ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS Win Arizona Ranch In Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS Win Arizona Ranch In Court

Now I'm convinced this country is screwed up. It seems our justice system is skewed either in favor of criminals that shouldn't even be here. The middle class American gets the shaft again. For those of you that oppose illegal immigration, and are outraged by continued impotence of our government in dealing with the situation......guaranteed this will raise your blood pressure. The government is telling private citizens, we're not going to do anything and neither will you.

How is it that someone who is breaking the law, can then sue as a result of their breaking the law, and still win???

OH.. nevermind... Liberals. ::
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 19, 2005

2 Illegal Immigrants Win Arizona Ranch in Court

By ANDREW POLLACK

DOUGLAS, Ariz., Aug. 18 - Spent shells litter the ground at what is left of the firing range, and camouflage outfits still hang in a storeroom. Just a few months ago, this ranch was known as Camp Thunderbird, the headquarters of a paramilitary group that promised to use force to keep illegal immigrants from sneaking across the border with Mexico.

Now, in a turnabout, the 70-acre property about two miles from the border is being given to two immigrants whom the group caught trying to enter the United States illegally.

The land transfer is being made to satisfy judgments in a lawsuit in which the immigrants had said that Casey Nethercott, the owner of the ranch and a former leader of the vigilante group Ranch Rescue, had harmed them.

"Certainly it's poetic justice that these undocumented workers own this land," said Morris S. Dees Jr., co-founder and chief trial counsel of the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., which represented the immigrants in their lawsuit.

Mr. Dees said the loss of the ranch would "send a pretty important message to those who come to the border to use violence."

The surrender of the ranch comes as the governors of Arizona and New Mexico have declared a state of emergency because of the influx of illegal immigrants and related crime along the border.

Bill Dore, a Douglas resident briefly affiliated with Ranch Rescue who is still active in the border-patrolling Minuteman Project, called the land transfer "ridiculous."

"The illegals are coming over here," Mr. Dore said. "They are getting the American property. Hell, I'd come over, too. Get some American property, make some money from the gringos."

The immigrants getting the ranch, Edwin Alfredo Mancía Gonzáles and Fátima del Socorro Leiva Medina, could not be reached for comment. Kelley Bruner, a lawyer at the law center, said they did not want to speak to the news media but were happy with the outcome.

Ms. Bruner said that Mr. Mancía and Ms. Leiva, who are from El Salvador but are not related, would not live at the ranch and would probably sell it. Mr. Nethercott bought the ranch in 2003 for $120,000.

Mr. Mancía, who lives in Los Angeles, and Ms. Leiva, who lives in the Dallas area, have applied for visas that are available to immigrants who are the victims of certain crimes and who cooperate with the authorities, Ms. Bruner said. She said that until a decision was made on their applications, they could stay and work in the United States on a year-to-year basis.

Mr. Mancía and Ms. Leiva were caught on a ranch in Hebbronville, Tex., in March 2003 by Mr. Nethercott and other members of Ranch Rescue. The two immigrants later accused Mr. Nethercott of threatening them and of hitting Mr. Mancía with a pistol, charges that Mr. Nethercott denied. The immigrants also said the group gave them cookies, water and a blanket and let them go after an hour or so.

The Salvadorans testified against Mr. Nethercott when he was tried by Texas prosecutors. The jury deadlocked on a charge of pistol-whipping but convicted Mr. Nethercott, who had previously served time in California for assault, of gun possession, which is illegal for a felon. He is now serving a five-year sentence in a Texas prison.

Mr. Mancía and Ms. Leiva also filed a lawsuit against Mr. Nethercott; Jack Foote, the founder of Ranch Rescue; and the owner of the Hebbronville ranch, Joe Sutton. The immigrants said the ordeal, in which they feared that they would be killed by the men they thought were soldiers, had left them with post-traumatic stress.

Mr. Sutton settled for $100,000. Mr. Nethercott and Mr. Foote did not defend themselves, so the judge issued default judgments of $850,000 against Mr. Nethercott and $500,000 against Mr. Foote.

Mr. Dees said Mr. Foote appeared to have no substantial assets, but Mr. Nethercott had the ranch. Shortly after the judgment, Mr. Nethercott gave the land to his sister, Robin Albitz, of Prescott, Ariz. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued the siblings, saying the transfer was fraudulent and was meant to avoid the judgment.

Ms. Albitz, a nursing assistant, signed over the land to the two immigrants last week.

"It scared the hell out of her," Margaret Pauline Nethercott, the mother of Mr. Nethercott and Ms. Albitz, said of the lawsuit. "She didn't know she had done anything illegal. We didn't know they had a judgment against my son."

This was not the first time the law center had taken property from a group on behalf of a client. In 1987, the headquarters of a Ku Klux Klan group in Alabama was given to the mother of a boy whose murder was tied to Klansmen. Property has also been taken from the Aryan Nations and the White Aryan Resistance, Mr. Dees said.

Joseph Jacobson, a lawyer in Austin who represented Mr. Nethercott in the criminal case, said the award was "a vast sum of money for a very small indignity." Mr. Jacobson said the two immigrants were trespassing on Mr. Sutton's ranch and would have been deported had the criminal charges not been filed against Mr. Nethercott.

He criticized the law center for trying to get $60,000 in bail money transferred to the immigrants. While the center said the money was Mr. Nethercott's, Mr. Jacobson said it was actually Ms. Nethercott's, who mortgaged her home to post bail for her son.

Mr. Nethercott and Mr. Foote had a falling out in 2004, and Mr. Foote left Camp Thunderbird, taking Ranch Rescue with him. Mr. Nethercott then formed the Arizona Guard, also based on his ranch.

In April, Mr. Nethercott told an Arizona television station, "We're going to come out here and close the border with machine guns." But by the end of the month, he had started his prison sentence.

Now, only remnants of Camp Thunderbird remain on his ranch, a vast expanse of hard red soil, mesquite and tumbleweed with a house and two bunkhouses. One bunkhouse has a storeroom containing some camouflage suits, sleeping bags, tarps, emergency rations, empty ammunition crates, gun parts and a chemical warfare protection suit.

In one part of the ranch, dirt is piled up to form the backdrop of a firing range. An old water tank, riddled with bullet holes, is on its side. A platform was built as an observation post on the tower that once held the water tank.

Charles Jones, who was hired as a ranch hand about a month before Mr. Nethercott went to prison, put up fences and brought in cattle to graze. He has continued to live on the property with some family members.

But now the cattle are gone, and Mr. Jones has been told that he should prepare to leave. "It makes me sick I did all this work," he said.

Ms. Nethercott said she was not sure whether her son knew that his ranch was being turned over to the immigrants, but that he would be crushed if he did.

"That's his whole life," she said of the ranch. "He'd be heartbroken if he lost it in any way, but this is the worst way."

Source
    Last edited by Petey Pop; 08-19-2005, 09:35 PM.
    The award comes from man, but the reward comes from God.
    -- Denzel Washington

The border is out of control, and neither party wants to do anything about it.

Comment

I'd actually support an Israeli-like fence, that's how bad it is.

The country has long been fucked when it comes to the courts. If a burgular sneaks onto your property, breaks into your house, robs you blind, and trips over a wire on the way out and breaks a bone - he can sue you. If a burgular breaks into your house and your dog bites him, you're fucked.
      Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Thank God we have a Republican majority in both houses and a Republican President!
        the last vet.before everyone got vetted
        Originally posted by MarshallArts
        Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

FIrst of all, those guys who lost the ranch deserve to lose it, regardless if its to illegal immigrants or anyone. I dont get the big deal about illegal immigrants, they're still people just the same as anyone who lives in the states legally. You fuckers should welcome all immigrants who want to come and earn a decent living into your country. And as for this story, the immigrants deserve the ranch, the fucking faggot that owned it brought this punishment on himself by deciding to pull an american history x and attack these immigrants trying to come to the land of opportunity for an opportunity to make a little money for themselves. This goof said he was gonna close the border with machine guns, hopefully hes learned his lesson from this before he actually kills somebody over this bullshit.

Comment

^^I wonder how happy you would be if you had tresspassers on your lawn on a daily basis. The shoe switches to the other foot when it is suddenly YOUR property and YOUR rights that are being trampled. This is an outrage to all US citizens. If an illegal immigrant who has no right to be in this country can pull this off, we as a country have lost it. The fact that they were illegals on this man's property should take away their rights to sue. It's even worse than a burglar who falls while inside your house and then sues you for damages.

Thank the liberal judicial tyrants! Illegals come here... illegally...Trespass on a man's ranch... Illegal sues in our courts and ends up owning the ranch he was trespassing on in a country he has no legal right to be in. Go figure,
            The award comes from man, but the reward comes from God.
            -- Denzel Washington

Comment

Originally posted by S-DOT
              FIrst of all, those guys who lost the ranch deserve to lose it, regardless if its to illegal immigrants or anyone. I dont get the big deal about illegal immigrants, they're still people just the same as anyone who lives in the states legally. You fuckers should welcome all immigrants who want to come and earn a decent living into your country. And as for this story, the immigrants deserve the ranch, the fucking faggot that owned it brought this punishment on himself by deciding to pull an american history x and attack these immigrants trying to come to the land of opportunity for an opportunity to make a little money for themselves. This goof said he was gonna close the border with machine guns, hopefully hes learned his lesson from this before he actually kills somebody over this bullshit.
              See, I do welcome legal immigrants in this country. I support a process that makes it easier for Mexican citizens (or citizens of any foreign country) to obtain citizenship in the United States. Yet when anybody can just cross the US-Mexico border without any form of security checks it endangers our National Security. If a citizen of Mexico obtains citizenship in the United States legally, I welcome him with open arms. Yet we must secure the out of control border, or else anybody can just come right through. It endangers our nations security when millions of people illegally enter the country every year.

Comment

good man

i dont see those white europeans leaving the u.s anytime soon after there illegal occupation killing those natives.

man krs 1 said it there can never be justice on stolen land so dont even bring justice up because the current is system is just one of pure corruption and capitalism.

and u want to talk national security dont make me have to mention the trade bush does with U.S STATE enemies making them richer every contract.

good i would encourage immigration maybe those fuckers can cause a revolt and get rid of that corrupt capitalist system.
                BRINGING YOU THE TRUTH AND I KNOW IT HURTS YOU

Comment

Originally posted by ill_lyricist
                  i dont see those white europeans leaving the u.s anytime soon after there illegal occupation killing those natives.
                  It's unfortunate the Europeans killed off a whole continent of people, for the most part. However, that period of time on earth was something of a "survival of the fittest" gauntlet. Land was taken over & regained, borders were redrawn thousands of times, and dynasties came and went

and u want to talk national security dont make me have to mention the trade bush does with U.S STATE enemies making them richer every contract.
                  Examples?

Last time I checked, Bush doesn't have power over private companies. Bush can only "allow" trade to occur, not make trade. If trade is "allowed", then it isn't illegal. Lastly, our "enemies" all have embargoes on them, and trade is thus illegal and does't occur.

good i would encourage immigration maybe those fuckers can cause a revolt and get rid of that corrupt capitalist system.
                  Curious, wherd do you live? How old are you?
                  Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Im 22 And Im On Vacation Right Now In Argentina Visting Some Relatives...

Until Term Starts Back At Columbia University Where Im Doing A Phd.........

And Yo Im Sure Bush Didnt Trade With The Bin Ladins And Im Sure The Bin Ladins Have Never Given Money To Osama Man Michael Moore Done Exposed That Bush Faggot So Dont Try And Say It Aint Happen Because Bush Even Wanted The Bin Ladins To Leave The Country Incase They Gave That Info Out.

Bush Is A Threat And Would Sellout U.s Security And Put Americans At Risk If It Meant Maing A Dollar Out Of It...i Aint No Fucking Puppet For That Guy I See That Shit And He Dont Give A Shit About Americans.

Comment

and like i said a revolution is soon needed in order to change this economic infastructure and change this corrupt political democracy.

and i see more anger in an immgrants working class eyes then an americans working class eyes....

so maybe its up to the working class immigrants to put upon this revolution an take it back to the blosheviks.

Comment

White Europeans didn't ask the native american's to immigrate to America, why do Mexicans have to ask?

Comment

Bring up events from 250 years ago, that is a good way to win an argument

Comment

Originally posted by StereoType
                            Bring up events from 250 years ago, that is a good way to win an argument
                            What has changed? We came into another people's country (many different groups of people). We didn't respect their laws and we didn't assimilate into the native american culture, why should immigrants in the 21st century have to do any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by whereismarshall
                              What has changed? We came into another people's country (many different groups of people). We didn't respect their laws and we didn't assimilate into the native american culture, why should immigrants in the 21st century have to do any of this?
                              Because we signed a treaty with them. We have signed no treaty with Mexico allowing illegals to enter the country whenever they want.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cbdgumiesreview, Yesterday, 07:57 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Allanmathew  
                              Started by buykarascbd, Today, 05:16 AM
                              0 responses