• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google to stop censoring Google.cn

Couldn't be more supportive of Google with this move:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...-to-china.html

Originally posted by Google press release 01/12/2010
    We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.
    China does not want to be isolated. It does want to be a part of the global world - economically - while maintaining old school political suppression of its people. It's sheer size and importance makes a lot of companies alter their business plans and principles to do business there.

Google is making a good choice by ending the agreed censorship of Google.cn. Especially considering the fact that China is attempting to read the e-mails of its citizens for the purpose of arresting and jailing them.
    Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Originally posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Especially considering the fact that China is attempting to read the e-mails of its citizens for the purpose of arresting and jailing them.
    Sounds familiar, I wonder where they got that idea.

It wouldn't be hard to make everyone on the Internet anonymous and encrypt all they data they sent, all it takes is cooperation from the ISPs. Although that would mean all governments around the world can't snoop around, so instead they give the ISPs immunity after the ISP let the US government spy on us.

Comment

Of course when I was in china last summer, i did try to google the "hush-hush" subjects like Tienanmen Square Massacre , Free Tibet, Free Taiwan, Dalai Lama, Falun Gong, ect. It was difficult, but not impossible to get information on those subjects.

There censorship is like US censorship of pirated music/movies. It isnt that hard to find information on these subjects, if people wanted to.

I don't think Chinese citizens view it as "the big evil government does not want us to read anti-China material." They see it as a divisive issue. They feel that the people and the government should be united and strong. Political dissent only causes division, and that is why countries fall apart.

As far as Google, they are trying to save face too late. They aloud the Chinese to censor their search engine, and now they are backtracking.

But at the same time, it is the fastest growing economy in the world and has over a billion people. For google to ignore them would be a failure of a business decision. So its a tough subject.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoType View Post
        Of course when I was in china last summer, i did try to google the "hush-hush" subjects like Tienanmen Square Massacre , Free Tibet, Free Taiwan, Dalai Lama, Falun Gong, ect. It was difficult, but not impossible to get information on those subjects.

There censorship is like US censorship of pirated music/movies. It isnt that hard to find information on these subjects, if people wanted to.
        It isn't, but only because of the internet. The internet is pretty new in China. 30% of the citizens have internet, and it continues to grow. It is forcing China to make decisions between restrictions and freedoms, and restrictions tend to win out.

Originally posted by stereo
        I don't think Chinese citizens view it as "the big evil government does not want us to read anti-China material."
        Citizens can be brainwashed. I know if the US gov't decided to censor sensitive material (Hurricane Katrina for example) there would be riots and protesting numbering into the millions.

They see it as a divisive issue. They feel that the people and the government should be united and strong. Political dissent only causes division, and that is why countries fall apart.
        Not many free-speaking democracies have fallen apart that I know of. But I do know many communist nations who suppressed freedom of speech that did fall apart.

As far as Google, they are trying to save face too late. They aloud the Chinese to censor their search engine, and now they are backtracking.
        Certain censorship is understandable. I don't agree with German censorship of neo-nazi material and disallowing holocaust denial, but I understand it. Google censors that material in Germany the last I checked.

Google probably thought bringing itself into China would "help" the freedom of speech cause, but became dissatisfied with Chinese attempts to hack its servers in order to find dirty information on its citizens and make arrests. That is something Google didn't bargain for, and that is the reason they are leaving. They are profitable over there, so it's not a business decision per se.

But at the same time, it is the fastest growing economy in the world and has over a billion people. For google to ignore them would be a failure of a business decision. So its a tough subject.
        They'll be back. Either as Google, or through a partnership a la Yahoo! & Alibaba.
        Warpox exposes himself | Editorial 1 4 | 2Pox

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by fhnctuli, Today, 07:32 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post fhnctuli  
        Started by Tarzan, 07-19-2021, 04:40 PM