X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mavericks find Finley's replacement!

By DAVID KOENIG, Associated Press Writer
    Fri Aug 19, 5:29 PM ET

DALLAS - Swingman Doug Christie signed with Dallas on Friday, as the Mavericks try to replace the recently released Michael Finley.

"We feel adding Doug Christie to our team is giving us the best chance to win a championship," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said.

That's a lot of pressure for the 35-year-old, 6-foot-6 Christie, who struggled with injuries and averaged just 6.6 points per game last year with Sacramento and Orlando.

"I just kind of look at Orlando as a blip," Christie said. He said he is healthy again and picked Dallas over other suitors because he believes he can help the team win right away.

"Obviously winning is big, obviously the chance for a championship is big, and when you take all of that into consideration with where I'm at in my career, this is a great fit," he said.

Terms of Christie's deal were not disclosed, although it was reportedly $3 million for one year with team and player options for additional seasons.

The Mavericks also announced that they signed 23-year-old DeSagana Diop to help back up the oft-maligned Erick Dampier at center. Terms were not disclosed. Diop could replace Shawn Bradley, who is expected to retire.

Diop went straight from high school to the Cleveland Cavaliers with the eighth overall pick in the 2001 NBA draft, but the 7-foot, 280-pounder was lightly used in four seasons. He averaged just 1 point and 1.8 rebounds in 7.8 minutes per game last season.

The Mavericks tinkered with their roster — also bringing back reserve point guard Darrell Armstrong and adding youngsters Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall — rather than overhauling a Dirk Nowitzki-led team that finished the regular season 16-2 under Johnson after Don Nelson resigned.

"It didn't make any sense to blow this team up and have Dirk come back and not recognize any of his teammates," Johnson said.

The Mavericks are crowded at Christie's positions of shooting guard and small forward, including sixth man Jerry Stackhouse, late-season pickup Keith Van Horn and Josh Howard. Johnson said Christie's ball-handling and passing skills will help the offense by freeing point guard Jason Terry for more shots.

Mavs fans know Christie well from playoffs against Sacramento. Two years ago, the NBA fined the Mavericks for showing a scoreboard cartoon that mocked several Kings players. It showed Christie being led on a leash by his wife.

Christie said he didn't see the video but heard about it from his wife, Jackie, who sat in the front row during Friday's news conference. She attends almost all his games. They exchange hand signals during games.

Christie said he won't worry about replacing Finley, a fan favorite who was released to save $51 million in so-called luxury taxes.

"I'm not filling Fin's shoes ... he still works hard, he's a heck of a competitor and I loved playing against him," Christie said. "Hopefully at the end of my time here you guys will think the same of me, except with some jewelry."

Email Story IM Story Discuss Printable View RECOMMEND THIS STORY
    Recommend It:

Average (10 votes)
    » Recommended Stories
    Sports News
    Prior Fans 10 As Cubs Clip Rockies 5-3 AP Torre Says Talk Won't Change His Style AP Bad Hole Costs Tiger Sole Lead at NEC AP Jury Sides With LeBron in Business Dispute AP Flutie Looks to Be Brady's Backup AP Most Viewed - Sports
    Jury Sides With LeBron in Business Dispute AP Bad Hole Costs Tiger Sole Lead at NEC AP Report: Palmeiro Offered No Explanation AP Woods double-bogey allows Donald share of NEC lead Reuters Aching T.O. to Sit Out Eagles-Ravens Game AP
    Sponsored Links( What's this? )

NBA Basketball Tickets $25 Off Today
    NBA tickets. Huge selection at great prices. All cities. Playoffs, championships. Order NBA tickets today and save $25. Click or call.
    www.nbaticket.com NBA Tickets
    A comprehensive guide to buying tickets online.
    tickets.infotrack.net Buy Your NBA Tickets at TicketCity.com
    TicketCity.com carries tickets for all NBA basketball games. Order courtside seating all online at TicketCity.com. Get your tickets for sports events, concerts and more on our secure site.
    www.ticketcity.com

Link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050819/...ricks_christie
    Soundclick.com/kilowattbeats
    Myspace.com/kilowattbeats

Good, that fruit cake is out of our division.
    =W=
    My other aliases:
    On The Shelf
    Masai
    justp1ayin
    TheMan

Comment

I know he always does these retarded signs when he scores....I heard his wife make him do them after he scores, which will never happen again hopefully.I think the article is wrong about how tall he is it says he's 6 foot 6 I always thought he was a little shorter than that.
      Last edited by Free Flesh; 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM.
      Soundclick.com/kilowattbeats
      Myspace.com/kilowattbeats

Comment

he aint shit
        shut up, bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Flesh
          I know he always does these retarded signs when he scores....I heard his wife make him do them after he scores, which will never happen again hopefully.I think the article is wrong about how tall he is it says he's 6 foot 6 I always thought he was a little shorter than that.
          yeah its their way of talkin while hes playin or something gay like that, i heard a while back they were getting their own reality tv show but i havent heard anything about it recently. anyone know whats up with that?
          Super Bowl XLI Champions

Indianapolis Colts

XBox Live Tag:
          GlazedJasonMask

Comment

This is a good signing for the mavs
            Christie will be a huge boost to their lackluster defence
            Dallas never had problem scoring but always struggled stopping the opposition from scoring down the stretch of games,that's where Christie will provide them with great defence and clutch free throws

Comment

Originally posted by 514~balla
              This is a good signing for the mavs
              Christie will be a huge boost to their lackluster defence
              Dallas never had problem scoring but always struggled stopping the opposition from scoring down the stretch of games,that's where Christie will provide them with great defence and clutch free throws
              FINALLY, someone said it. Thank you

Great pic up for Dallas
              "Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.. Thats God Damn Right"

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by vibration, Today, 12:21 AM
              0 responses
              1 view