Eminem - The Eminem Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminem - The Eminem Show

After releasing two solo projects (The Slim Shady LP in 1999 and The Marshall Mathers LP in 2000) and releasing an album with his Detroit click, D12, Devil’s Night in 2001, Eminem returns with an all-new album. It’s his most personal effort yet, unlike any of the others. The man who once rapped about “doin acid, crack, smack, coke and smokin dope”, having a threesome with singers Brandy, Monica and Aailyah, and “raping his own mother” on at least one occasion, decides to take a more mature approach this time around. It’s obvious he’s grown a lot over the years, as both a rap-star and a “real person” (most notably, a father), as he gives the listener a major glimpse of his life, in the form of a show. Yes, the life of Marshall Mathers, which was already a media freak-show, is now officially open to the public. So, come one, come all. The Show is about to begin.

It all starts with a simple intro, which has the man of the hour willingly stepping into the spot-light as the crowd applauds. The audience includes some of everybody, including that boisterous 13 year-old kid who beat-up little Johnny for his new Eminem CD, the dozens and dozens of album reviewers across the country who caught months of heck-mail for praising his last album, and that abstinent computer hacker who heard the album several weeks before it’s official release. Once Eminem has America’s attention, he goes for the kill. Over a grungy, guitar-laced, beat (produced by himself, like most of the tracks on the album), he gives a political speech, examining his popularity and infamy in America, and the reasons behind them, as arguable as his reasons may be. For example, he credits his looks, most notably his “dimples” and skin color (“Look at my sales, let’s do the math / If I was black, I would’ve sold half”) for his success. Maybe I’m just naïve for thinking all this time it was because of his lyrical talent. Besides, lyrical talent alone is the reason I once called him “quite possibly the greatest MC of all time”.

As his verses on D12’s Devil’s Night suggested, it’s safe to say that title has gotten a bit tarnished. He can still rhyme with the best of them... A lot of his verses on this new album have very complex rhyme-schemes (check-out “Till I Collapse”, featuring Nate Dogg)... How he says what he says is still top-quality... but the actual substance (what he actually says) is his most unimaginative ever.

Eminem was once known for his hilariously-twisted sense of humor, but you'll have a hard time trying to find even one funny line on this whole album. Not that he doesn’t try every now and then, but when he does, he falls flat in a bed of greasy pop-corn (“There’s no such thing, like a female with good looks who cooks and cleans”, or better yet, “How can one Chandra be so Levy?”).

Then again, maybe it’s not fair to judge the album from that perspective. Besides, no artist should be criticized for putting all jokes aside and doing a “serious” album. Problem is, even with that taken into account, when compared to his “serious” songs of the past (such as “Rock Bottom” and “Stan”), the overall quality, imagination and creativity presented here is still minimal.

He yells most of the vocals on most of the album, sometimes sounding as if he’s trying to mimic the trademark flow of the late Tupac Shakur. And even that would be okay, if only the content were interesting, but it simply isn't all that interesting, at least not by the high standards he’s set for himself.

Gone is the lyrical magic he once blessed the mic with (read: 1999). Gone are the amazing stories ("As The World Turns" and "My Fault"). Gone is the insane creativity ("Guilty Conscious" and "Kim"). Gone is the "Oh-my-God-Eminem-has-a-new-album-out-!!!" anticipation from at least one underground MC / college album-reviewer who used to look-up to him for his awesome lyrical wizardry.

Say hello to covering the same tired topics on nearly every track. Say hello to an almost-crappy lead-single, dissing pop-stars with silly lines ("And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie / You 36 year-old bald-headed Stan, blow me"). Say hello to the mediocre Obie Trice instead of the lyrical great Royce Da 5-9. Say hello to an open and unsolicited invite to Eminem-Kim-therapy. Say hello to holding on to the past and dragging fans into frantic emotional tantrums ("Cleaning Out My Closet"). Say hello to the same topics and good-but-used-to-be-better rhyme-style over and over again. Say hello to The Eminem Show.

Don’t get me wrong. Eminem at his worst is still better than most rappers on the Billboard charts today. He's still one of my favorite MCs and this album does have a few good tracks (maybe even a classic or two). The man can still come up with some amazing choruses ("Goodbye To Hollywood" and "Superman"). But this isn't the same Eminem who almost won The Rap Olympics. This isn't the same Eminem who put all those other guest-artists to shame on Missy's first album. This isn't the same Eminem who’s ghost-pen made Dr. Dre sound like the rapper he never was. This isn't the same Eminem who lyrically-murdered all those elites (including Chino XL and even KRS-One) on "The Anthem". This isn't the same Eminem who's voice used to sound like Big Bird. This isn't the same Eminem who “just don’t give a f*ck”. This isn’t the same Eminem who represented for every starving underground rap-artist with a microphone from Detroit to every other city in America. This isn’t the same Eminem.

Where is he???

I’m assuming he’s dead.

Fame and fortune killed him.

My Rating: 3 (of 5)

For more Album Reviews by Marcel Lee, visit www.*************
    Last edited by Marcel Lee; 04-10-2003, 04:30 PM.

www.marcellee.com

dope review....
    Trust me nobody is touching me..

Comment

eh, this was my favorite Em album after Infinite but to each his on i guess. Good review though

Comment

great review. u should also review The Marshall Mathers LP...
        Vexx, bitch.

Comment

on point
          A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Lee

This isn’t the same Eminem.

Where is he???

I’m assuming he’s dead.

Fame and fortune killed him.
            exactly
            great review [1st one i like ]
            A knife in the throat suits you nicely.

Comment

i didnt know eminem wanted a 3some wit those 3.
              i wanna do that too
              I see I said, Jealousy I said,
              Got the whole industry mad at me I said,
              And B, I said, Hova, Remind yourself,
              Nobody built like you, You design yourself,
              I agree I said, My one-of-a-kind self gets stoned everyday like Jesus did.
              What he said, I said, has been said before,
              Just keep doing your thing he said,
              Say No More.
              - Jay- Z

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Lesatahonza, Today, 09:58 AM
              0 responses