HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I gave up my car, partially as common sense but partially as a political statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gave up my car, partially as common sense but partially as a political statement

Anyone else do this or thought of doing this?

I am a student, living right off of Ohio State University. My mom gave me her old car but I gave it back to her when I moved up here this summer. I've been riding my bike everywhere and honestly, I love it. Since I live in the city I really don't usually have far to go, so it works out well. I take the bus downtown to the office and the bus runs every 15-20 minutes. I recently got a new state ID and didn't get a drivers license; just the state ID. The woman at the desk looked at me like I was crazy and said "you're willing to give up your DRIVING privelages?" I said if you want to call paying: 4 dollar gas, insurance, possible car payment, license fees, meters/garages, maintenace/repairs, and for me, a high number of speeding/parking tickets each year, then yeah, I'm giving up my PRIVELAGE. Not only is giving up your car a good financial decision as a student but it's great exercise. The only real inconvenience I've encountered was grocery shopping but my friends know that if they drive me there occasionally, I'll pay them for their troubles. Hell, if you live in the city, paying for cab rides 3-4 times a week can be a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a car.

I understand some people really do need to be at a lot of places, fast, but for people like me, it works out great. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

I haven't had a car for the past three years and I love it.
    @yeldarb367

Comment

Not possible or convenient for me where I work and go to school, plus I my car. Have put a lot of hard work and time into it. Do all the maintenance myself.
      Steelers|KU Jayhawks|USC

Comment

i love my cars. i could never give them up... if i did, it would only be trading in for a better model.
        www.supremacyracing.com

I Honda

Comment

Im a student.
          I live within 10 mins walk from campus.
          I walk to work (40 mins), and jog home.
          It's all gd.

Comment

im far away from everything, i need a car to go to places. And i have to fill my car up every single week. It's not that i feel bad for oil companies and want to give my money to them but theres nothing i can do about it. Complaining isn't going to get me anywhere.

Plus, if you plan on fucking a bitch you can't tell her "come on lets catch a bus to my place" or make her hop on your bike and head out for a club. she'll think you're a broke ass crackhead
            Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
            Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
            Originally posted by Syko Squidge
            ^
            fuck off you gay piece of cunt
            Originally posted by Otto
            That shit is fuck,

Comment

lol true
              "Step into my dojo, mofo..."

Comment

It's a smart choice for anybody living in the city. It's common sense. It just sucks when it's cold, raining, snowing, or you need to be somewhere immediately.

I've been thinking of moving to NYC in a year or two for a vertical movement in my career. I would LOVE having no car. I much prefer to walk or bike. Luckily in NYC there is always a subway or taxi around...
                Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Originally posted by franc34 View Post
                  im far away from everything, i need a car to go to places. And i have to fill my car up every single week. It's not that i feel bad for oil companies and want to give my money to them but theres nothing i can do about it. Complaining isn't going to get me anywhere.
                  Plus, if you plan on fucking a bitch you can't tell her "come on lets catch a bus to my place" or make her hop on your bike and head out for a club. she'll think you're a broke ass crackhead
                  Like I said, you have many options, you could take a bus or train (if your city has one), you could rent a car for about 25 bucks a day, take a cab, or offer to pay her for driving. If you're in college or just going to a neighborhood bar, chances are, she lives only a few blocks away. Look at it this way: you fill your car up every week; you probably spend 60-70 bucks per week, meaning 240 a month. Lets say you spend 300 a month on a car payment. You are spending at least 540 a month just to drive! That doesn't even include insurance. You could have plenty of money left over to impress her with fine dining, free drinks at the bar, or your new ikea furniture in your bedroom when you bring her back.
                  Like I said, many people love their cars, or need to go to far away places fast; I know that lifestyle doesn't work for everyone, but I do think more people would enjoy it and don't even realize it.

One thing I really liked about driving was listening to music but I just take my ipod everywhere.
                  Last edited by XDavidX; 07-13-2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

you live in America. even though it's a big place, it can be easy to live without a car. Europe is even easier. I'm in Australia right now and i'd have to walk for ages to even get to the bus stop, walking to the train station will take me a nice couple of hours. i guess i could ride a bike or rent a car or call a taxi instead of paying 80 bucks a week to fill my car up, but i don't see the point since i can afford keeping a car even though its getting expensive. besides, its just quicker and easier. In some places you just need a car. But when i lived in Europe i never used a car unless we were going to another city or something. I didn't even use a bus or anything i just walked everywhere
                    Originally posted by FunkySuicideGirl
                    Ima sucker when some suck my lip or bite in it
                    Originally posted by Syko Squidge
                    ^
                    fuck off you gay piece of cunt
                    Originally posted by Otto
                    That shit is fuck,

Comment

Originally posted by XDavidX View Post
                      I am a student, living right off of Ohio State University. My mom gave me her old car but I gave it back to her when I moved up here this summer. I've been riding my bike everywhere and honestly, I love it. Since I live in the city I really don't usually have far to go, so it works out well. I take the bus downtown to the office and the bus runs every 15-20 minutes. I recently got a new state ID and didn't get a drivers license; just the state ID. The woman at the desk looked at me like I was crazy and said "you're willing to give up your DRIVING privelages?" I said if you want to call paying: 4 dollar gas, insurance, possible car payment, license fees, meters/garages, maintenace/repairs, and for me, a high number of speeding/parking tickets each year, then yeah, I'm giving up my PRIVELAGE. Not only is giving up your car a good financial decision as a student but it's great exercise. The only real inconvenience I've encountered was grocery shopping but my friends know that if they drive me there occasionally, I'll pay them for their troubles. Hell, if you live in the city, paying for cab rides 3-4 times a week can be a hell of a lot cheaper than owning a car.
                      I understand some people really do need to be at a lot of places, fast, but for people like me, it works out great. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

i've been going to OState for 5 years now and my dumbass didnt realize that I could ride the COTA (the city's bus system) FOR FREE until just recently. Actually we pay it as part of the tuition. I feel you on these points. I've been riding the COTA every chance I get. tomorrow morning im taking some new routes just to get the feel of it. I used to fill up once a week now its once every two weeks. so my gasoline bill is cut in half which helps my penny tight budget. I love riding the COTA. but sometimes the bus drivers and the people act surprised to see a black kid going to OState who actually lives in Columbus. the only downside is that I work near Polaris which is the big mall for the uppity types and they don't want a city bus going there every 10 mins cuz they apparently dont us negras in their parts. so it only comes twice a day. so unfortunately i gotta haul my gasoline swallowing bitch when i go to work which puts the biggest dent in my gasoline bill. a few years ago i saw myself throwing a kicker in the trunk, tinting the windows, and putting on a new grill on my car. now i just look at this bitch like a total liability. i hate my car!!
                      Last edited by NyTe^CRaWLeR; 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM.

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

Comment

Originally posted by XDavidX View Post
                        Amen brother... there's a time in a man's life where he just has to let the car go and drop those excessive spendings

Not to mention a zipcar when in need, ha
                        I scare the shit out of myself everyday -- I am a snowboarder.

Comment

I don't think there is any public transportation anywhere close to the burbs my parents live in. Simply impossible
                          Steelers|KU Jayhawks|USC

Comment

Where I live a taxi would cost more a single trip than it costs me each week to fill up, the idea would be nice but unfortunately I require my car for my situation..
                            Nothing is true, everything is permitted

Comment

Originally posted by NyTe^CRaWLeR View Post
                              i've been going to OState for 5 years now and my dumbass didnt realize that I could ride the COTA (the city's bus system) FOR FREE until just recently. Actually we pay it as part of the tuition. I feel you on these points. I've been riding the COTA every chance I get. tomorrow morning im taking some new routes just to get the feel of it. I used to fill up once a week now its once every two weeks. so my gasoline bill is cut in half which helps my penny tight budget. I love riding the COTA. but sometimes the bus drivers and the people act surprised to see a black kid going to OState who actually lives in Columbus. the only downside is that I work near Polaris which is the big mall for the uppity types and they don't want a city bus going there every 10 mins cuz they apparently dont us negras in their parts. so it only comes twice a day. so unfortunately i gotta haul my gasoline swallowing bitch when i go to work which puts the biggest dent in my gasoline bill. a few years ago i saw myself throwing a kicker in the trunk, tinting the windows, and putting on a new grill on my car. now i just look at this bitch like a total liability. i hate my car!!
                              lol. I live like 2 minutes from Polaris and I know exactly what you mean. I would love to give up my car, but it's just not possible.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 01:17 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by gbnttorfda, Today, 01:12 AM
                              0 responses