X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it fair???

Prosecutors drop sex case against teacher
    She offers 'deepest apologies' to boy, 14, and his family

OCALA, Florida (CNN) -- Prosecutors here dropped charges Tuesday against a former teacher accused of having sex with a middle school student.

The teacher, Debra Lafave, offered her "deepest apologies" to the 14-year-old boy and his family.

Lafave, 25, said she is undergoing therapy for bipolar disorder and was "very remorseful" about the events that led to her arrest in June 2004. (Watch Lafave explain her actions -- 9:58)

"My greatest regret would probably be the fact that I put this young man through this," she said.

Lafave taught reading at a suburban Tampa middle school before her arrest.

The boy told investigators he had sex with Lafave three times in four days in June 2004, according to court documents. One of those times was in a car while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around, he told authorities.

He also said she performed oral sex on him multiple times, including once at her home, the documents said.

In November, Lafave pleaded guilty in Hillsborough County court to two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior. She was sentenced in that case to three years under house arrest and seven years of probation, and was required to register as a sex offender.

One of the incidents was alleged to have occurred in Marion County, so similar charges were also filed there, and Lafave's defense negotiated a similar plea agreement.

But that deal was tossed out Tuesday by Marion County Superior Court Judge Hale Stancil, and prosecutors there dropped charges when the teen balked at testifying.

"It's over -- and this time, this case is really over, and over for good," Lafave's lawyer, John Fitzgibbons, told reporters. "We can only hope now that in the next few weeks Debbie will basically fade into a footnote in everybody's memory."

In a written statement, Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway said the trial was likely to be broadcast on cable television, raising concerns about the privacy of the boy Lafave was accused of molesting. He would have been the prosecution's key witness.

"The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims of this case in order to force it to trial," Ridgway said. "I am not."

Lafave criticized the extensive media coverage her case received, accusing reporters of invading the privacy of her former student.

She said she was taking a journalism course online, adding, "God has given me a great outlet to write, and I would hope I could reach people through writing."

"I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road."
    http://edition.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/2...ped/index.html

I was watching this shit on CNN and Anderson Cooper brought up a really good point.

Would an old man have gotten off for the same charge but with a 14 year old girl?

I don't fucking think so. He'd be called a pedophile and rapist and be locked up for a long ass time...

Yet she gets off? I mean, that pic doesn't do her justice though. She's pretty good looking, and I honestly wouldn't feel bad at all if I was this 14 year old kid.

So is there equality in this aspect of the judicial system?

Shouldn't she be treated just the same as a man in this instance? Looks not withstanding...

Is it fair?

(I find her excuse bullshit btw, she just doesn't wanna go to jail.)

Like you said, if she got me when I was 14, i'd be bragging about the shit and staying for detention everyday...

Fucken eh, the charges should be dropped in this circumstance.....For 14 year old girls however, its a wayyyy different story...

For girls its abuse, for boys its a good fucking time...

Comment

^ What if the both the teacher and student were male - would you support dropping the charges then?
      "Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tricia
        ^ What if the both the teacher and student were male - would you support dropping the charges then?
        That shit would be seriously perverted...

Comment

It's not the judicial system nor the prosecution who dropped the ball here. The victim refused to testify and without his testimony there is no case. The judge had to make a decision on whether or not to force the victim to testify. The victim's mother didn't even want the case to go through because her son hasn't handled the media attention very well.

Anywya, I fully support hot teachers nailing 14 year olds boys. I just wish she would have known that I was around, horny, and willing at the time...
          Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

I saw a show on TV that compared this case to two other similar cases where the women had taken advantage of younger boys. The other two ladies received jail time but they were rather homely gals. It doesn't really seem like she got off because she wasn't a man. It's more like she got off because she is beautiful. The judge probably thought the kid was lucky. It isn't really fair but what can you do. I agree with you about the bipolar excuse being unbelievable.
            Build Big Muscles Fast

Foods That Will Kill Your Appetite

Comment

The boy and his mother did not want to testify in the case. So the judge had a choice to make, either drop the charges or force the boy to testify. I think the girl should have been prosecuted, but I’m not totally upset with the decision.

In this case, there was consent so it is not AS bad as a child molester. If a grown person molests a child against his/her will, the penalty is obviously much harsher. In this case, there was consent.

However, I think there is a clear gender biased in these cases. I feel much worse if a grown man who molests a 14 year old boy or girl. I think judges come down harder on male molesters than female ones.

I think what is much worse is what happened in Ohio and Vermont. A judge in Vermont gave a child molester 60 days. And a Judge in Ohio gave a multiple-child molester only probation. This is a much worse case, and it is sad that Democrats in those states are defending those judges. I wish this was a non-partisan issue. I don’t think liberals support what those judges did. I also don’t think liberals support the Democrats who are defending those judges.

Comment

^ Would it upset you if a 14 year old boy had "consenual"sex with a male teacher? Would you believe that the teacher involved should be sent to prison?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

^ Would it upset you if a 14 year old boy had "consenual"sex with a male teacher? Would you believe that the teacher involved should be sent to prison?
                  Does not matter. If an adult teacher molests a child, regardless of sex, they all should be treated equal. All I am saying is that they are not treated equal. Judges come down on male molesters. I don’t think it matters much if a male teacher molests a male/female student. I support a Constitutional amendment making a mandatory sentencing of 25 years for a child molester.

Comment

Originally posted by Stereo Type
                    I think the girl should have been prosecuted, but I’m not totally upset with the decision.
                    What I'm trying to understand is if the case were slightly different i.e. a "consenual" relationship between a male student and a male teacher, would you be more upset about the decision? And if so, why?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

I dont know if its really fair, but its right. You can't treat this the same as an older man molesting a young girl or boy.

Comment

^ How is it right for a teacher (i.e. a person in a position of authority) to have sex with a minor under her care? At the very least it is statuory rape, at the worst it abuse of your position of power.

Why is it not ok for a 14 year old girl to have a sexual relationship with her teacher but nobody minds a 14 year old boy having a sexual relationship with his teacher?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

because 14 year old boys are all trying to have sex with their hot teachers. With men and kids theres most likely some sort of coersion or force involved. With older women and younger boys tho, its just like a fantasy come true for the kid.

Comment

What I'm trying to understand is if the case were slightly different i.e. a "consenual" relationship between a male student and a male teacher, would you be more upset about the decision? And if so, why?
                            No, I'd feel the exact same.

Comment

Originally posted by S-DOT
                              because 14 year old boys are all trying to have sex with their hot teachers. With men and kids theres most likely some sort of coersion or force involved. With older women and younger boys tho, its just like a fantasy come true for the kid.
                              So if the relationship between a 14 year old girl and a male teacher was not coerced, you'd be happy with that?

If the relationship between a 14 year boy and a male teacher was not coerced, you'd accept that?

And what makes you think 14 year old girls don't have fantasy's about older men or male teachers?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Madeline, Today, 02:50 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post JanetteLee  
                              Started by sqhjnpo, Today, 06:36 AM