[6/4/2008] - Mayweather Jr. retires, cancels rematch with De La Hoya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [6/4/2008] - Mayweather Jr. retires, cancels rematch with De La Hoya

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Pound-for-pound king and welterweight world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement from boxing Friday.

"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today," Mayweather, 31, said in a statement. "I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make, as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport."

The retirement means that Mayweather's scheduled Sept. 20 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya is off.

"I have been informed of Floyd's decision and I wish him good luck," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I wish him good luck in his retirement. We will move on. Sometime next week I will announce a big fight for Oscar. There are different names out there and I will be working diligently to announce in the coming days Oscar's next fight."

Bob Arum, here promoting Kelly Pavlik's middleweight defense against Gary Lockett on Saturday night, promoted Mayweather for most of his career until an acrimonious split.

Still, Arum also wished him well in retirement.

"I commend Floyd Mayweather for being so forthright," Arum said. "He's had a wonderful career. He's decided to retire and to announce publicly his intention. I think we should all applaud him for his candor and his forthrightness. Boxing is a very dangerous sport and it involves serious risk of injury every time a person steps into the ring. Floyd has accumulated a large nest egg through his fighting and promotional abilities the past couple of years and I, for one, see no reason why he should subject himself to additional risk when he appears to be set financially."

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world championships at junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3429729

Would have loved to see him box again but that's a smart decision.
    Steelers|KU Jayhawks|USC

Comment

Floyd retires, De La Hoya takes on Winner of Cotto/Margarito

By Mark Vester

During several media interviews
      Oscar De La Hoya said the three-fight retirement plan for 2008 would probably end with a December showdown with WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, provided that Cotto got past Antonio Margarito on July 26. During an interview in late April, De La Hoya called Cotto one of the best fighters in the world and expressed his desire to fight him. If I beat Mayweather, who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, my following fight has to be with one of the best and it's no secret that Miguel Cotto is one of the best in the world, De La Hoya said. He has a difficult fight with Antonio Margarito and although any thing can happen, we all know that Miguel Cotto is going to win. Of course, De La Hoya would have had to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a proposed September rematch. Not anymore. Now that Mayweather has announced his unexpected retirement, there is nothing to stand in the way of De La Hoya
      facing the winner of Cotto-Margarito much sooner
      than expected. In past interviews, Cotto has also made it known that he wants a crack at De La Hoya. Earlier this year, there were ongoing talks between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions to make a De La Hoya-Cotto bout, but the negotiations came tumbling down when De La Hoya announced that he was planning to stage a tuneup on route to a Mayweather rematch. The list of marketable opponents for De La Hoya is now slim with Mayweather out of the sport and Ricky Hatton signing a multi-fight deal with Golden Boy. There are two options, the Cotto/Margarito winner or Winky Wright. Wright is coming off a loss to Bernard Hopkins, has been inactive for almost a year, and he's never been a big ticket-seller. Cotto-Margarito is one of the most anticipated fights of the last few years. The winner will easily become the king of the welterweight division - and the perfect gem that De La Hoya needs for one last mega pay-per-view payday.

DLH > Cotto.

DLH loves pressure, he breaks down pressure fighters like you wouldn't believe.

Comment

If DLH met Cotto, I'd have to give DLH the advantage cause he's a smarter boxer. But Cotto can hit like a mufucka... sounds like a good match. It would definitely draw some numbers, and set up Cotto for future money.
        =W=
        My other aliases:
        On The Shelf
        Masai
        justp1ayin
        TheMan

Comment

Too bad Mayweather doesn't have the passion to fight anymore. I love the way he boxes. Oh well I guess.
          Oh Shit FREE
          Recovery on Amazon
          I'm On Twitter

Comment

I'm glad the rematch is canceled as it was just a waste of time, but damn I really hope this doesn't stick. There really aren't many legacy building fights left out there for Floyd, but imo he needs to fight Cotto before he hangs em up for good.

As for DLH v. Cotto, I don't see how anyone could list DLH as the clear cut favorite. The only advantage Oscar holds is size, thats it...every other advantage lies with Cotto. Don't fool yourself dip, Cotto is much more than a simple pressure fighter. Take a look at his fight against SSM, Cotto didn't pressure Shane, he outboxed him. Oscar on the other hand is known for coming up short in the big fights, and all though I wouldn't completely count him out, my money would surely be riding with Miguel Cotto.
            Last edited by Mr.Chubbs; 06-08-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Hatton rejects Oscar fight!

Monday, June 9 2008

IBO 140lb champion Ricky Hatton will not step in for retired Floyd Mayweather in a big money bout against his promoter Oscar de la Hoya in September. Hatton's father and business manager told BBC Sport that "The Hitman" is focused on a November fight with IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi. Other names bandied about in the media as Oscar's new opponent include Winky Wright and the winner between Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito. An announcement is expected this week from Golden Boy regarding Oscar's plans. Team Hatton, meanwhile, is relishing the possibility of a clash with Manny Pacquiao, should he win the WBC 135lb crown against David Diaz.
              DLH is all talk when it comes to fighting Cotto, he doesn't want anything to do when it comes to stepping in the ring with him...he wants to leave the sport with a win, not a beatdown.

Oscar said he wanted to fight Cotto after the Mayweather bout, but quickly turned his attention to Hatton until Mayweather sent him flying into the turnbuckle. Now that Mayweather has retired he once again turned his attention to Hatton, who is coming off a less than impressive victory and would be at a huge size advantage against DLH. Hatton has no business at 147lbs, let alone 150 or 154lbs. First Mayweather, then Forbes and Hatton, all guys who belong at 140lbs and under, time to step it up Oscar and fight someone your own size or retire.

We'll see what happens, Oscar might get pinned into a corner and have no choice but to fight the Cotto/Margo winner as I don't really see him fighting Wright, who hasn't fought since losing to Hopkins and has little to no drawing power.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Deborahlanker, 06-03-2021, 08:33 PM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Glenedelstein  
              Started by Omaha17, 11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
              1 response