X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran + Uranium......Shiiiit...

Iran has enriched uranium, Ahmadinejad says
    CTV.ca News Staff

Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said his country has successfully enriched uranium, but insisted Iran does not intend to develop nuclear weapons.

"At this historic moment, with the blessings of God almighty and the efforts made by our scientists, I declare here that the laboratory-scale nuclear fuel cycle has been completed and young scientists produced enriched uranium needed to the degree for nuclear power plants Sunday," Ahmadinejad said Tuesday in the northwestern city of Mashhad.

"I formally declare that Iran has joined the club of nuclear countries," he told an audience that included top military commanders and clerics. The crowd yelled "Allahu akbar!" or "God is great!"

In a speech televised throughout Iran on Tuesday, Ahmadinejad told the West "not to cause an everlasting hatred in the hearts of Iranians" by trying to force Iran to abandon uranium enrichment.

Iran "relies on the sublime beliefs that lie within the Iranian and Islamic culture. Our nation does not get its strength from nuclear arsenals," he said.

Ahmadinejad said Iran wanted to operate its nuclear program under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency and within the rules of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The announcement comes as IAEA head Mohammed alBaradei is scheduled to visit Iran later this week.

The IAEA is to report to the UN Security Council on April 28 whether Iran has met its demand for a full halt to uranium enrichment.

If the IAEA finds Iran hasn't complied, the council must consider what to do. The U.S. and Europe want sanctions against Iran, but Russia and China -- each of whom can veto council resolutions -- are opposed to that.

U.S. reaction

The United States has accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons.

White House spokesman Scott McLellan said the announcement shows "Iran is moving in the wrong direction."

Travelling on Air Force One, McLellan told reporters that Ahmadinejad's claim further isolates Iran and underscores international concerns.

"This is a regime that needs to be building confidence with the international community," McClellan said.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton told The Associated Press that the Iranians' announcement "shows that they're not paying any attention to what the Security Council has said."

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...nuclear_060411
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

So what's everybody's thoughts on this?

Naturally people are instantly going to be polarized around radical positions....

Nuclear energy is either Iran's right to make, Israel sucks and should be destroyed, or else this shit represents a grave threat and should be attacked instantly...

What i'm worried about more than anything by this declaration made by the president, is the CONSTANT referral of religion with the whole process and product...

--Not to mention his past threats to Israel...

Uranium enrichment may be argued by some to be Iran's right to make, but this president and populace believes it to be their God given right<<<<< That's a whole other bag of marbles, a dangerous one...

What's your take?

I dont see a problem with it. I dont think that it would be in their best interest to bomb israel or anyone else with a nuke so I think it'll only be used for energy.

Comment

Fundamentalists are by nature not governed by logic...

Comment

america + guns + big ego = shiiiiit X 999999

thank god theres still north korea who isnt afraid of the US

Comment

It is their right, God given or otherwise. All country's have the right to to look for alternative energy sources.

Iran is a signatory to the NPT and has NOT broken any conditions set out therein.

One wonders why you didn't highlight this sentence:
          Ahmadinejad said Iran wanted to operate its nuclear program under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency and within the rules of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
          "Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

i dunno, i don't fucken trust Iran
            Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
            Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
            Originally posted by Syko Squidge
            ^
            fuck off you gay piece of cunt
            Originally posted by Otto
            That shit is fuck,

Comment

Sadaam wouldn't have ever allowed this.
              the last vet.before everyone got vetted
              Originally posted by MarshallArts
              Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

The United States has accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons.
                Where'd they get their intelligence this time?
                "Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile."
                - Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

^The same agency as always. Organized Jewry and their terrorist appendix Mossad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tricia
                    It is their right, God given or otherwise. All country's have the right to to look for alternative energy sources.

Iran is a signatory to the NPT and has NOT broken any conditions set out therein.

One wonders why you didn't highlight this sentence:
                    This was the same thing Kim Jong Ill said in the 1990's. That his nuclear energy was peaceful, and so on. Behind the scenes, he was trying to make the bomb. I'm afraid Iran will try to do the same thing. Why would Iran need nuclear energy? They have one of the largest supplies of crude oil on the planet.

I don’t think Iran would bomb Israel or our allies in Europe (or even us) directly. This would invite an international coalition to launch an invasion. But I think Iran could try to pass a dirty bomb to a terrorist organization, and that is a threat we cannot afford to take.

I believe we should give Iran a final ultimatum. Either they stop enriching uranium, or they receive sanctions by the United Nations. We cannot allow Iran to turn into another North Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey
                      Uranium enrichment may be argued by some to be Iran's right to make, but this president and populace believes it to be their God given right<<<<< That's a whole other bag of marbles, a dangerous one...
                      What's your take?
                      So what? Bush said God speaks through him, or god told him to stirke down on Iraq, or better yet god chose him to to lead his nation. He sounds like a fundamentalists. A dangerous one too. Two fundamentalists except one has proven to be a terroristic leader who's already killed 100,000 civilians in Iraq. Shit.

Then there's Israel. Those fucks have proven to be genocidal racist killer who themselves are hording WMDs. Have massacred Palestinians in the past, but yet it's Iran who are the rogue nation who have yet harmed any other nation outside it's country. Get the fuck out zionist.
                      This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
                      Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
                      Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
                      And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
                      - Fort Minor

Comment

Originally posted by StereoType
                        I'm afraid Iran will try to do the same thing.
                        Just because YOU are afraid - doesn't mean that Iran has any ill intentions. You can't collectively punish a country just because you disagree with them. Every country on gods green earth has the right to investigate, research and build alternative energy supplies. Iran has bent over backwards to prove to the IAEA and the rest of the world that its intentions are peaceful. The least conservative estimates are that if Iran were suddenly able to enrich uranium so that it becomes useful in weapons is two years. Most reasonable estimates put the figure at closer to 10 years. Weapons grade uranium is not vaguely similar to uranium need to provide alternative energy sources.

Why would Iran need nuclear energy? They have one of the largest supplies of crude oil on the planet.
                        This is such a stupid argument Stereo, it is beneath you. We are all facing the prospect of a world without oil. Many experts in this field have already declared that we have reached peak oil. Iran exports a vast majority of its oil in order to sustain its country. If they are going to remain both an economically viable and stable sovereign state they need to be able to sell their oil, if they intend to grow and provide for their populace they need to investigate alternative energy sources.

They have not only assured the world time and again, that they want to develop nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, but have invited the IAEA to view every step of the process. Their transparancy in this process demonstrates their intentions imo.

But I think Iran could try to pass a dirty bomb to a terrorist organization, and that is a threat we cannot afford to take.
                        Paranoid speculation with no source to support it.

I believe we should give Iran a final ultimatum. Either they stop enriching uranium, or they receive sanctions by the United Nations. We cannot allow Iran to turn into another North Korea.
                        Cool, lets do that - lets cause millions of Iranian kids to die from malnutrition, lests withhold life-saving medicine - that ought to kill off many adults thereafter we can simply invade it and the US can own and occupy Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran - a massive land mass.
                        Last edited by Tricia; 04-12-2006, 09:51 AM.
                        "Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by S-DOT
                          I dont see a problem with it. I dont think that it would be in their best interest to bomb israel or anyone else with a nuke so I think it'll only be used for energy.

People like this will get you killed. They'd love nothing more then to see the U.S. get nuked.
                          Chicago Bears = NFC champions 2006

Comment

Great discussion. Few things:

All rights are God given. That is the meaning of a right. A right is not a privilege that a man can give to another man. A right is by definition innate, inherent, aka (if you believe in a god) - god given. Anyone who is scared by this is not thinking but feeling their own subjectivity. If we said it was our god given right to have free speech, would anyone say that is a "whole other bag of marbles"??? ALL rights MUST be god given, why the fear in this case?

Next, there is no option for a UN resolution. That cannot happen. Iran has strong allies in China and and a pretty decent ally in Russia (who is SUPPLYING their nuclear materials, for god's sake). How can the US get a UN resolution when both China and Russia have veto power if I'm not mistaken?? Neither China nor Russia are going to allow a resolution against Iran! Remember that we're in this part of the world, so we can easily get our point of view mixed up with the worlds, due to the shallowness of media coverage, but think about it? What makes us believe that our fears are as threatening to others? Surely Russia and China are laughing at the US now, no?

Socrates already pointed out that our leaders talk through god or god talks through them at least as badly as the Iranian leaders. Starting a war because god told you to might be the worst instance of this in post-industrialized society. Iran has some catching up to do before they reach the US in relgious fanaticism attached to their leader!

And Tricia pointed out that our fears are exactly that, fears. They are not based on logic or accurate reading of fact. It is based on a filter in the human brain. To make political and national decisions based on fears is stupid and childish. All the points of view that stand out of line with facts and respectful relations are better off dealt with on a leather couch with a therapist than in politics! So what if we have fears?

My daughter used to jump when she saw soap bubbles. That didn't give us the right to go to the soap company and demand they stop making sudsy soap! Think about it for a second. How can you guys seriously think "I don't trust them" and "people like that are killers" and "North Korea lied so we trample Iran's NATURAL RIGHTS" are reasonable POLITICAL arguments???? Is this at all civilized international relations?

The ONLY question here is do we have any RIGHT WHATSOEVER to decide if Iraq can pursue their goals? Are we to decide? There is a legal and political answer, and they're both NO. We've allowed our manipulated "feelings" to start a war in Iraq that is unwinnable. Are we stupid enough to aggrivate dormant nations into even MORE terrorist hotbeds? If we COULD put sanctions on Iraq (which we can't) how could that HELP us, if the whole idea is they bear us ill will and have secret plans to harm us, don't you think starving their children could only SPEED UP their plans and INTENSIFY their dedication?

Why don't we THINK this through, or are we always going to react like cavepeople who must follow their gut? This is politics, not the lottery. Our gut doesn't matter in the least.

Peace
                            Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
                            Would you let the system
                            make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

And by the way the unfounded fear of them passing a nuke to a terrorist is silly considering that if their intention is to start the last and most tragic war, they don't need a nuclear bomb to do it. Biological weapons can be had on the cheap, and some of them can destroy a city in a few days, so they wouldn't need to pursue nuclear power to support terrorists. All they'd need is to buy biological weapons.

Also, how easy is it, and how long would it take to create a nuclear device that is small and portable enough to pass to a terrorist??? I don't think this is something that would happen in the forseeable future if it did at all. IF they made a weapon, it would almost certainly be in the form of a bomb that is launched. And with our spy networks, we'd know a long time ahead. And if they did make a bomb, what do you think they'd do??? Bomb israel??? Really think this out.....what is the threat? Who will they bomb? If they bomb Israel, they'd be bombed back by the US and Israel, so it would effectively be the end of their nation.

They stand MUCH better chances at guerilla warfare which is confining soldiers to bases in Iraq like rabbits in a warren. THAT is effective. Nuclear war is such a stupid move for Iran that we'd have to be under the sway of propaganda to believe that they are stupid enough to forsake a guerilla war that they WOULD win (like Vietnam, Iraq - especially now that the US has a deficit of available soldiers due to the hellhole that Iraq has become), and go to a nuclear war, which they could ONLY lose!

Think about it!

Peace
                              Would you let the system sit (shit) down on your head again? NO, DREAD, NO.
                              Would you let the system
                              make you kill your brother man? NO, DREAD, NO

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 12:27 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker