Commentary on DVD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commentary on DVD's

I was just wondering who else watches the commentaries on dvd's by the director's or producers or whoever else does it depending on the movie. I always thought they were a boring stupid extra that i would never use but i gave it a go with one movie and i really enjoyed and it really gives me an extra level of appreciation with some movies. So who here uses the commentary on dvd's and with what movies do you think it is the best?
    a wise man once said more please
    Viva La Resistance
    R.I.P Big Proof

http://www.myspace.com/shaneshaneandmoreshane

i use it when i watch my South Park DVDs...Matt and Trey say some really funny shit in those commentaries...

Comment

im about to watch the commentary on waiting in about a half an hour.
      R.I.P. Big Proof

Comment

Only if they are interesting and give maybe some insight on some parts that i missed or good explanations on stuff that makes the film more enjoyable and such.
        Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
        Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

Comment

I liked listening to the Tarentino commentary on "from dusk to dawn".

It depends who's talking......

Comment

Depends on the movie.

I watch Aliens with the commentary on and it was great, especially since the movie on the DVD has all the scenes added back that were deleted from the original movie.
            I'm an angel.. Honest
            The horns are just there to keep the halo straight

Comment

Yes, I usually do. But like some people have pointed out, it really depends who's talking. I always try to listen to Director's Commentary, while commentaries from people from the art department or the sound designers don't interest me much (though I do understand how it can entertain some people).

My favorite commentaries:

All of Kevin Smith's - that guy is just funny at nature. He doesn't try to be, even when he's just telling stories from the production or something they always make me roll on the floor from laughter.
              All of Matt & Trey - The same thing here. Even though it can be argued that some of what Matt and Trey say can be catogorised at just plain idiotic - it's still entertaining.
              All Quentin Tarantino - Not only is the guy funny as hell, he's also very detailed and because he has a past (and a present) of being a movie-fanatic and collector, he knows exactly what we nerds want to hear and what we don´t want to hear.
              All ZAZ (Zucker, Abraham, Zucker) - They basically feed of each other's energy and silliness.
              The Simpsons Commentary - It's always interesting to hear what happens behind the scenes of your favorite show.

My Top 5 Personal Favorite Rappers:

1. Slug (of Atmosphere)
              2. Eminem
              3. Brother Ali
              4. Ludacris
              5. The Streets (Mike Skinner)

Comment

you gotta hear Robert De Niro on a commentary.
                I don't remember which fiilm it was but it's like this.......
                "that's tom, a great guy and actor.................".10 mins of silence
                "that's john, a great guy .................".10 mins of silence.
                I thought the track was broken. Not a man of many words off camera.

The commentary for "Snatch" was good too.
                Guy Ritchie pointed out that most people didn't realise that Brad Pitt was taking a shit behind the car when he first appeared in the film.

Red Dwarf too. But I doubt that anyone stateside would know of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Devane
                  you gotta hear Robert De Niro on a commentary.
                  I don't remember which fiilm it was but it's like this.......
                  "that's tom, a great guy and actor.................".10 mins of silence
                  "that's john, a great guy .................".10 mins of silence.
                  I thought the track was broken. Not a man of many words off camera.

Guy Ritchie pointed out that most people didn't realise that Brad Pitt was taking a shit behind the car when he first appeared in the film.

Red Dwarf too. But I doubt that anyone stateside would know of it.
                  snatch was an awesome movie but i had no idea about that. that's probly what i love most about the commentary you find out all these little things that you completely miss out on if it wasn't for the commentary. fight club has quite a few of those little hidden things
                  a wise man once said more please
                  Viva La Resistance
                  R.I.P Big Proof

http://www.myspace.com/shaneshaneandmoreshane

Comment

Guy Ritchie also pointed out that when sorting out the soundtrack he was given tracks by certain bands. He didn't like to songs thus pissing them off. He says now he will only include tracks he actually likes.
                    Wesley Snipes stated on the Blade 2 commentary that the studios wanted to get rid of him. They have now.
                    He also gave a list of songs for the soundtrack, they used none.
                    He was complaining about the songs as they came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Devane

i knew that...he's crouching and then he gets up adjusting himself...but Ritchie didn't mean that Pitt was literally taking a shit, did he?

another good bit of commentary (i think it was commentary), was Scorsese explaining the fight scene between DeNiro and Pesci in Raging Bull...he said that in order to make it look authentic, DeNiro surprised Pesci by dragging him and beating the crap out of him by surprise...

Comment

The worst commentary ever is on the Dodgeball DVD. I don't even know if its a joke or not. Basically, Vince Vaughn is drinking and eating instead of commenting and Ben Stiller turns up late. They both get into an argument with the sound guys and storm off. So the sound guys play the commentary track to There's Something About Mary. It's painful. I think it might have been planned but it's kinda hard to tell cause you can't see their facial expression or anything.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Riggz
                          i knew that...he's crouching and then he gets up adjusting himself...but Ritchie didn't mean that Pitt was literally taking a shit, did he?
                          I don't so . I think he meant nobody reacted/commented on it, so I believes people missed it.

Originally posted by S|imShady
                          The worst commentary ever is on the Dodgeball DVD. I don't even know if its a joke or not. Basically, Vince Vaughn is drinking and eating instead of commenting and Ben Stiller turns up late. They both get into an argument with the sound guys and storm off. So the sound guys play the commentary track to There's Something About Mary. It's painful. I think it might have been planned but it's kinda hard to tell cause you can't see their facial expression or anything.....
                          Yeah, what the fuck was that about?
                          Vince Vaugn was telling some technician to go fuck himself if I remember it right. What this supposed to be funny?
                          They seemed like fucking assholes.

I have yet to hear this but there is a Irish Comedian who has a DVD out at the moment, which is basically standup.
                          He has included a commentary track for his performance.
                          The next audio track is a commentary about his commentary on track 2
                          The next audio track is a commentary about his commentary on track 3
                          It's supposed to be fucking funny. I'll have to check it out.
                          Last edited by Devane; 04-25-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Riggz
                            i use it when i watch my South Park DVDs...Matt and Trey say some really funny shit in those commentaries...
                            I AM THE LIQUOR

millimeter n9ne rips vinyl
                            i know
                            mix flow like korean albino
                            wino
                            once bred an elephant
                            with a rhino
                            called it the hell if I know

R.I.P. PROOF

Comment

The commentary by richard kelley and kevin smith on the donnie darko directors cut is awesome!!!! You should def. check it out

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by oneshotc0, Today, 10:04 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oneshotc0  
                              Started by oneshotc0, Today, 10:01 AM