Freed US journalist 'manipulated'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freed US journalist 'manipulated'

The US journalist released after being held hostage in Iraq for three months has distanced herself from comments published straight after her release.
    Jill Carroll said she had been forced to make a "propaganda video" on her last night in captivity.

Speaking at a US base in Germany, Ms Carroll also said she did not speak freely in an Iraqi TV interview, which she was told would never be broadcast.

She called her captors "criminals, at best" saying she was often threatened.

In a statement read to the media by the editor of the Christian Science Monitor, the US newspaper she reported for before her capture, Ms Carroll said she no longer stood by remarks she made on her release.

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video.

"They told me I would be released if I co-operated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed."

'Fear of retribution'

Ms Carroll was kidnapped and her translator was killed in west Baghdad on 7 January.

She was freed on 30 March and was dropped off at the offices of the Iraqi Islamic Party.
    In her statement on Saturday she accused the group of breaking an agreement not to broadcast an interview recorded after her release.

"The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word," she said.

"At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times."

In the interview, Ms Carroll, 28, had said her captors treated her "very well" and did not hit her.

In Germany, however, the freelance reporter was much more direct.

"The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best," the statement read.

"They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends - and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release - through a horrific experience.

"I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this."

--------------------------------------------------

When I read this story yesterday it said the video was made after her release, maybe they made a mistake, who knows?

Has anyone seen this video?

I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be broadcast or aired on television, and they broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely.

Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times. Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: one, that I refused to travel and co-operate with the US military and, two, that I refused to discuss my captivity with US officials.

Again, neither statement is true.

I want to be judged as a journalist, not as a hostage. I remain as committed as ever to fairness and accuracy - to discovering the truth - and so I will not engage in polemics.

But let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes.

Oh she did make a video after her release....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4869154.stm

Comment

OK, you're once again, you're totally wrong, but I'll give ya credit, this is the first explanation as to why she was released that I've heard.

Comment

I'm not wrong so what are you talking about?

Comment

and since when do kidnappers care about their reputation enough to force a woman to go on TV and say they were nice to her?

Comment

Obviously she was being manipulated by her captors into making statements against the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoType
              Obviously she was being manipulated by her captors into making statements against the United States.
              that's what makes sense to me... a couple of days ago I heard a bunch of Right Wing Talk Radio host call her a "Terrorist lovin' traitor whore", those are the guys you agree with for the most part, right Stereo?
              the last vet.before everyone got vetted
              Originally posted by MarshallArts
              Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

what did she say agaist the Untied Sates?

were her statements against the war or the United Sates because there is a difference you know.
                Last edited by #1GROUPIEBITCH!; 04-03-2006, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reservoirGod
                  that's what makes sense to me... a couple of days ago I heard a bunch of Right Wing Talk Radio host call her a "Terrorist lovin' traitor whore", those are the guys you agree with for the most part, right Stereo?
                  Sure they weren't referring to Cindy Sheehan?
                  "Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

wow lots of typos in my post.

anyways I don't know much about this story I was just wondering why they changed the story over night and why the kidnappers would care enough about their reputation to make her say nice things about them on TV. Who were the kidnappers supposed to be anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by reservoirGod
                      She was attacking US and British forces, even though her life was saved by them. Obviously she was under pressure by her captors to make anti-American propaganda statements, which now she has totally retracted. I don’t really blame her. She just said those things to stay alive.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by vibration, Today, 12:21 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post vibration  
                      Started by vibration, Today, 12:19 AM