Cluster Bombs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster Bombs

The Iraqi population are subjected to a lovely piece of hardware called the cluster bomb...

http://www.itvs.org/bombies/bombs.html

Cluster bombs are small explosive bomblets carried in a large cannister that opens in mid-air, scattering them over a wide area. The bomblets may be delivered by aircraft, rocket, or by artillery projectiles.

The CBU (cluster bomb unit) 26, which was widely used in Laos, is an anti-personnel fragmentation bomb that consists of a large bombshell holding 670 tennis ball-sized bomblets, each of which contain 300 metal fragments. If all the bomblets detonate, some 200,000 steel fragments will be propelled over an area the size of several football fields, creating a deadly killing zone.

Because the fragments travel at high velocity, when they strike people they set up pressure waves within the body that do horrific damage to soft tissue and organs: even a single fragment hitting somewhere else in the body can rupture the spleen, or cause the intestines to explode. This is not an unfortunate, unintended side-effect; these bombs were designed to do this.

During its wars in Indochina, the U.S. dropped enormous amounts of cluster bombs. A B-52 bomber fitted with two Hayes dispensers could drop 25,000 bomblets on a single bombing run. It's estimated that some 90 million CBU-26 bomblets were dropped on Laos (and the CBU-26 is just one of 12 different kinds of cluster bombs that have been recovered there to date).

Because cluster bombs disperse widely and are difficult to target precisely, they are especially dangerous when used near civilian areas. In addition, they are prone to failure: if the container opens at the wrong height, or the bomblets don't fuse properly, or their descent is broken by trees, or they land on soft ground - they may not detonate. With a high dud rate estimated to be 10 to 30 percent, unexploded cluster bombs lay on the ground becoming, in effect, super landmines, and can explode at the slightest touch. They have proven to be a serious, long-lasting threat, especially to civilians, but also to soldiers, peacekeepers and bomb clearance experts. Children, who are sometimes attracted to the bomblets' bright colors and interesting shapes, represent a high percentage of victims.

Cluster bomblets become less stable - and more dangerous - as time passes. In Laos, nearly every day people are still being killed from bombs dropped 30 years ago. With an estimated 10 million (or more) unexploded cluster bombs, it could be many decades - or even centuries - until the killing is over.

There are many different kinds of cluster bombs. The WDU-4, used in Indochina, contained 6,000 barbed metal darts which were released overhead. Eyewitness accounts tell of the WDU-4 literally nailing people to the ground. The CBU- 41 has bomblets filled with naplam, the CBU-89 disperses mines, and the Honest John carries 368 bomblets filled with sarin nerve gas. The CBU-87, widely used by the U.S. during the Gulf War, the Kosovo War, and the war in Afghanistan, has three kill mechanisms: anti-personnel (for people), anti-armor (for tanks), and incendiary (setting the target area on fire). The B1 bomber can carry enough cluster bombs to turn an area the size of 350 football fields into a killing zone.

The Consequences
    Wherever they been used - Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Sudan, Lebanon, Iraq, Kuwait, Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Ethiopia, Chechnya, and Afghanistan, unexploded cluster bombs have created problems for civilians:

* During the Gulf War over 30 million cluster bomblets were dropped on Kuwait and Iraq and, in the following months, unexploded bombs killed 1,600 civilians and injured another 2,500.

* According to a recent study by the Red Cross, children in Kosovo are five times more likely to be killed or injured by a NATO-dropped unexploded cluster bomb than by a Serbian landmine.

* Today, in Afghanistan, reports indicate that the U.S. use of cluster bombs is causing the same kinds of tragic consequences for civilians there as they did in other countries. Because cluster bombs are area weapons with a wide dispersal pattern, they kill living things indiscriminately, including civilians. And their high-failure rate means that the killing of innocent people will continue long after the bombs stop dropping.

Cluster Bombs Today
    Their current use in Afghanistan is helping to focus the world's attention on cluster bombs. Many feel that their impact on civilians is unacceptable and a breach of international humanitarian law. More than 50 international organizations, including the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Mennonite Central Committee, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and the International Committee to Ban Landmines have called for a moratorium on cluster bomb use. And, in spite of the fact that cluster bombs are one of the favorite and most deadly weapons in the U.S. and NATO arsenals, on December 13, 2001 the European Parliament passed a resolution calling for an immediate global moratorium on their use to be followed by an outright ban.

We could pick them up or actually keep track of where we drop them, but eh..

Comment

Good thread. Really educates one of the ruthlessness of the United States.

The Americans blame Pol Pot for two million Cambodian deaths. Yet they, the Americans, used all their cluster bombs and other weapons of mass destruction to completely flatten the Cambodian citys and more than likely killed the majority of those peoples that perished in that time. Yet Pol Pot gets blamed for murdering people, when the facts are he most likely saved lives by taking people out of the city to escape from United States imperialism at its worst.

Comment

^i know nothing about that could you educate me, give me some links, like i googled but i only see them talking about him Pol Pot doing everything.....

Use of incendiary weapons is restricted under the 1980 UN Convention on Weapons Which May Be Deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects. Protocol III of this Convention makes it "prohibited in all circumstances to make any military objective located within a concentration of civilians the object of attack by air-delivered incendiary weapons" (article II.2). The UK ratified both the Convention and Protocol III on 13 February 1995, and remains fully bound to them. More than 80 other countries around the world have ratified the treaty, and almost none retain incendiary weapons in their arsenals. However, although the United States has ratified the convention, it has not signed up to the protocol on incendiary weapons. It continues to stockpile and use napalm-type weapons.

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/arti...view/966/1/32/
        http://d12world.com/board/showthread...a2c42&t=247875

Comment

Like US gives a fuck about a UN convention.... anyways cluster bombs should definately get banned.

Comment

The US should be banned from making bombs in the first place.

Goddamn Chinese..

Comment

honestly i cant look at those pics........
              http://d12world.com/board/showthread...a2c42&t=247875

Comment

it's also fucked up that the cluster bombs and the food packages are the same color:

Published on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 on WorkingforChange.com
                Food or Cluster Bomb?
                by Laura Flanders

A handful of readers were outraged a few weeks back when I employed some imagination -- an indispensable tool of journalism -- to put two and two together and suggest that in the matter of the U.S. assault on Afghanistan, feeding and bombing wouldn't mix.

Now, sadly, there's no doubt that many of the food packets the U.S. forces have dropped have gotten into the wrong hands and as the U.S. bombing mission enters its fourth week, the United Nations' World Food Program is saying that the first snows -- expected around November 15 -- are about to block mountain passes and roads, making it hard to get more effective aid deliveries through.

Relief officials on the ground are fearful that if there is no suspension of bombing long enough to let sufficient numbers of truck shipments into the country, millions of Afghan civilians will starve to death: "Millions -- literally millions -- of Afghan civilians will starve to death this winter unless the U.S. military suspends its attacks and allows the UN to re-establish effective food distribution." Sarah Zaidi, research director of the Center for Economic and Social Rights in Pakistan told the Institute for Public Accuracy at the weekend. Zaidi's group has produced three comprehensive fact sheets on Afghanistan since September 11.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has sounded an alarm over the use of cluster bombs by American aircraft. According to a report published Friday, in the News International of Pakistan, U.S. cluster bombs killed eight people in a Herat village called Shaker Qala last week.

Cluster bombs are dropped in a casing which is supposed to split open in mid-air, scattering up to 200 bomblets the size of soft drink cans over an area as big as a U.S. football field. They are used to destroy vehicles, to start fires and as an anti-personnel weapon. Sometimes they descend with mini-parachutes designed to prevent explosion on impact, so that they deny the enemy the use of an area such as an airfield. (Shaker Qala, we're told, lies near a military camp.)

"The villagers have a lot to be afraid of, because these bomblets, if they did not explode, are very dangerous," Dan Kelly, manager of a UN mine removal program for Afghanistan, told the News. "They can explode if the villagers so much as touch them."

And finally, here comes this news, from the BBC: "The United States is seeking to avert further criticism over the use of cluster bombs in Afghanistan by warning the Afghan people not to confuse unexploded bombs with food drops."

The BBC (Sunday, October 28) reported that the yellow casing on the cluster bombs that U.S. forces are dropping on Afghanistan "means that from a distance they are hard to distinguish from the emergency food parcels wrapped in yellow plastic that U.S. planes have been dropping over the last few weeks."

The source for the BBC account was a U.S. psychological operations (psy-ops) radio broadcast. BBC Monitoring, a service based in southern England, selects and translates information from radio, television, press, news agencies and the internet from 150 countries in more than 70 languages, apparently including psy-op broadcasts.

According to the BBC, U.S. forces are using radio to reassure Afghans in Dari and Pashto -- two of five regional languages. The psy-ops messages also reveal U.S. concerns.

"Attention, noble Afghan people," the messages begin. "As you know, the coalition countries have been air-dropping daily humanitarian rations for you, the food ration is enclosed in yellow plastic bags. They come in the shape of rectangular or long squares. The food inside the bags is Halal and very nutritional."

In future, say the psy-ops broadcasters, "cluster bombs will not be dropped in areas where food is air-dropped."

"However, we do not wish to see an innocent civilian mistake the bombs for food bags and take it away believing that it might contain food."

"In areas away from where food has been dropped, cluster bombs will also be dropped. The color of these bombs is also yellow."

"Do not confuse the cylinder-shaped bomb with the rectangular food bag," the message concluded.

I only wish I was making this stuff up.

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/...01/1030-11.htm
                Last edited by Cryptic; 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM.

Comment

it's remarkable that the neocons aren't saying anything about this!
                  if you give me a rep PLZ LEAVE YOUR NAME so i can know who you are,especially if you leave me a bad one,have the damn guts to leave ur damn name!

Comment

Originally posted by Head Phones
                    ^i know nothing about that could you educate me, give me some links, like i googled but i only see them talking about him Pol Pot doing everything.....
                    http://www.chss.montclair.edu/englis...arion0498.html
                    http://www.plp.org/cd_sup/khmerrouge.html

I'm not surprised that you know nothing about it as it's one of those topics that the majority only know U.S. propaganda take on the events.

The same can be said, although a little more complicated, about Stalin and Mao.
                    Last edited by | K Y L E |; 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM.

Comment

upping....

Comment

America should not have nuclear power! food bags having the same colour as boms is unacceptable,i can't understand why americans approve of this,i mean,they even say things like,"when we bomb you,hide"
                        if you give me a rep PLZ LEAVE YOUR NAME so i can know who you are,especially if you leave me a bad one,have the damn guts to leave ur damn name!

Comment

I guess they didn't learn much about nuclear bombs from the episode that happened in Hiroshima & Nagasaki, saw a documentary about that couple weeks ago, damn it looked horribly, nice documentary though...
                          There are guys who just figure
                          Have a problem with a gun
                          And a finger on a trigger
                          Can be dangerous and hurt someone

Poor Lonesome Cowboy

Comment

Originally posted by Carina
                            I guess they didn't learn much about nuclear bombs from the episode that happened in Hiroshima & Nagasaki, saw a documentary about that couple weeks ago, damn it looked horribly, nice documentary though...
                            yes,i saw a documentary also about hirosjima,there should be like a movie about this,a big production,like pearl harbor,to show to americans "see what you have done?"

Comment

^ Agree... it's bullshit they only make movies from "the good side"-point-of-view, they have a lot of 2nd World War-documentaries on a channel where I live at the moment because it's 60 years ago the war ended... I thought "Der Untergang" was a very nice movie
                              There are guys who just figure
                              Have a problem with a gun
                              And a finger on a trigger
                              Can be dangerous and hurt someone

Poor Lonesome Cowboy

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Nancystarkman, 11-17-2021, 09:29 AM