Generals call for Rumsfeld to resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generals call for Rumsfeld to resign

We all know Rumsfeld has failed in his position. No matter what anyone says, the Iraq war is going worse than people expected and we know Rumsfeld is a moron who didnt put enough troops on the ground. We also know Bush is a lameduck failure leader that never shows any signs of leadership or accountability, and tells failures they do a "heckuvajob". Here, he claims that the States needs Rumsfeld's leadership. lmao.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1498785.shtml
    President Bush brushed aside an intensifying clamor among retired military commanders for Donald H. Rumsfeld's resignation, saying Friday that his defense secretary enjoys his full support.

"Secretary Rumsfeld's energetic and steady leadership is exactly what is needed at this critical period," Mr. Bush said in a written statement that followed continuing efforts by a group of retired generals to oust Rumsfeld from the Pentagon.

"He went to war with a flawed plan. He didn't account for the hard work to build the peace after we took down the regime," retired Army Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who served as an infantry division commander in Iraq for 2½ years until last November, said on CBS News' The Early Show.

"We also served under a secretary of defense who didn't understand leadership, who was abusive, who was arrogant, who didn't build a strong team," Batiste added.

Batiste is one of six former commanders who served under Rumsfeld who now say he should be dismissed. The defense secretary has become a lightning rod for criticism of the way the war in Iraq has been run, reports CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante.

In an interview aired Friday on Al-Arabiya television, Rumsfeld said he intends to serve the president at his pleasure.

"The fact that two or three or four retired people have different views, I respect their views," Rumsfeld said. "But obviously if, out of thousands and thousands of admirals and generals, if every time two or three people disagreed we changed the secretary of defense of the United States, it would be like a merry-go-round."

Major Gens. Charles Swannack and John Riggs, both retired from the Army, were the latest to call for Rumsfeld's resignation. Retired Marine Gen. Gregory Newbold called in Time magazine for "replacing Rumsfeld and many others unwilling to fundamentally change their approach." Last month, Army Major Gen. Paul Eaton wrote in The New York Times that Rumsfeld is "incompetent strategically, operationally and tactically."

Other calls for Rumsfeld's replacement have come from Batiste and retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni.

Riggs told National Public Radio that Rumsfeld fostered an "atmosphere of arrogance." Swannack told CNN that Rumsfeld micromanaged the war. "We need a new secretary of defense," he said.

"I know all these guys, and they are very apolitical people. I think they have no particular aspirations that they're trying to achieve by now criticizing the Secretary," says CBS News military analyst Jeff McCausland, a retired Army colonel.

"I have seen firsthand how Don relies upon our military commanders in the field and at the Pentagon to make decisions about how best to complete these missions," Mr. Bush said in the statement, issued while he was spending the Easter weekend at Camp David, the presidential retreat in Maryland's Catoctin Mountains.

Rumsfeld also has said he relied on what his commanders in the field told him.

"I think the secretary's comments are disingenuous," Batiste told Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith. "I think he built that plan the way he wanted to, without regard to the Centcom work for ten years to build a deliberate plan."

Gen. Eric Shinseki, then the Army chief of staff, told Congress a month before the 2003 invasion of Iraq that occupying the country could require "several hundred thousand troops," rather than the smaller force that was later provided.

"And we all remember what happened to him," said Batiste. "He was retired early, and the Secretary of Defense did not go to his retirement ceremony."

Military experts say the parade of recently retired military brass calling for Rumsfeld's resignation is troubling and threatens to undermine the strong support Mr. Bush has enjoyed among the officer corps and troops.

With public anti-war sentiment increasing, "the president and his team cannot afford to lose that support," said Kurt Campbell, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense.

Yet for President Bush to try to distance himself from Rumsfeld "would call into question everything about the last three years' strategy in ways the White House worries would send a very negative message," said Campbell, now with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

President Bush's dilemma, said Michael O'Hanlon, a military analyst with the Brookings Institution, is that the president "shares a lot of the responsibility for the key decisions on Iraq."

"Bush is implicated. For Bush to fire Rumsfeld is for Bush to declare himself a failure as president. Iraq is the main issue of his presidency," said O'Hanlon, who supported Bush's decision to invade Iraq and said he still supports the war.
    Originally posted by ethan20
    There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.
    Originally posted by reservoirGod
    Ethan sure does know alot about dicks

What do generals know about fighting a war?

Comment

There are approximately 5000 retired military generals in the United States. The fact that a fraction of one percent of them are calling for his recognition means nothing to me.

I'm not an expert in military intelligence, so I don't know what mistakes were made in the Iraq War. However, from the comments made by General Franks and others, it seems that Bush listened to them when planning for the Iraq invasion.

Comment

I support the troops, but I don't support the civillian "leadership".
        the last vet.before everyone got vetted
        Originally posted by MarshallArts
        Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

I support the troops, but I don't support the civillian "leadership".
          Hey, thats better than most of the "left" on this board who call for our troops to be killed in Iraq.

Comment

You support the troops, right stereo? Didn't piss you off when SOS Rice said "there have been thousands of tatical mistakes made" when she should have said "there have been thousands of policy and stratigic mistakes made"?
            Who's got you quoted in their sigs? Are they as equally worthy as those that have sigged me? I just can't imagine it.

Comment

You support the troops, right stereo? Didn't piss you off when SOS Rice said "there have been thousands of tatical mistakes made" when she should have said "there have been thousands of policy and stratigic mistakes made"?
              lol, I dont remember the quote. Tactical and strategic could mean the same thing.

Comment

It's about fucking time. My only question is how many people from Bush's circle is gonna take a fall before people realize this is actually all Bush's fault on every level? And pull that fucker from office.
                One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

^ Never going to happen.
                  "Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

The Neo-cons prove everyday, you can hate the troops, and still support the war.

Comment

"neo-con" and "zionist" are meaningless labels that have no basis in reality.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                      I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

Comment

/\ Does Paul Wolfawitz and Bill Kristol know about this?

Comment

You guys are idiots. These Generals are not merely one of thousands, THEY SERVED IN IRAQ. And how do you expect Generals currently employed to also voice their criticism? They cant, they are still working for the President and by extension Rumsfeld.
                          There's a correlation between cervixal cancer in women and un-circumsized penises. Not to mention it almost cuts your bacteria count on the penis in half.

Comment

Nazi, no one cares what you have to say.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by kEgBeGgEr
                            I don't have a problem with gays, in fact I wouldn't mind sharing a room with one

Comment

^^ Shut the fuck up and put on your SS avatar. Your the official laughing stock around here after you revealed how deep Bri's scrotum is down your throat after you made your dedication thread too him, hombre.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 08-26-2020, 01:33 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post kenelty