Favre to return for 2007 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre to return for 2007 season

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre will return for his 17th NFL season, undeterred by his injuries and hoping to lead the Green Bay Packers back to the playoffs.

"I am so excited about coming back," the 37-year-old quarterback said Friday on the Web site of the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year, and that's encouraging."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson confirmed Favre had told the team he plans to return.

"The Packers are excited by his decision and look forward to a successful 2007 campaign," Thompson said in a statement.

The team scheduled a 4 p.m. ET news conference Friday.

"My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch," Favre told the Biloxi newspaper. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

The news came as a surprise to Packers CEO Bob Harlan.

"I hadn't heard it, and I hadn't seen the Biloxi paper -- not that I read the Biloxi paper every day," Harlan told The Associated Press on Friday.

Favre last left the field in an emotional scene in Chicago after leading the Packers to a victory to finish the season 8-8.

He has started 257 consecutive games including the playoffs, an NFL record for quarterbacks. Favre broke Dan Marino's record for career completions (4,967) in 2006 and is closing in on Marino's marks for career touchdown passes (420) and yards passing (61,361).

As he has done in the past several offseasons, Favre returned to his home in Mississippi after the season to deliberate about his future. Last year, Favre waited until late April to tell the team he was returning.

Favre complained about nagging injuries and the drudgery of practice toward the end of last season, then choked back tears as he talked about missing the game and missing his teammates in a television interview immediately after the regular-season finale in Chicago -- leading many to believe he intended to retire.

Apparently, he couldn't resist one more chance to try to lead the Packers back to the playoffs after the Packers won their final four games and were in playoff contention until the final weekend of the regular season.

Favre has led the Packers to 10 postseason appearances, six division titles, three NFC Championship games, two Super Bowls and one championship following the 1996 season.

Favre was acquired in a trade by former Packers general manager Ron Wolf after one season as a backup in Atlanta in 1991. He completed his first NFL pass -- to himself -- on Sept. 13, 1992, catching a deflection and losing 7 yards.

The following week, he replaced injured starter Don Majkowski in the third quarter and led the Packers to a come-from-behind 24-23 victory over Cincinnati.

Favre started in place of Majkowski on Sept. 27, 1992, beginning the streak he often has called his biggest personal accomplishment. The 237-game regular-season streak is nearly six seasons ahead of the Colts' Peyton Manning at 144.

Favre's accomplishments include winning three league MVP awards -- he shared 1997 honors with Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders -- and throwing two touchdown passes in a 35-21 victory over the New England Patriots in the 1997 Super Bowl to give the Packers their first championship in 29 years. Earlier in that championship season, Favre spent time in the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan., battling an addiction to painkillers.

Favre led the Packers back to the Super Bowl the following season, but they lost to Elway's Denver Broncos 31-24.

-espn.com
    GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
    You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

No surprise.. Glad he got this out of the way fast this year at least instead of dragging it on forever and making it real annoyiing.

Comment

Noooo...now he's going to shatter Marino's records.

Comment

^ I thought the same thing, but I think he has been playing longer, so it doesn't count, lmao. I'm glad he is coming back, he is always fun to watch play.

Comment

35-21 victory over the New England Patriots in the 1997 Super Bowl

FUCK that game I was devastated.... After we beat Jags in the AFC Title game after Terry Glenn got disgusting, then we go to the SUperbowl and I think it was Desmond Howard ran back that kick return, fuck that game....
          The Big 4
          http://youtu.be/NMMUh37BWEE The Truth
          http://youtu.be/PT_j38VUAuE Rondo
          http://youtu.be/yhTKSdWRC0I KG
          http://youtu.be/3VhwzKGkvjg Ray

Comment

Even with the emotional stuff after the last game, I just knew he was coming back. Last year was different when he let his decision to come back linger.

That's cool though, another year of Brett Favre.
            An Extremely important, interesting and facinating read.

Another one

This one's a bit crazy.

Comment

Monk > Fitz

Favre > Brady

overall... all time... ever

this just made my day that much better... i knew he was coming back but im glad to hear it's official... Favre, even tho he's not as great as he was a few years ago.. is still better than a lot of the QB's in the league... he's by far my favorite player ever in any sport... ive grown up with him and i hope when i die.. he's still the QB for Green Bay

Comment

Haha, I hope the Packers make a big offseason move to help the Pack short term. Maybe a trade for TO? That'd be pretty awesome. Brett Favre is the man.
                Vitamin Water, Ladies and Gentlemen...Vitamin Water.

Comment

donald driver shits all over TO... i would never ever want him on the Packers... i dont see him and favre getting along... give us marvin harrison he's used to rocket propelled footballs...
                  Last edited by Monk; 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Fuck Our Offense Isnt That Bad, Its Our Def That Needs Help, And Barnett Who Is Equivlant To Urlacher, Will Have That Mallet Of A Cast Off.

Hawk, Barnett, And Gbaja-Biamila Need Help...

Green Bay Packers 2007 Opponents
                    Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, St. Louis Rams, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs

Fuck We Got This... Hope We Play The Bears 1st Game Again.
                    If The Truth Is Told, The Youth Can Grow And Learn To Survive Until They Gain Control, Nobody Says You Have To Be Gangstas, Hoes, Read More, Learn More Change The Globe.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      donald driver shits all over TO... i would never ever want him on the Packers... i dont see him and favre getting along... give us marvin harrison he's used to rocket propelled footballs...
                      Donald Driver is nowhere near TO's level. He's one of the most underated receivers, but he's no TO. I think they could get along cause TO respects Favre.

Originally posted by Lazy Mikey
                      Fuck Our Offense Isnt That Bad, Its Our Def That Needs Help, And Barnett Who Is Equivlant To Urlacher, Will Have That Mallet Of A Cast Off.
                      The D played well down the stretch. Charles Woodson and Al Harris are good CBs. They need another WR, maybe trade for Randy Moss......Brett Favre has never had a superstar receiver. All his receivers he has made look good. The Saints may be releasing Joe Horn (which I hope they don't), maybe they can sign him. They need a top flight WR to go along with Donald Driver.
                      Vitamin Water, Ladies and Gentlemen...Vitamin Water.

Comment

Originally posted by em_is_real_deal View Post
                        Donald Driver is nowhere near TO's level. He's one of the most underated receivers, but he's no TO. I think they could get along cause TO respects Favre.
                        The D played well down the stretch. Charles Woodson and Al Harris are good CBs. They need another WR, maybe trade for Randy Moss......Brett Favre has never had a superstar receiver. All his receivers he has made look good. The Saints may be releasing Joe Horn (which I hope they don't), maybe they can sign him. They need a top flight WR to go along with Donald Driver.
                        Antonio Freeman...

And Al Harris Needs To Get The Fuck Off My Team, Dude Sucks Every Play... EVERYONE Burns Him... The Only Packer I HATE... Its Like He Doesnt Even Try...
                        If The Truth Is Told, The Youth Can Grow And Learn To Survive Until They Gain Control, Nobody Says You Have To Be Gangstas, Hoes, Read More, Learn More Change The Globe.

Comment

dude is a fuckin trooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Mikey View Post
                            Barnett Who Is Equivlant To Urlacher
                            LMAO. I don't need to explain why that statement is funny.

Favre must have a death wish. Two more games against the Bears? He can't take it. I guess he gonna have to leave the NFL on a stretcher.
                            Chicago Bears = NFC champions 2006

Comment

meh...he needs to retire..hes gettin too old. Yes, I am a Vikings fan.
                              You want me to watch my mouth, how?
                              Take my fuckin eyeballs out, and turn em around?

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 10-27-2020, 06:25 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Torry
                              by Torry

Started by hedas22, Today, 07:41 AM