HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JEAN PROFESSES DEVOTION TO CANADA - And I for one do'nt buy it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEAN PROFESSES DEVOTION TO CANADA - And I for one do'nt buy it.

Jean professes devotion to Canada

But her statement skirts whether she and her husband once supported separatism.
    JIM BROWN, CP 2005-08-18 02:24:37

OTTAWA -- Michaelle Jean, the governor general- designate, has publicly affirmed her commitment to Canadian federalism in response to claims she once harboured sympathies for Quebec independence.

But yesterday's carefully worded statement did not directly address claims that the couple may have expressed past support for the separatist cause.

In the statement, Jean said her devotion to Canada is shared by her husband, film-maker Jean-Daniel Lafond.

"I want to tell you unequivocally that both he and I are proud to be Canadian and that we have the greatest respect for the institutions of our country.

"We are fully committed to Canada," she said. "I would not have accepted this position otherwise."

Jean also insisted, "We have never belonged to a political party or the separatist movement."

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, on a visit to Halifax, said he was pleased with Jean's profession of faith in Canada.

He was less willing to let Prime Minister Paul Martin off the hook for the way he handled the appointment process and ensuing furor.

"I still think there are probably questions he's going to have to answer on some of the specific things that have been in the newspaper or on television," Harper said.

But John Aimers, head of the Monarchist League of Canada, expressed hope the political storm is over.

"Further controversy can only serve a divisive agenda," Aimers said.

Martin, in a written statement, was anxious to put an end to the debate. He noted Jean "spoke forcefully of her love for our country" when her appointment was announced this month.

Jean had been under pressure to make a public declaration of loyalty to Canada since allegations last week that she and her husband were once known in Quebec cultural circles as sovereigntists.

Parti Quebecois leadership hopeful Pauline Marois appeared to lend credence to that view yesterday, but said people have a right to change their minds.

"You can make another evaluation of the situation and have another point of view and defend another point of view," Marois said. "It's not for me to judge this."

The separatist newspaper, Le Quebecois, which first raised the allegations about Jean and Lafond, said Martin and his advisers clearly failed to check out their backgrounds.

Much of the controversy centres on a 1991 film by Lafond, in which Jean joined in a toast to independence at a gathering of separatist intellectuals.

It wasn't clear whether she meant the independence of Quebec or of the French-ruled Caribbean island of Martinique. The film explored the life of Aime Cesaire, a Martinique poet and legislator, and his influence on Quebec's independence movement.

Copyright © The London Free Press
    You know what? The first thing I thought when I heard this chick was up for the Governor General was "Please, not another Quebecois put into an office they don't deserve". And you know what? I already feel justified having that shitty attitude about French Canada. Quebec has WAY, WAY too much influence in Canadian affairs, compared to the rest of the country. And most of them dont even want to be CANADIAN!! THEY WANT TO BE SHITTY-ASSED PUSSY FRENCHMEN!!!

On top of that she and her non-canadian husband from France is a part of Frances influence over Quebec defecting to France if it leaves Canada! With that guy whispering in her ear the country will quickly go to the crapper. Martin has really pissed me off with this decision. The last person who needed a high-ranking official government job was another problem inducing french-canadian. For fuck sakes Paul, you should of learned your Quebec lessons from the Gomery scandal, apparently we will have to re-teach them to you come election time in the fall.... Quebec is nothing but a safe-haven for french speaking criminals from all parts of the world, it houses terror suspects, all of Canada's organized crime is headed from Quebec and it is the largest siphon of Canadian taxes in comparison to its population. Its time for Canada to change, and time for Quebec to realize that you need to learn how to fly on your own, before leaving the nest!

Plus that job should be going to a canadian born individual, not a Haitian born seperatist! There are plenty of over-qualified individuals here in Canada that would prefer working for their native governmnet over taking higher paying jobs in the states. Quebecers should not get first bid on every available job opening everytime. Especially ones that are neither qualified or PROUD to be Canadian, how can we expect a seperatist to have our CANADIAN interests at heart???
    One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Get your head out of your ass.

She was a reporter and a filmmaker in Quebec, there is a good chance that she is going to have contact with people who are separatists. This does no make her one. In case you havenít noticed the role of Governor General in Canada is no longer to make important decisions, its simply to shake hands with officials. We shouldnít even have one in the first place anymore.

What the fuck is this shit about her not being born in Canada, I hate to tell you this but this country was founded on immigrants, and they have every right in the world to hold official spots in Ottawa. And its not like she came to Canada last year, she came when she was a little girl.

I think she is very proud to be a Canadian, and maybe you should take sometime to look at what it means to be one.
    If I can kick drugs, I can deliver a baby

Charlie RIP
    LOST

Comment

Originally posted by Depth

She was a reporter and a filmmaker in Quebec, there is a good chance that she is going to have contact with people who are separatists. This does no make her one. In case you havenít noticed the role of Governor General in Canada is no longer to make important decisions, its simply to shake hands with officials. We shouldnít even have one in the first place anymore.

What the fuck is this shit about her not being born in Canada, I hate to tell you this but this country was founded on immigrants, and they have every right in the world to hold official spots in Ottawa. And its not like she came to Canada last year, she came when she was a little girl.

I think she is very proud to be a Canadian, and maybe you should take sometime to look at what it means to be one.
      ya i agree with all this, plus whats with all your hate for quebec? Quebecs a really nice place with good people. french canadians are just as much a part of this country as anybody else, and the majority of them do not want to separate from canada, or they would.

Comment

if you all have no issues with handing prime jobs to KNOWN seperatisits than that is your business. I do not hate French Canadians at all, I simply feel that the Government continuously gives them positions of power more-so than more deserving English Canadians. And according to the stats thats the truth. The sponsorship scandal could only have happened by needs for sponsorship in the first place. Hence support for seperatisim filters money towards seperatisits.

Originally posted by Depth

If my head was up my ass I would not care in light of this information whether she was a seperatisit or not (kindda like you). Ignorance is bliss and blind. But now that I know she is a seperatist by association she has lost my vote entirely. I fully beleive that her husband has very tight ties with seperatisits in Quebec, but even closer ties to seperatisit sympathizers in his homeland of Fance, that makes it even more of a crappy choice. And as for the not a born Canadain remark, I feel that way because I believe in national security, and certain levels of office should be off limits to non-native residents. The same way it is in the rest of the world, there is a difference between being liberal and being stupid, and to sacrifice national security on even the smallest level is not an option in this current age of war and fast paced info trade. at least not for me. ON TOP OF THIS SHE HAS NO PREVIOUS POLITICAL SUCESS RECORD, she was pretty much the most random choice for a government official I have ever seen!

Originally posted by S-DOT
        ya i agree with all this, plus whats with all your hate for quebec? Quebecs a really nice place with good people. french canadians are just as much a part of this country as anybody else, and the majority of them do not want to separate from canada, or they would.
        As I say, I do not hate all french Canadians nor do I want Quebec to seperate! I agree with you that the majority of French Canadians do not want to seperate! But in in spite all that why put a seperatist in the position of the person who is supposed to be all about marketing canada to the world?? On top of that I honestly believe that Quebec get an unfair advantage of having more people in charge of our country than the voting majority does!!! THESE ARE ISSUES AS CANADIANS WE SHOULD ALL BE WORRIED ABOUT!!! Giving positions to seperatisits on any level is WRONG if you like Canada. And playing the "who cares" game is what has gotten Canada into every shit-storm we have ever been in.
        Last edited by gdillinjah; 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM.
        One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by gdillinjah
          if you all have no issues with handing prime jobs to KNOWN seperatisits than that is your business. I do not hate French Canadians at all, I simply feel that the Government continuously gives them positions of power more-so than more deserving English Canadians. And according to the stats thats the truth. The sponsorship scandal could only have happened by needs for sponsorship in the first place. Hence support for seperatisim filters money towards seperatisits.

If my head was up my ass I would not care in light of this information whether she was a seperatisit or not (kindda like you). Ignorance is bliss and blind. But now that I know she is a seperatist by association she has lost my vote entirely. I fully beleive that her husband has very tight ties with seperatisits in Quebec, but even closer ties to seperatisit sympathizers in his homeland of Fance, that makes it even more of a crappy choice. And as for the not a born Canadain remark, I feel that way because I believe in national security, and certain levels of office should be off limits to non-native residents. The same way it is in the rest of the world, there is a difference between being liberal and being stupid, and to sacrifice national security on even the smallest level is not an option in this current age of war and fast paced info trade. at least not for me. ON TOP OF THIS SHE HAS NO PREVIOUS POLITICAL SUCESS RECORD, she was pretty much the most random choice for a government official I have ever seen!

As I say, I do not hate all french Canadians nor do I want Quebec to seperate! I agree with you that the majority of French Canadians do not want to seperate! But in in spite all that why put a seperatist in the position of the person who is supposed to be all about marketing canada to the world?? On top of that I honestly believe that Quebec get an unfair advantage of having more people in charge of our country than the voting majority does!!! THESE ARE ISSUES AS CANADIANS WE SHOULD ALL BE WORRIED ABOUT!!! Giving positions to seperatisits on any level is WRONG if you like Canada. And playing the "who cares" game is what has gotten Canada into every shit-storm we have ever been in.
          Stop saying she is a known separatist, thatís ignorant shit. She lived in Quebec of course she is going to know a separatist, Iím sure most people in Quebec know one at least. And by saying she is one because she knows some thatís crap, I have friends that are racist, that doesnít make me one. I know a guy whose a career criminal, and in know way am I. Your just speculating on this, if you have 100% proof that she is a separatist then you are allowed to say she is a known one, till then all you can say is that she is an accused separatist.

And this shit about not giving positions to people who arenít born in this country its sounds like you get your views on Canada straight out of Stephen Harper hand book. I know so many people who came over to Canada as immigrants and let me tell you these people are the proudest people in this country to be a Canadian. They werenít lucky enough to be born in such a free country, so they relies more then anyone what it means to be a Canadian. Unless youíre are native (which I doubt by your right wing thoughts) then you two are a descendent of an immigrant.

Donít give me this crap about the majority of Canadians; if she were from Ontario then she still wouldnít be from the majority of Canada. Donít forget I live in a province where the Prime Minister is elected before the polling in my riding even closes.
          If I can kick drugs, I can deliver a baby

Charlie RIP
          LOST

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by oneshotc0, Today, 10:04 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes