My Two Cents on "The Grudge"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Two Cents on "The Grudge"

In short the movie was terrible. It's an obvious rushed film trying to cash in on the success on "The Ring" by formulazing it: take a popular japanese film, "westernize" it with some American stars, then release it on America.

Generally the movie is incredibly cliched. The story is the least original thing I have ever heard - man's wife cheats on him so he kills her and his son in a fit of rage, somehow a curse is born in the house and everyone who comes there is killed by this "curse."

So the story isn't that great, but neither is the acting or anything else. Geller pretty much acts exactly the same as all her other movies, making the same facial expressions, etc...

As far as scariness is concerned, it really isn't scary at all. Instead of relying on psychological fear (like most good scary movies do) "Grudge" relies on things jumping out at you. That's about it. Basically, if you're over the age of 13, then don't expect to be very scarred.

However, there are some redeeming points to this movie. Eschewing the typical chronological structure of most movies, "Grudge" actually jumps around between different times. The sense of confusion that it creates really helps intensify the film. The pacing works really well, until the end where everything seems a bit rushed.

Besides that the movie is pretty mediocre stuff. it's the typical "in your face scare" that will be forgotten in 5 months.
    Originally posted by Calidank
    milk the money as long as you can, long as people keep requestin it why stop a good thing.... At the end of the day its a buisness, the art of selling.

good stuff, i agree with most of what you said. I think the score is also worth mentioning because it made the movie better but like you said pretty much average movie. i'd give it a 4.5/10
    Phenom

Comment

I like jumping in my seat, so when things pop up on the screen I have no problem with that. But all in all it isn't anything to remember.

Don't make sense
      Goin' to Heaven with the goodie-goodies
      Dressed in white
      I like black Timbs and black hoodies

Comment

I haven't seen the Westernised version of The Grudge but I've seen the original Japanese version... it was alright, nothing too special. It had that "leap off your seat" factor in some parts... but on the whole, it wasn't at all scary.

My girl found it terribly scary... but she's a fag when it comes to stuff like that, lol.
        "We can't afford to live, so abortions rise
        Can't afford the truth, so we told to lie
        Can't afford a funeral, 'cause the costs is high
        God damn, we can't even afford to die!"
        - Monopoly by Papoose

Comment

The ending sucked and I hated how theyd flash back and you would have to be like oh its a flash back and i woulda just rocked that kid

and when YOKO was bleeding the guy was like yoko are you ok and there is big ass puddles of blood
          http://www.myspace.com/mohawkrevolutionclothing

Comment

You know a movie is going to be bad when it looks like a rip off of another movie (The Ring) and the commercials try to compare it to the movie it ripped off.
            I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

Comment

yah my bro said this was the scariest movie he has ever seen (he's 17 lmao).... i saw it tonight and it wasnt all that scary. i mean it had some scary parts but i think the website made me jump more than the movie. u should check the website out. im afraid toshio is gonna be watching me while i sleep lol.
              Not Your Normal "Guns, Money, Bitches" Rap

Comment

Originally posted by M
                good stuff, i agree with most of what you said. I think the score is also worth mentioning because it made the movie better but like you said pretty much average movie. i'd give it a 4.5/10
                again you saw a movie before me...I still have a list to go and see. 2#:-(

But I haven't seen the grudge yet...I dunno, just didn't look that good to me.
                To an actor a word is not just a sound
                it is the evocation of images.
                Your job is to instill your inner visions in others,
                and convey it in words-Stanislavki

-Lex-

Comment

i swear man, everyone in the audience was laughin when i saw that movie, no joke.... i didnt find it scary at all.
                  Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by | Greg2385 |
                    i swear man, everyone in the audience was laughin when i saw that movie, no joke.... i didnt find it scary at all.
                    lol that isn't a good sign...if it's supossed to be a SCARY movie.
                    To an actor a word is not just a sound
                    it is the evocation of images.
                    Your job is to instill your inner visions in others,
                    and convey it in words-Stanislavki

-Lex-

Comment

it blowed.. the crowd was laughin the whole fuckin time tonite hahah god damn.. shit was funny.. one part yall mite remember.. karens sister? or whoever.. in the stairways/lightsdimout/runstoskinnyasianguy... and as sooooon as they showed this puny guy just walkin to see wsup with his flashlight.. we all knew wut was gonna happen hahaha so many dumbasses in this movie too.. DURRRR lets just go one by one and find out what this mysterious noise is upstairs and die.. hahaha oh well i liked it for the comedy

Comment

Originally posted by DUNNthealmighty
                        You know a movie is going to be bad when it looks like a rip off of another movie (The Ring) and the commercials try to compare it to the movie it ripped off.

I don't think it could really be considered a rip off of another movie since Ringu and Juon (original Versions of the Ring and The Grudge) had the same director...All in all, it was a decent movie, nothing I'd buy, but something I would rent..

Comment

Nice Review. Havent seen it yet though and I love SMG so Im biast when it comes to her acting lol.
                          My mum jumped during the trailer lol!
                          http://www.last.fm/user/Humpage/

My DVD Collection

Please sub my Youtube channel: DVDeMm (Huge DVD collector)

Comment

this movie was a piece of shit and I want my $10.50 back!!!!!!
                            I'm an angel.. Honest
                            The horns are just there to keep the halo straight

Comment

idk....i still wanna see it....hope it isn't as bad as ya'll say it is...lol
                              http://www.d12world.com/board/showthread.php?t=149157

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by toddmaxwell, Today, 03:58 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post toddmaxwell  
                              Started by dqwhmgukogdp, Today, 03:36 AM
                              0 responses