Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs Mosley May 1st

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4870999

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have agreed to terms for a welterweight super fight, Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe said Friday.

Although the contracts are not signed, "all of the deal points have been agreed to," Ellerbe said. "We still have to put pen to paper, but everything is agreed to. It's with the lawyers. Shane is a great fighter, one of the best of his era, and so is Floyd. It's going to be a great fight. It's a fight fans have wanted to see for a long time."

Assuming the paperwork is signed, Mosley will defend his welterweight title against Mayweather on May 1 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Ellerbe said that he expected the paperwork to be completed in the next few days with a formal announcement likely next week.

The fight came together after an unexpected turn of events.

First, Mayweather became available for a fight three weeks ago when negotiations with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao disintegrated. They had agreed to all terms for a March 13 fight that loomed as the biggest in boxing -- except for a drug testing protocol.

They had agreed to random urine testing, but Mayweather also wanted random blood testing, even though that is not required under the rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Pacquiao agreed only to three blood tests, but none within 24 days of the fight, and the third one immediately after the bout.

Mayweather has alluded to Pacquiao using performance-enhancing drugs, even though he has never produced any evidence, and Floyd Mayweather Sr. has outright said he believes Pacquiao uses.

The rancor over the drug testing issue caused the fight to fall apart and Pacquiao moved on. He will defend his version of the 147-pound title against former titlist Joshua Clottey on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Then Mosley became available two weeks ago. He was scheduled to meet Andre Berto in a title unification bout at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Saturday night. However, Berto, a Haitian-American, withdrew from the bout after eight members of his extended family were killed in the earthquake in Haiti.

Immediately after the cancellation of Mosley-Berto, Mosley and Mayweather -- the former welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king until giving up the mantle during a brief retirement -- began negotiating.

"The negotiations were very cordial and went very smoothly," Ellerbe said.

Mosley has agreed to undergo random blood and urine testing, as has Mayweather, Ellerbe said.

Mosley has admitted to using PEDs and was connected to the BALCO scandal. Although he publicly denied using PEDs for years, Mosley admitted during grand jury testimony, which was later released, that he used designer steroids "the clear" and "the cream" and injected himself with EPO, a blood oxygen enhancer, during the lead-up to his 2003 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Mosley said he took the steroids unknowingly.

"Floyd only wants to be sure of an even playing field no matter who he fights," Ellerbe said.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), a five-division champion, and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), a three-division champion, have seemingly been on a collision course since the late 1990s, when Mosley was lightweight champion and Mayweather was junior lightweight champion.

Although their careers took different paths, talk of a potential fight heated back up in 2006 after Mosley's two knockouts of Fernando Vargas, but talks never got too serious.

However, Mosley stepped up his call for a fight with Mayweather, 32, last year after Mayweather ended his 18-month retirement. After Mayweather easily beat lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in a lopsided decision in September, Mosley crashed his post-fight interview in the ring and called him out to his face.

It didn't look like Mosley would get the fight because two months later, Pacquiao knocked out Miguel Cotto and talks began for Pacquiao-Mayweather.

Mosley, 38, hasn't fought since last January, when he upset Antonio Margarito to win his title via ninth-round knockout.
    Oh Shit FREE
    Recovery on Amazon
    I'm On Twitter

will probably end up falling through
    Originally posted by Black Thought
    If you stand where I stood, you could probably understand
    How that mic feeling like a million dollars in my hand

Comment

This cant possibly be true, I thought Mayweather was a pussy, scared to fight true welterweights, especially SSM, hasn't Floyd been ducking him for years?

Comment

great, now we gotta wait 2 years for him to fight Pacman

Comment

Mosley's getting ass fucked
          GO CUBS

I make rappers cry, onions
          You can't walk in my shoes, bunions

Comment

Originally posted by Nasen View Post
            great, now we gotta wait 2 years for him to fight Pacman

The idea as long as both fighters win there respective fights the Mayweather/Pacman fight will be towards the end of this year.
            Oh Shit FREE
            Recovery on Amazon
            I'm On Twitter

Comment

mayweather will win probably by decision, maybe knockout. that n1gga undefeated
              keyboard warrior at its finest
              most truthfully
              snap your neck in a heart beat
              run for the hills asap, afraid geek
              omfg rofl kid need to slit wrist asap son

Comment

Mosey is powerful but i don't think hes fast enough for Money May

Comment

Mayweather-Mosley is on

It’s official. Six-time world champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather made his upcoming fight with welterweight mega-star and five-time world champion Sugar Shane Mosley, official today when he signed the contract that pits the two fighters against each other on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a mega-bout which will be televised live on HBO Pay-Per-View. “This one is definitely for the fans as I wasn’t going to waste anyone’s time with a meaningless tune-up bout and asked to fight Shane immediately,” said Mayweather. “I have said ever since I came back to the sport that I only wanted to fight the best. I think Shane is one of the best, but come May 1, he still won’t be great enough to beat me.”

“I have always wanted to fight Floyd and now it is finally coming true,” said Mosley, who signed his side of the deal last Friday in Las Vegas. “I am already in great shape and ready to show everyone on May 1 that I am stronger, faster and better than he is. I will have no problem beating him.”

In addition to the fight being one of the most competitive and talked about contests in each of the fighters’ careers, Mayweather and Mosley have agreed to Olympic-style drug testing for the fight.

“Floyd has been trying to make this fight for the last 10 years, so he is extremely excited about the opportunity to face Shane,” said Leonard Ellerbe, CEO, Mayweather Promotions. “He can’t wait to extend his undefeated record and perform at the highest level. More importantly, he is also happy to set the precedent for random blood testing in order to ensure fair and safe contests for all fighters.”

“When two champions of this caliber meet in the ring, you can expect nothing but excellence and that is what we are going to see on May 1,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO, Golden Boy Promotions. “Shane Mosley is one of the greatest fighters of this era and I commend him for not only agreeing to the fight against Mayweather, but also agreeing to participate in a testing process that can only help the integrity of the sport.”

“Mayweather-Mosley is a showdown of superstars that fans have been talking about for years”, said Mark Taffet of HBO Pay-Per-View. “It has all the elements of a pay-per-view mega-fight.”

A 1996 Olympic Bronze medalist for the United States, Floyd Mayweather (40-0, 25 KO’s) has since gone on to strike Gold in the professional ranks, winning six world titles in five weight classes to firmly establish himself as one of the most elite fighters of his era. With dominating wins over the likes of world champions Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Oscar de la Hoya and Ricky Hatton, Mayweather was on a meteoric rise to hall of fame greatness when he announced his retirement from the ring in 2008. But he left the door open for a return if the right challenge presented itself and after 18 months of a much needed physical and emotional break from the ring, he returned to boxing on September 19, 2009 with a dominating and spectacular victory over future Hall of Famer Juan Manuel Marquez.

A future Hall of Famer with five world titles to his name, Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO’s) has ruled the lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight divisions over his storied 16-year career and at 38 years old, the Pomona, Calif. native seems to be getting better and better as the years pass. Winner of seven of his last eight fights dating back to 2005, Mosley has defeated the likes of Fernando Vargas (twice), Luis Collazo and Ricardo Mayorga, but his most recent victory also was one of his most spectacular — a ninth round stoppage of Antonio Margarito in January 2009 to win the welterweight world title for the third time.

The 12-round welterweight battle is a highly competitive match-up that already has sports fans across the world buzzing to see two of the sport’s biggest names meet in the squared circle in the premier boxing match-up of 2010.

More information on Mayweather vs. Mosley, including ticket prices, HBO Pay- Per- View information and press tour dates and cities, will be announced shortly.

Comment

Chubbs you beat me.. lol

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ey-boxing.html
                    Oh Shit FREE
                    Recovery on Amazon
                    I'm On Twitter

Comment

Can't wait for this fight! I know I'm probably in the minority, but for me this is just as interesting a fight as Pac, and likely the more difficult, and the promotion, e.g. 24/7, will be much more entertaining. Plus, if Mayweather can get by SSM, he holds the upper hand in future negotiations with Pac.

Comment

Mosley was getting caught quite a few times by slow Margarito so Floyd will be catching with him with his lead rights all fight long, especially since Mosley foot work not being the same no more.

Mosley's power can cause Floyd problems though but still i think Floyd will win by unanimous decision.

Comment

my main homeslive flloyd finna knock thois pussy the ffuck out

Comment

Originally posted by Big L R.I.P View Post
                            Mosley was getting caught quite a few times by slow Margarito so Floyd will be catching with him with his lead rights all fight long, especially since Mosley foot work not being the same no more.

Mosley's power can cause Floyd problems though but still i think Floyd will win by unanimous decision.
                            Yeah, Mosley has always been there to be hit, nothing new there. He really fits the mold of a Mexican brawler, who happens to possess blazing hand speed. Your right about his footwork though, his movement shows his age, and could be a big disadvantage against Mayweather. This is why as impressive a victory the Margarito win was, it could have been a bit of a mirage. Not only is Margarito easy to hit and slow as molasses, but he was also likely mentally defeated before he entered the ring after being caught using illegal wraps.

Still, Mosley is arguably the best fighter Mayweather has ever faced, and could pose some problems. He has great stamina, so the usual Mayweather slow start where he feels out his opponent while waiting for them to fatigue a bit before really opening up would play into the hands of the fast starting Mosley.

Undoubtedly, Mosley, like so many before him, will look to apply pressure and make Floyd fight, but that's easier said then done. However, I don't see Shane respecting the power of Mayweather, at least at the start of the fight. Add that to his great speed, stamina, power, and body punching, and he could have some success pressuring, especially if Mayweather sits against the ropes too often.

It will be interesting to see how Mosley utilizes the jab, a punch that has given Mayweather some problems in the past. Mosley has a decent jab when he commits to it, but more times then not he paws with it as a range finder. He would be well served to jab often with authority to upset Mayweathers timing.

Comment

Mayweather: "Power and Speed Won't Help Mosley Win."
                              http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25175

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Lurker07, 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Allanmathew  
                              Started by Kiryanvasez, Today, 05:05 AM