Detroit Tigers Offical FINALLY we Have a Team Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Tigers Offical FINALLY we Have a Team Thread

I have been a Tigers fan since well since Kirk Gibson was playing on Michigan and Trumbull I been through the Cecil Fielder days, The Rob I can't hit my hat size Deer, Sparky Anderson wizadry on the bench or that is at least what my dad called it, Allan Trammel's class, and the give it your all Bobby Higginson hustle plays. Finally we have a team that I can say since we had Fryman and Trammel that any fan could be proud of. So with that said this is our thread fellow Tiger fans. It is time to come out of hiding and show your support!! I will keep this thread up to date seeing as how my dad is a season ticket holder and one of the crazy pay for insider baseball information guys.
    Last edited by KINGB19; 04-04-2005, 02:27 PM.
    Take each day one step at a time.

DETROIT 11, KANSAS CITY 2 [1-0 Hell yeah

DETROIT (AP) -- Dmitri Young started the season fiercely, keeping with the theme he set last month when he boldly proclaimed: "We're the Tigers -- not the kittens."

Young became only the third player to hit three homers on opening day, and Jeremy Bonderman won as the youngest opening-day starter in the major leagues since 1986 to lead Detroit over the Kansas City Royals 11-2 Monday.

Young came out of the dugout to tip his hat to the raucous Comerica Park-record crowd of 44,105 after his third homer. Bonderman pumped his fist and walked off the mound with a confident strut after closing the second inning with his fifth strikeout.

Two years after losing an AL record 119 games, the Tigers opened with a roar.

On a sunny day with the temperature in the 60s, Young drove in five runs with the first three-homer game. Bonderman, at 22 the youngest player to start an opener since the New York Mets' Dwight Gooden in 1986, gave up one run and six hits in seven innings, and struck out seven. No Tiger that young had pitched an opener since 20-year-old Josh Billings in 1928.

Young's home run in the second inning put the Tigers ahead 1-0. He hit a two-run homer in the third for a 5-0 lead and added another two-run homer in the eighth.

Toronto's George Bell hit three homers against the Royals on opening day in 1988 and Tuffy Rhodes of the Chicago Cubs had three against the New York Mets in 1994. Those two games also were played on April 4.

The record crowd at the 5-year old ballpark -- with uncounted fans perched atop a parking garage across the street -- watched a team hoping to contend in the AL Central.

Magglio Ordonez's bat and an improved bullpen, led by free-agent acquisition Troy Percival, are expected to boost Detroit.

Ordonez went 0-for-4 with a walk and a run in his debut with the Tigers. He was the only player given a standing ovation before his first at-bat.

Jose Lima gave up five runs and six hits over three innings in his first opening day start, and 200th of his career. Thee of the hits were homers, including one by Brandon Inge.

Kansas City scored on David DeJesus' single in the fifth, but Detroit got three in the home half on a bases-loaded walk and Craig Monroe's two-run single to take an 8-1 lead.

Calvin Pickering hit a solo homer in the eighth off Ugueth Urbina.

The Royals -- who lost a franchise-worst 104 losses last year -- returned just eight players from their 2004 opening day roster
    Last edited by KINGB19; 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I've loved the Tigers since birth and lived through all those horrible 50 win seasons...now it looks like we actually can do some damage. The way I see it, we got atleast 15-18 wins better than last season, which would put us at 85-90 wins. That sounds like enough to win the Central... 11-2 win today, even though it was against K.C.
      Last edited by detroitplaya8; 04-04-2005, 02:31 PM.
      Kid Cudi
      =
      The Future

Comment

Yeah it was a great game today I just got off the phone with my Dad he was telling me about how he really thinks Bonderman is going to have a great year and that he feels they have a lineup that can compete with the big market teams.

Comment

They upgraded their pitching staff bigtime with Percival and Farnsworth, and Bonderman looked great today.
          Kid Cudi
          =
          The Future

Comment

not really a big fan but i'd like to seem do good..cubs-tigers world series :D
            GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
            You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

huge Tigers fan here...hoping for a great season this year

Comment

Originally posted by detroitplaya8
                11-2 win today, even though it was against K.C.
                the good news is how badly they played against KC past few years...hopefully they can beat the teams they should beat cause last year they were competitive with the Yankees

Comment

Da Meat Hook did his thing yesterday. Not a fan but I like the team. Their offense will be fine but their starting pitching is suspect. They have a lot of young arms and Bonderman has good stuff. I think theyll win 80 this year.
                  Originally posted by Deon
                  Can easily make threads with 1k+ views and 100+ comments

Comment

Originally posted by detroitplaya8
                    They upgraded their pitching staff bigtime with Percival and Farnsworth, and Bonderman looked great today.
                    you didn't upgrade the pitching with Percival or Farnsworth...percival is old and maybe, he'll have one more good year and thats it...farnsworth is a complete headcase...he'll look great one day, then get his ass whooped the next time..ur offense is a tiny bit better if maggs leg doesnt completely fall off..u have a better team than last year, but not by much....n please, dont do threads like this until at least ur team has played 25 games and has won 22 of those games or unless they were to sign or trade for superstar players.....if KC beat u down, wouldnt u think its crazy to think that the royals are going to do anything this year?????
                    The Movement!

G-Peezy!!1!
                    www.gp.org

Comment

Ok not bigtime, but its better than it was last year.
                      Kid Cudi
                      =
                      The Future

Comment

yea, but i wanna c ordonez do good before we can say that we REALLY can be that good
                        [CENTER]DETROIT PISTONS!!!

Comment

Did I say we were the best team in the world no I said they finally have a lineup that won't dissapoint the fans the way they have the previous couple of years. lol Percival was one of the best closers in the game a while ago and I think he can still be a solid closer not to mention that Farnsworth has a great pitching coach behind him finally. I didn't base this thread off one game I based it off of how much I finally like the Roster that the Tigers have. They have solid batting lineup and I don't see a real weak hitter for the first time. Infante is probably the worst hitter of the bunch and he is a great defensive player so I can make do with having him not hitting so well. Superstar players equal overated sometimes too I remember when we brought in Juan what a dipshit he was fucking joke of a player that definetly is not the kind of player that makes a team great. Maggilo will be back and better than ever when he gets healthy not to mention the fact that Dimitri Young is going to have another huge year.

Comment

^ yea i hope magglio has a big year without a bigtime inujury
                            [CENTER]DETROIT PISTONS!!!

Comment

5-1 royals...looks like the offense is boomin for them tigers...and the keyphrase KingB, is "was one of the best closers A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO".....im not hatin as some of my friends are diehard tigers fans and i find myself rootin for them usually.....gluck in ur season and here's hopin that maggs n boras didnt screw u guys
                              The Movement!

G-Peezy!!1!
                              www.gp.org

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 10-14-2020, 10:23 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes