• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor of New Orleans Very Pissed At Bush

www.cnn.com

Click on:
    • Watch: Mayor: 'Get off your asses'

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blasted the slow pace of federal and state relief efforts in an expletive-laced interview with local radio station WWL-AM.

The following is a transcript of WWL correspondent Garland Robinette's interview with Nagin on Thursday night. Robinette asked the mayor about his conversation with President Bush:

NAGIN: I told him we had an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Air Force One does not do it justice. And that I have been all around this city, and I am very frustrated because we are not able to marshal resources and we're outmanned in just about every respect.

You know the reason why the looters got out of control? Because we had most of our resources saving people, thousands of people that were stuck in attics, man, old ladies. ... You pull off the doggone ventilator vent and you look down there and they're standing in there in water up to their freaking necks.

And they don't have a clue what's going on down here. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn -- excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.

WWL: Did you say to the president of the United States, "I need the military in here"?

NAGIN: I said, "I need everything."

Now, I will tell you this -- and I give the president some credit on this -- he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is [Lt.] Gen. [Russel] Honore.

And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

They ought to give that guy -- if they don't want to give it to me, give him full authority to get the job done, and we can save some people.

WWL: What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy.

I've got 15,000 to 20,000 people over at the convention center. It's bursting at the seams. The poor people in Plaquemines Parish. ... We don't have anything, and we're sharing with our brothers in Plaquemines Parish.

WWL: Do you believe that the president is seeing this, holding a news conference on it but can't do anything until [Louisiana Gov.] Kathleen Blanco requested him to do it? And do you know whether or not she has made that request?

NAGIN: I have no idea what they're doing. But I will tell you this: You know, God is looking down on all this and if they are not doing everything in their power to save people they are going to pay the price. Because every day that we delay, people are dying and they're dying by the hundreds, I'm willing to bet you.

We're getting reports and calls that are breaking my heart, from people saying, "I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out." And that's happening as we speak.

You know what really upsets me, Garland? We told everybody the importance of the 17th Street Canal issue. We said, "Please, please take care of this. We don't care what you do. Figure it out."

WWL: Why couldn't they drop the 3,000-pound sandbags or the containers that they were talking about earlier? Was it an engineering feat that just couldn't be done?

NAGIN: They said it was some pulleys that they had to manufacture. But, you know, in a state of emergency, man, you are creative, you figure out ways to get stuff done.

Then they told me that they went overnight and they built 17 concrete structures and they had the pulleys on them and they were going to drop them.

I flew over that thing yesterday, and it's in the same shape that it was after the storm hit. There is nothing happening. And they're feeding the public a line of bull and they're spinning, and people are dying down here.

read the rest at CNN.com.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 09-02-2005, 09:53 AM.

Originally posted by Payne
    www.cnn.com

Click on:
    • Watch: Mayor: 'Get off your asses'

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blasted the slow pace of federal and state relief efforts in an expletive-laced interview with local radio station WWL-AM.

The following is a transcript of WWL correspondent Garland Robinette's interview with Nagin on Thursday night. Robinette asked the mayor about his conversation with President Bush:

NAGIN: I told him we had an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Air Force One does not do it justice. And that I have been all around this city, and I am very frustrated because we are not able to marshal resources and we're outmanned in just about every respect.

ou know the reason why the looters got out of control? Because we had most of our resources saving people, thousands of people that were stuck in attics, man, old ladies. ... You pull off the doggone ventilator vent and you look down there and they're standing in there in water up to their freaking necks.

And they don't have a clue what's going on down here. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn -- excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.

WWL: Did you say to the president of the United States, "I need the military in here"?

NAGIN: I said, "I need everything."

Now, I will tell you this -- and I give the president some credit on this -- he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is [Lt.] Gen. [Russel] Honore.

And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

They ought to give that guy -- if they don't want to give it to me, give him full authority to get the job done, and we can save some people.

WWL: What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy.

I've got 15,000 to 20,000 people over at the convention center. It's bursting at the seams. The poor people in Plaquemines Parish. ... We don't have anything, and we're sharing with our brothers in Plaquemines Parish.

read the rest at CNN.com.
    the mayor shooda got up and beat george bush's ugly ass stomped horse shit lookin face
    FUCK YOU BITCH!!!! YEA YOU

Comment

WWL: If some of the public called and they're right, that there's a law that the president, that the federal government can't do anything without local or state requests, would you request martial law?

NAGIN: I've already called for martial law in the city of New Orleans. We did that a few days ago.

WWL: Did the governor do that, too?

NAGIN: I don't know. I don't think so.

But we called for martial law when we realized that the looting was getting out of control. And we redirected all of our police officers back to patrolling the streets. They were dead-tired from saving people, but they worked all night because we thought this thing was going to blow wide open last night. And so we redirected all of our resources, and we hold it under check.

I'm not sure if we can do that another night with the current resources.

And I am telling you right now: They're showing all these reports of people looting and doing all that weird stuff, and they are doing that, but people are desperate and they're trying to find food and water, the majority of them.

Now you got some knuckleheads out there, and they are taking advantage of this lawless -- this situation where, you know, we can't really control it, and they're doing some awful, awful things. But that's a small majority of the people. Most people are looking to try and survive.

And one of the things people -- nobody's talked about this. Drugs flowed in and out of New Orleans and the surrounding metropolitan area so freely it was scary to me, and that's why we were having the escalation in murders. People don't want to talk about this, but I'm going to talk about it.

You have drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix, and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They're looking for something to take the edge off of their jones, if you will.

And right now, they don't have anything to take the edge off. And they've probably found guns. So what you're seeing is drug-starving crazy addicts, drug addicts, that are wrecking havoc. And we don't have the manpower to adequately deal with it. We can only target certain sections of the city and form a perimeter around them and hope to God that we're not overrun.

WWL: Well, you and I must be in the minority. Because apparently there's a section of our citizenry out there that thinks because of a law that says the federal government can't come in unless requested by the proper people, that everything that's going on to this point has been done as good as it can possibly be.

NAGIN: Really?

WWL: I know you don't feel that way.

NAGIN: Well, did the tsunami victims request? Did it go through a formal process to request?

You know, did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there? What is more important?

And I'll tell you, man, I'm probably going get in a whole bunch of trouble. I'm probably going to get in so much trouble it ain't even funny. You probably won't even want to deal with me after this interview is over.

WWL: You and I will be in the funny place together.

NAGIN: But we authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq lickety-quick. After 9/11, we gave the president unprecedented powers lickety-quick to take care of New York and other places.

Now, you mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place that is so unique when you mention New Orleans anywhere around the world, everybody's eyes light up -- you mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on, man.

You know, I'm not one of those drug addicts. I am thinking very clearly.

And I don't know whose problem it is. I don't know whether it's the governor's problem. I don't know whether it's the president's problem, but somebody needs to get their ass on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now.

WWL: What can we do here?

NAGIN: Keep talking about it.

WWL: We'll do that. What else can we do?

NAGIN: Organize people to write letters and make calls to their congressmen, to the president, to the governor. Flood their doggone offices with requests to do something. This is ridiculous.

I don't want to see anybody do anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to this city and stand with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can't even count.

Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here. It's too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country.

WWL: I'll say it right now, you're the only politician that's called and called for arms like this. And if -- whatever it takes, the governor, president -- whatever law precedent it takes, whatever it takes, I bet that the people listening to you are on your side.

NAGIN: Well, I hope so, Garland. I am just -- I'm at the point now where it don't matter. People are dying. They don't have homes. They don't have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same in this time.

WWL: We're both pretty speechless here.

NAGIN: Yeah, I don't know what to say. I got to go.

WWL: OK. Keep in touch. Keep in touch.

Comment

how are they supposed to even help
        all your soldiers are in other coutrys that you dont even have anything to do with
        americas leaders suck so much its unbelieveble
        i really feel sorry for americans (in a positive way)
        people hate on you all the time but its really just your leaders or corporate system thats way too curupt and messes things up for the entire world

Comment

Man even FOX news is criticizing Bush... when I was watching that guy's show last evening with him ranting and raving... I thought I was watching Alex Jones show.

I was really surprised.

Comment

wow! fox is criticizing bush? wow,that's big!bush really screwed up this time! he apparently thought that noone would care about a bunch of poor black ppl,and he was wrong,very wrong!
            if you give me a rep PLZ LEAVE YOUR NAME so i can know who you are,especially if you leave me a bad one,have the damn guts to leave ur damn name!

Comment

just cuz fox is criticizing bush doesnt mean anything really
              there could always be a bigger picture
              maybe they want everyone to hate bush from now on so that his appointed follower can win votes by also talking about how much bush sucks
              so all the people will agree with him thinking they got a real opinion when really the opinion was giving to them because of stuff like this happening now

payne: can you tell me how the president voting thing in america works cuz i find it really hard to believe that you can only chose from 2 people
              cuz thats not a vote esspecially not when one is liberal and the other is the opposit because then for liberal people there would only be 1 person to chose from
              and its not a vote when you got only 1 person to chose from
              (hope it makes sense my english sucks when i get all excited haha)

Comment

Hats off to that mayor. But fuck this situation is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyClocker
                  payne: can you tell me how the president voting thing in america works cuz i find it really hard to believe that you can only chose from 2 people
                  cuz thats not a vote esspecially not when one is liberal and the other is the opposit because then for liberal people there would only be 1 person to chose from
                  and its not a vote when you got only 1 person to chose from
                  (hope it makes sense my english sucks when i get all excited haha)
                  http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college1.htm

But it boils down to those who are groomed by the elite groups such as Bilderbergs who ADMIT (http://www.agrnews.org/issues/124/worldnews.html) that they groomed Bill Clinton and Tony Blair before their reigns. And not to mention Bush and Kerry (the two presidential candidates) are 9th cousins and members of the SAME fraternity (skull and bones or order of death..see Wikipedia).

Comment

i just read this on a local forum here in dallas...

heres the response i put there:
                    That man is a Saint. We need someone like him to run for National office.

He actually cares about the people in his city, and its sad to see our President ignoring their pleas. I guess hes busy liberating people who "hate our freedom".

George W. Bush is a heartless, dumb, ignorant bag of shit.

Bush needs to pull out of his clusterfuck in Iraq, and send them to help his own country.

But we can't do that now that we are neck deep in the shitstorm he created over there so it seems Americans will have to suffer due to incompetence.

We are the Worlds richest nation, and people are starving to death in New Orleans for how many days? People are dying with no National Aid for how many days?

Reasons for impeachment pile up more and more every day.
                    "Yeah, you know me, but just the me I let you see so you can set yourself free. They're gonna have to fuck Slug up to shut Slug up."- Slug

"I don't wanna die without any scars."- Tyler Durden

Comment

First of all, I think it's a good and possibly even brave thing for the mayor of new orleans to do. He's being a good leader, he's demanding more for his people. He's doing what's best for his city, that's what a good mayor does. I think maybe we underestimated the scope of this disaster, and failed to account for just how bad and difficult it would be. What is being done now, considering the conditions there, is not enough. More needs to be done, of course it does. But at the same time I don't think Bush is anyone to be ANGRY at over this. The scope of the federal aid and help and preparation was ALREADY unprecedented. In other words, more was being done to aid this disaster than any other domestic federal aid mission for a natural disaster. It's just that it still isn't enough. It's not that we would be doing this better if we were not in Iraq, however it is sad to spend so much money on fixing other places before REAL vulnerabilities.

But I don't think the real true problem is that people are lazy or don't have their act together -- I think it's really just that it's hard to understand just how massive this disaster is. This is truly something bigger than we could fix in just a few days. This is something beyond what we were ready for. I think a lot of people, myself included, had expectations that we'd be able to clean this up better than we've been able to. I think I had high expectations in how strong and efficient America was - personally this kind of disaster was always something I thought happened somewhere else. I think this is coming as a shock to a lot of Americans because we're not used to having disasters like this where an entire city descends into utter chaos. In 9/11 there were a lot deaths, but the city of new york went on. People were helping other people. In new orleans they're shooting and looting.

If this had happened in another of the world, to be honest I would've probably thought it's too bad they don't have technology or a military like America does, we'd have this under control right now. But I think what this whole situation really shows is just how weak we still are. It's an example that hits home about the awesome power of the forces of nature. This isn't something people should be angry about and fight about, it should be something people are concerned about and care about helping out. Nobody has to be to blame for it, we just have to face the fact that yeah it happened in American and no we couldn't fix it in 5 days. It's not that we have this awesome power and Bush just decided not to use it on New Orleans. Of course we didn't do enough, but think about just how massive this is - everyone is fighting to make it better and it's not like people just aren't trying. It's just too much, it's too big of a disaster, more than we expected.

TommyClocker: In America when you vote for president, each state gets a certain number of electoral votes based on their population. If the majority of a person in a state vote for a certain candidate, the electoral votes for the whole state go to that candidate. To become president you have to get a MAJORITY of the electoral votes. In other words, you have to get more than half the votes. You can't just have more votes than anyone else. A purality isn't enough, you need more than half. So that makes it naturally set up for there to be 2 major parties. All the liberals group together so that a liberal president can have more than half the votes, same with the conservatives. The whole majority thing is the reason America has a 2 party system while other countries have many parties.

Comment

Straight up, I am glad we're at a point where people care about poor people and Black people at that. I am moved by this mayor, and homeboy up there said it right, it is rare in politics that we see a politician who gives a flying fuck. Bush and whoever gives him his orders are showing their true colors, but since he couldn't have another term in office, I am not sure it matters. But this is a sick blemish on the face of the US, and a clear indication to us all, that our gov't WILL leave us to live like "3rd world" (I hate that term) citizens.

Understand that a CLEAR precedent is set. Americans can starve and die in pools of shit, en masse. This is DANGEROUS ground in a country at war that also has a law like the Patriot Act. This precedent of treating Americans like developing countries' populations is a very bad light to shine on things, but there it is. We've been officially warned. They just might leave us to starve while they "liberate" other countries from BETTER conditions than starving in shit, for the most part........

Is totally sick......sorry, not sure if I am coherent, but I am pissed off......

Peace

Who among you believes in God and Prayer: PRAY

Who believes in discussion: TALK

Who believes in knowledge: LEARN

BUT ALL OF YOU WRITE YOUR CONGRESS PEOPLE AND DEMAND THAT THEY TREAT AMERICANS BETTER THAN OUR ENEMIES DO. DEMAND CIVILIZATION VISIT NEW ORLEANS AGAIN.....

Peace
                        Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
                        Would you let the system
                        make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

Word rainstorm. I understand where the other people are coming from too... I mean we shouldn't be all angry but instead cooperate in this time of crisis and work on ameliorating the situation doing the best we can. But that's not what's happening and there are people probably still stuck in their attics as we speak. The mayors comments prove that the media is downplaying the disaster and not much is being done. I believe there was more than enough time to prepare for this type of a natural disaster and the lack of response is just outrageous. I do partially blame the Bush administration for CUTTING funding for strengethening and raising the New Orleans levees..

New Orleans make it clear that the Bush administration slashed the funding for the Corps of Engineers' projects to strengthen and raise the New Orleans levees and diverted the money to the Iraq war.

It appears that the money has been moved in the president’s budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that’s the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can’t be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.

-- Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004.
                          Last edited by Cryptic; 09-02-2005, 11:44 AM.

Comment

For the record, as much as I respect SlamboS, and I really honestly do respect him in heavy doses, I gotta say, I don't think it is that simple. I think it is a basic formula that is constant in the world, cost vs. benefit. If people didn't cry out, I think the powers above would be happy to let Louisiana sink into the sea. I also think that if this were Beverley Hills, order would be so close to being restored that we'd have few complaints. To say we just didn't know is the last ditch excuse they always fall back on. They didn't know about plans to hijack planes. They didn't know how to intercept hijacked planes, they didn't know Saddam had no WMDs, they didn't know how to find Bin Laden, they didn't know what was going on Abu Graihb, they didn't know Guantanamo is filled with innocent teenagers, they didn't know that N.O. descended into Chaos and would descend into chaos cos there was NOTHING left to prevent that.

Nah, in EACH other situation they say they simply didn't know, we find out they did, and covered it up for temporary political or economic gain. I can't see how they didn't know. It's not on the other side of the world. They had to know.

Again, would they simply not have known if it were Beverley Hills? No. They'd know cos they WANTED to know. YES, someone CAN and NEEDS TO BE blamed, but it is not simply Bush. It is the NATURE of power structures, to overlook human costs, as they are short term economic gains that may become long term economic losses. But we never look at anything longterm anymore, do we?

I think this was a deliberate oversight, and I don't believe for one second that if these people were rich and White, there'd be ANY parallel to what's going on. I'll bet further that in the months to come we'll find proof of this.

Still forever, big up SlamboS!

Peace
                            Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
                            Would you let the system
                            make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

True, from what I can find out funding was cut for the flood projects, but isn't it up to the local officials to make up for these deficets? I'm not saying it was right to cut funding, but it just goes to show that if the federal officials didn't think the project was important enough to have all their monies, neither did the local officials, because after the funding was supposively pulled, they did not make up for it from their local coffers.
                              http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

“if somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 52, no. 260).

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 12:27 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:16 AM
                              0 responses