Are video-games influencing warfare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are video-games influencing warfare?

Opinion piece by Sam Roggeveen (Australian academic)

The Wikileaks video showing an American Apache helicopter killing a group of Iraqis has predictably reignited controversy over the close resemblance modern games have to actual warfare, which is conducted increasingly via pin-point strikes from aircraft safely out of range, or even using flying robots guided by 'pilots' on the other side of the world watching a screen and moving a joystick.

The following youtube clip is from Call of Duty 4. Level four of the game is named 'Death from Above', and it's eerily similar to the real Apache footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31V3DXLTr44

First, even if you believe that electronic war games can condition soldiers to kill more easily in real life, 'Death from Above' doesn't seem like a very good vehicle for that argument. The video above indicates that the game-play revolves around discrimination — killing the enemy but sparing friendly soldiers and the innocent. That seems like a really important skill for soldiers to have in order to reduce casualties.

Second, the concern with 'remote-control warfare' changing how soldiers fight crowds out discussion about technology affecting when nations fight. American casualty figures in its modern wars are extraordinarily low by historical standards, and that's in large part a function of technology — America can project immense power while putting very few service-members in danger.

That's good news if you're a soldier in a modern nation, and I'm not suggesting that there ought to be any less emphasis on troop safety. But these relatively low casualty figures do lighten the moral load for political leaders considering a military intervention. Personally, I worry much more about remote-control warfare encouraging reckless military adventurism than I do about video games turning soldiers into mindless killers.
    Last edited by escobar; 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM.

I LUV KILLeN DEM FUCKn ArABIS

JEWISH PRIDE ALL DAY NIGQA
    Last edited by TheKrakenLives; 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM.
    My NEW RapBASEMENT ALBUM!! 9 Tracks!! FREE!! With Guest Appearances by BA, JMG, Patton Oswalt, & Al Pacino!!

http://board.rapbasement.com/showthr...7d5b8&t=476790

Comment

Yes. I know a guy who joined the army for one reason. He really likes Call of Duty and wants to do the real thing.
      I'm known to have a hottie open, I keep the shottie smokin
      Front and get half the bones in your body broken

Comment

Videogames make soldiers more accurate.......

They also desensitize soldiers from the reality of what they're doing...

War has always been a game.

Now its just a more advanced game..

Comment

Originally posted by Baydestrian View Post
          Yes. I know a guy who joined the army for one reason. He really likes Call of Duty and wants to do the real thing.
          lmao
          I think it should be done to you
          Kill furriers, rip off their heads
          Grate their skin, eat their flesh
          Break into a scientists lab
          Vivisect the fucker, stab em to death

Comment

Yeh its crazy they use xbox 360 controllers to pilot UAV's
            http://www.myspace.com/ferociousproductions

slit your Guttural, like a butter roll
            blood will flood a pool, fuck your slut, nut in her hole..

Comment

I guess "soldiers" are going to turn into a bunch of fags anyway, so my thread was pointless. On a serious note though, warfare is becoming more and more bitch every day... soon it's going to be more dangerous to work in the fishing industry than it would be to be one of these pansies who rely on technology for their courage.

Comment

I don't know what to say to that. D Bokk how deluded you must be to consider war more pansy now than ever before. Everyone i know who served says there's little to be proud of in fighting a 'real' war. No one wins when General Macarthur is prepared to take 20000 casualties to take an island on which he could have surrounded and starved the enemy out. War is a terrible thing which should never take place, but unfortunately human failings continually lead us to take up the option of killing one another.
                I can see games being good for desensitizing combatants but no more so than hunting would be. If you can't become used to the act of killing humans by slaughtering animals, then told to treat the enemy as simply another target in the scope, video games aren't gonna really work.
                "I just dance the way I feel"

Comment

Pretty easy, any sissy can pull a trigger. Hell, a paraplegic can be an elite sniper if they let him. Put swords into their hands then it'll become a "real" war but until then it just a bunch of fags running around with guns.
                  No one wins when General Macarthur is prepared to take 20000 casualties to take an island on which he could have surrounded and starved the enemy out.
                  This is EXACTLY why war is now run by bitches. Starving someone isn't an act of war, it's an act of cowardice. That isn't how men solve their conflicts.
                  War is a terrible thing which should never take place, but unfortunately human failings continually lead us to take up the option of killing one another. I can see games being good for desensitizing combatants but no more so than hunting would be. If you can't become used to the act of killing humans by slaughtering animals, then told to treat the enemy as simply another target in the scope, video games aren't gonna really work.
                  I think international professional athletics should be taken to another level... but war will be necessary so long as the world is devoid of justice. And those guys dropping bombs and shooting people from safety aren't the ones fighting for justice, they're pussies who found an easy way to make some money and have idiots call them heroes.

Guy takes out an entire regiment with a battle axe = hero
                  Guy pushes a button and 1000 people die = fag

EDIT: Think about this, how used to the act of killing would a man be if war were close-combat instead of long-ranged like it is today? How many people do you think would be willing to fight with melee weapons and look someone in the eye as they kill them? Think less about video games and more about how society defines warfare if you don't want war desensitized. Look how desensitized you are to modern warfare with your cowardly support of starvation as a war tactic even though the majority of hungry people will be peasants and proles because anyone with a brain knows the leaders are going to keep their army fed first and the people second.
                  Last edited by D_Bokk; 05-01-2010, 01:08 PM.

Comment

It doesn't matter if it influences people to be soldiers because it's the guys in suits that start the wars.
                    ..Watch The Throne

Comment

^True

And with too few soldiers, theres a draft. So it's probably not too much of a bad thing if video games are influencing soldiers to join up.
                      I'm known to have a hottie open, I keep the shottie smokin
                      Front and get half the bones in your body broken

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Lurker07, 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Allanmathew  
                      Started by Kiryanvasez, Today, 05:05 AM