do you believe in god ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I don't and never have.

I went to a religious primary and secondary school but can't remember a time where I ever took the idea seriously.

It was obviously and blatantly illogical and unable to be a true explanation of anything since day one to me.

It's circular, wishful, and ultimately explains nothing. If religious people accept god just 'always existed' they may as well accept that the Universe always existed.

The fact that people need to make that 'always existing' matter of fact a personal entity which can help them out and is interested in world affairs is the key to understanding why people like to believe it. It's a personal and philosophical crutch, a father figure, a figure or protection. But, none of that makes it true, wishing something was true doesn't make it so.

There's also this silly phrase that gets lazily thrown around as a supposed refute, being "you can't disprove god" - as if that makes it 50/50. We only can't "disprove" god because it by definition is outside of logical grasp.

There are an infinite number of things we cannot 'disprove', that doesn't make them likely. There's a lot in between impossible and possible and god is right near impossible. Conversationally speaking, it's impossible but technically speaking, near impossible.

I could say I'm able to fly and you technically couldn't prove that I can't. That doesn't mean that it's likely or at all possible that I can. We still need to base beliefs on a foundation of logic, past and known evidence and a basic rationality to go by. That rationality, is science.

Science is truth and holds no bias. It finds out truth for better or worse and has no ultimate path to destruction or evil thought as logic is the opposite of that.

Where as, organized religions, their so-called morality (but lack there of) and all that they entail, are direct routes to evil thinking and make good people do evil things. Because ultimately, there is no exit strategy to two people who believe in two gods and both believe with their every breath that their's is the right / real god. The only 'exit' for uncivilized, unorganized people in primitive conditions - is to kill each other. Hence: the middle-east.

Religion is the biggest cause of evil and destruction on planet Earth and is always has been. It's a vile, petty, childish, insane, nonsensical thing which I wish very much would disappear. But, just like religious people wishing they'll live forever, me wishing it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

It devalues life and it devalues; self-respect, self-worth, the worth of humans and humanity, the worth of evidence and independence, the worth of women and equality and it fights and stifles progression from every angle. The fact so many believe it in this day and age is a sorry state of affairs.

But the reasons why are easy to place...

First you have childhood indoctrination. I'm putting a good bet on the fact that, you grew up in a religious family and believed this stuff from a young-age? Now, it's a good thing that you're questioning it now, most never escape it.

It's a disgusting, immoral thing to do. To teach a child this mind-puke at ages when they're too young to properly consider, question or rebel it. So, it becomes a part of their consciousness and inner-self thus explaining why people find it so hard to shake it off.

Then you have primitive non-societies. Why do you think the most religious parts of Earth are also the most primitive? the most destructive, the places with the last structure and lots of chaos. Why do you also think they're the most dangerous, violent, defensive, offensive, vile and idiotic.

The more developed and intelligent the environment, the less religious the people. That's a proven fact, except for America where... well, that's a whole separate debate to be had. And there is in fact a proven correlation between religion and intelligence. The more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to believe in god. I think that speaks for itself, and says a lot.
    Last edited by Eminembase; 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Yes I believe in a God. I don't believe in human religion. It's all just ideas of what God could be like. If it wasn't, then we'd all worship the same God. And every other intelligent being in the universe(there are others out there somewhere) would worship the same one as well.

Of course, I kind of laugh at both religious people and atheists all the same. Always arguing. Although atheists actually have logic behind their argument and religious people don't, I think it's flawed logic. Because at the end of the day, something can't come from nothing. It's scientific fact. Everything has a beginning. So how did we get here? Evolution is a good answer but again, everything has a beginning.

Here's how I look at it. Hold out your hand. If you do so, there's nothing there. Nothing solid at least. Let's not get technical and say chemicals in the air and shit. Anyway, so there's nothing in your hand. Can something just appear there? No. Something can't just appear out of nowhere into your hand. But you can however take something like a phone for instance and put it in your hand. That's influence from you. That's kind of how I view the universe.

And please nobody ask me the question "If something can't come from nothing, where did God come from?" Just want to get that idiotic question out of the way. If God created us, he created our logic which means it doesn't pertain to him.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's an argument that won't be answered correctly by any of us. Well maybe it has been answered correctly but none of us know which the correct one is. It's pointless to dwell on it.
      Last edited by Rob B; 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM.
      Originally posted by Rob B
      I haven't fucked in close to 4 years.
      Originally posted by iSquidgey
      Rob B just made the most awkward post of all time.
      Originally posted by Swizz
      Rob B being awkward again, let's just turn around and slowly walk out of this thread guys

Comment

The problem I have with that argument is that God is used as a copout. It's equivalent to the Superman argument. Of course he could do it. He's Superman! It gives no legitimacy to the God argument.

I think if the argument is worth having, we should use actual logic based on everything our species has learned, and not resort to copouts about God being impervious to logic and the rules of nature that we understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew View Post
          The problem I have with that argument is that God is used as a copout. It's equivalent to the Superman argument. Of course he could do it. He's Superman! It gives no legitimacy to the God argument.

I think if the argument is worth having, we should use actual logic based on everything our species has learned, and not resort to copouts about God being impervious to logic and the rules of nature that we understand.
          You're misunderstanding me. When I say "God", I mean whatever created the beginning of the universe. I mean, I'm not even talking about a God to worship. I mean doesn't human religion say that God is pure and what not? But wouldn't a truly pure being not allow people to worship them? So yea, human religion is bogus. I only use the term God because obviously we have no other term for something or someone that created the universe.

Our logic based on everything we have learned is not extensive enough to answer that question. We just don't know. There's blind faith and knowledgeable assumptions. I use the latter. I don't use cop outs. But I'd say it is true that if someone or something created us then our logic wouldn't pertain to them. In fact, I'd bet on that. I could be wrong though. Obviously there's other forms of science we haven't discovered yet. But I'm just using logic based on everything we learned.
          Rob B being awkward again, let's just turn around and slowly walk out of this thread guys

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
            Because at the end of the day, something can't come from nothing. It's scientific fact. Everything has a beginning.
            Actually, the currently accepted scientific belief is that, counter-intuitively, the universe did indeed spring into existence out of nothing. Watch any of the recent BBC astronomy documentaries on the origins of the universe...

Comment

Originally posted by CENIK View Post
              Actually, the currently accepted scientific belief is that, counter-intuitively, the universe did indeed spring into existence out of nothing. Watch any of the recent BBC astronomy documentaries on the origins of the universe...
              Well it's not like I've totally completely thrown away the idea that the entire universe could be just one huge coincidence. It's certainly possible.

But that would make a lot of arguments irrelevant. Like Stew's for instance. He said God is a cop out because people say it would go beyond our logic to understand. But so does the universe just popping into existence from nothing. That contradicts our logic and science.

Confusing shit.

Comment

If time doesn't really exist in the way that we perceive it, that would eliminate a lot of problems. If time doesn't really exist and it's just an illusion to our small minds, concepts like beginning and end don't really exist either and it would make perfect sense for the universe to simply pop into existence out of nowhere.

Still probably a huge copout though.
                I'm known to have a hottie open, I keep the shottie smokin
                Front and get half the bones in your body broken

Comment

Where did this "God" come from ..

Who is to say he doesn't look like a tv set ? who says it a he ?

what was his mum and dad like ?

LOL
                  Buddhism is the shiiiiittttt

When Buddha can't help, I ask , What would BARNEY STINSON do ?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story."

Comment

last night i lay there contemplating what is God, I even asked God about life and creation. It was trippy thinking about it all.
                    The earth is our home - OUR home for billions and billions of years now. I mean we get sentimental moving or leaving some place.
                    The history of the great lakes and niagra falls made it all the more crazy to understand. If the glaciers hadnt of melted and land moved then the lakes wouldnt be there a resource to ppl today.
                    I always assumed we have lived before, but then i considered (for the first time) what if this is my first life on earth and then i dissappear. Death - it's disappearance...weird weird. I guess that is then where our beliefs show - and how we connect with life. Apparently life is more ethereal than material, and i guess that makes sense.

Comment

I was very religous as a kid, raised catholic. And I still do believe in God. But the older I get and the more I learn about science, history, the universe, etc the more I find it hard to believe. Sometimes I think that bein dead might just be the same as it was before we were born. Just an unexplainable eternity of nothingless. Simply ceasing to exist. Nobody knows.
                      RIP PROOF

Comment

I like stories, other than that..... Hes mad gay yo.
                        "Step into my dojo, mofo..."

Comment

life can be screwed up at times, but at the same time it is awesome - i agree learning histiry and science adds to my love of things in life.

if you get the chance check out cells through a microscope, some are wicked designs.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by One_Mic_xxx, Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post One_Mic_xxx  
                          Started by One_Mic_xxx, 03-20-2019, 04:17 PM
                          29 responses