Canadian 'tortured and raped'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian 'tortured and raped'

I'm just wondering where is the lefties on this one? I mean, since those at Abu suffered so horribly, you'd think there would be an even bigger outcry over this? Doube standards maybe? It's sad my own government doesn't even give a shit about this woman, by MP's have enough time on their hands to criticized George Bush.

Canadian 'tortured and raped'
    The Times
    April 02, 2005
    A FEMALE photographer who died in Iranian custody after taking pictures of a demonstration outside Tehran's notorious Evin prison was beaten, tortured and raped, an Iranian doctor who fled to Canada has claimed.

Zahra Kazemi, 54, a Canadian citizen born in Iran, was arrested by secret police in June 2003. Shahram Azam said he examined her at a hospital in the capital four days later. She was in a coma and died several days later without regaining consciousness.

Kazemi was the victim of "a very brutal rape", her skull was fractured and her nose broken and there were strange markings all over her body, Dr Azam said. "The backs of both legs, where the skin had come off, indicated a flogging," he said.

The doctor's account is the first by a medical official from Iran. It contradicts Iranian officials who said Kazemi had fainted while in custody, hitting her head on the ground and failing to regain consciousness.

"Everything I saw indicated it was organised torture and not an injury that caused her death," Dr Azam said. Deep scratches behind her neck "looked like the result of nails digging into the flesh".

Her right shoulder was bruised, she had two broken fingers, a broken nose, three missing fingernails, a skull fracture, crushed left toe and a burst ear membrane, the doctor said.

Because male doctors in Iran are not permitted to conduct vaginal examinations, he brought in a nurse who found severe abdominal and genital bruising and concluded that this was the result of a savage rape. Kazemi had bruises from her abdominal area down to her thighs.

Dr Azam fled Iran last August after pretending to seek medical treatment in Finland. From there he went to Sweden, where he contacted Kazemi's son, Stephan Hachemi.

The doctor applied for political asylum in Canada, with the help of Canadian lawyers, and it was recently granted.

He landed in Canada this week, as a refugee sponsored by the Canadian Government, with his wife and 12-year-old daughter. He refused to say where the family would live in Canada. Dr Azam said he wanted to refocus attention on Kazemi's death and on the Iranian regime. Senior Iranian officials have at times acknowledged that she died in the hands of state security officers.

Soon after her death, the Iranian judiciary said that she had died of a stroke but, after an inquiry, a fractured skull and brain haemorrhage were found to be the cause of death.

After sustained Canadian diplomatic pressure, Iranian officials changed their story that Kazemi had fainted and a prison official, Mohammed Reza Aghdam Ahmadi, was charged in Tehran last year with her "semi-premeditated murder".

He was tried and acquitted in a Tehran court last August. Canadian critics said the trial was a sham to cover up a murder.

Kazemi's son is adamant the case should be heard by the International Court of Justice in The Hague. He has expressed his frustration with the Canadian Government's progress in bringing his mother's killers to justice.

The Canadian ambassador to Iran was recalled in July last year in protest over the regime's lack of action. A new envoy was named four months later, after the trial in Tehran, and relations with Iran began to improve.
    Link
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

A woman is raped and murdered yet a man taken into custody and given to one of the countries hes a citizen of, who apparently beat him, and gave him back.. is such a bigger issue? Makes no sense.
    Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

I do not see your point about "where is the lefties on this one"..... This news just broke on CBC like on the weekend. How do you expect the "lefties" to be able to react to information they recieved just now? Where have the "righties" been while all this is happening??? The news Keg broke on the Syrian was last weeks headlines, and this story is this weeks, and they are just as BIG as one another up here in Canada bri. I heard both stories on CBC, one last week and one this week, just as they have been posted on here, and I do not think ANYONE believe that the story on the Syrian is more pressing. But both show how American foreign affairs are effecting innocent Canadians abroad..... Americans can be mistaken for Canadians and unfortunately the reverse is also true : (
      One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

Zarah Kazemi's story was from a while back.

The new revelation here is that she was raped, but we already knew those bastards beat and killed her.

When this news first broke last year, it was major headlines with EVERYONE criticizing Iran, lefties and all alike. They criticized Iran much much more than the Americans were criticized by Abu Ghraid by ANY Canadian politician. This was front page news for a while..... your really tugging at strings here. The Canadian ambassador to Iran was recalled by the Liberal government over this.

Your selective reporting and apparently 1 year maximum memory regarding that is hilarious.

Originally posted by BriMcFly88
        A woman is raped and murdered yet a man taken into custody
        Taken into custody? He was apprehended, refused a lawyer, refused a phone call, and was kept in limbo for 10 days before being shipped to Jordan than Syria. Canada had no idea where he was for 10 days because Americans wouldnt tell us. Thats not taking into custody; thats fucking kidnapping.

and given to one of the countries hes a citizen of,
        Given to a country that he had fled as a boy, not lived in for 16 years, and was designated 1 of 7 countries that is a state sponsorer of terrorism, vs. the country whose passport he was carrying, he had lived in for the past 16 years, where his wife and 2 kids were, where his job was, and is a peaceful nation with a more than apt justice system.

Keep trying to justify it Bri.

who apparently beat him, and gave him back.. is such a bigger issue? Makes no sense.
        Much more shocking, yes, it makes perfect sense. A country that trumps itself as the beacon of freedom and liberty outsourcing torture vs. a state sponsor of terrorism and "Axis of evil" that beat and killed a western reporter is much more shocking and considered more news-worthy. I think the Kazemi ordeal is more serious considering she is dead, but unfortunately its not more newsworthy.

Again, if a psycopath kills someone and say an upstanding humanitarian politician attempts to kill someone, which one is gonna get more coverage?
        Originally posted by ethan20
        There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
        Originally posted by reservoirGod
        Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

Good points Keg, now that I have had time to think I can remember this being in the News last year like you mentioned. And you are right it IS more serious, but less news worthy in many respects. On one hand you have a reporter who knowingly put herself in harms way, and on the other hand you have a man that was put in harms way for no other reason other than the heritage he shares with about 60 million people worldwide. It reminds me of the days of Japanese internment camps.
          One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

keg, shut the fuck up with this whole beacon of freedom bullshit. it doesnt matter who does the crime. a rape and a murder of a WOMAN is a lot worse then a man being denied rights and susposedly getting "beaten". sorry buddy, life > no life.

it comes as no shock that this story will get 1/100th of the press time that the other guys did.

Comment

This is a little off topic, but I would just like every ones thoughts on this...

The liberal canadians always complain that us "Right-Wing Americans" destroy the enviroment and harm animals. Yet, I turn on the news and I see hundreds of baby seals being hunted in Canada? I thought it was king of funny. What is everyone else's thoughts on that.

Comment

theres videos of people torturing them and killing them with bats all over peta. sickening. 300,000 seals are allowed to be killed, i believe.

Comment

Ahh the classic Left-Right Paradigm
                  For those who have to ask, no answer would suffice

Comment

keg, shut the fuck up with this whole beacon of freedom bullshit.
                    Glad to see you think the "beacon of freedom" is bullshit

it doesnt matter who does the crime. a rape and a murder of a WOMAN is a lot worse then a man being denied rights and susposedly getting "beaten". sorry buddy, life > no life.
                    In case you a) missed it or b) cannot read, here it is again:
                    Originally posted by KegBegger
                    I think the Kazemi ordeal is more serious considering she is dead, but unfortunately its not more newsworthy.
                    Your talking about press time, not gravity of the issue. Of course her MURDER is more important and grevious than torture. But again, its nothing out of the extreme ordinary considering Iran is a country known for political tortures/killings. You and Triumph are wondering why this wont get as much coverage as Abu Ghraid or Maher Arar's case. I'm explaining why.

it comes as no shock that this story will get 1/100th of the press time that the other guys did.
                    Context has EVERYTHING to do with how newsworthy an event is. Something that shocks the world or surprises people will sell more newspapers than something people have grown de-sensetized too, so that is what the news will report.

Will a suicide bombing in Iraq get the same coverage as a suicide bombing in Las Vegas? Hell no, despite being the same crime.

Did school shootings in inner city drug neighbourhoods get as much coverage as the school shooting in Columbine? Hell no, despite being the same crime.

Context has alot to do with how shocking the crime is, and thus how much coverage it gets. No one can argue against this. I'm not saying its right, just thats the way it unfortunately is.
                    There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.

Comment

I think a citizen being raped severely and murdered is more newsworthy then a man being denied rights and beat (in another terrorist country).

Keg, you would defend hitler vs. the usa if this was world war two. Your biased views do not phase me. You are simply running the same race every day.

Comment

Torture and murder is repundant whoever does it. Bri are you saying that Iranian/American political values are now so close that you can't call the difference?
                        But if you listen then you know that shit's out of tune
                        Cuz the function of our life is just to work and consume

Comment

I think a citizen being raped severely and murdered is more newsworthy then a man being denied rights and beat (in another terrorist country).
                          Your leaving the part out where he was deported specifically to be tortured by a country that is supposed to be the leader and example setter for human rights and such. THATS the newsworthy part, thats what got it coverage.

You think the former story is more serious because your American, and the latter story paints your country in a bad light. Your hopelessly biased. Both of these events happened to Canadians, and the Canadian government was much more critical and treated one event more seriously: Zara Kazemi's death.

Was the Canadian ambassador to Syria recalled over what happened to Maher Arar? No.

Was the Canadian ambassador to America recalled over what happened to Maher Arar? No.

Was the Canadian ambassador to Iran recalled over what happened to Zara Kazemi? YES.

Her rape and murder HAVE BEEN TREATED MORE SERIOUSLY by the Canadian government than Arar's torture. Unfortunately, this does not equal more newsworthy. Dont blame the Canadian government, blame the people who decide what will sell newspapers (and before you talk some more shit out of your ass, Conrad Black is the big media giant in Canada, and he really doesnt like the liberal government).

Keg, you would defend hitler vs. the usa if this was world war two. Your biased views do not phase me. You are simply running the same race every day.
                          Blah blah blah.... You and Triumph claim that the liberal government was silent over this, I show you they were not.

You claim they were more outspoken against Americans over Abu Ghraid, I show you they were not.

You claim context has nothing to do with the newsworthiness of a crime, I give you examples where they would.

So Bri, if all crimes are equal and context means nothing, would a normal killing get as much coverage as the President being killed?

I'll take your inability to address even one of these points and post shitty not-even-funny graphics as a sign that this argument is clearly over.
                          Last edited by Kegz; 04-05-2005, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Keg I dont live in Canada so perhaps you are right. I do not know 'what makes the news' and what doesnt. The post specifically said there wasn't as much of an outcry. I believe that to be somewhat true. Most Canadians I talked to when I "first" heard about this had no idea about it. That goes for this forum and one other one, which isnt a debating forum. I personally still believe the savage rape and murder of a women is more newsworthy and shocking then a man being denied rights. Lastly, you keep saying shit like this:

Your leaving the part out where he was deported specifically to be tortured by a country that is supposed to be the leader and example setter for human rights and such. THATS the newsworthy part, thats what got it coverage.
                            As a terrorist sympathizer, I can understand why you take his words at face value. There is no evidence that he was sent to Syria with the intention of being beat. He was a citizen of TWO countries - he got sent to the one who promised they would investigate and keep him locked up in the meantime. No, Syria doesnt "beat and abuse" all of its prisoners. No, Canada didn't have the laws to deal with terrorism much like the USA and much of Europe does. No, you cant believe everything people say. Yes, this is an isolated incident which could be conceived as an accident or a mistake. Yes, he had some sort of susposed link to Al Qaeda and was a targeted individual, not a random Arab. Yes canadian intelligence had some dealings, which they insist on keeping private, with this guy.

You claim they were more outspoken against Americans over Abu Ghraid, I show you they were not.
                            #1. I never said that
                            #2. You didnt "show" anything. You mentioned it. Proving a point consists of showing evidence such as articles or statistics, not going "Hey, this was a bigger issue then Abu Ghabi. See, I showed you they were more outspoken on this one then abu ghabi"

So Bri, if all crimes are equal and context means nothing, would a normal killing get as much coverage as the President being killed?
                            Don't ask dumb questions or compare unlike situations. Both of these people are normal citizens. One was murdered, one was beaten and denied rights. I find the murder more newsworthy BUT I can understand why people might be just as concerned with the other story ON CONDITION THAT THERE WAS EVIDENCE OF INTENT TO SEND HIM THERE TO BE ABUSED. You see Keg, an underlying feature of a democracy is the fact that you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, and one man's word means nothing without evidence to back it up.
                            Last edited by BriMcFly88; 04-05-2005, 07:14 AM.

Comment

As a terrorist sympathizer, I can understand why you take his words at face value. There is no evidence that he was sent to Syria with the intention of being beat. He was a citizen of TWO countries - he got sent to the one who promised they would investigate and keep him locked up in the meantime.
                              "promised to investigate him"... lol, you are officially a fucking joke. Syria promised to investigate him and keep him locked up like a good democratic country, right Bri? And your country that HAS SYRIA ON A LIST OF 1 of 7 COUNTRIES THAT PRACTICES TORTURE took their word for it because of all the goodwill Syria has extended to the United States over the years?

And by the way, not that I expect you to be educated on this topic, but Canada did promise to investigate him. However, they said they would not be able to lock him up because there was no evidence against him. You know how you keep going on and on about innocent until proven guilty Bri? My country actually practices what it preaches, and America didnt like that. THATS why he was not sent to Canada.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050214fa_fact6
                              A year later, in October, 2003, Arar was released without charges, after the Canadian government took up his cause. Imad Moustapha, the Syrian Ambassador in Washington, announced that his country had found no links between Arar and terrorism. Arar, it turned out, had been sent to Syria on orders from the U.S. government, under a secretive program known as “extraordinary rendition.” This program had been devised as a means of extraditing terrorism suspects from one foreign state to another for interrogation and prosecution. Critics contend that the unstated purpose of such renditions is to subject the suspects to aggressive methods of persuasion that are illegal in America—including torture.
                              Yeah Bri... outsourcing torture is such an isolated phenomenon, that they even have a fucking phrase for it: extraordinary rendition. Before you say it, this isnt something that this paper just made up. In fact, they even tried to pass a bill in congress to LEGALIZE it. Yes, legalize it.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...zing_tort.html
                              Last month Edward Markey, a Massachusetts Congressman, introduced a bill that would clearly outlaw extraordinary rendition. But Markey only has 22 cosponsors, and now the House leadership is trying to legalize torture outsourcing--and hide it in the bill implementing the 9/11 Commission Report
                              No, Syria doesnt "beat and abuse" all of its prisoners.
                              They torture some prisoners, that is enough to not send him there. Especially when George Bush HIMSELF says that the United States will never send someone to their torture:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050214fa_fact6
                              On January 27th, President Bush, in an interview with the Times, assured the world that “torture is never acceptable, nor do we hand over people to countries that do torture.”
                              No, Canada didn't have the laws to deal with terrorism much like the USA and much of Europe does.
                              Ahhh.... you mean how we dont indefinately detain people with no legal representation based on NO evidence? I dont think Europe does that either. Which laws dont we have to deal with terrorism?

No, you cant believe everything people say
                              No, you cant. But so far, no evidence has come to light to contradict Maher Arar. He signed confessions in Syria, and then Syria let him go because they could find no evidence against him. If he was a terrorist and those confessions were NOT tortured out of him, why would he be let go?

Again, the second he came back to Canada, he demanded a public inquiry be opened up. You havent answered this question yet Bri... why would a suspected terrorist want ALL of his records and dealings open to the public? Why would he draw maximum attention to himself?

Yes, this is an isolated incident which could be conceived as an accident or a mistake.
                              Isolated incident, yes it is. But it doesnt appear to be an accident or mistake, or the State Department could just come out and say it. Instead, they refuse to participate in the inquiry and have only defended the action of deporting him. People usually apologize for accidents or mistakes.

Yes, he had some sort of susposed link to Al Qaeda and was a targeted individual, not a random Arab.
                              No evidence linking him to anyone, even after 10 months in Syria.

#2. You didnt "show" anything. You mentioned it. Proving a point consists of showing evidence such as articles or statistics, not going "Hey, this was a bigger issue then Abu Ghabi. See, I showed you they were more outspoken on this one then abu ghabi"
                              You see Keg, an underlying feature of a democracy is the fact that you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, and one man's word means nothing without evidence to back it up.[/size]
                              If one man's word means nothing without evidence to back it up, why does the word of your government mean ANYTHING without evidence to back it up?

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Nancystarkman, Today, 05:15 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes