X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator: Bush has no choice but to reinstate draft

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/vnews/.../417dc4f39c1c8

Sen. Tom Harkin/Iowa State Daily | October 27 2004

President Bush may or may not have a secret plan to reinstate the draft. But this is beside the point. The deteriorating facts on the ground in Iraq, plus the Bush doctrine of acting pre-emptively and unilaterally against hostile regimes, will soon leave him no choice. If President Bush is re-elected, he will have to restart the draft.

Indeed, President Bush has already imposed Stage 1 of a new draft. Many soldiers whose enlistment period is up are not being allowed to leave the service, and those who left the service years ago are being forced to put on the uniform again against their will. It is clear that we already have a backdoor draft.

President Bush has effectively ended the all-volunteer military.

And Stage 2 of a reinstated draft would be easy to implement. Draft boards are already in place in every county in America, and young men who turn 18 are already required to register with their local draft board. A major terrorist attack could easily serve as the pretext for flipping the switch and setting this apparatus in motion.

It is obvious that our armed forces are stretched dangerously thin.

We do not have enough people in uniform to meet current needs in Iraq and Afghanistan, much less to deal with a confrontation with Iran or North Korea.

Right now, total active Army and Marine personnel number about 655,000, and that includes support units, training units, headquarters personnel and others who do not see combat. In a long, drawn-out war like Vietnam or Iraq, units sent to the front lines have to be rotated out periodically and replaced by an equal number of forces.

Currently, we have 135,000 troops in Iraq, 20,000 in Afghanistan, roughly 100,000 in Asia, and more than 100,000 in Europe. Our armed forces have been strained to the breaking point. To fill the gaps and shortages, tens of thousands of National Guard soldiers and reservists have been called up.

But there is a cost to all of this. Morale is suffering, as evidenced by the recent refusal of an Army Reserve platoon to carry out an order. Enlistments and re-enlistments are down. The Army National Guard fell 10 percent short of its 2004 recruiting goal. The regular Army has had to ease up on standards in order to meet its recruiting goals.

What if all-out civil war breaks out in Iraq, and we have to increase our troop strength to 200,000 or 300,000 to quell it? What if a newly re-elected President Bush decides to act pre-emptively against Iran, Syria or North Korea?

Today, people are hesitant to join the National Guard or reserves because of skyrocketing odds of being sent into combat or kept away from family and a job for a year or longer.

So where would Bush get the manpower to pacify Iraq while pursuing the next phases of his doctrine of pre-emptive, unilateral war? There is only one viable option: a reinstated draft.

It is probably too much to expect President Bush to acknowledge this before Election Day. But we would do well to remember when President Lyndon Johnson was running for election in 1964. Voters were afraid that he had a secret plan to escalate the war in Vietnam.

He denied it, repeatedly promising, "I will not send American boys half way around the world to do a job that Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Johnson was re-elected. And sure enough, millions of American boys were drafted and sent halfway around the world to Vietnam. More than 17,000 of those draftees got killed in combat.

Today we have good reasons to fear the return of the draft. George W. Bush may have avoided the draft when he was a young man. But if reelected, he will not be able to avoid the draft as President.
    Your Canine Companion

good read.........does this help any of the Bush supportrs on this board change their mind? Im sure there are alot of you approaching 18 years of age or have a brother around that age. Now, is this war worth getting killed over? Do you still support Bush? Once again, a lie has been told by our president.
    This headache is awful, this anesthetics pathetic , so is this diabetic waffle, and my prosthetic arm keeps crushing my hard taco!!!

Comment

Exactly. The back-door draft already started.

The National Guard isnt even supposed to be deployed to foreign locations. Their purpose is to Guard the Nation. They dont fight the military's fight. I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time that they are being sent to fight for the military.
      Originally posted by ethan20
      There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
      Originally posted by reservoirGod
      Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

There will be no draft and if fighting to ensure the safety of the american people + freedom of the iraqi's isn't worth fighting for then i don't know what is.

Comment

^^ The unless your underage, why arent you rushing to join the army?
          Originally posted by ethan20
          There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
          Originally posted by reservoirGod
          Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
            ^^ The unless your underage, why arent you rushing to join the army?
            This has been brought up several times and you yourself know it's a ridiculous thing to say.Just cause i believe in the cause and feel the troop's are hero's doesn't mean i wanna be one or should have to.I don't take freedom for granted like most and i use the freedom i was blessed with and do something i'd like to do with my life.While i support the Iraq war im not really intrested in being a solider anymore.I say "anymore" cause sure enough i signed up for the military when i turned 18 but because i was on Paxil at the time i wasn't able to join.Im as american as they come, all you do is bitch.

Comment

There WILL be a draft mark my words!

Comment

They already killed the bill in congress that only two people voted for. It has been sitting there since 2002. Nobody is stupid enough to pass a draft bill. There would be riots n shit. The 70's X 1000

Comment

no shock -- the senator is a democrat

*wipes sweat off forehead* almost believed that one

Comment

Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                    Exactly. The back-door draft already started.

The National Guard isnt even supposed to be deployed to foreign locations. Their purpose is to Guard the Nation. They dont fight the military's fight. I'm not sure, but I think this is the first time that they are being sent to fight for the military.
                    Wrong answer.

Throughout the 19th century the size of the Regular Army was small, and the militia provided the bulk of the troops during the Mexican War, the early months of the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. In 1903, important national defense legislation increased the role of the National Guard (as the militia was now called) as a Reserve force for the U.S. Army. In World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, the National Guard made up 40% of the U.S. combat divisions in France; in World War II, National Guard units were among the first to deploy overseas and the first to fight.

Following World War II, National Guard aviation units, some of them dating back to World War I, became the Air National Guard, the nation's newest Reserve component. The Guard stood on the frontiers of freedom during the Cold War, sending soldiers and airmen to fight in Korea and to reinforce NATO during the Berlin crisis of 1961-1962. During the Vietnam war, almost 23,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called up for a year of active duty; some 8,700 were deployed to Vietnam. Over 75,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called upon to help bring a swift end to Desert Storm in 1991.

Since that time, the National Guard has seen the nature of its Federal mission change, with more frequent call ups in response to crises in Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the skies over Iraq. Most recently, following the attacks of September 11, 2001, more than 50,000 Guardmembers were called up by both their States and the Federal government to provide security at home and combat terrorism abroad. Today, tens of thousands of Guardmembers are serving in harm's way in Iraq and Afghanistan, as the National Guard continues its historic dual mission, providing to the states units trained and equipped to protect life and property, while providing to the nation units trained, equipped and ready to defend the United States and its interests, all over the globe.
                    Link
                    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

This whole debate is dumb. How do you all think they will "dominate" central Asia with the Iraq army? Why do you continue to discuss the obvious????

All they have to do is provoke any country to act on them (Iran, Libya, North Korea, Pakistan, etc) and then "call upon the American people" to rush to "their country's defence" (translation - rush to defend the administrations policy and strategy). You turkeys will VOLUNTEER to "defend our already wearied soldiers on the frontline for our freedom" yada yada. You will VOLUNTARILY DRAFT YOURSELVES to uphold this expansionist policy.

Why? Because we are totally brainwashed. We don't have original thoughts anymore. Read these posts. We rehash TV, print media, overheard conversations (repeating other TV and print media, etc.) and movies, etc. We are more sheepish than sheep by far, because we police each other.

When they put "your soldiers" (translation - "their" soldiers who naively war for their policies, NOT for our freedom) on TV appealing to the "american people" to help them because they are suffering so badly. They need signups. They will absolutely get sign ups.

In other words, the next draft might just well be a psychological draft that allows us to think WE are deciding for ourselves when again we've been thought-projected, mind-controlled, "positioned" and "acted upon". That is why we vote. In a free-mided world, we'd have done something about our gov'ts absolute refusal to listen to what is important to us (instead they TELL us what is important to a "true American" so we can conform our minds accordingly). In this world we vote them into power because it has been long suggested to us that this is "democracy".

Surprise, voting in lying lizard tyrants who will strip you of your rights and resources is NOT what the spirit of democracy was ever trying to accomplish.

One way or another, force, coersion or subtle coersion, they will get the citizenry into foreign countries. Mark my words....
                      Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
                      Would you let the system
                      make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 05:23 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Deborahlanker