Question about Electoral votes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Electoral votes...

You know, I've been confused since 2000, but I let it pass by as I'm not American. So, enlight of the new election, could someone clear this up? My question is : If Bush only won by 400 votes in Florida, how did he get all of Florida's electoral seats?

Maybe I can't count (or, I'm illiterate, in this case), but the last time I checked, 16,000,000 (Sixteen Million) people occupied Florida.

Can anyone help me answer this? I'm VERY curious!

Thanks!

Oh, I'm acting like a dumbass idiot because I want to point of that Bush is a fraudulent puppet controlled by corperate pigs like Chaney. Fuck Bush. America is becoming a dictatorship. Thanks Bush!
    change must come from within

If you win the state it's all or nothing. If you win the state by 1 vote or by 1 million votes you get the whole electoral college.

Gore won New Mexico by less than the 500 or so Bush won Florida with. Gore got all off the electoral votes for New Mexico.

Comment

States are all or nothing. You can win the popular vote in the country but lose the election, like bush did, by winning more states. The way Bush won was by winning many close races in places like Florida. The reason Al Gore won the popular vote is because he overwelmingly won in typical democratic states like california, new jersey, and new york.
      Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

LOL let me explain this

Popular votes for the presidental election doesn't count for ANYTHING...it's just for kicks so you can feel like your in a free country.

The Electoral College is a controversial mechanism of presidential elections that was created by the framers of the U.S. Constitution as a compromise for the presidential election process. At the time, some politicians believed a purely popular election was too reckless, while others objected to giving Congress the power to select the president. The compromise was to set up an Electoral College system that allowed voters to vote for electors, who would then cast their votes for candidates, a system described in Article II, section 1 of the Constitution.

Each state has a number of electors equal to the number of its U.S. senators (2 in each state) plus the number of its U.S. representatives, which varies according to the state's population. Currently, the Electoral College includes 538 electors, 535 for the total number of congressional members, and three who represent Washington, D.C., as allowed by the 23rd Amendment. On the Monday following the second Wednesday in December, the electors of each state meet in their respective state capitals to officially cast their votes for president and vice president. These votes are then sealed and sent to the president of the Senate, who on Jan. 6 opens and reads the votes in the presence of both houses of Congress. The winner is sworn into office at noon Jan. 20. Most of the time, electors cast their votes for the candidate who has received the most votes in that particular state. However, there have been times when electors have voted contrary to the people's decision, which is entirely legal.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college.htm

http://www.d12world.com/board/showth...ight=Electoral

Comment

Originally posted by BriMcFly88
          States are all or nothing. You can win the popular vote in the country but lose the election, like bush did, by winning more states. The way Bush won was by winning many close races in places like Florida. The reason Al Gore won the popular vote is because he overwelmingly won in typical democratic states like california, new jersey, and new york.
          Thats not entirely true. There are some states where the electoral votes are won by each electoral district. I think Colorado has a proposal for this for the upcoming election. I think there are a couple others too. Anyways its up to the states to decide how they give up their electoral college votes.
          Be Humble or Get Humbled

Comment

^ Thats true
            Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecworks.htm

That's a pretty good page about it right there... Explains the whole process

Comment

Jeezus christ that shit is complicated. Why dont they just tally up votes, whoever has more wins... wouldnt that make things easier?
                Originally posted by ethan20
                There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
                Originally posted by reservoirGod
                Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                  Jeezus christ that shit is complicated. Why dont they just tally up votes, whoever has more wins... wouldnt that make things easier?
                  I think it's from back when America just started. People mostly held jobs like farmers etc and never concerned themselves much in political affairs. A lot of people argue (and I don't know it might actually be a fact), that the people at the time were seen as too dumb to be able to correctly informed, so the people voted for "electors" who knew more about the situation and could make an informed vote. Things have changed now, however. Some people argue that now the electoral college is unfair because it's possible (but still pretty rare) that a person can win the popular vote but not win the electoral college. To complicate things even further, a president can't win merely if more people vote for him than anyone else, actually over half of the electoral votes must go for one candidate. (Must have a majority and not a plurality).

Only good use in the electoral college is that it gives states (like a lot of the midwest farming states) with a lower population more of a say. If we went only by popular votes and the farmers were pretty split, the candidates wouldn't bother to campaign there because the votes are elsewhere. But since it's all or nothing it forces the candidates to campaign to people all over. So it's good and bad and it depends on how you think a democracy should run as to whether or not the electoral college is fair.

A lot of our leaders are picked by a majority vote, but the president isn't. Some people think that's not fair, some people think it's more fair (because of what I said in the previous paragraph). There was a big push to change the system but personally I doubt it'll happen. It's been around for a long time and has worked just fine until the dispute in 2000. It'd be a big deal to change something like that, we'd have to really change the constitution.

Comment

^^^^^^
                    Because the for-fathers made this so Northern States could not over-power Southern States. It's part of the Constitution, its Liberals that always complain about the Constitution.

Maine has its votes divided up. I think States should divide there votes up thought into county's.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by dfhjhfjn, Yesterday, 10:36 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post dfhjhfjn  
                    Started by Monret, 09-06-2020, 01:05 AM