• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarett = GONE (and OSU blows ass)

Broncos to release Maurice Clarett

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Mike Shanahan surprised the league by using a third-round draft choice on the former Ohio State running back in the final selection of the round. The Broncos coach thought he had the cutback style of running that fit in one of the league's best running systems.

As it turned out, Shanahan made a mistake and didn't want to waste time admitting it. With Tuesday's deadline for cutting the roster to 65 looming, Clarett, who never made the field in three preseason games, was let go.

Clarett first gambled that he could beat the NFL in court after applying despite not being three years out of high school. The case failed and Clarett had to sit out and wait until the 2005 season to get his chance to turn pro.

Clarett's second gamble was on his contract. He felt he was a first-round choice and wanted a contract similar to what a first-rounder would receive. To accomplish that, he tried to do get that contract with incentives. The four-year deal he pushed for included no signing bonus.

The Broncos were willing to give him a $410,000 signing bonus, but Clarett opted to push that money into workout bonuses in 2006 through 2008. Clarett agreed to only a $230,000 base salary in 2005. If he put up good numbers, Clarett had the opportunity to make $7 million over the four years of his contract.

By releasing him, the Broncos won't take any cap hit. It also appears unlikely that they would sign him to their practice squad, although that remains an option if Shanahan is interested.

For the moment, the Broncos are three deep in halfbacks. Mike Anderson is expected to be the opening day starter. Tatum Bell should be the backup, and Shanahan likes what he sees from former Giants No. 1 pick Ron Dayne.

Despite his failure in Denver, Clarett should receive some interest from other teams although it is likely teams may not want to claim his four-year contract. There is a 24-hour waiver claim period that begins Monday when he goes on the league waiver wire. If he is cleared by Tuesday at 4 p.m., Clarett is eligible to sign with any team in the league.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

He will be playing in the NFL in a year or two as a starter or back-up. He will probably be on someone's practice squad and play in NFL Europe then come to the NFL.
    Vitamin Water, Ladies and Gentlemen...Vitamin Water.

Comment

Damn, dude didn't even get a chance to perform...

Ohio State > Florida

Comment

what a waste of a 3rd round pick

Comment

Originally posted by shady rabbit
          Damn, dude didn't even get a chance to perform...

Ohio State > Florida
          we will see aout that. i think urban and our boys gonna make moves. i bet we finish higher than osu.

p.s. its too bad that Urban Meyer has been banned from d12world or else he would tell you himself.

Comment

fuck the buckeyes
            FORZA NERAZZURRI!!
            Il Biscione arrivo3;-)3

Comment

i remembered when they asked him awhile back if he was a lock in his roster spot , he then was like yeah i think im alright, lol
              shut up, bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion13
                i remembered when they asked him awhile back if he was a lock in his roster spot , he then was like yeah i think im alright, lol
                yeah i remember that too.

Comment

we'll see how all you gander fags feel when the OSU takes another national championship and beats you michigian fucks into the ground for yet another year.....Jim tressel's got your card bitches!!!!!

ps. fuck clarett, i like him about as much as one of the gander ass rammers
                  i'll holla at a fast freak that got R.Kelly name tatted on her ass cheek. ~Proof

i'm so god damn off the wall i might as well just be a painting smashed on the floor. ~EM

Comment

u need 2 run the ball in the big ten and the luckeyes backfield is weakkkkk. fuck the buckeyes till my death day is how it goes, and yet another year eh.......uve had sum sucess against UM wit tressel but think back 2 the late 90's ohio state geting beat down by the maize and blue was as constant as gravity
                    FORZA NERAZZURRI!!
                    Il Biscione arrivo3;-)3

Comment

I heard rumors that the Eagles are lookin at Clarett... they really dont need any more distractions so id be pissed if they picked him up. You gotta give credit to Shanahan tho for cutting the guy and admitting his mistake rather than riding him out through the season
                      E A G L E S

Comment

agreed OSU sucks and the one thing they will be recognized for the most is Maurice Clarett. I love it he is my hero lol 3 peat coming soon bitches!!!
                        Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by basketballeven, Today, 10:48 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post basketballeven  
                        Started by FrankCobalt, Today, 09:42 AM