Economy Report: Crime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy Report: Crime.

This is not finished. I still need to find the number of cops in each city and make a person to officer ratio. I am also looking for the number of occupants under the poverty line, the number of people on/in section 8/public housing. The reason behind this article is that I am creating an economy simulator with as close to immaculate formulas as I can possibly handle. My first two concerns were crime and poverty. No high-wealth residents want low-wealth residents populating their borrows, but the facts are that (a) they need to live some where and they support our economy. Even if somehow, all the low level jobs were conducted in third world countries, our middle class would become low-wealth (even though they would be high-wealth in most other countries). One-percent of our country (USA) controls forty-percent of our nation's wealth.

I decided to do a little study, involving crime and poverty. Is crime an effect of the people, the poverty, the persons to cop ratio or other circumstances? I decided I would compare the most dangerous and the safest cities in Massachusetts (Springfield and Newton). Because MA has no capital punishment, the results (in my opinion) seem more valid. Having resided or visited both of these cities, I can tell you firsthand that the random people in whom you bump into have a vast difference in their attitudes. The people of Springfield seem to have a better grasp with the fact that we have to share this planet with others. Newton, however seems to ignore this. When I go to Wendy's in Springfield, I get warm hellos, the inverse of Newton. Could it be that the more wealthy residents' children are ashamed to of taken upon a job such as this?

Newton Dropout Rate: 0.8
    Springfield Dropout Rate: 8.1

Quite a big difference, but have a look at this:

"The five school districts with the highest projected dropout rates [In MA] for the class of 2004 are Lawrence (38%), Chelsea (33%), Lowell (33%), Boston (30%) and Springfield (28%)"

Springfield: The violent crime rate was 8380.5 per 100,000 people.
    Boston: 5953.1 per 100,000 people.
    Lowell: 4035.3 per 100,000 people.
    Chelsea: 5512.1 per 100,000 people.
    Lawrence: 3011 per 100,000 people.

The crime rate is actually dropping as the dropout rates rise (Remember, Chelsea and Lowell are both at 1/3)! Maybe its the education system and not the dropouts. Is the youth learning less in each city? Could it be that the Springfield teachers make less than the Newton teachers do (by tens of thousands)? I decided to check if this was a nation-wide epidemic.

Camden NJ: 70% dropout rate -- 8822.3 crime rate.
    Hartford CT: 46% dropout rate -- 9977.7 crime rate.
    Compton CA: 40% dropout rate -- 4239.7 crime rate.
    Camden has the highest dropout rate of all the above examples, yet not the highest crime rate. Camden NJ has 24% more dropouts than Hartford with about a 1,000 rate difference in crime!

Median Household Income (Newton): $86,052
    Median Household Income (Springfield): $30,417
    Newton Population: 83829
    Springfield Population: 152082

Maybe it is the lack of a male figure. "In Springfield, 23.8 percent of households are headed by single women. In Holyoke, the rate is 22.1 percent." Holyoke (connected to Springfield) is also the poorest city in Massachusetts. Newton is the richest. The number one reason (by statistics) for single parent homes is poverty.

"In Latin culture, the man of the house brings the law. When my father left there was no pressure for me to go to school, so I dropped out in tenth grade." (A quote from a Holyoke man)

From what I can tell, this is how it starts: A build up of low-wealth residents move into a certain area. Desirability goes down, and high-wealth residents move out. The city no longer has its budget; the schools go down. When the schools go down, dropout rates go up. Creating poverty, unemployment and eventually single mothers, and then the cycle continues.
    Last edited by Masochistic; 04-25-2006, 04:00 AM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Steve--O, 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
52 responses
0 likes
Last Post OlmanGrand  
Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:52 AM
0 responses
1 view