X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors About A Draft Are False

Rumors About A Draft Are False
    By Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld
    WASHINGTON, Oct. 28, 2004 — The peculiar thing about myths is that even the most far-fetched can be nearly impossible to extinguish. This is especially so when there is a vested interest in some quarters in keeping them alive. Like many Americans, I have recently heard a great deal of misinformed talk about a so-called "secret plan" to bring back the draft. This plot is so secret that it doesn't exist. Neither our commander in chief nor the secretary of defense know anything about it. That's because it simply is not true.

Let me be even more emphatic on that point. To my knowledge, in the time I have served as secretary of defense, the idea of reinstating draft has never been debated, endorsed, discussed, theorized, pondered or even whispered by anyone in the Bush administration. When asked about it, the president has flatly rejected the idea. Similarly, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has said a draft is not needed or desirable. And the U.S. House of Representatives voted down a bill, offered by several Democratic congressmen, to reinstate the draft by a resounding 402-2 just two weeks ago. Yet based on absolutely no actual evidence, partisans, conspiracy mongers and troublemakers are attempting to scare and mislead young Americans by insisting that a draft is coming. This is mischiefmaking masquerading as a serious policy debate. It is shameful.

This entire deceit is underhanded and just plain wrong. Unfortunately, regrettably, inexcusably, thanks to the available transmission belt in the media, it seems to be working. One recent opinion poll suggests that about half of America's young people surveyed believe that President Bush favors reinstating the draft. I take this issue seriously and personally. As a member of Congress in the 1960s, I was one of the first to support an all-volunteer force.

I know the inequities and the problems - for both our society and our military - associated with compelling people to serve against their will in the armed forces.

Quite beyond the draft's inequities and inefficiencies, the United States simply does not need a draft. America has about 295 million people and some 2.6 million serving in the active and reserve components of our military. We don't need compulsion to attract and retain the people we need to serve our country. As it stands today, the active Army and Marine Corps continue to exceed their recruiting goals despite the high pace of activity. Retention is also doing well. Particularly striking are re-enlistment rates for units that have deployed overseas. Of the Army's 10 active duty divisions, nine are exceeding re-enlistment goals by 5 percent or more. The United States is so fortunate that every day so many brave and talented young men and women willingly sign up to serve their country, knowing full well - just from watching the nightly news - the dangers and sacrifices involved. Each one is a volunteer, and if it happened that we were to not have enough people to serve, all we would have to do is what any other organization would do - and that is increase the incentives and make military service a more attractiveoption for the best and brightest young people. There is stress on our forces - but not because of any shortage of uniformed personnel.

For example, there are over 1 million soldiers in the active Army, Army Reserve and National Guard. Of those, less than 12 percent are actually deployed to the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters. And the Army has already increased its active strength by as many as 30,000 troops since Sept. 11, 2001. The issue is that our forces, particularly the Army, are not properly organized for the post-Cold War era. Too many skills needed on active duty are heavily concentrated in the Reserve components.

Too many of the active forces are not readily deployable. Too many military personnel - tens of thousands - are performing tasks that could and should be performed by civilians.

We have undertaken a range of initiatives to increase the pool of deployable troops within the armed forces and the quality of life for service members and their families. The result will be that individual troops will be deployed less often, for shorter periods of time and with more predictability. With a professional, all-volunteer force, the U.S. military won the Cold War, liberated Afghanistan and Iraq, and has kept the peace in Asia and Europe. And the all-volunteer force will win the global war on terror.

Link
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

No matter how many top officials say the draft is a rumor, bitches will continue to make gay rumor and conspiracy threads. Good read.
    Last edited by BriMcFly88; 10-28-2004, 10:43 AM.
    Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Top Officials???!?!??

I guess if Machaveli told you that he was your "real" friend you'd believe him because he was a "top official", right?

What if the Marquis de Sade told you he just wanted to help your young daughter "cope with the pressures of coming of age in a cruel world"? I suppose you'd send him your teenager because he's a "top official", right?

The whole point is that people saying the draft is being planned are saying that Rumsfeld is lying to us.

if I understand you right, your proof that Rumsfeld is NOT lying is the fact that he SAYS he's telling the truth.

I am sure you see how flimsy and irrelevant an argument that logic produces.

People CAN and DO lie. That is simply not debatable. If I say you're lying, you can't say "no, I'm not because listen - see I am SAYING this, so it is the truth!"

That does NOT constitute proof you are telling the truth.

By your argument, we should believe anybody in court who says "not guilty" and just stop taking people to court all together. We should have them write a statement instead (like Rumsfeld did above) and we'll just take their "good word". Sounds like a plan for destruction, and that is what it is.

But I can see where you're coming from. Just because he lied about carrying out 9-11 and even though he lied about the destruction of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the draft, and the present harvesting of the people-crop of the world, we'll just believe him on this one, right?

No, I don't believe liars. He can lie til he's blue in the face, it is not even a consideration for me. Here is a perfect example of "Your actions are speaking so loudly that I can't hear what you're saying."

Peace.
      Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
      Would you let the system
      make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

Originally posted by Triumph
        Quite beyond the draft's inequities and inefficiencies, the United States simply does not need a draft. America has about 295 million people and some 2.6 million serving in the active and reserve components of our military. We don't need compulsion to attract and retain the people we need to serve our country. As it stands today, the active Army and Marine Corps continue to exceed their recruiting goals despite the high pace of activity. Retention is also doing well. Particularly striking are re-enlistment rates for units that have deployed overseas. Of the Army's 10 active duty divisions, nine are exceeding re-enlistment goals by 5 percent or more. The United States is so fortunate that every day so many brave and talented young men and women willingly sign up to serve their country, knowing full well - just from watching the nightly news - the dangers and sacrifices involved. Each one is a volunteer, and if it happened that we were to not have enough people to serve, all we would have to do is what any other organization would do - and that is increase the incentives and make military service a more attractiveoption for the best and brightest young people. There is stress on our forces - but not because of any shortage of uniformed personnel.

For example, there are over 1 million soldiers in the active Army, Army Reserve and National Guard. Of those, less than 12 percent are actually deployed to the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters. And the Army has already increased its active strength by as many as 30,000 troops since Sept. 11, 2001. The issue is that our forces, particularly the Army, are not properly organized for the post-Cold War era. Too many skills needed on active duty are heavily concentrated in the Reserve components.
        If all of that is true, its good 2 hear.
        Originally posted by ethan20
        There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
        Originally posted by reservoirGod
        Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

^ Wow, your gay. (poster above kegbegger)

I said "many top officials". You pointed out one that could be lying. The fact is, not one single person believes there is going to be a draft - even democrats dont. This is a scare tactic. Its dirty politics. You live and you learn, i've seen this shit before. No one will let a draft take place in this country for the Iraq war, Afghanistan, or the war on terror... unless a MAJOR conflict breaks out. End of story.

Comment

Well, zofo, you just agreed with me. Shows how programmed you are. They put you on remote.

Look you said when there is a major conflict they'll draft us. SO ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS CREATE A MAJOR CONFLICT WHICH THEY'VE ALREADY SAID THEY'LL DO IN THE PNAC BY "dominating central asia". So according to YOUR logic, then, we'll have a draft.

Wow you're gay.
            Would you let the system

Comment

bush can be quoted saying "our military is completely volunteer, and will continue to be completely volunteer"...and it's kerry that wants to increase troop size so if ANYONE is installing a draft itll be Kerry...but neither of them will...
              A wise man told me don't argue with fools
              Cause people from a distance can't tell who is who
              So stop with that childish shit, n**** I'm grown
              Please leave it alone - don't throw rocks at the throne

Comment

We'll see. But you're right. They are playing good cop / bad cop
                Would you let the system

Comment

There's not going to be a draft. Im gonna put my Right-Wing biased aside and tell you all the truth about Scare tactics on both sides.

1. REPUBLICAN SCARE TACTICS- Dick Cheney says a Kerry Administration will make us more likely to be attacked. Honestly I dont believe this. I believe Kerry and Bush would both make sure they put all the money the FBI/CIA needs to stop future attacks.

2. DEMOCRAT SCARE TACTICS- Kerry has said a second Bush term will mean the return of the Draft. Rumsfeld pointed out Military sign up's are at an all-time high, and only about 12% of our total forces are in Iraq and Afghanistan. Kerry should shut up about this draft rumor, and he has it seems for now.

Comment

Stereo, you're right about the scare tactics.

But that simply doesn't change the fact that the PNAC, the Trilateral Commission, the CFR, SIMPLY CANNOT "dominate Central Asia" and "subdue Africa" with the troops they own right now. SIMPLY CANNOT BE DONE.

Now we can stick our heads in the sand, but the world still goes on. No matter how you argue it, THEY SIMPLY CANNOT ACCOMPLISH THEIR OBJECTIVES WITHOUT MORE TROOPS.
                    Would you let the system

Comment

^ paranoia never solved anything. there wont be a draft, end of story.

...and zofo? lol. its ZOSO. Do you listen to music? Led Leppelin? Jimmy Page's symbol on Led Zeppelin 4, considered by most to be the best rock album ever? With stairway to heaven, and other hits on it? I mean, I guess this is a rap forum so many wont know much about led zeppelin.. but damn, everyday you prove how retarded you are just by talking

Comment

Yeah thanks, Zofo.

No, sorry, don't follow Zeppelin in the least (but Jimmy Page wrote some good guitar melodies), but if you ever want to talk Hendrix, let me know!

As for paranoia, I am not even sure what to say except that paranoia has solved a lot, and sitting down content in the midst of a minefield is plain stupid. Today, the only sane stance relative to power structures is suspicion and investigation. Paranoia makes more sense today than the news media does!

Anyway, there is nothing paranoid about admitting that the PNAC CANNOT DOMINATE CENTRAL ASIA WITH THE TROOPS IT NOW HAS. I guess if I wasn't so paranoid, I'd admit that they CAN DOMINATE A WHOLE CONTINENT WITH THEIR PRESENT ARMIES? Or would I do like you and pretend that they were just "joking" when they published and republished their plans to dominate Central Asia and subdue Africa? Yeah, it was just a funny joke they were making right?

Fantasy never solved anything.

I guess when Bush talks about generational war and when the PNAC talks about a war in Central Asia lasting perhaps 100 years to achieve their objectives, I should just laugh it off. Even though Rumsfeld and Cheney are supporters (or members) of the PNAC and support that objective, it must be just giggles, right?

Yeah, you prove how damned smart you are when you speak, Zofo. Maybe I can learn critical thinking skills from you like:

"Uh, so they're saying they want a hundred year war for resources, huh? Awww, I just love those funny guys. They crack me up. Where's my teddy bear?"

No thanks, I'll just stay here suspecting ANYONE who tells me they are about to kill me. YOU ignore it and make merry, cos you're so smart.
                        Would you let the system

Comment

^ oh i'm sorry, your fucking nastradamus. the one person out of 6.5billion on earth who knows what no others know. even people who cant stand bush/cheney think your full of shit. seriously, go watch some rambo movies you fucking weird psychotic bitch.

Comment

Did it occur to you that I don't care who thinks I'm full of shit? I speak out of conviction, not groupthink. I would rather be a minority of 1 with the truth, than a pack of robots cheering each other on with slogans printed in some media outlet.......

So, even if 99% of the world thought I was full of shit (they'd be partially right of course. Everybody's got some "shit" in them), it wouldn't change the truth.

Let's see.....

You called me Nostrodamous,

You told me I'm full of shit,

People think I'm full of shit,

Watch a movie.

Solid argument. What you DIDN'T address at all is whether you think Rumsfeld and his PNAC were:

A. - Lying
                            B. - Joking
                            C. - Mistaken
                            D. - Only testing us

When they wrote up their PNAC document calling for the "generational war" in Central Asia to dominate the region and it's resources. And when Bush quoted them on the "generational war" point.

So when you have no answer to questions, you insult and try to show me that even if you are too stupid to counter a point of view, that maybe you can prove how popular you are with others who think I am far out? Good for you. I am personally not impressed. I still am interested in how YOU interperet the PNAC plans. Should we "just ignore it and it will go away"????

Sorry Zofo, it is NOT going to go away. They said what they'd do, and so far, their actions are PERFECTLY in line with their objectives.

So tell me, if you can talk man to man, what YOU think about their PUBLISHED plans. Please don't insult me until you at least reveal YOUR take on the issue. Then insult me all you want! I have to go to my SECOND job now, so I'll only be able to respond much later.....

Peace (don't fight me Zofo, I just want to know what you think)
                            Would you let the system

Comment

You talk like you are the son of god. Listen, do yourself a favor. Debate like a normal person. When you have an argument, especially one that goes beyond what most peopel are aware of, provide a source. Show me quotes from Rumsfeld, what is going on, what you think is going to happen.. and when I get back from work tonight i'll add my two cents?

I mean, do you expect me (or anyone with a brain) to argue with someone who comes on the baord and starts saying "the world is going to end, there will be another war that will last 100 years" blah blah blah?

No.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bodytonketouk, Today, 12:42 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes