Woody Allen's "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woody Allen's "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger"

Woody Allen's You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger will be released later this year. The film was shot in London and stars Naomi Watts, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Brolin, Antonio Banderas, Anna Friel, Freida Pinto and Lucy Punch.
    cinematic adoration

Although there isn't a trailer yet, I just came across an article about the film's cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, who previously worked with Woody on Melinda and Melinda and Cassandra's Dream. I don't know how much of these are spoilers, but I doubt it's anything major considering nothing official has been announced so far. It's starting to sound interesting!

One couple is getting a divorce after more than 25 years of marriage. The wife is fraught with anxiety, because she doesn’t how to handle being on her own. A friend sends her to a fortune teller, who tells the woman she is going to meet the love of her life.

Another character is a struggling novelist who has only written one successful book. He meets a woman from India who plans to marry her fiancée. She falls in love with the troubled writer and calls her wedding off.

You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger was produced in London last July. The ensemble cast features Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Naomi Watts, Gemma Jones and Freida Pinto. Zsigmond also describes Lucy Punch as a “very funny actress,” who adds a dimension of humour to the story.

Zsigmond estimates that they shot 98% of the film with a single camera that was generally on a Steadicam tracking with the actors. He compares Allen’s approach to covering scenes to a choreographer planning a ballet. Allen kept the camera moving for up to three minutes while they covered scenes in one shot.

One location was an apartment with two bedrooms, a bathroom, living room and kitchen connected by a long hallway. Zsigmond described a Steadicam shot that followed a character walking through the front door, down a hallway, into and out of the kitchen, and into the living room, where there was some brief dialogue with another character.

The camera followed the character as he walked back down the hallway into a bedroom. He sat down and looked through a window. The shot concluded with images seen through another window of a girl playing a guitar in a building about 100ft away.

“Woody was usually next to the camera,” Zsigmond says. “He occasionally looked at composition on a monitor, but never played back scenes in a video village. We trusted Peter who is a terrific operator, and Biggles’ lighting always looked natural. Even if Woody liked the first take, there was usually another one just to be sure.”

Source
    cinematic adoration

Comment

Poster

International (Spanish) Poster

I think both are pretty terrific, despite people really disliking the first one. I'm a big fan of minimalism and simplistic designs, and I think they both work considering the thematic of the film.
      cinematic adoration

Comment

With all these shiny and detailed posters nowadays, this kind of simplicity looks really fresh. (yep, I like 1st version better)

I'm really curious how Antonio Banderas is going to play his role...

Anyways I'm really looking forward to this movie !

Comment

Hey One-Way, what's a good Woody Allen film I should rent? I've never seen any of his movies. You seem to love this guy, so I was hoping you could give me a suggestion.
          Last edited by TimmyT; 07-02-2010, 09:55 PM.
          Minnesota Vikings needs in the offseason

- QB

- Re-sign Sidney Rice

- Defensive Backs

Comment

I loved Annie Hall the first time I watched it, I consider it to be a masterpiece.

Only other Woody Allen film I've seen is Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona which was really good also.
            I ain't a desperado I'm desperate to hit the lotto and meet a model who can put a smile on my face like Mcdonalds

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyT View Post
              Hey One-Way, what's a good Woody Allen film I should rent? I've never seen any of his movies. You seem to love this guy, so I was hoping you could give me a suggestion.
              You didn't ask me but...I think Annie Hall is his best film and it's one of my very favorites. It's also rather accessible so it's not a bad place to start.

In terms up of his dramas, Match Point might be a good place to start as it's also the film that made me explore Woody Allen's filmography. As for comedies, I'd recommend Mighty Aphrodite and Deconstructing Harry as I think they might be his straight up funniest films.

On an unrelated note, I'm going on vacation this summer to Spain. My cousin and I plan to end the trip in Oviedo where we will visit the life-size Woody Allen statue, thus turning the trip into some sort of dork pilgrimage.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyT View Post
                I agree with Twan's recommendations.

I really recommend starting out with Annie Hall. It's his masterpiece, and is one of my favorite films of all time. Woody Allen has some very funny films, as well as some interesting dramas. Personally, I'm a big fan of some of his more serious efforts, although I truly love anything by him.

If you're looking for some humor and laughs, you can't go wrong with Bananas and Sleeper - both are very early Woody Allen films and it's straight up comedy, à la Charlie Chaplin. I've realized that some people prefer these films over everything else he's done, which is a shame. Sure, he was hilarious and as slapstick as it got, but his style has really matured over the years.

If you're looking for a little more depth in his films, you'll love Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Manhattan, all of which are my absolute favorites by him. Like most his films, they deal with relationships in relation to quirky characters.

I also love Husbands and Wives (a dysfunctional film about dysfunctional lives), Match Point (Woody's favorite film of his and it's undoubtedly his best recent film), and Radio Days (a nostalgic look at his childhood in the Golden Age of Radio).

Honestly, I can go on and on but I'll simply be listing every single one of his films. I'll give you a little list of his films and you should start with these. It'll give you a good feel for his style of filmmaking, and you can just ask us for more advice in the future.

1) Annie Hall
                2) Manhattan
                3) Crimes and Misdemeanors
                4) Hannah and Her Sisters
                5) Match Point

From here on, you'll probably be in love. Enjoy!

Originally posted by Twan18 View Post
                On an unrelated note, I'm going on vacation this summer to Spain. My cousin and I plan to end the trip in Oviedo where we will visit the life-size Woody Allen statue, thus turning the trip into some sort of dork pilgrimage.
                Lucky!

I went to Barcelona in Summer 2006 and absolutely fell in love with the city. I didn't end up going to Oviedo and this was before I even knew of the Woody Allen statue. So, when Woody Allen announced his Barcelona film, I felt like he was making the film for me, because he basically photographed everything I wanted to do and more.

So, please take some pictures. There's a bunch online, but still.
                cinematic adoration

Comment

anyone have a link to Mighty Aphrodite? I'm curious about it now.
                  25 to life.

Recovery

Comment

International Trailer

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...tional-trailer

Well, it looks like another throwback romance comedy that Woody is dealing with here. I don't think this is going to be a groundbreaking Woody Allen film (especially after reading some early reviews from Cannes) but I don't think it will be bad. I honestly don't even judge or rate Woody's films. He's a rare breed; he should not even be critiqued for his work. He gives us some easy, enjoyable films to watch -- who are we to judge?

I'll just be really glad if we get another Match Point-like film in the near future. Until then, let's just enjoy these fun Woody films.
                    cinematic adoration

Comment

Trailer looks like fun, though even without a trailer, I knew I'd be making my annual trip to see the new Woody Allen film. Critics from Cannes had been pretty harsh on it, but I'm generally more favorable to his work than the critical consensus (as was the case with Whatever Works).

Comment

Though not entirely relevant to this thread, I just got back from my trip to Spain and have thus completed my pilgrimage to the Woody Allen statue in Oviedo. Here it is in all of its glory.

Comment

Nice!

It's such a better picture than all the others floating out there. Thank you for taking the time to take a picture of this. It's awesome!
                          cinematic adoration

Comment

I just got back from seeing this and absolutely loved it. I went it with no expectations, and that's what I usually do with Woody Allen films. I sit back and enjoy myself, because whether it's his best film or not, I always find myself admiring his stories. With that said, I really found myself becoming invested in the story of this film and its characters. I thought Gemma Jones was fantastic and really enjoyed the performance of Naomi Watts and Lucy Punch. It was just an all-around fun film, occasionally dark in its tone and very often humorous. In my opinion, this was a great ensemble piece that you can't really put down or say anything negative towards.

cinematic adoration

Comment

nice. can't wait to see it

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Smilert, 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes