Fucking Windows XP Service Pack 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucking Windows XP Service Pack 2

So I install this yesterday because I figure it might be nice to get up to date on security features and whatnot. How wrong I was. Right after I installed it my computer went to shit. Takes ten minutes to start up now and a bunch of programs don't work. Even when I try to remove the program through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel I'm faced with another dilemma: a Windows NT Countdown to Shutdown.

Anybody read anything about this or know what the problem is? I'm gonna get it checked out soon but was wondering if there's an immediate fix.
    Let's see,
    I've been banned over twenty
    times, I make fun of everyone
    besides body-builders. (I give
    them the time of day). And I've
    created more new accounts
    than someone who practices
    identity theft.
    Truly, I have no life and I need
    making fun of others to replen-
    ish my self esteem.
    -Jeff (Swoll)

I think there's an option when you install SP2 if you want to be able to remove it after you install it. If you checked this, you should be able to uninstall it. If you didn't then I think you're either stuck or else u need to reformat.
    Be Humble or Get Humbled

Comment

Apparently I'm gonna have to reformat. What a kick in the nuts. Really wish those fucks at Microsoft would include some disclaimers before downloading.
      Let's see,
      I've been banned over twenty
      times, I make fun of everyone
      besides body-builders. (I give
      them the time of day). And I've
      created more new accounts
      than someone who practices
      identity theft.
      Truly, I have no life and I need
      making fun of others to replen-
      ish my self esteem.
      -Jeff (Swoll)

Comment

yeah dude this same thing happened to me
        it happened a while ago but i belive i had to reinstall the OS
        and then reminded myself to NEVER get XP updates cuz PCs SUCK!
        'LOVES IT!'

Don`t be a groupie keep it movin

Comment

Where'd you hear you'd have to reformat? I'd wait because a lot of times there are fixes to these kind of things. What programs don't work? And what do they say when you try to run them? There are many different things you could at least. If the programs that don't work fail to run at all, it's possible some of their entries in the registry got fucked up. If the programs don't start at all, it'd be a good try to reinstall them and maybe they will.

If the programs that don't work are either a popup killer, a virus scanner, a firewall or any other security program, it might be because the new windows features are messing something up. You can turn those security features off.

How many times have you tried restarting your computer? Usually the first restart after a major update takes a lot longer.

Though it doesn't sound like it your case, that countdown to windows nt shutdown happens a lot when people have viruses (though I don't think it'd happen in XP2). It could be that some other program is causing problems with your current configuration. If that's the case, going into safe mode (press F8 repeatedly during startup and a menu will pop up) and trying might help you see where the problem's coming from.

Another thing you might want to try is to re-download SP2 somehow. I don't know if that's even possible, but maybe something went wrong during the installation and if you install it again whatever got fucked up will get fixed. Again, I don't know if this is even an option, but if it's possible, you should try this.

Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Maybe it's a known problem and there's a patch that can fix something. You could also check the Microsoft help webpage. I can't remember if it's called msdn or if that's something else, but it'd be worth a try to type in something like 'SP2 startup takes too long.' Maybe it's a known issue there.

Go to start/run and type in msconfig. Go to the startup tab. If anything looks particularly suspicious, unchecking it will make sure that next time you restart your computer it won't open at the same time.

I'm going to be gone all night, but if erasing everything is a big deal (like if you have a lot of data to back up or something -- or if you're scared you might forget something and not back it up), then maybe you should wait before you reformat. I've had all kindsa shit like this happen to me, maybe I'll be able to help. You can IM me at TonyL9. But if it's not a big deal then it'll probably just be easier to do that anyway. If you do that, I recommend using firefox as a browser if you're not going to go to SP2. It's much more customizable (which is fun), just as smooth, just as fast, has virutally the same interface but is overall a much better browser. It has tabbed browsing and is overall much more safe than IE is (if you already use firefox you're probably rolling your eyes by now).

Anyway, good luck with it. Hopefully something here will help - but it could be a genuine unfixable problem requiring a reformat. Either way, happy St. Patrick's Day!

EDIT: I'm not trying to say IE caused your problem, I'm just saying there are other options instead of SP2, such as firefox and using firewalls that you have in terms of making your computer more secure.
          Last edited by SlamboS; 03-17-2005, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Drago
            Apparently I'm gonna have to reformat. What a kick in the nuts. Really wish those fucks at Microsoft would include some disclaimers before downloading.
            There was talk about this ages before it was made available. Microsoft even had a section of their site dedicated to upgrading to Service Pack 2, and they had a list of programs that most likely wouldn't work after upgrading to SP2.

you might just need to update the driver for the program(s) that isn't/aren't working. usually by visiting the manufacturers website, you can get those drivers.

but ya, search the net for ways to roll-back or to fix your problem without having to format.
            in my home country of Soviet Russia, road forks you.

Comment

Can you tell us what programs arent working too?
              Be Humble or Get Humbled

Comment

1. switch to linux

2. you can alter your config file so that that ton of shit doesn't startup on startup. to do this goto your start menu then click run type in 'MSConfig' and in the last 2 tabs you have your options as to what you would like to start up.

but i highly suggest switching to linux.
                ks

Comment

just do a system restore to an earlier time, its under accessories in the strart menu... should work. but yeah everything everone said above is also good, except reformatting. do NOT refomayt because of that.. thats jsut being stupid and is the fix to every fucktarded idiot who cant use a computer. dont reformat theres are plenty of other options.
                  Street Games

Comment

I had the same shit.. I'm not updating it again
                    "Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.. Thats God Damn Right"

Comment

get a mac, i did, and everything is flawless
                      And don't answer back, this is hard shit to follow
                      And you can't spit *****, so you obviously must swallow(masta ace)

Comment

Not saying is the best thing, but sticking to SP1 and the most basic win updates(blaster/sasser patches) and having up to date 3rd party security can help if you do not want to use sp2.

Comment

You're meant to install SP2 after you just formatted.
                          "Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile."
                          - Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

i fucking hate SP2, it keeps popping up to tell me i got no firewall when i do :\, i was gonna uninstall it but i don't want to get exploited.
                            Cain is for Charlie, and Delta is for Cain

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Bynarden, 02-19-2021, 10:43 AM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Ole Lorelei  
                            Started by Smilert, 12-23-2020, 06:03 AM