• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -So Much For Kerry's "Theory of Homosexuality"

Ex-Homosexuals Feel Insulted by Kerry's 'Born Gay' Comment
    By Robert B. Bluey
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    October 15, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. John Kerry's declaration Wednesday that homosexuals don't have a choice about their sexual orientation has enraged individuals who identify themselves as "ex-gays."

In response to a question at the third presidential debate, Kerry made reference to Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter, Mary. Kerry said she was "being who she was born as." His response angered Lynne Cheney, the vice president's wife, as well as ex-homosexuals.

"Senator Kerry, in his answer, basically invalidated me as a person," said Jeralee Smith, a self-proclaimed former lesbian who runs a support group for "ex-gay" educators. "I have experienced significant change in my sexual orientation and my feelings."

Kerry's comment came in response to a question moderator Bob Schieffer of CBS News directed at President Bush. Schieffer asked, "Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?"

Bush told Schieffer he didn't know. But when Schieffer turned to Kerry, the Massachusetts senator immediately brought up Mary Cheney as evidence that homosexuals are born that way.

"I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as," Kerry said. "I think if you talk to anybody, it's not choice. I've met people who struggled with this for years, people who were in a marriage because they were living a sort of convention, and they struggled with it."

Ex-homosexuals told CNSNews.com that Kerry obviously didn't have a grasp of the issue. Even though some research has pointed the possibility of a "gay gene," other scientific studies have shown that environmental factors are equally responsible for a person's sexual orientation.

Shortly after Kerry made the remark Wednesday, reaction started pouring into Warren Throckmorton, a professor at Grove City College in Pennsylvania. Throckmorton said ex-homosexuals expressed outrage to him about Kerry's comment.

"Kerry's views, unfortunately, present a view of homosexuality that science does not support," Throckmorton said. "Bush, wisely, has reserved judgment and his views are closer to where science has progressed to at this point. I'm concerned that Kerry misled the country."

Throckmorton, considered an authority on sexual orientation research, recently released his own documentary, "I Do Exist," which chronicles the lives of ex-homosexuals.

"If people are born gay and they're being who they are, then what about all these ex-gays?" he asked. "What about all the people on my film, 'I Do Exist,' who once believed they were born gay, but through a process of change and reflection, now are attracted exclusively to the opposite sex."

One of the people who contacted Throckmorton was Chad Thompson, 25, of Des Moines, Iowa, who described himself to CNSNews.com as someone who was confused about his sexuality as a teenager. Thompson runs a group called Inqueery, which helps ex-homosexuals in schools.

"It sounds like John Kerry is saying that I don't exist," Thompson said. "I certainly wouldn't want someone representing me who isn't even willing to acknowledge that I'm here."

Thompson added: "I wasn't surprised by the position that he took. But the way in which he stated it really was an insult to the tens of thousands of people that have struggled with homosexual orientation and have chosen to come out on the other side."

A spokesman for the Kerry campaign didn't return a message Thursday. The Human Rights Campaign, a homosexual activist group supporting Kerry, released a statement Wednesday accusing Bush of putting "politics ahead of the science" on the homosexual choice question.

Some ex-homosexuals wish Bush knew more about them so he could have given a more definitive answer at the debate. One such person is Alan Chambers, executive director of Exodus International, a Christian ministry that counsels homosexuals.

In his personal capacity, Chambers, a former homosexual, supports Bush. In a letter he drafted to the president, Chambers said he was proud of Bush's leadership, but he wanted him to better understand the issue and get to know ex-homosexuals.

"We all have a choice to do what is best, and with regard to acting on my homosexual feelings and inclinations, I did not choose God's best for me or for society when I chose to act upon them," Chambers wrote. "However, I did finally choose to live beyond those feelings and today I am not a homosexual nor am I tempted to be one."

Exodus International plans to make a public pitch Friday, said Randy Thomas, the ministry's communications director. Thomas, also an ex-homosexual, said he was personally offended by Kerry's comments, but not necessarily surprised.

"There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that would suggest people are born gay," Thomas said. "It's a simplistic answer that will pander to people that he is winking at when he says he is not for gay marriage. But in reality, he promotes rhetoric that is straight out of a gay activist brochure."

Kerry's answer aside, ex-homosexuals had praise for Schieffer for merely asking the question in the fashion he did.

"Just the fact that the question was asked was incredible," said Smith, a teacher from Grand Terrace, Calif. "It is indicative of the progress we've made as a movement."

Source
    The award comes from man, but the reward comes from God.
    -- Denzel Washington

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/answers.html

...the concept of 'curing homosexuality' or 'homosexuality as a disease' has been largely dismissed by mental health professionals. However, there persists a religious movement expounding an 'alternative' psychology that still regards homosexuality as a disorder and one that is curable through 'conversion'...

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...d%20psychology
    "When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So you can "turn" gay now? Bullshit.

You are born straight if you are straight. Period. That said, I can understand that people get confused about things and THINK they may be something they aren't. That doesn't mean they are gay one minute and straight the next. That is nonsense.

If we witness homosexuality amongst other animals, we know it isn't a choice. Animals don't make choices.

Comment

anyone who thinks it'a a choice is a fucking moron, period. there is no room for discussion
        fun facts about canada from real experts!

Originally posted by TheRealAshland
        if you didnt know canada has laws against cursing i do belive
        Originally posted by PlasticSturgeon
        gotta love the 80% of each dollar being taken from you and not being able to own gun's.

Comment

To much to read...
          .::Wins::. 0
          .::Losses::. 0
          .::K.O.S::. 0

Free Agent

Comment

Hahahha... as if you actually tried to pass this garbage off Petey Pop. This is a new low even for a Bush sperm-bank such as yourself...

Its not "Kerry's theory" of homosexuality genius, its a theory put forth by mainstream science. Kerry was simply saying he agreed with it.

lol @ the whole concept of "ex-gay".... If the person was "confused" about his sexuality, he was never gay to begin with, just confused. There is a difference.

As if the guy is saying he doesnt trust Kerry to represent him because of one comment that mainstream science supports.... idiots like that shouldnt have the right to vote.
            Originally posted by ethan20
            There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
            Originally posted by reservoirGod
            Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
              So you can "turn" gay now? Bullshit.

You are born straight if you are straight. Period. That said, I can understand that people get confused about things and THINK they may be something they aren't. That doesn't mean they are gay one minute and straight the next. That is nonsense.

If we witness homosexuality amongst other animals, we know it isn't a choice. Animals don't make choices.
              Well said, I completely agree. People can choose what gender they are with, but they can't choose whom they are attracted to. A lot of people that claim to "change" orientation (or in their mind, preference) are merely doing so for attention, or experimenting.
              *gnaws shoulder*

Comment

ex gays? LMAO. Boy, people will come up with all kinds of stuff to try and make Kerry look bad. All they have to do to make Bush look bad is state a few important facts.
                This headache is awful, this anesthetics pathetic , so is this diabetic waffle, and my prosthetic arm keeps crushing my hard taco!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KikyouNoKokoro
                  Well said, I completely agree. People can choose what gender they are with, but they can't choose whom they are attracted to. A lot of people that claim to "change" orientation (or in their mind, preference) are merely doing so for attention, or experimenting.
                  lol inuyasha fanboy detected heh
                  Bitch I'ma kill you! Like a murder weapon, I'ma conceal you in a closet with mildew, sheets, pillows and film you

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectDark
                    lol inuyasha fanboy detected heh
                    1. I'm female.
                    2. I don't even like the Inu Yasha much, just one character.
                    3. That's irrelevant.
                    *gnaws shoulder*

Comment

lol @ ex-homosexuals

Comment

Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                        Hahahha... as if you actually tried to pass this garbage off Petey Pop. This is a new low even for a Bush sperm-bank such as yourself...

Its not "Kerry's theory" of homosexuality genius, its a theory put forth by mainstream science. Kerry was simply saying he agreed with it.

lol @ the whole concept of "ex-gay".... If the person was "confused" about his sexuality, he was never gay to begin with, just confused. There is a difference.

As if the guy is saying he doesnt trust Kerry to represent him because of one comment that mainstream science supports.... idiots like that shouldnt have the right to vote.
                        -blah blah blah... stop whining already... the title of this thread was for giggles... your just mad because Kerry is going to lose because he continues to shoot himself in the foot...

-also, if Kerry and Edwards can't find a better way to illustrate their points than by bringing up and mentioning the sexual preferences of their opponent's child, then these two just aren't NEAR as bright as you guys make them out to be...
                        The award comes from man, but the reward comes from God.
                        -- Denzel Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Petey Pop
                          -blah blah blah... stop whining already... the title of this thread was for giggles... your just mad because Kerry is going to lose because he continues to shoot himself in the foot...

-also, if Kerry and Edwards can't find a better way to illustrate their points than by bringing up and mentioning the sexual preferences of their opponent's child, then these two just aren't NEAR as bright as you guys make them out to be...
                          Well it's an important issue and it is important that people know that the President and the VP disagree on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
                            Well it's an important issue and it is important that people know that the President and the VP disagree on the issue.
                            Exactly. The reason he brought it up was simple: to demonstrate the inconsistencies with republicans. Cheney is pretty much Bush's right hand man. You've got Bush who's trying to get gay marriage ban and Cheney who doesn't agree with it.

There's pretty much no harm, except republican anger, that comes from this.
                            Die hard religious groups who hate gays will see that the bush administration is hypocrital....but this will not cause them to switch from bush to kerry. Similary pro gay people aren't going to switch kerry to bush.

But of the media wins...they'll just keep hyping this. On other note, it's ok for republicans to bash gays, but when a democrat brings the topic up to make an endorsement for gays, republicans rip him apart. Desperate hypocritical fuckers.

Edit: Do you have a better link for the story? I don't trust CNSNews...they're the ones who fabricated a report that WMDs had been found.
                            Last edited by trex; 10-17-2004, 10:02 PM.
                            My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
                            How Do You Listen To Music?

Comment

kerry should die
                              "The glock stay on me and the knife's for backup, I'm comin to the Vibe Awards, I dare you to act up!"- Young Buck

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by touhidfiverr, Today, 05:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post touhidfiverr  
                              Started by cbdoilcanzanauk, Today, 12:54 AM
                              0 responses