Uranium was on the crashed snowbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uranium was on the crashed snowbird?

Pilot survives Snowbird jet crash in Thunder Bay, Ont.

Last Updated Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:31:12 EDT
    CBC News
    A Canadian Forces Snowbird aerial demonstration jet crashed on its way to an airshow Wednesday in Thunder Bay, in northwestern Ontario.

The plane exploded in a rural field, moments after the pilot -- 39-year-old Capt. Andrew Mackay of Orleans, Ont. -- ejected safely. Mackay was treated in hospital and released.

Mackay, in his fourth year with the Snowbirds, has more than 4,800 hours of military flying experience.

Local resident Dennis Trevisanutto Jr., who was standing on the deck of his home when he saw the crash, said he rescued the pilot after he saw the parachute descending. "I looked out and I could see him parachuting down into the woods. So I thought I'd take a ride over there and see if I could find him or pick him up... When I first saw him I asked if he was OK, and he said yes and said his engines failed."

Trevisanutto drove with the pilot to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.

The Snowbirds fly Canadair CT-114 Tutors, which are more than 30 years old. The last one came off the assembly line in 1966 -- before most of the pilots were born. However, the pilots have defended the program, saying the aircraft are safe and the shows they put on are part of the Canadian cultural fabric.

On Dec. 10, 2004, two Snowbirds jets crashed in mid-air during a practice near Mossbank, Sask. One pilot, Capt. Miles Selby, 31, was killed, and the other, Capt. Chuck Mallett, sustained minor injuries.

This is the Snowbirds' 35th season. They dedicated their performances this year to Captain Selby.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...y20050824.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot ejects seconds before Snowbird crash
    CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Thu. Aug. 25 2005 5:56 AM ET

A Snowbird pilot managed to eject safely from his jet, just seconds before it crashed into a rural field in the northern Ontario city of Thunder Bay on Wednesday.

The Department of National Defence said Capt. Andy Mackay, Snowbird 8, was released from hospital after being treated for undisclosed injuries.

Maj. Ian McLean said he was told in a brief phone conversation with Mackay that the downed plane experienced a loss of engine thrust.

"He took the appropriate checklist actions at that time and was unable to regain sufficient thrust to keep the aircraft in the air," McLean told reporters in Thunder Bay. "He determined that it was time to eject from the aircraft."

McLean said the jet went down as Snowbirds engaged in "shakeout manoeuvres" -- which pilots routinely perform before shows to test their aircraft.

"Obviously, the procedures paid off in this case," said McLean, adding that the crash took place far away from people.

Emergency crews rushed to the crash site and were able to avert a major fire.

Witnesses reported seeing the pilot eject before his plane hit the ground.

Local resident Dennis Trevisanutto Jr., who was standing on the deck of his home when he saw the crash, said he went to the pilot's aid after he saw the parachute descending, and found Mackay in good condition.

"He was fine. He was actually making his way out, just heading south, that's what he told me," Trevisanutto Jr. told CTV Newsnet in a phone interview.

"And I said, 'Well, follow me this way, because I know there's a bunch of emergency units out there so I'll take you out this way,' and we just walked out."

Mackay arrived at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre about 40 minutes after the crash.

Another eyewitness told Thunder Bay Television that he saw the plane veer immediately towards the ground at a high speed and disappear behind trees.

"After that I saw a puff of smoke come up from the ground, and I also saw a parachute at 5,000 or 6,000 feet in the air," said the eyewitness.

The Snowbirds were ready to appear at 5:30 p.m. ET in front of tens of thousands of spectators, but the event was cancelled 10 minutes later when it was announced that the plane had crashed.

The team is celebrating its 35th anniversary this year. Snowbird pilots are selected from the military based on skill and experience, and are tested for their formation-flying proficiency.

The Snowbirds are next scheduled to perform in St. Catharines, Ont., on Saturday and Sunday, but it was not immediately known if the shows would be cancelled.

They are also slated to fly at the Canadian International Air Show in Toronto on Labour Day weekend.

Defence Minister Bill Graham wouldn't say whether the crash will endanger the future of Snowbirds program.

"Until we know exactly what happened, it's very difficult to evaluate the risk factors that was in there," Graham said from Ottawa. He added the Air Force will carefully review the incident.

"These are extremely professional and qualified young pilots and I have absolute confidence that, whatever happened there, the pilot worked on whatever he could do to do the right thing," Graham said.

According to the Snowbirds' website, Mackay is in his fourth year with the squadron, with over 4,800 hours of military flying experience. He flies the No. 8 jet as the Opposing Solo.

Mark Miller, an aviation expert with the Discovery Channel who has flown with Mackay, describes him as an "excellent pilot ... with certainly a lot of experience."

Miller said if catastrophic engine failure was indeed the cause of Wednesday's accident, Mackay had just one means available to him to come out alive.

"When the engines fail on these jets, these guys have no other option than to punch out, to eject. Because there is only one engine in the plane, they've got no other options."

"Andy did what he was supposed to do."

The Canadair CT-114 Tutor jets that Snowbird pilots fly are more than 30 years old. But pilots have defended the program, saying the jets are safe.

In the most recent accident involving the famed Snowbirds aerobatic team, a pilot died in December 2004 when he collided with another jet.

Capt. Miles Selby, 31, of Tsawwassen, B.C., was killed instantly in the crash, 64 kilometres south of Moose Jaw, Sask.

Capt. Chuck Mallett, 35, of Delta, B.C., was thrown from his Tutor jet about 1,100 metres above ground level.

The Snowbirds had dedicated their 35th season in the air to Capt. Selby.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=PrintStory

Where does it say anything about Uranium?
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

It doesn't, that's the point.

I was just watching the news for a minute and it was saying how the plane had uranium on it so they had to take precautions.

It said that the uranium was on the plane for balance.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Comment

Radioactive materials can be used in small amounts to power black boxes and such, whats your big conspiracy theory on this? Were they smuggling it to North Korea on the snowbirds?
        http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

No, come on dude. I saw the news myself, I didn't see no mention of uranium. CTV news, right? Yeah, unless you watch Global then that could be it but I never saw any mention of uranium.

Comment

I don't remember which station it was because I was just flipping through channels till I seen it say a snowbird crashed so I only caught the end of it but they did say they had to take precautions because there was uranium on the plane for balance.

I thought the guy speaking about it was the pilot till I came on the net to find info about the uranium, saw those pictures of the pilot and realized it wasn't. Maybe it was another snowbird pilot. He was also saying to not just call it engine failure because they don't know that yet and it could have been anything.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:16 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Deborahlanker  
            Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:26 AM
            0 responses