• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians beat U.S. Army to N.O. Suburb

Canadians beat U.S. Army to New Orleans suburb
    08 Sep 2005 05:08:07 GMT

Source: Reuters

BATON ROUGE, La., Sept 7 (Reuters) - A Canadian search-and-rescue team reached a flooded New Orleans suburb to help save trapped residents five days before the U.S. military, a Louisiana state senator said on Wednesday.

The Canadians beat both the Army and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. disaster response department, to St. Bernard Parish east of New Orleans, where flood waters are still 8 feet (2.4 metres) deep in places, Sen. Walter Boasso said.

"Fabulous, fabulous guys," Boasso said. "They started rolling with us and got in boats to save people."

"We've got Canadian flags flying everywhere."

The stricken parish of 68,000 people was largely ignored by U.S. authorities who scrambled to get aid to New Orleans, a few miles (km) away. Boasso said residents of the outlying parishes had to mount their own rescue and relief efforts when Hurricane Katrina roared ashore on Aug. 29.

The U.S. government response to the disaster has been widely criticized. Politicians and editorial writers have called for the resignation of top Bush administration officials.

Boasso said U.S. authorities began airdropping relief supplies to St. Bernard last Wednesday, the same day the Canadian rescue team of about 50 members arrived from Vancouver, nearly 2,200 miles (3,540 km) away.

"They chartered a plane and flew down," he said.

Two FEMA officials reached the parish on Sunday and the U.S. Army arrived on Monday, he said.

"Why does it take them seven days to get the Army in?" Boasso asked.

He speculated that the smaller parishes suffered because the focus was on New Orleans, the famous home of jazz and Mardi Gras.

As for the Canadians, Boasso gave thanks for their quick work.

"They were so glad to be here," he said. "They're still here. They are actually going door-to-door looking in the attics" for people to rescue, he said.

AlertNet news is provided by

Bush joins other Americans in thanking Canada for Katrina relief efforts
    05:22 PM EDT Sep 09
    BETH GORHAM

WASHINGTON (CP) - President George W. Bush offered thanks Friday to Canada and other countries for their "outpouring of compassion" and substantial relief for the countless U.S. victims of hurricane Katrina.

Other Americans, too, are praising the variety of assistance from Canadians and the way it is being delivered. "In this time of struggle, the American people need to know we're not struggling alone," Bush said in Washington during the swearing-in for Karen Hughes, the State Department's new undersecretary for public diplomacy.

"I want to thank the world community for its prayers and for the offers of assistance that have come from all around the world. The outpouring of compassion and support has been substantial."

Bush listed the aid offered by a host of countries, rich and poor alike. Even war-torn Afghanistan has pledged $100,000 US in aid.

"Canada has sent ships with disaster supplies," the president said. "Air Canada's planes assisted in the evacuation."

Bush was referring to two aspects of the wide range of aid being provided by Canadians to the hurricane-struck areas and its hundreds of thousands of displaced people.

Three Canadian warships - the destroyer HMCS Athabaskan, frigates HMCS Ville de Quebec and HMCS Toronto - and the Coast Guard ship Sir William Alexander left Halifax on Tuesday packed with relief supplies, helicopters to deliver them, and about 1,000 Canadian Forces personnel ready for a variety of chores. They are expected to arrive off the U.S. Gulf Coast early next week.

Air Canada provided shuttle flights to help in the evacuation of about 25,000 people from New Orleans to San Antonio, Texas. The airline also used an Airbus passenger jet to fly a cargo of bottled water and relief supplies to New Orleans.

Canadian military planes have transported Canadian Red Cross and government officials to work in the disaster areas. Some 35 Canadian military divers are helping with inspecting dikes and clearing waterways. A shipment of supplies requested by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has arrived in Atlanta from Canada. Donations are pouring in from the provinces.

The Vancouver Urban Search and Rescue Team quickly got down to work in St. Bernard Parish, about 30 kilometres east of New Orleans, rescuing 119 stranded people before the U.S. military took over this week. The team has returned to Vancouver, basking in plaudits from grateful Americans.

"I was actually hugged by the president of the parish, who is similar to the mayor, when we arrived," Tim Armstrong, the team's leader, reported late last week. "We were the first relief effort that made their way there."

Bernard Etzinger, spokesman for the Canadian Embassy in Washington, said messages of thanks have been arriving via e-mail, letters and telephone at consulates across the country.

Earlier this week, U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins effusively thanked Canada as well.

"The aid pouring from all across Canada has been truly overwhelming," Wilkins said in Vancouver. "Many countries are offering help, nobody more so than Canada ... You're at the top of the list and for that we will always be very grateful."

In Los Angeles, TV news anchor Hal Fishman of KTLA Channel 5 praised Canada's assistance on Thursday night, saying "the country has embraced us and offered support on myriad levels." He said other countries have extended aid, but Canada stands above the rest in terms of the types of support and the different sectors which have offered help.

"We've actually got utility crews in from Canada," said Gov. Haley Barbour of Mississippi.

In his address Friday, Bush said: "In all, more than 100 countries have stepped forward with offers of assistance, and additional pledges of support are coming in every day."

"To every nation and every province and every local community across the globe that is standing with the American people and with those who hurt on the Gulf Coast, our entire nation thanks you for your support."

© The Canadian Press, 2005
    Well, at least I can be somewhat impressed by Canadian actions in this matter. And if Bush allowed us to come earlier we coud of been there even quicker. We are pros at this sort of thing and have helped immediately in most hurricane disasters to hit American soil. especially within the last 15 years. At least the thank you seem somewhat genuine.
    One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Who DIDNT beat the US Army?

Comment

its a well known fact that it takes ages for anything to get done in the army... utah offered two of its blackhawks the day after the hurricaine... an they stilll aint deployed...
      www.supremacyracing.com

I Honda

Comment

The disaster area is the size of the United Kingdom. There is no doubt people will concentrate on new orleans and urban areas instead of rural areas.
        Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Fuck Canada and the US army. They are both just coorporate schemes to brainwash the masses.
          IT'S KILLA SEASON BITCH!!!!!!

Comment

thank god, we live close to a non-corrupt country!!
            the last vet.before everyone got vetted
            Originally posted by MarshallArts
            Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

thanks gdillinjah, it's good to know somebody finally made it to the parish.

I think it's the same parish I posted the video about the poor man crying on tv because no one had been in to help them and that FEMA was cutting the emergency communications for and sending back fuel and water from.

My mistake it's not the same parish.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Mee...-Broussard.wmv
              Last edited by #1GROUPIEBITCH!; 09-10-2005, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Some New Orleans kids have been accepted into Canadian schools so they can continue their studies.

The University of Ottawa, where I go, has agreed to let some people take equivalent courses over here so they dont fall behind. They are also prepared to offer some sort of accomadation.

There was a story in the paper the other day of a kid who is starting grade 4 here from New Orleans, seemed really happy to be doing it.

We might not have the most powerful army in the world, but when people need help we are more than willing to give it.
                Originally posted by ethan20
                There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
                Originally posted by reservoirGod
                Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

I love canada...
                  will your army please liberate us from Bush?
                  the last vet.before everyone got vetted
                  Originally posted by MarshallArts
                  Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

I love canada...
                    will your army please liberate us from Bush?
                    have you seen our army? we can take 2 of you and thats it
                    If I can kick drugs, I can deliver a baby

Charlie RIP
                    LOST

Comment

lol.

keg, thats good news. its good that canada can help out with the resources it has.
                      Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

I can't find any news about the Canadian businessman Who rescued 250 people and put them up in his place in Florida but I saw it on the news today. (I just forget which news.

Comment

Operation American Freedom

Canadian Army liberating the American People from the conservative insurgancy.

Comment

^ LOL... I could see someone like Michael Moore making an entrance on his website like that.. hahahhaa....
                            Originally posted by ethan20
                            There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
                            Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Deborahlanker, Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Deborahlanker