• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President continues to hide behind 9/11

White House Briefing: Why President Embraces 9/11, Shuns Sheehan

By E&P Staff

Published: August 25, 2005 4:45 PM ET

NEW YORK Responding this week to growing public unrest about Iraq, and declining personal approval ratings, President Bush has revived an earlier strategy of linking the current war to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Today, a White House spokesman went even further, responding to the inevitable press questioning about the president's view of war protestor Cindy Sheehan's return to Texas by focusing on 9/11.

The spokesman, Trent Duffy, at a press briefing in Texas, also refused to be pinned down on whether the president had decided to rule out meeting with Sheehan again. And he said the president wasn't worried about the Iraqis putting off a vote on their new constitution because they are continuing to "work very hard" on it, and drew attention to how long it took America to finish its own constitution.

Here is much of the transcript:

Q Does the President feel that over the last couple of days he's made an effective and convincing case that Cindy Sheehan is misguided in her feelings about the war and what should happen to the troops?

MR. DUFFY: Well, first of all, the President has spoken continuously about the way he approaches this war, following September 11th, 2001. On September 14th, 2001, he stood at the National Cathedral and told all of America that this was going to be a very long and difficult war, and that there were going to be some very trying moments; but that because of what happened on 9/11, that we had to view the world in a different way.

The bipartisan 9/11 commission wrote all about this in chapter two. The name of that chapter is called, "The Foundation of the New Terrorism." And the bipartisan commission members wrote about the U.S. reaction to terrorist acts overseas in the years leading up to 9/11. They reached a fundamental conclusion: When America takes a single step backwards in the face of terrorism overseas, it brings the terrorists 50 steps closer to our own shores. We saw that after the result of embassy bombings of American embassies overseas, after the U.S.S. Cole was bombed, after Beirut, after Somalia.

The President reiterated that on Tuesday. He empathizes with Ms. Sheehan and those who have lost loved ones. He said Tuesday, again, that they do not represent the view of all mothers and fathers and husbands and wives and children. But we certainly empathize with Ms. Sheehan and those who oppose the war. The President feels fundamentally differently. He'll continue to talk about why it's necessary to win this war. And I might point that the American Legion, at their national convention on Tuesday, overwhelmingly passed a resolution in support of the President's approach to the war on terror.

Q Trent, when the President was asked on Tuesday if he will meet with Cindy Sheehan, he didn't really give a direct answer. Can you say that there are no plans for him, that he has decided he won't meet with her again?

MR. DUFFY: He said he met with Ms. Sheehan; he did. If there's anything to announce on the President's schedule, we'll let you know. I mean, again, he's met with close to 300 families and close to 1,000 family members of those who have lost a loved one in this conflict. He believes it's one of his most important and solemn responsibilities, and he has chosen to make those meetings private. And he believes that that's just the appropriate way to go about that.

Q Well, once again you're leaving it open whether or not he'll meet with her. Is that what you're trying to do, or can you just say the President has decided he doesn't see a point in meeting with her again?

MR. DUFFY: I think the President addressed that directly. You know how we deal with things like the President's future schedule, which is that we don't announce it prior to it coming up. So if there are any announcements, we'll let you know. The President was asked on a number of occasions about this, he's answered it directly, and I don't have anything more to add.

Q Do you have any more of a readout on the meetings the President had with families yesterday? You told us a little bit about it, but do you know if any of them directly voiced any concern about how the war is progressing to Mr. Bush or the First Lady directly?

MR. DUFFY: From those I talked with, I certainly didn't pick up anything along those lines. Obviously, you saw the reaction in the hall at the public event by the National Guard, which, many of you have written about, has undergone great challenge in this conflict. And I think we all witnessed the kind of support that the National Guard and Reserve members and the family members there were expressing.

Q Beyond sharing, you know, consolation and the emotion, do you know if he has ever been directly challenged by a family member in any of the 300-some meetings?

MR. DUFFY: There are different views expressed, there's no question about it. As the President said on Tuesday, most of those he meets with express support for going forward in the way and the manner in which the President has laid out. But there are those who have different views. And the President spoke to that directly after his meeting with his foreign policy team and he appreciates that. That's also part of his responsibilities as Commander-in-Chief.

----------

When all else fails, reference 9/11. The president continues to hide behind 9/11 to justify war in Iraq when Saddam had no ties to Al Queda. This excuse is getting very old.

hang bush for treason,,,,,, just putting it out there.
    the last vet.before everyone got vetted
    Originally posted by MarshallArts
    Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

Let's go swiming!
      Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

On what grounds should the U.S. not be in Iraq?

People always say the US should practice isolation, and stay out of everyone's business. We did this for a long time before WW2. The US stayed out of it, at all costs for a LONG time, and look how that turned out.

Bottom line... there are terrorist camps in Iraq that are training people to hate America and kill as many Americans as they can, at young ages. That's not our business? We shouldn't worry about that?

Give me a fucking break.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crunk

People always say the US should practice isolation, and stay out of everyone's business. We did this for a long time before WW2. The US stayed out of it, at all costs for a LONG time, and look how that turned out.

Bottom line... there are terrorist camps in Iraq that are training people to hate America and kill as many Americans as they can, at young ages. That's not our business? We shouldn't worry about that?

Give me a fucking break.

there wasn't terrorist camps in Iraq under saddam's rule...
          I beleive you are thinking of every other mideastern country.

Comment

Originally posted by reservoirGod
            I beleive you are thinking of every other mideastern country.
            Basically, only without the "other" part.

"there wasn't terrorist camps in Iraq under saddam's rule..."

Jokes?

I believe you just mean Saddam wasn't ruling them.

Comment

Basically, only without the "other" part.

"there wasn't terrorist camps in Iraq under saddam's rule..."

Jokes?

I believe you just mean Saddam wasn't ruling them.
              Saddam ruled everything in Iraq.
              there wasn't terrorist training camps in Iraq under Saddam rule.
              there is in almost every other mideastern country.
              we didn't invade them.
              Last edited by reservoirGod; 08-27-2005, 05:36 PM.

Comment

No shit.

By ruling, I meant, in charge of / cooridnating everything about them.

Where did you get that from?

we didn't invade them.
                Yet.
                Last edited by Captain Crunk; 08-27-2005, 05:42 PM.

Comment

we didn't invade them.

Comment

Give me a fucking break.
                    lol.. Ok Mr. Amerika

The arabs involved in 9/11 were Saudis. not iraqi's.

Comment

No shit.

By ruling, I meant, in charge of / cooridnating everything about them.
                      he was a secular meglomaniac, that would crush any kind of Islamic fundamental upraising... he ruled with a military not terrorists- those are the other (Islamic-ruled) countries in the region.

Where did you get that from?
                      Being alive and paying attention for the last 20 years?
                      From reality, where all facts orignate from (probably, not the news outlets you subscribe to).

Yet.
                      We won't ever attact the real terrorists exporting money and Nuke having countries with real terrorists training camps: Saudi Arabia and Pakistan... home of both 9-11(S. A.) and 7-7-05 (Paki) terrorist and financial suppliers of terrorists world wide (both) and Nuclear traders with North Korea (Paki) and most likely the current home of Osama bin Laden (experts say Pakistan, I say Saudi Arabia).

Comment

Originally posted by whereismarshall
                        lol.. Ok Mr. Amerika

The arabs involved in 9/11 were Saudis. not iraqi's.
                        I didn't say anything about 9/11 you dumb liberal.

Comment

This is all about 9/11.. The Iraq war is based on 9/11. Ask the president you dumbass.

Comment

I was pointing out how terrorists who attacked us were trained in other countries beside Iraq... also I'm not a liberal, rather a Conservative Democrat.

Comment

he was a secular meglomaniac, that would crush any kind of Islamic fundamental upraising... he ruled with a military not terrorists- those are the other (Islamic-ruled) countries in the region.
                              I'm going to take a different route and just post a picture.

Being alive and paying attention for the last 20 years?
                              From reality, where all facts orignate from (probably, not the news outlets you subscribe to).
                              You live in a different reality than me. See, mine is one that contains real facts, and documentation. People who see things for the way they truly are, and accept that.

Your reality is a biased liberal-radio talk show. One that is filled with and made by liars, and conspiracy theorists who lead boring lives and consistantly feel the need for there to be 'more to everything'.

We won't ever attact the real terrorists exporting money and Nuke having countries with real terrorists training camps: Saudi Arabia and Pakistan... home of both 9-11(S. A.) and 7-7-05 (Paki) terrorist and financial suppliers of terrorists world wide (both) and Nuclear traders with North Korea (Paki) and most likely the current home of Osama bin Laden (experts say Pakistan, I say Saudi Arabia).
                              Should U.S. forces invade Saudi Arabia too? Definitely.

They need to invade every country that trains people to hate and kill Americans, this includes Iraq. End of discussion.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Steve--O, 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
                              52 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post OlmanGrand  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:52 AM
                              0 responses