Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricardo Arona to debut in the UFC by the end of 2010

http://www.fightline.com/news/fl/201...na/index.shtml

Former Pride light heavyweight Ricardo Arona is looking to return to MMA this summer after suffering a knee injury and is looking to have his next fight take place in the UFC.

“I can’t talk about this project right now, but there’s a connection between me and the UFC now,” Arona told Tatame.com about his return.

Arona was the first light heavyweight to defeat Wanderlei Silva in Pride during Silva’s five-year unbeaten streak at 205lbs.

With the recent addition of “The Best of Pride Fighting Championships”, many fans will get to know who the former Pride fighters are, including Arona.

Once regarded as one of the best 205lbs. fighters in the world, Arona is confident that a deal with get done with the world’s premier MMA promotion as soon as he’s fully recovered.

“My return will be in the end of the year and will be in the UFC,” Arona confirmed
    Originally posted by Helmz
    This album Is my shit.
    Everybody should download this.
    If you ain't feelin it.
    Then stick to R&B bitches.
    AO kills shit.
    www.myspace.com/sevenmethods
    Get at me

i dont think he will be much of a factor in the division tbh...

i say throw him in there with Jardine to see where hes at
    No regrets, nicca no regards
    I know the bar, raise mine, yall can lower yalls
    What I lack in talent, I normally show in heart
    Prolly why they want the encore before the show can start

Comment

Throwing him in there with Jardine is an insult.

EDIT: ^ OK, let me rephrase this.

Jardine isn't a bad fighter and Arona is coming off a long injury. But Arona certainly has the credentials to fight someone like Rashad or supposed top contender Thiago Silva. I think Jardine is on thin ice and he needs a win. He has fought nothing but top guys so he needs a gimme to get back to his winning ways.
      Last edited by AlpHa_OmegA; 01-23-2010, 04:38 AM.
      This album Is my shit.
      If you ain't feelin it.
      AO kills shit.
      Get at me

Comment

very good fighter but i don't know how much he's got in him left after being away for so long..
        Everybody sound same; commercialize the game, reminiscing when it wasn’t all business.

If Hip Hop should die, we die together.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpHa_OmegA View Post
          Throwing him in there with Jardine is an insult.

EDIT: ^ OK, let me rephrase this.

Jardine isn't a bad fighter and Arona is coming off a long injury. But Arona certainly has the credentials to fight someone like Rashad or supposed top contender Thiago Silva. I think Jardine is on thin ice and he needs a win. He has fought nothing but top guys so he needs a gimme to get back to his winning ways.
          no. The dude just had trouble with Marvin Eastman a guy who should be fighting at 185 throwing him in with Rashad or Thiago is an insult to both of them...

again you need to stop focusing on fighters "credentials" and see what they've actually done lately, we can consider Cro Cop top 5 too because of his credentials

u wernt saying it was an insult to Rampage or Thiago when they were put in there against Jardine...

doesnt make much sense

actually they should throw him in with maybe Bonnar on a FN card to get him some exposure

Comment

Originally posted by Redsoxx View Post
            no. The dude just had trouble with Marvin Eastman a guy who should be fighting at 185 throwing him in with Rashad or Thiago is an insult to both of them...
            again you need to stop focusing on fighters "credentials" and see what they've actually done lately, we can consider Cro Cop top 5 too because of his credentials
            u wernt saying it was an insult to Rampage or Thiago when they were put in there against Jardine...
            doesnt make much sense
            actually they should throw him in with maybe Bonnar on a FN card to get him some exposure
            What has Jardine actually done lately, though?

Thiago was coming off a brutal KO loss when he fought Jardine and Jardine was coming off a win when he fought Rampage. I have no problem with Jardine. I actually like him and it's unfortunate he can't catch a break. He fights nothing but top competition.

Rampage had trouble with Marvin Eastman, too. And he got a title shot immediately after that win. Arona had ring rust. He's been injured for quite some time. What do you expect him to have done lately when he was sidelined by injury?

And even bringing up Bonnar is a definite slap in the face. Thiago would be more suited for Arona right now imo. That's a very intriguing matchup imo. Much more suited than Jardine. But this is just my opinion of course and we can always agree to disagree.

And I bring up credentials because without them you haven't proven anything. Arona has proven he can beat the best guys in the world. He was the first LHW to beat Wanderlei in 5 years. We know what he is capable of.
            Last edited by AlpHa_OmegA; 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM.
            This album Is my shit.
            If you ain't feelin it.
            AO kills shit.
            Get at me

Comment

bringing up Bonnar isnt a slap in the face at all, dude is a tough guy, especially to introduce him to the fans with...

im just telling u what the UFC is going to do...

they wont throw him in there with any top 5-10 fighter, it will be against a gate keeper, such as Jardine or Bonnar...

neither are a slap in the face and both are a big step up from Eastman...

you'll see

hell maybe even Bader or Cane all guys that would beat Sokoudjou who beat him down in the fight b4 Eastman

it will not be Thiago or especially not Rashad unless he gets brutally Ko'd by Rampage

wait Rampage had trouble with Eastman? i must have been watching the wrong fight

Comment

bringing up Bonnar isnt a slap in the face at all, dude is a tough guy, especially to introduce him to the fans with...
                im just telling u what the UFC is going to do...
                they wont throw him in there with any top 5-10 fighter, it will be against a gate keeper, such as Jardine or Bonnar...
                neither are a slap in the face and both are a big step up from Eastman...
                you'll see
                hell maybe even Bader or Cane all guys that would beat Sokoudjou who beat him down in the fight b4 Eastman
                it will not be Thiago or especially not Rashad unless he gets brutally Ko'd by Rampage
                wait Rampage had trouble with Eastman? i must have been watching the wrong fight
                Bonnar is a tough guy, yes. A good fighter? Not so much. Not terrible, but definitely not very good.

And to be honest, I consider Thiago a gate keeper. Especially after that laughable performance in his last fight. Not finishing that fight was inexcusable imo.

And Soukoudjou knocked out Lil Nog. What's the point? Soukoudjou can pull a rabbit out of the hat once in a while. You'd be hard pressed to tell me Lil Nog isn't top 5. I think Lil Nog would destroy just about everybody in the division. Only guys I can see him having trouble with are Rampage, Shogun (would be an epic fucking rematch btw) and Machida.

And yes, Rampage had trouble with Eastman. Up until the KO it was a pretty close fight. Shit, Eastman beat Rampage in the past. So it really doesn't help the point either way.

Not to mention ring rust is a bitch. I have a feeling Arona will get over the ring rust and I think he can still be a force. Maybe not a champion, but I can see him hanging out in the top 10.
                Last edited by AlpHa_OmegA; 01-24-2010, 07:09 PM.
                This album Is my shit.
                If you ain't feelin it.
                AO kills shit.
                Get at me

Comment

Lil Nog has won 6 fights since the Soko fight...

Arona has fought once so u cant really know what Arona has left, thats why im positive they will be throwing him a gate keeper...

which isnt an insult nor a slap in the face...

ring rust is a bitch yes, another reason why he wont be fighting anyone in the top 10 for his first fight in the UFC
                  mark my words

dont know why u are bringing up Rampage's fight with Eastman

10 years ago, a few weeks after his 22nd birthday...

Rampage knocked out Eastman and it didnt look like he had much trouble at all

Comment

They might put him in with a gatekeeper. I just think he deserves better competition. We know what he is capable of but you're right, they probably want him to shake the ring rust. But Thiago is a gate keeper. And I would really want to see that fight to be honest. If Arona get's Thiago down like Rashad did, he will submit him imo. I know Thiago is a black belt but being a black belt doesn't mean what it used to. But Arona really needs to work on his stand up.

But Stephan Bonnar is absolutely out of the question imo. THAT would be an insult either way you look at it imo.

And Rampage had a much more difficult time with Eastman than he did Chuck. Even he admitted the fight was more difficult than it should have been. He said because he was nervous. Regardless, it was no steam roll.
                    This album Is my shit.
                    If you ain't feelin it.
                    AO kills shit.
                    Get at me

Comment

i think they could put him in with Bonnar who is the ultimate gatekeeper imo, all his UFC losses are to guys who are in the top 10 and the other 2 are too Jones who should be in the top 10 and Coleman who is getting a shot at Couture after he beat Bonnar. Plus he has a win over Jardine. Hes a step up from Eastman easily imo

my guess is he will fight any of these fighters, Luis Cane, Bader, Jardine, loser of Jones/Vera, loser of Coleman or Couture if they dont retire or Krystoff

i dont think they will have Thiago fight Arona because Thiago is a top 10 fighter atm, he almost finished Rashad and what he did was stupid but if he had come with more cardio he would have put away the former champ. I dont consider any top 10 fighter a gate keeper either.

i think Thiago should fight Lil Nog next but i heard Nog was fighting Forrest in his next fight so we'll see

Comment

i think they could put him in with Bonnar who is the ultimate gatekeeper imo, all his UFC losses are to guys who are in the top 10 and the other 2 are too Jones who should be in the top 10 and Coleman who is getting a shot at Couture after he beat Bonnar. Plus he has a win over Jardine. Hes a step up from Eastman easily imo
                        my guess is he will fight any of these fighters, Luis Cane, Bader, Jardine, loser of Jones/Vera, loser of Coleman or Couture if they dont retire or Krystoff
                        i dont think they will have Thiago fight Arona because Thiago is a top 10 fighter atm, he almost finished Rashad and what he did was stupid but if he had come with more cardio he would have put away the former champ. I dont consider any top 10 fighter a gate keeper either.
                        i think Thiago should fight Lil Nog next but i heard Nog was fighting Forrest in his next fight so we'll see
                        Lil Nog would completely wreck Thiago imo. Thiago showed he needs to work on his cardio and take down defense before he's put in with a top 5 fighter. I've always thought Thiago was a bit overrated. Not that he's bad, but a lot of people were hyping him up to be one of the best in the world which I disagree with.

Personally I can't wait to see Lil Nog Vs Shogun 2. We all know it's going to happen. Whether Shogun beats Machida or not. I would LOVE to see a rematch for the title if Shogun wins (which in my mind is going to happen).

A fight with Forrest would be cool but personally I think Lil Nog would win that. He's got better hands, he's quicker and has a better ground game (although I guess we all thought the same things about Shogun, too. Can't count Forrest out but...). Would be a cool match up, though. Probably the one that makes the most sense, too.
                        This album Is my shit.
                        If you ain't feelin it.
                        AO kills shit.
                        Get at me

Comment

meh i dont think Lil Nog would completely wreck Thiago i think it would be a very good fight. If Rashad had trouble with him i dont think Lil Nog would destroy him...

i think it would be an interesting fight especially if Thiago's cardio was there.

i think Lil Nog beats Forrest, even Forrest said in a recent interview that, that was a terrible matchup for him but that he would take the fight

Comment

meh i dont think Lil Nog would completely wreck Thiago i think it would be a very good fight. If Rashad had trouble with him i dont think Lil Nog would destroy him...
                            i think it would be an interesting fight especially if Thiago's cardio was there.
                            i think Lil Nog beats Forrest, even Forrest said in a recent interview that, that was a terrible matchup for him but that he would take the fight
                            Yeah Forrest will fight anybody. Got to respect that.

An honestly Rashad didn't have much trouble with Thiago. He got caught in the 3rd round but the first 2 rounds were landslides.

But I still think Thiago would get wrecked by Lil Nog. I don't really see an area Thiago has him in except maybe GnP. But Lil Nog is not Houston Alexander.

I'll have to see how Thiago comes back. If he gets his conditioning in order and works on his take down defense he can make some waves. But at this point I don't see him as a top contender.

Would still be an interesting match up style wise, though. Both guys are aggressive and both like to stand.
                            This album Is my shit.
                            If you ain't feelin it.
                            AO kills shit.
                            Get at me

Comment

1. Sokodjou can be a fucking monster, canty believe how big he is in person

2. Arona, I think he is not ready to go against Rashad or Thiago, and it wouldnt be best for the UFC if they want to help him

I say give him someone like Bonnar, or Jardine, and hope the good jardine turns up, that could cause trouble for him

I really want to see Jonny Jones go against Arona and spinning back fist ko him

ps. thiago is definitley over rated
                              Buddhism is the shiiiiittttt

When Buddha can't help, I ask , What would BARNEY STINSON do ?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story."

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ROYALBRAR, 07-21-2021, 07:32 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post AleksShamles  
                              Started by Campt1971, Yesterday, 03:51 AM
                              0 responses