Jesus May Have Walked On Ice, Not Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus May Have Walked On Ice, Not Water

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but a Florida State University professor says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice.

Doron Nof, a professor of oceanography, said a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2000 years ago may offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee - which is actually a freshwater lake - would have been difficult to distinguish from unfrozen water surrounding it.

"I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said in an interview Wednesday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

According to the New Testament books of Matthew, Mark and John, Jesus' disciples were out on the Galilee at night when a storm came up. Jesus walked to the terrified men, who thought he was a ghost, according to the accounts.

Darrell Bock, a professor of New Testament studies at the Dallas Theological Seminary, lightheartedly dismissed the idea that Jesus walked on ice.

"I'm just cold to the theory," said Bock, author of "Breaking the Da Vinci Code," which defends traditional Christian beliefs challenged in Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code."

"I tend to treat it as a real miracle," Bock said. "Almost all the nature miracles are challenged in one degree or another."

Other reaction to the theory has not been so restrained.

"I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. One e-mail called him "the most stupid person on the planet" and closed by wishing that he "go to hell where you belong."

Nof's research appears in the April issue of the Journal of Paleolimnology, a publication on the reconstruction of lake histories. Nof's co-authors are biostatistics professor Ian McKeague of Columbia University and atmospheric science professor Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

They came up with the theory after studying records of long-ago water temperatures in the Mediterranean Sea, based on core samples of shells and other animal remains taken from the bottom.

The records indicated that two lengthy periods 2,500 to 1,500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee, said Nof, a native of Israel.

The unfrozen water surrounding the ice would have come from salty springs along the lake's western shore, he said. Salty water freezes at lower temperatures than fresh water.

haha that would be something. the theory makes some sense but who knows. good read though

Comment

Shouldn't scientists be trying to cure cancer, rather than telling us that ice looks like water sometimes?

Just a thought.

Comment

well there are different types of scientists that focus on different sciences.....

not all are looking for cures to terminal illnesses or cures for anything else...

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Shady
          Shouldn't scientists be trying to cure cancer, rather than telling us that ice looks like water sometimes?

Just a thought.

there is a cure for cancer...the government and medical industry makes way too much money for them to cure cancer...

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET WWW.LIFEAFTERTHEOILCRASH.NET

Comment

Let me be the first to say that walking on ice isn't nearly as impressive as walking on water.

Comment

Originally posted by fastspinz
              well there are different types of scientists that focus on different sciences.....

not all are looking for cures to terminal illnesses or cures for anything else...
              But there are scientists dedicated to telling us that ice looks like water? I'm just saying he's obviously a smart guy to be a professor, he could be using it more helpfully.

But you have a point.

Comment

who cares? good read, but why do they waste their time trying to disprove stuff like this? If they disbelieve, so what, why waste time making bullshit theories to disprove it?
                "Funeral's over, there goes the hearse:
                he said he wanted his life to change, it did for the worst..."
                -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Autotooner
                  who cares? good read, but why do they waste their time trying to disprove stuff like this? If they disbelieve, so what, why waste time making bullshit theories to disprove it?
                  i know right. its kinda wierd that they do these kinds of things. i dont think they
                  accomplish anything but i guess they just want some sort of pat on the back
                  or high five for doing it. o well...

Originally posted by Kid Shady
                  But there are scientists dedicated to telling us that ice looks like water? I'm just saying he's obviously a smart guy to be a professor, he could be using it more helpfully.
                  haha yea thats the world we live in. some people dedicate their lives to do
                  things like these. i dont understand why but whatever floats their boat.

Comment

Originally posted by NyTe^CRaWLeR
                    there is a cure for cancer...the government and medical industry makes way too much money for them to cure cancer...
                    Yeah, they regretted Polio. Can't fuck up twice!

Comment

It's weird how they bring this stuff right when that Da Vinci Code movie is about to come out.All hype.Sort of like what they did with that passion of christ movie.
                      Listen To Hip Hop Mixes mixed by yours truly the bad half,AKA DJ V Smoothhttp://soundcloud.com/dj-scout-v

Comment

the people trying to break the bible are always so polite and think about other people feelings, as opposed to the people who follow their religion blindy are so ignorant and disregard everyones elses beliefs
                        Nine 2 Five is How ya Survive I Ain't Tryin to Survive
                        I'm Trying to Live it to Tha Limit & Love it a Lot
                        D'Evils

Comment

yeah that doesn make sense....depends on the season. Ooh yeah just like when the water parted being a tsunami type occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by NyTe^CRaWLeR

Comment

even if it was ice i doubt it could get that thick to support a mans weight.
                              I think it should be done to you
                              Kill furriers, rip off their heads
                              Grate their skin, eat their flesh
                              Break into a scientists lab
                              Vivisect the fucker, stab em to death

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:39 AM