NBA to ban tights next Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA to ban tights next Season?

Ok, this is getting pretty stupid with what the NBA players can/cannot wear anymore. This past summer the NBA introduced their new buisness look for players, which not only told them what to wear, but also said they weren't aloud to listen to music anymore (which is just plain stupid). Now with players liek Kobe, James, Wade, etc, wearing tights off and on this year the NBA is looking to ban those too next year. I agree that they look pretty stupid, but hey if the player has a good game with them on and wants to look stupid, go ahead..story:

League would amend uniform code to ban
    Rovell and Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

After instituting a "business casual" dress code and cracking down on the length of uniform shorts, the NBA has identified its next fashion crusade.

David Sherman/Getty Images
    D-Wade still has substance.
    League and team sources have told ESPN.com that the NBA, starting next season, intends to ban the tights sported at various points this season by several players, including three MVP candidates: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Although NBA officials are not publicly commenting on the issue, sources say that the league simply does not like the look of players wearing visible hose. It's believed that the league office, which already has regulations in place to curtail short lengths, can unilaterally outlaw tights by simply amending its uniform code before the 2006-07 season.

Sources say that the NBA informed its 30 teams at last month's competition committee meeting in Houston that tights would be banned immediately after All-Star Weekend. But the league wound up holding off on that ban, perhaps to avoid a new controversy after the initial furor sparked by the off-court dress code faded quickly and quietly.

Players who wish to wear tights are required to send the league a written request from a team doctor detailing a "medical need" for the leggings. That's because the league, according to sources, believes that some players are merely wearing them because they like the look.

The following NBA players have been spotted wearing tights this season:

• Ray Allen, Seattle
    • Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee
    • Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
    • Vince Carter, New Jersey
    • Eddy Curry, New York
    • Samuel Dalembert, Philadelphia
    • Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
    • LeBron James, Cleveland
    • Toni Kukoc, Milwaukee
    • Rashad McCants, Minnesota
    • Michael Redd, Milwaukee
    • Joe Smith, Milwaukee
    • Jerry Stackhouse, Dallas
    • Nick Van Exel, San Antonio
    • Dwyane Wade, Miami
    • Chris Webber, Philadelphia
    • Bonzi Wells, Sacramento
    • Jason Williams, Miami
    • Mo Williams, Milwaukee

Yet there are numerous players who insist that wearing full-length spandex under their uniform shorts keeps limbs warmer and looser than anything seen previously in the NBA. Dallas Mavericks swingman Jerry Stackhouse is widely seen as the pioneer of this practice, relying on a pair of runners' tights throughout last season's playoffs to combat a longstanding groin injury.

"I'm a 100-percent advocate," Stackhouse said.

That's why the 11-year veteran felt compelled to call NBA vice president Stu Jackson directly after learning of the forthcoming ban upon returning from the All-Star break. Stackhouse bristles at the notion that he's merely trying to be fashionable, pointing out that he has worn tights to every behind-closed-doors practice and shootaround until expectedly shedding them in Dallas' past three games.

"I've had a couple groin injuries and they help me get comfortable," Stackhouse said. "I wear thigh sleeves, too, and the tights also help keep them from sliding down my legs. They just hold everything together.

"When I talked to Stu, he was sympathetic. They don't want to be the ones causing guys to get hurt. But I don't know what the end result is going to be. I get the feeling they think it's some fashion statement or culture statement. It's really not. I'm just trying to take every preventative measure that I can."

Said Mavericks team physician T.O Souryal: "The tights provide compression. Compressed muscles fire efficiently, especially if injured. Players with muscle strains benefit from the improved circulation and support."

The sight of tights on an NBA player has inevitably been mocked by some -- Denver's Marcus Camby chastised peers for wearing "pantyhose" -- but became more commonplace this season after Bryant unveiled his leggings in November. James wore them briefly as well in January after injuring his knee, but the Cleveland star hasn't been seen in spandex for more than 25 games ... in part because he grew weary of answering so many questions about them. Bryant has since decided to play tights-free in the Los Angeles Lakers' past five games.

But Wade still wears them in Miami and so does New Jersey's Vince Carter. The team most devoted to the concept is Milwaukee, with five everyday tights-wearers after Joe Smith tried them first: Andrew Bogut, Toni Kukoc, Michael Redd and Maurice Williams in addition to Smith. Bogut recently told the Associated Press: "I don't like how it looks, but I don't play basketball for looks."

Smith told the AP: "It's something to keep you warm. It keeps my knee from swelling up, keeps some tightness around it so it won't blow up on me when I'm out there. It's meant a lot to me."

More than five percent of the league's players have worn tights at some stage during the season, including five of its top 10 leading scorers. At least eight players that have worn tights this year -- including Bryant, James, Redd and Carter -- are Nike-sponsored athletes, and the shoe giant now sells a "pro basic" pair of tights for $35 and a "pro thermal" pair for $50.

Stackhouse, though, supplies his own tights and has been since he came up with the idea almost a year ago. "If they ban 'em," Stackhouse said, "I'll find something else."

---Source

These fucking bans are getting out of control, we should start riots.
    NEW YORK YANKEES

Originally posted by Swizz
    sigged

Comment

this is gettin rediculous

Comment

damn maybe i could be an exe. in the nba,i ban shit all the time
        mr. poop chute banger says....
        Homeland Security Advisory System
        http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/progra...ease_0046.shtm
        is wrestling fake?
        http://www.wimp.com/fake/

Comment

^Lmao

This shit is stupid. Before you know it they will be banning the wristbands, headbands, sleeves, socks, shoes.... Ok well maybe that's a little bit of exaggeration but hell, what else can they think of banning?
          National Champion North Carolina Tarheels

Comment

the league is just trying to do anything it can to make it look better after the fight in the stands last year..this has to be the dumbest thing ive ever heard. those guys have injuries just ike the rest of us.

Comment

this is a stupid ban. As far as I know, these compression tights or whatever they are help with injuries and help to prevent injuries. So why the fuck does it matter if they wear them?
              Be Humble or Get Humbled

Comment

this is the only one of the bans that I don't agree with the attire change though I must say was easily one of the best policies put in place. It is refreshing to see millionaires actually look like actual millionaires.
                Take each day one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by revdaalkaholik
                  damn maybe i could be an exe. in the nba,i ban shit all the time
                  hahaha
                  GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
                  You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

they should ban the white players..
                    Originally posted by Tanner
                    at least youre not hungover and have to sneak out a fat 30 yr old white bitch who you were banging in your parents house last night.

Comment

Steve Nash won the MVP last year.
                      Eminem, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Red Sox, & MoeMurda

Originally posted by TtodaA
                      lol at moemuda's epic return including posting pics and mentioning Swizz
                      Originally posted by The Happy Chemical
                      this thread is legendary

Comment

I don't even follow baseketball that much, and I think this shit is hella stupid.

Comment

It's about time. That shit was homorific

Comment

whats next they gonna ban sweatbands or hell go for shoes while your at it..dumb ass NBA exe's
                            Originally posted by Tone Riggz
                            Akon has dry humped a teenage girl, tossed a kid off stage...i think for his next feat, he should diamond cutter Tito Jackson...

Comment

Originally posted by no good27
                              This shit is stupid. Before you know it they will be banning the wristbands, headbands, sleeves, socks, shoes.... Ok well maybe that's a little bit of exaggeration but hell, what else can they think of banning?
                              Originally posted by Splackavellie
                              whats next they gonna ban sweatbands or hell go for shoes while your at it..dumb ass NBA exe's
                              BITER!!!...just playin
                              National Champion North Carolina Tarheels

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by FrankCobalt, Today, 04:13 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Doro