Asking for Open Minded Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for Open Minded Thinking

I understand that many people dislike Bush as a President, and they want him out. I am a Republican by ideals, yet I am voting for Kerry. I don't particularly like Kerry, but there are a number of things we must stop in the next 4 years, some of which I will list below. I agree with President Bush's overall vision. A vision that most politicians in D.C. agree with, but will not admit in Public. That is, the destruction of several regimes around the world- Iran and North Korea being the key players. Yesterday, Iran rejected the International Atomic Energy Association's proposal to exchange Nuclear Technology for Iran stopping their Uranium enrichment program. As a consultant for an Independent organization, I myself have seen sufficient evidence to condemn these regimes. That being said, I cannot agree with the other things Bush intends to do:

1) Labeling citizens as Enemy Combatants- Through the Patriot Act II, the President hopes to gain the ability to label United States Citizens as Enemy Combatants. All these fancy words mean that citizens who are labeled as such will not receive a proper trial, and can be held in confinement for an extended period of time with no cause of imprisonment. Basically, if we want to maintain our essential rights, the Patriot Act must be left to expire, and another legislation should be passed, one that works toward the security of our great country but retains the civil liberties that Americans have fought so hard for in the past.

2) Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage- As straight as I am, I cannot allow an amendment to be made to the constitution that would ban the right of Gay U.S. Citizens to marry. Without marriage, they cannot receive the special tax credit that regular couples receive, and will be looked upon often as outcasts. President Clinton first signed a bill defining marriage as "a marriage between a man and a woman", and now Bush is attempting to put it into the Constitution. I am afraid I disagree with both parties on this. Come on, I know these politicians are old fashioned folk, but we need tolerance.

3) Outcasted by the World- Our near unilateral decision to attack Iraq has hurt us in the political world. Don't get me wrong, the War is just in the essence of it- the removal of Saddam Hussein. An Iraqi I met lost 8 of his family members to Saddam's purges. I personally lived in a country where Marshal Law was normal. Whats Marshal Law? Basically, if civilians were caught walking the streets after dark, they would be shot without asking questions. I can't tell you how many times I've waited at night for my cousin to get home from work during the curfew. Climbing walls and hiding in bushes is not something you would want to do. Also, France, Germany, and Russia received their share of oil contracts from Saddam, so its pretty clear why they opposed it. But in the end, our decision was not carefully made, and we are paying for it now.

4) Privatization of Social Security- The very definition of the term "Social Security" signals that the Government will provide full financial security for its citizens once they reach a certain age. Investing Social Security tax money in stocks is something that we should never do. That would be putting that money in jeopardy. Bush wants to do this.

Okay so this looks like an attack on Bush. I guess it is, but its not malicious. He did a lot of good things as President, but he had his share of mistakes- mistakes that the President should not make. Once again, don't get me wrong, I share his views on Foreign Policy and some Domestic Issues, but we cannot lose our fundamental rights and liberties. I wasn't born in America, but I am very grateful for being here. If I had remained in the country of my birth, I would have absolutely no future, and I would be caught in the Rebellion that is now going on there. Growing up in this country, I have been part of the Military/Govt infrastructure for quite some time, so I understand how important our National Security is. But National Security also includes the security and freedom of the very citizens we are fighting for. Let us preserve those freedoms. Thanks for reading this, guys, I am glad you are involved in Politics- it is both interesting, as well as essential to the overall flow of our country. As usual, feel free to argue or discuss. Its great being able to do this and not be censored. God I love this country.
    I came to save these new generations of babies
    from parents who failed to raise 'em cause they're lazy

- Eminem

#1. I totally agree with it - the patriot act went a little too far.

#2. Regarding gay marriage, they are both against it. Bush doesn't intend to make marriage illegal for gays, his idea is to make an amendment that defines what marriage is - this way all states are on the same footing. As of now, people can get married in one state and go to another and it not be recognized.

#3. The world has hated us on and off for decades. Reagan was not liked by europe because of his stance against the soviets... he was a hardliner. He wasn't well received until his second term. Basically Europe likes America when we kiss their ass, let them get what they want, and give them more power. Although they deserve a spot in the world in the power category, they are not yet a match for the USA and naturally the USA should carry more weight in world affairs. Economically, militarily, and influencially.. Europe does not add up yet.

#4. If you understand investing you will realize this has the potential (keyword) to be the best thing for social security. The fact is, the current workers cannot afford to supply the retiring baby boomers with money - unless they double your social security tax. Here is how social security works right now...

Everybody is taxed up until the first 87,900 they make at 6.2%
    - your employer matches that with 6.2% also

Medicare is taxed at around 1.65
    - It is also matched by your employer

Say you pay $2,000 one year in social security taxes and $400 in medicare, you pay $2400 and your job pays $2400 and together you put in $4800. Sounds great, except it does NOT take into effect population variations. Europe (particularily germany and spain) are in MASSIVE trouble right now because of the fact that they have an abundance of retirees. We have about 15 years until our system will no longer work.

Instead of having a social security system with a time lag, meaning current workers fund current retirees, the government wants to (and should) lead to a system where the money you put in funds YOUR retirement. That $4800 a year put into an IRA for 40 years will be over $3-4million when you retire - in todays dollars. Social security does NOT even compare.

You can guarantee every citizen will get their social security money - the economy would collapse if it did not pay it out. The best way to go from our time-lag system to the better Stock investment system would be to raise the social security tax to about 8% and invest the extra 1.8 percent in stocks and slowly increase it as retirees die out, while decreasing the amount that goes to the government now.

Under the new system we would achieve some awesome results.
    #1. You will have accumulated TONS more because of the compounding of interest. instead of you paying the government and them paying it out right away, your paying your retirement and its gaining interest every year.
    #2. The more you put in & the more you work the more money you will receive.
    #3. You can retire at any age once you have enough to live off of.
    #4. You will control more of your money - a republican ideal

There is a saying that goes "if its not broke, dont fix it". Unfortunately, Social Security will break unless we fix it. It is something that is inevitable. Social Security WAS a great asset and now it is holding us down and affecting our cash flows. We can either overly tax future workers or find a better way - one that does not rely on debt and population waves.

Good thread by the way.
    Last edited by BriMcFly88; 10-23-2004, 01:39 PM.
    Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

he's a communist! GET HIM!!
      My aliases:
      TheMan
      OnTheShelf
      Masai
      =W= (the poster formally known as TWIB)

Comment

We have to do something with social security as the baby boomers are retiring, so we won't have enough money to pay for social security.. We could lower how much s.s. we pay to the retired but a higher percentage of old people vote so that won't happen, we have to higher the tax on s.s. and the only way that can benifit someone is by putting some of itt in a trust fund...I think this is a fairly good idea
        http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=7510604

Bid cheap on item on ebay get outbidded takes 30 sec

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. In response to the post by justp1ayin, I am not sure if you were joking, but I am no communist. I don't know how else to say this, but you'd know if you looked at my record.

Bri, excellent reply. Its clear you understand the Domestic Policy much better than myself, so props to you. I also agree with what you said in #3, regarding the world. By and large, we have always been the one who has had to save the world in the past, whether its World War I, II, Desert Storm, Kosovo, and a host of other conflicts. I guess I'll give you what I think of the War in Iraq in the big picture.

We went to war with Kosovo, because a group of people were being massacred. This group of people were White Muslims, residing in a European Country. It took the courage of the United States to take action, after which Europe devoted troops. Okay thats cool, I agree with it, my bro fought in Kosovo.

In Iraq, muslims were also being massacred, but they had brown skin, and were residing in the Middle East. Of course the world never answered their heed for help. Jac Chirac and Kofi Annan are too much of cowards to build up the strength in their spineless bodies to react to such a violation of human rights. France received $1.8 Billion from Saddam's Oil For Food program, a program that was supposed to devote money to Iraqi citizens, but the money never reached them. Gold AK-47's and Palaces made entirely of gold were purchased instead. Germany and Russia also made a Financial Killing with oil contracts from Iraq. The Oil For Food program was turned into a joke, and the UN (Unpowered Nations as I call them) didn't do a thing. We had to react, and we did so rightfully. But I believe that we reacted at the wrong time. We could have easily attacked Iraq in President Bush's second term, but now, the War has been a large factor in Kerry's Edge in the polls (well, edge according to some newspapers, some say that he's losing). Either way, it was a major factor in undecided voters.

Saddam Hussein has been captured. His sons have been killed. Nearly all of his officers have been captured. Its a great thing. I'd like it if Saddam Hussein was killed as well, I'd love to drag his carcass across the sands of Iraq in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Fuck the trial, give him the same mercy he gave 10's of thousands of the Iraqi's he gassed.

Okay, the other issues. Social Security. You definitely got that issue in the palm of your hand. I can't argue, haha, nice work. You've actually convinced me to return to the Republican Ideals on that one. (I am saving that text for future arguements against people, if you don't mind)

Regarding gay marriage, I know what you mean, about the act of defining marriage and making it consistent. But, I believe that although the sanctity of marriage is one of Bush's concerns, another one of his concerns is disallowing gay marriage. The reason I say this is that he has established his viewpoint that under the new Hate Crimes Legislation, Gay/Lesbian hate crimes should not be included. So, I think the "sanctity of marriage" is still his way of going around the issue.

And I definitely agree with you on the world power structure. The United States is the sole number one power, and it should remain that way. In the next few decades, we have a critical role to play in the world: That is, eliminating a few regimes and their leadership: Iran, North Korea, Syria, Lebanon, and relieve the crisis in Sudan, just to name a few.

I wish we could mix different traits of each candidate and create a President, but obviously we cannot. If John McCain was running, my vote would have definitely gone to him.

- Eminem

Comment

Originally posted by Shady Warrior
            Thanks for all your responses. In response to the post by justp1ayin, I am not sure if you were joking, but I am no communist. I don't know how else to say this, but you'd know if you looked at my record.

i was jokin...but you made me feel pretty damn stupid...
            My aliases:
            TheMan
            OnTheShelf
            Masai
            =W= (the poster formally known as TWIB)

Comment

Originally posted by justp1ayin
              i was jokin...but you made me feel pretty damn stupid...
              Damn, my bad man, didn't mean to do that. I appreciate the reply though. Nice Eminem site as well. Props.

- Eminem

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Deborahlanker, 05-06-2020, 03:07 AM
              1 response
              0 likes