Motherboard? **Need major help**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard? **Need major help**

ok, so last summer I purchased a dell dimension XPS gen 3 with a P4 extreme edition /w ht processor, 4 GB ram, ATI radeon pro 800 Xt, and 500 gb RAID 0 HDD. I set it up around september, and used it throughout the school year until May. At that point, I packed it up securely and took it back home, where I didn't use it the summer. A few days ago, I brought it back up here and whenever I plugged it in to the surge protector, it would made a fan noise and sometimes come on, though it would start to load normally then make a very loud fan noise for about 10 seconds and then stop loading. It would not continue loading to windows and nothing appeared on the monitor, however one time a black screen came on and it said, "System memory change". At this point, I could bypass to Windows, where everything worked fine.

So I called Dell tech support and they had me re-seat the memory modules, and it still didn't work. I checked the 4 letters on the back of the computer, and A & B were working, but B & D were not. They sent some technicians yesterday to install a new motherboard, and when they turned it on it was working fine. However, when I restarted my computer today, the same black screen that had "memory change" come on again today, although this time it said "DRIVE 1 SATA not found, DRIVE 3 SATA not found". I could bypass to windows, HOWEVER, it was taking 1-2 minutes for the contents in my computer to appear (the flashlight with folder was moving), which it had never done before. I also tried turning on the internet, and it would not work. I tried replugging my ethernet cord, and went nextdoor to my roomate's, and their's was working fine.

I opened the back of the computer, and there are 2 blue cords plugged in Drive 0 and Drive 2. I tried replugging them in, but the black screen still came up

At this point I don't know if the first time they replaced the motherboard if it was actually the motherboard, or if this time they didn't plug something in right. If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, any advice would help. Thanks
    ------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
    I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

It could be a whole host of things, from a failing hard disk, to a faulty power supply, to a bad motherboard. First I would download a utility for your hard disks (whoever makes them) and they usually have a diagnostic program you can run to see if it give any errors. If that doesnt come up with anything, I would try taking out the motherboard and see if you see any burnt marks on the bottom side. It's possible a capacitor blew. Anyways you may have more luck posting or searchin on this forum:

http://forum.pcmech.com/

They could help you better than I can
    Be Humble or Get Humbled

Comment

lol fuckin dell technicians can't even get a computer to work. There really a miriad of things that might have gone wrong. One quick thing to check for is new SATA cables. MIght help.

Comment

You could always try going into the BIOS and see if your drives are detected.

If not, try checking all the cables and also make sure the jumpers are set properly.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by pdumbgukogqw, Today, 02:18 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post pdumbgukogqw  
        Started by Nancystarkman, Today, 12:34 AM