No announcement yet.

83rd Annual Academy Awards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kings Speech - Well deserved win for best film!
    Originally posted by IloveEminem6969
    groupie? ..how am i a groupie?
    - Hahahaha, Classic!

Comment

Originally posted by HIP JOINT View Post
      Sorry but I got to disagree with you guys bashing TKS.

One-Way you were saying how you hate 'but they're due' excuse. I felt like if Fincher was to win it would've been because he 'was due'. Personally I feel like his best directing was in either Seven or Zodiac. Sorkin's masterpiece script made TSN. Fincher really didn't have to do much. There was nothing extraordinary about the directing whereas Nolan's work was mind boggling as a director. I know people have complained about how there was too much exposition but credit is due to Nolan's great vision in pulling off such a monster idea.

Hooper's work was really good I can't fault his directing and the Academy love period pieces. In my opinion this years awards really mirrored last years with The Hurt Locker winning the majority over films like Inglourious Basterds etc..
      I disagree.

David Fincher is not due. The Social Network was his most mature film, and even so, out of all the nominees, it was the best directed film. It's a film that only few could have made interesting and feel as exciting as it did, and the film worked in the hands of David Fincher.

The King's Speech had no directing hand at work. I felt like I was watching a really well made television film. Harvey Weinstein cut down the film and made it PG-13 to make it more family friendly. If a director really stood by his work, he wouldn't have let him do that, and originally, he was against the idea. I can't see any director letting a studio executive cut his film down, but he gave into the idea. Tom Hooper was more of a hired hand on the film is what I mean and it feels like so. There's no vision and no authorial exercise in its making; any good director could have directed the film. The same does not hold true for The Social Network.

The thing that bothers me is people really believe The King's Speech deserved to win. It didn't deserve to win. The only reason it did was because they poured $40-$50 million on marketing in the last month or so, or else nobody would have known about this film. Harvey bought his way in again and Pete Hammond's phone conversation with voters shows just that.
      Last edited by One-Way; 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM.
      cinematic adoration

Comment

Happy Bale won. I love seeing One-Way dominate in this section.

Comment

Sorry but I got to disagree with you guys bashing TKS.

One-Way you were saying how you hate 'but they're due' excuse. I felt like if Fincher was to win it would've been because he 'was due'. Personally I feel like his best directing was in either Seven or Zodiac. Sorkin's masterpiece script made TSN. Fincher really didn't have to do much. There was nothing extraordinary about the directing whereas Nolan's work was mind boggling as a director. I know people have complained about how there was too much exposition but credit is due to Nolan's great vision in pulling off such a monster idea.

Hooper's work was really good I can't fault his directing and the Academy love period pieces. In my opinion this years awards really mirrored last years with The Hurt Locker winning the majority over films like Inglourious Basterds etc..

Inception was a good script but summer action films don't win this category. TKS was an excellent piece of writing and it had a bit of everything.

The acting awards were pretty much settled.

Deakins time will come eventually. Cinematography was up in the air really. It could've gone to anybody.
          Good post, though I disagree on most accounts

Fincher's work in Zodiac and The Social Network is far more refined and mature than his early work in either Fight Club or Seven, which still heavily wore his music video influences. If he won for Best Director, I don't think it would have been perceived that he was "due." I think it would have been viewed that he won for directing what was the most critically acclaimed mainstream film of the year. His work imo was also much stronger than Hooper's nondescript approach and Nolan's only intermittently inspired direction. As I said in my King's Speech review, Fincher took a dialogue heavy script and made it visual and kinetic. In order words, he made Sorkin's excellent script cinematic and I can't say I felt Hooper did the same with his.

I had no problem with Pfister's win over Deakins as it was one of Inception's strong points. Given his recent output, Deakins will likely be up for the award again soon.

Comment

Ty, to answer your question in your rep, I haven't seen The Rite. I wasn't really interested in seeing the film after its mediocre trailers and awful reviews.
            cinematic adoration

Comment

since The Departed, Best Picture and Best Director has gone to the same film.

If Fincher was to win, TSN would've scooped Best Picture too.

I was just happy that the standards were so good of the films of 2010.

Talking about 'better directed' There Will Be Blood was sooooo much better directed than NCFOM. tbh TWBB should have made a clean sweep that night, doesn't matter how due The Coens were.
              Last edited by HIP JOINT; 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM.
              I ain't a desperado I'm desperate to hit the lotto and meet a model who can put a smile on my face like Mcdonalds

Comment

since The Departed, Best Picture and Best Director has gone to the same film.

If Fincher was to win, TSN would've scooped Best Picture too.

I was just happy that the standards were so good of the films of 2010.

Talking about 'better directed' There Will Be Blood was sooooo much better directed than NCFOM. tbh TWBB should have made a clean sweep that night, doesn't matter how due The Coens were.
                I have to disagree again homie. Many people were predicting a Best Director/Best Picture split, especially given that even the BAFTAs, despite the homefield advantage, awarded Fincher over Hooper. It doesn't happen too often, but this year, there was definitely a distinct possibility for the split.

With regards to No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, it was basically a pick 'em in 2007 as both were neck and neck in terms of acclaim. The critical gap between the Coens and PTA was nowhere near that between Fincher and Hooper.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by One_Mic_xxx, Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post One_Mic_xxx  
                Started by One_Mic_xxx, 03-20-2019, 04:17 PM
                29 responses