Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Ireland

Wassup ppl...

i know some ppl dont know about the situation, and the majority that do dont care, but i thought id bring it up because its what ive grown up around

mostly i guess this is directed to franc34 bcoz ive seen him mention it and it seems hes on the other side of the argument to me so itd be cool to have a debate about it (no hate)

i mean personally ive grown up as a part of the UK, to me northern ireland has always been that - northern ireland. its its own country. its always kinda got to me when people call it "ireland" and dont realise theres 2 seperate countries (republic and northern); not even because im for stayin part of the UK, but because - thats what it is. it is nothern ireland.

things are gettin better of course, less violence, but less negotiation. the DUP are stuck hard on not talkin, and the IRA "claim" to have decommishoned but thats is skeptical at the moment.

im not for fighting, im much more into debating and a war of words. i know thats not how a lot of people go, but thats me. i dont support any terrorist groups in my country, but at the same time people dont understand them. those people are real people, and a lot of them are really cool people just fighting for what they believe in which in part i respect. i dno...

any views on this?
    GROWN MAN SH!T AND SQUIDBERT FOR VET
    They're bringing sexy back
    *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡ *̡͌l̡*

are you from england ? if you are it's obvious that you won't agree with the IRA, but tell me; what good reason did england have to take northern ireland away ?

how would you like if Ireland came and took a chunk of England of the map and claimed its Irish land ? you wouldn't want that now would you ?
    Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
    Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
    Originally posted by Syko Squidge
    ^
    fuck off you gay piece of cunt
    Originally posted by Otto
    That shit is fuck,

Comment

The situation is tough and it sucks to see religous differences between such similiar people causing so much violence. Personally I would love for Ireland itself to be a part of the UK. You got talk of Scotland breaking free from Britain and you got Ireland cut in half, but why? For what? Artificial differences? I think they should reach for a loose union with each unit representing a different country within (i.e. england, scotland, wales, ireland, northern ireland).

Of course it's rare for countries to combine like that these days, but it would make a world of difference and it would further increase their power as a nation and as a share of the EU.
      Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

The Irish were considered subhuman for so much of their history by the English. The English stole land, enslaved the Irish, induced a horrific man-made famine... and now the English believe it's right to be united with Ireland?

All I can say is, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Bokk
          The Irish were considered subhuman for so much of their history by the English. The English stole land, enslaved the Irish, induced a horrific man-made famine... and now the English believe it's right to be united with Ireland?
          That was my idea. It is northern ireland that wishes to stay a part of the UK. England is not enforcing it and wouldn't fight a war over it. It has been willing to make concessions or let it go, but Northern Ireland is pretty loyal to England. Obviously England would prefer to keep it i'm sure...

Also, Britain treated many countries like that from around the world. There is no chance of that happening anymore. The countries are similiar in culture and economy and could benefit from a union. That's obviously my opinion and I know most Irish would not agree with it. That's fine. I would just prefer bigger countries. Ireland is quite insignificant in the European Union while Britain is the exact opposite. However, both countries have lost a lot of importance in the world. Britain has gone from world heavyweight to a mere European heavyweight. With the emergence of China and India, Europe needs to work together to retain power and influence. The European Union is a start. But I would prefer if these two countries combined and worked together. Their influence and power in the EU would increase. It would work out for both countries.

By the way I am "Irish-American" and very Pro-Ireland. But I also appreciate, envy, and admire the UK. I think this scenario could benefit both countries. I know this is largely.. a dream... and not likely to happen.
          Last edited by TheWalrus; 04-24-2006, 10:19 PM.

Comment

if northern ireland wishes to remain part of the UK then why were they fighting retarted war for all these years ?
            ^
            That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by TheWalrus
              That was my idea. It is northern ireland that wishes to stay a part of the UK. England is not enforcing it and wouldn't fight a war over it. It has been willing to make concessions or let it go, but Northern Ireland is pretty loyal to England. Obviously England would prefer to keep it i'm sure...
              Also, Britain treated many countries like that from around the world. There is no chance of that happening anymore. The countries are similiar in culture and economy and could benefit from a union. That's obviously my opinion and I know most Irish would not agree with it. That's fine. I would just prefer bigger countries. Ireland is quite insignificant in the European Union while Britain is the exact opposite. However, both countries have lost a lot of importance in the world. Britain has gone from world heavyweight to a mere European heavyweight. With the emergence of China and India, Europe needs to work together to retain power and influence. The European Union is a start. But I would prefer if these two countries combined and worked together. Their influence and power in the EU would increase. It would work out for both countries.
              By the way I am "Irish-American" and very Pro-Ireland. But I also appreciate, envy, and admire the UK. I think this scenario could benefit both countries. I know this is largely.. a dream... and not likely to happen.
              I cannot even begin to argue what is wrong with everything you just said..... wow, Im in shock.

First off, you say you are 'Irish - American'... have u ever lived here? Have your parents lived here? Just want to establish if u have an immediate connection with the country or is it going back a few generations.

Secondly, there is no way you can be 'pro-Ireland' if you are of the opinion that Ireland should be united with England or the UK in any way. Our country was completly oppressed, we were raped, murdered and starved by English landlords. 1 million people died because of the man-made Irish famine and another 1 million emigrated to the United States.

got Ireland cut in half, but why? For what? Artificial differences?
              Artificial differences?????????? There is so much history to Northern Ireland that I'm sure you dont even know about. Its not just the religious war it is today, it goes back a lot further than that... do you know about 'The Pale' which is now the Dublin area of the country? Have you ever heard of 'Home Rule'? The 1970's Hunger Strikes? What about the 'Penal Laws'?.......

The Catholic Church forbidden to keep church registers.
              The Irish Catholic was forbidden the exercise of his religion.
              He was forbidden to receive education.
              He was forbidden to enter a profession.
              He was forbidden to hold public office.
              He was forbidden to engage in trade or commerce.
              He was forbidden to live in a corporate town or within five miles thereof.
              He was forbidden to own a horse of greater value than five pounds.
              He was forbidden to own land.
              He was forbidden to lease land.
              He was forbidden to accept a mortgage on land in security for a loan.
              He was forbidden to vote.
              He was forbidden to keep any arms for his protection.
              He was forbidden to hold a life annuity.
              He was forbidden to buy land from a Protestant.
              He was forbidden to receive a gift of land from a Protestant.
              He was forbidden to inherit land from a Protestant.
              He was forbidden to inherit anything from a Protestant.
              He was forbidden to rent any land that was worth more than 30 shillings a year.
              He was forbidden to reap from his land any profit exceeding a third of the rent.
              He could not be guardian to a child.
              He could not, when dying, leave his infant children under Catholic guardianship.
              He could not attend Catholic worship.
              He was compelled by law to attend Protestant worship.
              He could not himself educate his child.
              He could not send his child to a Catholic teacher.
              He could not employ a Catholic teacher to come to his child.
              He could not send his child abroad to receive education.

In Our Own Country??????^^^^^ It was forbidden to teach the Irish language and Irish people were forced to speak the language of the englishman.

I could continue further but there's no point. In todays argument, I don't agree with the IRA, I can't stand Gerry Adams... and Im a catholic. All the Irish people want is for this to end. Whether the country is brought back under Irish rule or not, people just want an end to this killing that is happening every day and has been for so long. I dont think in my lifetime anyway there will be an end to it.

BTW - Omega88, are you catholic or protestant? - if you dont mind me asking
              Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Comment

Originally posted by LadyOfWhite
                BTW - Omega88, are you catholic or protestant? - if you dont mind me asking
                i bet he's protestant, he wouldn't be saying it belongs to england if he was catholic
                ^
                That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by franc34
                  i bet he's protestant, he wouldn't be saying it belongs to england if he was catholic
                  Well I didnt want to assume....

Comment

^ and why don't u support IRA, are you northern irish ?
                    ^
                    That shit is fuck,

Comment

I support the IRA, the revolutionary legacy of James Connolly, and hatred against the Engli$h imperialists.
                      Last edited by | K Y L E |; 04-25-2006, 06:30 AM.

Comment

word
                        ^
                        That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by LadyOfWhite
                          I cannot even begin to argue what is wrong with everything you just said..... wow, Im in shock.
                          Like I said: it was all my opinion

First off, you say you are 'Irish - American'... have u ever lived here? Have your parents lived here? Just want to establish if u have an immediate connection with the country or is it going back a few generations.
                          I have only visited. I put Irish-American in quotes because I know Irish people hate it when Americans say they are "Irish" without being born there. You'd have to go back to one of my grandparents to establish someone who was born there. My parents and his siblings were born here, yet my Aunt (Dad's sister) now has dual citizenship and a home in county Longford - our "historic home", and we have held a few reunions there. But no, I obviously do not live there or have any strong ties. I do, however, maintain interest in its affairs.

Secondly, there is no way you can be 'pro-Ireland' if you are of the opinion that Ireland should be united with England or the UK in any way. Our country was completly oppressed, we were raped, murdered and starved by English landlords. 1 million people died because of the man-made Irish famine and another 1 million emigrated to the United States.
                          Like I said: that shit is in the past. Who would have thought in 1950, only a few YEARS after world war two, that France and Germany would unite as part of the European coal and steel community, which later became the Europen Union?

You are talking about two countries who fought bitter wars (world war one and world war two) in the last 30 years. You are talking about one country taking over another. Yeah, the Germans were fucking pigs to the entire continent - doing WORSE SHIT then the English ever did to Ireland - yet places like Poland, who lost millions of citizens to Hitler's furnance - immediately joined up in the European Union which has tradditionally been run by the Franco-German engine.

Artificial differences?????????? There is so much history to Northern Ireland that I'm sure you dont even know about. Its not just the religious war it is today, it goes back a lot further than that...
                          And that's what it is: HISTORY

What is their main difference other then religion? Their accent? Who they root for in soccer tournaments? Give me a break. What is so different about these cultures? Sure, name a few, then look at France and Germany and tell me they aren't one hundred times more different with a straight face. You cant do it!

I dont think you read my post very well and it's a shame. I never said England should incorporate Ireland as in "rule it". I said the various countries should form a loose union together that makes up all five countries (wales, scotland, england, northern ireland, ireland). This way they could integrate at their own pace. They could have more power in the UN. It would de-facto FORCE more peace together because now they are PARTNERS instead of traditional FOES.

By the way.. I am both Irish.. and Catholic.. but yes, American first and foremost. I haven't lived through what you or your family has so its much easier for me to voice my opinion on what could happen then it is for you to tell me what should happen. Unfortunately a time needs to come when one forgets about the past. Ireland and the UK are no longer enemies and they're ties have only grown stronger and will only continue to grow stronger. Ireland is so small that it could benefit from an economic union (not a political one!) and it would benefit both nations individually.

Comment

Originally posted by franc34
                            ^ and why don't u support IRA, are you northern irish ?
                            I'm catholic and from the Republic. I dont support the IRA because most of what they are doing is wrong too. They're involved in a lot of the murder too and it needs to stop on both parts not just on the English side.

Ní neart go cur le chéile - No strength without Unity

Comment

Like I said: it was all my opinion
                              I have only visited. I put Irish-American in quotes because I know Irish people hate it when Americans say they are "Irish" without being born there. You'd have to go back to one of my grandparents to establish someone who was born there. My parents and his siblings were born here, yet my Aunt (Dad's sister) now has dual citizenship and a home in county Longford - our "historic home", and we have held a few reunions there. But no, I obviously do not live there or have any strong ties. I do, however, maintain interest in its affairs.
                              Like I said: that shit is in the past. Who would have thought in 1950, only a few YEARS after world war two, that France and Germany would unite as part of the European coal and steel community, which later became the Europen Union?
                              You are talking about two countries who fought bitter wars (world war one and world war two) in the last 30 years. You are talking about one country taking over another. Yeah, the Germans were fucking pigs to the entire continent - doing WORSE SHIT then the English ever did to Ireland - yet places like Poland, who lost millions of citizens to Hitler's furnance - immediately joined up in the European Union which has tradditionally been run by the Franco-German engine.
                              And that's what it is: HISTORY
                              What is their main difference other then religion? Their accent? Who they root for in soccer tournaments? Give me a break. What is so different about these cultures? Sure, name a few, then look at France and Germany and tell me they aren't one hundred times more different with a straight face. You cant do it!
                              I dont think you read my post very well and it's a shame. I never said England should incorporate Ireland as in "rule it". I said the various countries should form a loose union together that makes up all five countries (wales, scotland, england, northern ireland, ireland). This way they could integrate at their own pace. They could have more power in the UN. It would de-facto FORCE more peace together because now they are PARTNERS instead of traditional FOES.
                              By the way.. I am both Irish.. and Catholic.. but yes, American first and foremost. I haven't lived through what you or your family has so its much easier for me to voice my opinion on what could happen then it is for you to tell me what should happen. Unfortunately a time needs to come when one forgets about the past. Ireland and the UK are no longer enemies and they're ties have only grown stronger and will only continue to grow stronger. Ireland is so small that it could benefit from an economic union (not a political one!) and it would benefit both nations individually.
                              U don't get it... sorry....I dont have time to explain either.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by vibration, Today, 12:21 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post vibration