HIP HOP LIFESTYLE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lebron James scores 56 points (youngest to score 50+) but not enough to down Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebron James scores 56 points (youngest to score 50+) but not enough to down Raptors

lol, lebron is probably feeling pissed off right now, he's team didn't deliver, especially the bench.

Canadian Press

3/20/2005

TORONTO (CP) - LeBron James was simply awesome.

The Toronto Raptors made sure nobody else was.

James poured in a career-high 56 points Sunday to become the youngest player in NBA history to reach the 50-point mark. But the Raptors withstood a red-hot afternoon from the 20-year-old superstar to pull out a 105-98 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Related Info
    Cavs' Silas says team has no excuses

''(James) played an amazing game, he put the team on his back, he played all 48 minutes, and he tried to do what he could to get his team over the top,'' said Raptors guard Jalen Rose.

''It's going to be a game a lot of people talk about, but they're also going to talk about how they lost that game.''

Rose finished with 30 points, including 12 in the fourth quarter, to top Toronto (28-38). Donyell Marshall finished with 24 points and 10 rebounds, including two big boards off Rose misses in the final three-and-a-half minutes that he parlayed into buckets.

''I think LeBron did a great job, but Donyell Marshall was the back-breaker in this game,'' said Cavs forward Drew Gooden, who finished with 24 points and 10 rebounds.

James put on his best one-man show to try to lift the crumbling Cavs to victory, recording a franchise high in scoring, and the most points by a Raptors' opponent.

''I played well, probably the best game of my life,'' said James. ''But it means nothing when you come away with a loss. I don't care about the individual stats, especially when you lose.''

Despite being double-teamed all game long, and with Rose nattering in his ear trying to throw him off his game, the six-foot-eight, 245-pound swingman scored from all over the court, including fadewaway jumpers on one leg, and a huge second-half dunk that had the crowd roaring.

''Imagine when he gets old enough to drink,'' said Rose.

But the Cleveland star couldn't do it alone, as the Cavs (34-30) lost their ninth straight on the road.

The Raptors, who were coming off a pair of losses on the road at Boston and Detroit, led for most of the afternoon, but were only up a point heading into the fourth quarter in what was an entertaining and spirited affair.

The Cavs tied the game twice in the fourth quarter, but that was as close as they would get as Marshall's reverse layup with 2:46 left in the game capped five straight points from the Raptors forward and put Toronto up 97-90.

In the ensuing timeout Rose flapped his arms up and down to bring the sellout crowd of 19,800 at the Air Canada Centre to its feet and the fans stood the rest of the way.

James poured in eight straight points to cut the Raptors' lead to 101-98 with 44 seconds left. But Rafer Alston banked a shot off the glass with 24 seconds left, then sealed the victory with a pair of free throws. Alston finished with 16 points.

Marshall said they needed to play the Cavs like they would play the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan. Let No. 23 have his points and stop everybody else. It worked as James and Gooden combined for 80 of Cleveland's 98 points.

''We didn't let (Zydrunas) Ilgauskas get off, Drew hurt us early in the game but we a good job on him in the second half. They had to keep going to LeBron to score,'' said Marshall.

The Raptors outrebounded the Cavs 43-38, and outshot the visitors 46 per cent to 43 per cent.

But despite the Raptors' victory, after the game everyone was talking about James.

''You know, I haven't seen him be this good, but I've seen him be awfully good,'' said Cavs coach Paul Silas. ''That was something special to watch from a great player, and you've got to put him in that category if he can do what he did tonight.''

James already had 29 points by halftime, his career-high for a half, and played the entire game, shooting 18-for-36 from the field and going 6-for-12 from beyond the three-point line.

''A couple of those one-legged jumpers reminded me of another No. 23 (Jordan) I played against once or twice,'' said Rose.

Added Raptors forward Chris Bosh: ''I don't know how he does it, I don't what he does, but it was pretty impressive.''

Bosh, who missed Friday's game with a bad back, looked far from 100 per cent Sunday, finishing with 11 points and seven rebounds in 39 minutes.

Seldom-used Loren Woods started in place of Raptors rookie centre Rafael Araujo, who missed the game with the flu. Woods finished with five points.

Alston nearly came to blows with Ira Newble in the third quarter, charging Newble with fists raised after the Cavs forward had mugged him. Alston had to be restrained by the referee, and was slapped with a technical.

''I told him, I don't care who you are, you could be a Hall of Famer, the play is over, don't smack me,'' said Alston. ''I got him back. I (got a layup on him) at the end.''

The Raptors raced out to a 23-11 lead midway through the first quarter on a running dunk by Peterson. But James scored 11 points as part of a 16-7 run and the Cavs cut Toronto's lead to 30-27 at the end of the first.

James drained a three midway through the second quarter to bring the Cavaliers within 41-40, but Toronto held on to lead 55-53 at halftime.

The Cavs took a 72-69 lead, their biggest of the game, on a pair of free throws by James with 2:46 left in the third quarter. But three-pointers by Marshall and Rose gave the Raptors a 75-74 advantage going into the final quarter.

NOTES: James' scoring night was the second highest this season. Allen Iverson scored 60 for Philadelphia on Feb. 12. . . James' broke Rick Barry's record as the youngest player to score 50. Barry achieved the mark when he was 21 years old back in 1965. . . The previous high for scoring against the Raptors was the 51 points Iverson scored against Toronto on Jan. 21, 2001. . . The Raptors host Chicago on Wednesday before hitting the road for five games, with stops at Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando and Charlotte. The Raptors are just 7-26 on the road.

He played great but they lost so that sucked oh well go Cavs!!
    Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

He had a crazy performance but it doesn't help when you only get 1 point from your bench. I didn't watch the game so I don't know how the Raps or Cavs played defensively today. But the Raps are a generally poor defensive team so there's no excuse for the Cavs losing today.
      Last edited by Tru15; 03-20-2005, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Sucks for him to put in a great perfomance but not get shit from his team. Cavs aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. They are collapsing right infront of Paul Silas.
        fuck

Comment

yeah great show by lebron he said in the interview he isent big on indivdual performances if their not winning the game he said he can carelessa about his carrer game if the team dosent come up with the W
          Minnesota Vikings needs in the offseason

- QB

- Re-sign Sidney Rice

- Defensive Backs

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Smilert, 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
          4 responses