7 Ways to Help Curb Cancer Death Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Ways to Help Curb Cancer Death Risk

A new report from the American Cancer Society estimates that at least half of all cancer deaths "could in principle be avoided."

That phrase -- "in principle" -- is important. Cancer is complicated, and doctors often aren't able to say exactly why someone gets cancer. Genes, lifestyle, and exposure to cancer-causing substances are all important and may interact with each other, over time, in ways that science may not yet understand.

The American Cancer Society's annual report isn't about pointing fingers, casting blame, or making promises. Experts don't have a checklist of steps guaranteed to totally prevent cancer death.

However, certain habits may help. Those practices are spotlighted in the American Cancer Society's paper, "Cancer Prevention & Early Detection Facts & Figures 2006."

Avoidable Risks

Some cancer risk factors can't be changed. No one can change their genes or erase a family history of cancer. But other risk factors aren't written in stone.

"Tobacco use, physical inactivity, obesity, and poor nutrition are major preventable causes of cancer and other diseases in the U.S.," states the American Cancer Society's report.

"The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2006, more than 170,000 cancer deaths will be caused by tobacco use alone," the report continues. "In addition, scientists estimate that approximately one-third (188,277) of the 564,830 cancer deaths expected to occur in 2006 will be related to poor nutrition, physical inactivity, overweight, and obesity."

Top 7 Tips

U.S. tobacco use is down, with per capita cigarette use at its lowest point since World War II. But obesity and inactivity are rising, the report notes.

The report makes six key suggestions:

Don't smoke. If you smoke now, quit, and don't hesitate to seek help with the effort.
    Lose extra weight.
    Get regular physical activity.
    Eat healthfully.
    Limit unprotected time in the sun.
    Follow recommendations for cancer screening.
    Start as soon as possible.
    Those steps may reduce risk of cancer death and other health problems, including heart disease, the American Cancer Society says.

Doctors can help with many of those strategies. For instance, it's wise to get a doctor's approval before starting a new fitness program, especially if you've been on the sidelines for a while.

Early Detection

Survival often improves when cancer is detected early. That's why screening tests are so important.

Greater use of recommended screening tests could also help prevent "many" deaths from cancers of the breast, colon, rectum, and uterine cervix, the report states.

For example, the American Cancer society notes that "fewer than half of Americans for whom [colorectal cancer] testing is recommended have had a recent screening test."

The report shows increases in screening rates for cervical and breast cancers over the past decade. But it also shows room for improvement:
    45% of women aged 40 and older haven't gotten a mammogram in the past year
    Nearly 1 in 5 adult women hasn't had a Pap test in the past three years.
    Mammograms screen for breast abnormalities; follow-up tests are needed to diagnose breast cancer. Pap tests sample cervical cells to look for cervical cancer or abnormalities that may lead to cervical cancer.

Screening rates tend to be worse in people with lower income and education levels, the uninsured, and new immigrants, the report notes.

American Cancer Society's Test List

The report includes a brief overview of routine cancer screening for those at average risk:

Breast: Yearly mammograms starting at 40 for women. Clinical breast exams during routine checkups for women, starting in their 20s.
    Colon and rectum: Screening for all people starting at age 50.
    Prostate: Digital rectal exam and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test should be offered annually to men, starting at 50. Men at high risk, including black men, should begin testing at 45.
    Cervix: Screening should start about three years after a woman starts having vaginal intercourse, but no later than age 21.
    Cancer-related checkup: For people who get periodic health exams, a cancer-related checkup should include health counseling, and, depending on the patient's age and gender, might include tests for cancer of the thyroid, mouth, skin, lymph nodes, testes, ovaries, and some nonmalignant diseases.
    Talk to your doctor about those recommendations. For instance, the CDC's advice on mammograms is slightly different. The CDC recommends that women aged 40-74 get a mammogram every one or two years, with or without clinical breast exam.

People at higher risk of cancer may need screening sooner than others, and no test is perfect. Your doctor can help create a test schedule that fits your health profile.

By Miranda Hitti
    Build Big Muscles Fast

Foods That Will Kill Your Appetite

People should eat right and exercise no matter what it should be part of your lifestyle imo, not as a means of preventing disease. I'm no doctor but I can suspect that genetics also plays a key factor along with diet in cancer, studies have found that asian women have much lower risk of breast cancer and it is attributed to both their diet high in omega-6 acids and genetical factors.

The one thing I dont agree is get away from the sun thing, I personally believe this is only applicable to certain very fair people. Our ancestors were walking around in the sun all the time and for me there is no reason to fear the sun. Unless your heritage is north/western european and you burn really easily than put on some SPF protection, but I encourage people to go out and enjoy the sunshine.
    I LOVE YOU ZIDANE! HURRAH FOR THE MOTHER THAT GAVE BIRTH TO YOU!

Comment

yea the sun gives u essential vitamins too and is known to increases happiness which in turn reduces stress (another cause of illness)
      Originally posted by A n D y
      is paul wall really that good? i dont listen to his stuff because his face is kinda weird
      lmao

Comment

Originally posted by ondadownlow
        The one thing I dont agree is get away from the sun thing, I personally believe this is only applicable to certain very fair people. Our ancestors were walking around in the sun all the time and for me there is no reason to fear the sun. Unless your heritage is north/western european and you burn really easily than put on some SPF protection, but I encourage people to go out and enjoy the sunshine.
        Yeah, it's weird that the increase in skin cancer has happened only recently. I think they are going to discover one day that the sun has only been causing cancer in the past few decades due to all the other toxins we are exposed to. Isn't it a good source of vitamin D as well? Left you a rep earlier.
        Build Big Muscles Fast

Comment

Nothing about alcohol?
          *Opens beer*

Comment

interesting thread. good read chatalean. the sun in aus is fuckin bad!!
            alotta australian people suffer from skin cancer caused by the sun.

i dont know how it is in other countries, but u dont wanna stay out on the sun down here. not even sunscreen helps on a real hot day.
            R.I.P Proof
            get higher, get higher i never retire
            there is only two states to be in.. NSW & Stoned

Comment

Eat Vitamin B-17.

Comment

cancer comes from bacteria and viruses
                FUCK YOU BITCH!!!! YEA YOU

Comment

Originally posted by dead|ine
                  interesting thread. good read chatalean. the sun in aus is fuckin bad!!
                  alotta australian people suffer from skin cancer caused by the sun.

i dont know how it is in other countries, but u dont wanna stay out on the sun down here. not even sunscreen helps on a real hot day.
                  For sure. We got a ragin sun down here in Australia and our sports and surf culture doesn't help too much either. Skin cancer is a major issue and people really need to start putting on sun-block more regularly. Strange how we're also supposed to have the most obese teens in the world, ahead of America. People need to start getting wiser or more and more useless deaths will occur. At least our government does a good job by trying to warn us and all, plenty of ads on TV to make people aware of the dangers..

Not to hijack the topic or anything, but one great and easy way to help fight cancer is to drink green-tea. There is a lot of hype about it at the moment and I'll just paste a few links that people might find interesting..

A decline in cancerous cells in the bodies of those with blood cancer was observed after a certain period of time. Three-quarters of the patients taking the green tea extract expressed enhanced response to treatment and one had an improved white blood cell count.
                  http://www.greenteatoday.com/green-t...h-blood-cancer

A green tea diet is used to perk up the body's health in many ways. The latest study was able to prove that a green tea diet can successfully shelter the skin from injury due to ultraviolet light radiation. Green tea diet is also widely renowned as a substance that can look after against many different cancers.
                  http://www.greenteatoday.com/in-dept...green-tea-diet

"Green tea catechins may improve reference and working-memory related learning ability, say research from Japan, adding to claims that green tea can help ward off Alzheimer’s."
                  http://www.nutraingredients.com/news...green-tea-egcg

There are a lot more links and information regarding this, just take a look at http://digg.com/search?search=green+tea&submit=Submit

Thanks for a good read Chatalean.
                  Last edited by daza; 05-01-2006, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chatalean
                    Yeah, it's weird that the increase in skin cancer has happened only recently. I think they are going to discover one day that the sun has only been causing cancer in the past few decades due to all the other toxins we are exposed to. Isn't it a good source of vitamin D as well? Left you a rep earlier.
                    I would attribute the rise to the depletion of the ozone layer, now there is less protection against the dangerous UV radiation than before the ozone was depleted from pollution. Still no one in my extended family has ever had any cancer problems and I never sunburn so I am personally not as concerned as some people. Our skin evolved to create vitamin D when it's exposed to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays, and this is the only way to get it other than to take a pill. As far as i know there is no vit D in any food.
                    I LOVE YOU ZIDANE! HURRAH FOR THE MOTHER THAT GAVE BIRTH TO YOU!

Comment

Daza, I love green tea. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Cryptic
                      Eat Vitamin B-17.
                      I believe that also. Didn't the FDA outlaw laetrile and raw apricot seeds because of that? God forbid anyone in the U.S. cure cancer. It would cost the medical and pharmaceutical industry millions. That's why it will never happen. It's in their best interest to keep people sick. Plus they don't want to hear about anything natural that can't be patented.

You can get Vit B17 from brown rice, cashews, walnuts and macadamia nuts, lima beans,garbonzo beans (chick peas), flax seed (which is yummy in bread), barley, cranberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, sprouts, certain fruit seeds and lots of other stuff.
                      Build Big Muscles Fast

Comment

aight....sounds good
                        Ima T.R.A.P.S.T.R
                        Got the city on lock, N big shoes on the car

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post