Canadian flu vaccine OK for Bush but not drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian flu vaccine OK for Bush but not drugs

TORONTO -- When U.S. President George W. Bush spoke of importing Canadian flu vaccine during Wednesday's election debate, many in the U.S. public health community were struck by the irony of an administration that slams the door on cheaper Canadian drugs but looks north for help with an embarrassing vaccine shortage.

"We're working with Canada to hopefully ... help us realize the vaccine necessary to make sure our citizens have got flu vaccinations during this upcoming season," Bush said.

Commenting in an interview yesterday, Dr. William Schaffner, a member of the U.S. advisory committee on immunization practices, said: "It seemed ironic to many of us who were watching that the president had kind of disparaged the importation of Canadian (prescription) drugs but seemed to be interested in exploring the possibility of importing Canadian vaccine."

Schaffner and others took it as a hopeful indication the administration was looking into the possibility of purchasing flu shots from Canada's major influenza vaccine manufacturer, ID Biomedical of Vancouver. The company has between one million and 1.5 million surplus doses it has offered to sell to American authorities who have been scrambling since vaccine giant Chiron Corp. revealed it could not provide the up to 48 million doses it had contracted to supply to the U.S. market.

Their hopes may have been dampened later in the day, though, when Tommy Thompson, the U.S. secretary of health, said it was doubtful vaccine from producers not licensed in the United States could be imported to help with this year's massive shortage.

"It doesn't look promising," Thompson said in Washington.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration would not comment on any talks it might be having with ID Biomedical.

If Schaffner and his friends in public health were chuckling over the apparent contradiction in U.S. policy towards drug imports from Canada, others weren't amused.

"They've been disparaging the Canadian drug system, saying how it's a buyer beware situation, completely unsafe, can't guarantee the safety," said David MacKay, executive director of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association. "Then the moment that they need to go to Canada to find our flu vaccines, all of a sudden, magically, things are safe."

The association represents Internet pharmacies that have earned the ire of the U.S. administration by shipping cheaper Canadian prescription drugs to American consumers.

"It's absolutely ironic and ludicrous to think that (U.S. regulators) can assure safety for flu vaccines ... but they won't do it for life-saving Lipitor (a cholesterol-lowering statin) as well," MacKay said.

"What's the difference between flu vaccine and Lipitor?"

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...15/669716.html

Bush = #1 Tool

damned hypocritical bitch. Bush bring shame even to america closest ally.
    Bitch I'ma kill you! Like a murder weapon, I'ma conceal you in a closet with mildew, sheets, pillows and film you

Comment

yup they come crawling back when their supplies are limited...hypocrits.
      My Eclectic Music Taste

Last.fm Users,
      How Do You Listen To Music?

Comment

ha ha ha

still want to move to the States for your healthcare, Triumph?
        Originally posted by ethan20
        There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
        Originally posted by reservoirGod
        Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

^ That comment makes no sense? A flu vaccine that comes from England was contaminated and the officials are working with Canadians to get more vaccines for the flu season.

None of you understand the argument for why the USA does not accept shipments from Canada. It is not that we do not trust canada's healthcare system (although sars was an embarassment of sorts), we do not trust the possibility that people are buying from Canada not knowing that the medicine they are getting was bought from a third world country. No other country in the world has standards and regulations as strict as the USA and if other countries do not meet the requirements... then shiiit, we dont accept. I don't agree with it but i'm sure something will change.
          Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
            ha ha ha

still want to move to the States for your healthcare, Triumph?
            Yes, you'd be crazy not too....at least there I wouldn't have to sit on a waitlist for six months while people who don't even pay taxes get in before me......
            http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

Originally posted by BriMcFly88
              ^ That comment makes no sense? A flu vaccine that comes from England was contaminated and the officials are working with Canadians to get more vaccines for the flu season.

None of you understand the argument for why the USA does not accept shipments from Canada. It is not that we do not trust canada's healthcare system (although sars was an embarassment of sorts), we do not trust the possibility that people are buying from Canada not knowing that the medicine they are getting was bought from a third world country. No other country in the world has standards and regulations as strict as the USA and if other countries do not meet the requirements... then shiiit, we dont accept. I don't agree with it but i'm sure something will change.
              Dude plz shut ur fucken mouth lol every post u make is FULL OF BS seriously ignorent like u are the worst thing in this world next to bush lol. (imwstupid
              Bitch I'ma kill you! Like a murder weapon, I'ma conceal you in a closet with mildew, sheets, pillows and film you

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectDark
                Dude plz shut ur fucken mouth lol every post u make is FULL OF BS seriously ignorent like u are the worst thing in this world next to bush lol. (imwstupid
                In other words Bri, he can't quite grasp the concept of your post.

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

Originally posted by Triumph
                  Yes, you'd be crazy not too....at least there I wouldn't have to sit on a waitlist for six months while people who don't even pay taxes get in before me......
                  Must suck to be in the prairies. I havent even waited a month for anything I've ever needed.

They dont accept shipments because of the lower pricing and competitive advantage we get because of it. We have extremely high health standards as well, and SARS was overblown by the media considering 5 times as many people got the fucking flu.

SARS was China's fuckup, not ours in the least. We havent had nearly as many mad cow disease outbreaks here either.

My ass we dont meet American standards of health.. lol yeah, north of the border here we are a bunch of barbarians.
                  There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.

Comment

Must suck to be in the prairies. I havent even waited a month for anything I've ever needed..
                    I have never waited for health service here in the prairies. I have asthma, so I've been into the system a few times during my life. Never have I had to wait for any reason.

Comment

So I guess Triumphs the only Canadian to have to wait for 6 months. Sucks to be him I guess.

Comment

So I guess Triumphs the only Canadian to have to wait for 6 months. Sucks to be him I guess.
                        Neither of you will understand, due to the fact your not in Saskatchewan.....there are major differences between us and Alberta.....our waiting lists are one of them, trust me, my buddy rolled his car one time just 45 minutes from North Battleford....if I would have went to a hospital all the way back in Alberta, I would have seen a doctor quicker then having to drive to North Battleford and wait 5 1/2 hours to see a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Triumph
                          Neither of you will understand, due to the fact your not in Saskatchewan.....there are major differences between us and Alberta.....our waiting lists are one of them, trust me, my buddy rolled his car one time just 45 minutes from North Battleford....if I would have went to a hospital all the way back in Alberta, I would have seen a doctor quicker then having to drive to North Battleford and wait 5 1/2 hours to see a doctor.
                          That's fucked. I have never heard of something so crazy before, but I don't really doubt it. I would be crazy to suggest that there aren't flaws with our system, but I think that it's a good system at it's core.

Comment

^^ Exactly. It does suck about the wait time, thats for sure... but think of this, if you were one of the less fortunate in America, after rolling your car, there could be a good chance that you would have to go home and stich yourself up, because no Hospital would treat you, period.

Comment

^^ Exactly. It does suck about the wait time, thats for sure... but think of this, if you were one of the less fortunate in America, after rolling your car, there could be a good chance that you would have to go home and stich yourself up, because no Hospital would treat you, period.
                              That's what I'm saying.

A little side story here if I may:
                              My buddy recently got surgery on his elbow. Completely minor surgery to remove a chip of bone. He made an appointment to see his doctor on a Monday and a week later (yes ONE week later) he was on the table.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ashwagandhacbd, Today, 12:20 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ashwagandhacbd  
                              Started by ashwagandhacbd, Today, 12:19 AM