No announcement yet.

What if Iraq Rejects the Defence Pact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Iraq Rejects the Defence Pact?

So the UN mandate ends in July and unless the United States and Iraq agree on a Defense Pact, then the US really doesn't have any legitimacy to be there. Although the US has stated that it doesn't need to abide by the mandate, our military can't occupy Iraq on its own. I doubt other countries will be so willing to have troops in Iraq if neither the UN nor the Iraqis want them there. It seems like the fighting in Iraq has died down, but that's likely due to reduced military operations (ie election year) and Sadr's army being extremely patient with the United States and the Iraqi government's unwarranted acts of aggression. The US has also stated that Al-Qaeda is becoming weaker and, lets be honest, they haven't really made any headlines in Iraq and their calls against Israel was more or less meaningless and likely just a gesture to obtain support.

The rejection of the pact would make it hard for the US to justify its presence in Iraq and it would give the US a decent excuse to leave the mess they created. This wouldn't result in any kind of regional peace because the troops would just be moved elsewhere, but it will definitely change the course of this election.

Anyone else have thoughts on whether or not the Defense Pace's rejection is a possibility and what it would mean for the US?
    Last edited by D_Bokk; 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: editted the title

Bump. Seems more relevant now.
    Iraq demands US withdrawal timeline

The US must provide a "clear timeline" to withdraw its troops from Iraq as part of an agreement allowing them to operate in Iraq beyond this year, Hoshiyar Zebari, Iraq's foreign minister, has said.

His comments on Sunday are the strongest public assertion yet that Iraq is demanding a timeline for US withdrawal.

The Reuters news agency quoted Zebari saying an agreement, including the timeline, was "very close" and would probably be presented to the Iraqi parliament in early September.

George Bush, the US president, has long resisted setting a timeline for withdrawal, but in July the White House began speaking of a general "time horizon" and "aspirational goals" to withdraw.

Iraq's leaders have become more confident of their ability to provide security as the country has become safer, but Zebari's comments came as fighting and bomb attacks across Iraq killed at least 11 people, including a US soldier.

Roadside bombings

The US soldier and four other people were killed in an attack involving a roadside bomb, a suicide bomber and small arms fire in Tarmiya, 25km north of Baghdad, the US military said.

It said two US soldiers, three Iraqi policemen and 18 other people were also wounded in the fighting.

In another attack, a suicide attacker blew up a bomb-laden minibus, killing at least three people and wounding 20 others in the town of Khanaqin, a security source said.

In Baghdad, two separate roadside bomb attacks killed at least six people, including one Iraqi soldier, and wounded at least 17 others.

Another roadside bombing targeting a private security company wounded at least four people.

Despite the violence, Iraq has taken an increasingly assertive stance in negotiations with the US after Nuri al-Maliki, the prime minister, ordered cracked downs on fighters earlier in the year.

But US military commanders say they worry that a hasty withdrawal could allow violence to resume.

Iraqi politics have also been paralysed by a dispute over the northern city of Kirkuk, which Kurds claim as the capital of their autonomous homeland.

The issues threatens to stoke ethnic tensions between the city's Kurds, Arabs and ethnic Turkmen.

The quarrel scuppered a law needed to allow provincial elections across the country, despite intensive lobbying by the US and UN to reach a deal.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...912864397.html

What does Obama represent? He dropped all his more radical viewpoints after the nomination and the only thing he had left was the Iraq war. And now withdrawal seems imminent regardless of who is elected. He's now the exact same as the rest of the trash that was the Democratic presidential hopefuls.

Comment

maybe Obama is making himself less 'radical' just until he wins the election. but i dont think Obama had much radical views to begin with
      Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
      Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
      Originally posted by Syko Squidge
      ^
      fuck off you gay piece of cunt
      Originally posted by Otto
      That shit is fuck,

Comment

obamas gonna open popeyes franchise in iraq and everyone will be happy
        Originally posted by Tanner
        at least youre not hungover and have to sneak out a fat 30 yr old white bitch who you were banging in your parents house last night.

Comment

Originally posted by franc34 View Post
          maybe Obama is making himself less 'radical' just until he wins the election. but i dont think Obama had much radical views to begin with
          It seems like people say that for every Democrat though and I don't like hoping that the next president of the USA is lying to me, it just seems irrational.

I liked his early positions on Cuba, but he quickly switched to win over the Cuban-"exile" vote. He also was highly critical of NAFTA during his campaign, but once he had to actually talk to the Canadians about it, he pussed out. As far as the continent of America went, he was my favorite candidate... at least before he started to pander to special interest groups. But you're right, he wasn't very radical, he just had a few points that I agreed with, which I rarely see in a presidential candidate.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 12:39 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Deborahlanker  
          Started by basketballeven, Today, 10:36 AM
          0 responses