Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilbert Melendez Vs Shinya Aoki on April's CBS card

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...10867&zoneid=3

Gilbert Melendez will get his wish and face Shinya Aoki on CBS.

The Strikeforce lightweight champion will return to action in April to face the Dream lightweight champion in a marquee fight on the promotion’s return to network TV.

The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Monday by sources close to the fight. Finalization of the fight was first reported by Josh Gross of SI.com.

After winning back the Strikeforce lightweight title in December, Melendez spoke with MMAWeekly Radio about his desire to face Aoki in the near future, so much so that he began dreaming about it.

"All of a sudden this year, I avenged both my losses. I cleaned my slate. I beat Rodrigo Damm, a tough guy, I'm the champ again, and now they're talking about me fighting the No. 2 guy in the world," Melendez stated. "One win away from being top five in the world again.

"The night I got home after fighting Josh, I promise, I had a dream of Aoki that same night."

Since losing to Thomson in 2008, Melendez has been on a tear, defeating Rodrigo Damm, Mitsuhiro Ishida, and then a rematch with Thomson to regain the 155-pound title. Now ready to solidify his place among the best lightweights in the world, he faces the fighter currently seated at No. 2, according to the MMAWeekly.com World MMA Rankings.

Shinya Aoki has proven to be one of the most dangerous ground fighters to ever step foot in an MMA fight. The Japanese fighter has defeated some of the best lightweights in the world including Eddie Alvarez, Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro, and Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante.

The submission machine is just coming off of a win over Mizuto Hirota in Japan, in which Aoki finished the fight with an armbar that looked to almost twist his opponent's limb off his body, causing a grotesque break, before flashing an obscene gesture in celebration.

The bout between Melendez and Aoki is the third major fight Strikeforce has signed recently. Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson was confirmed last week, and just today Gegard Mousasi was slotted to face Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal as well.

Jake Shields Vs Dan Henderson
    Shinya Aoki Vs Gilbert Melendez
    Gegard Mousasi Vs Mo Lawal

Pretty solid card. The showtime one is looking better, though.
    Originally posted by Helmz
    This album Is my shit.
    Everybody should download this.
    If you ain't feelin it.
    Then stick to R&B bitches.
    AO kills shit.
    www.myspace.com/sevenmethods
    Get at me

I hope Gil KOs Aoki in a brutal fashion..Aoki is a piece of dog sh*t
    MayheM Monkey #833
    WAR DIAZ BROS.
    WORD=BORN

Comment

got Mousasi and Hendo...not a huge fan of Shields, love his camp just he's ehhh...always been a big Hendo fan...and how can you not be a fan of both Mousasi and King Mo?
      MayheM Monkey #833
      WAR DIAZ BROS.
      WORD=BORN

Comment

I think a lot of people are counting Shields out too easily. I'm a big Hendo fan but he's not exactly in his prime anymore. He's still a monster, though, dont get me wrong. And if this thing touches the ground, Shields can submit almost anybody in the world. That's gonna be a good fight.
        This album Is my shit.
        If you ain't feelin it.
        AO kills shit.
        Get at me

Comment

Shields is just a lot smaller I believe and Hendo aint Lawler, Hendo is heads and shoulds better in every aspect except bjj
          MayheM Monkey #833
          WAR DIAZ BROS.
          WORD=BORN

Comment

i didnt think about it at first but i guess this card is just gonna have 3 main card fights with the possibility of all 3 of them going 5 rounds...Strikeforce is gonna probley tape a prelim in case one of the fights ends early which is very likely
            No regrets, nicca no regards
            I know the bar, raise mine, yall can lower yalls
            What I lack in talent, I normally show in heart
            Prolly why they want the encore before the show can start

Comment

Originally posted by Redsoxx View Post
              i didnt think about it at first but i guess this card is just gonna have 3 main card fights with the possibility of all 3 of them going 5 rounds...Strikeforce is gonna probley tape a prelim in case one of the fights ends early which is very likely
              You have a point, actually. I didn't think about that, either. Strikeforce: Fedor Vs Rogers went like 40 minutes over it's scheduled time and it had 4 fights. so 3 fights with commercial breaks could very well be the time slot they're shooting for.

And Cutthroat, I agree Hendo is better in every aspect except BJJ, but that's all it takes for Shields. The dude's jitsu is deadly and he can catch just about anyone at any given time. I don't expect him to KO Hendo. Not in a million years. But his jitsu is sick with it.
              This album Is my shit.
              If you ain't feelin it.
              AO kills shit.
              Get at me

Comment

JS' best chance is getting a submission, but Hendo is favourite without a doubt

hope mousasi rapes mo
                Buddhism is the shiiiiittttt

When Buddha can't help, I ask , What would BARNEY STINSON do ?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story."

Comment

Originally posted by AlpHa_OmegA View Post
                  And Cutthroat, I agree Hendo is better in every aspect except BJJ, but that's all it takes for Shields. The dude's jitsu is deadly and he can catch just about anyone at any given time. I don't expect him to KO Hendo. Not in a million years. But his jitsu is sick with it.
                  No doubt...hey I'm a fan of both, obviously if your in Diaz's Camp I'm a fan...just Jake, the poor guy, is sooo boring...I hate to bag on him but he's a dud...yeah only way he wins is by subbing a tired Hendo thoug...he won't catch Hendo in the 1st...I hope Hendo doesn't gas like he did against Silva and he'll be cool...Lawler and Hendo are on completely different levels too, remember...
                  MayheM Monkey #833
                  WAR DIAZ BROS.
                  WORD=BORN

Comment

Originally posted by CutthroatCourier View Post
                    No doubt...hey I'm a fan of both, obviously if your in Diaz's Camp I'm a fan...just Jake, the poor guy, is sooo boring...I hate to bag on him but he's a dud...yeah only way he wins is by subbing a tired Hendo thoug...he won't catch Hendo in the 1st...I hope Hendo doesn't gas like he did against Silva and he'll be cool...Lawler and Hendo are on completely different levels too, remember...
                    Shields is a bit boring but fuck it, at least he's a finisher. Unlike most boring fighters.

I agree it's gonna be very difficult to sub Hendo in the first. Shit, even Big Nog had a miserable time doing it in their 2nd fight. And Hendo completely nullified Belfort's BJJ in their fight. Hendo really does have an underrated ground game.

According to Hendo the weight cut really hurt him in the fight with Silva. Word was he cut 20lbs fight week. So I doubt he'll make that mistake again with Silva.
                    This album Is my shit.
                    If you ain't feelin it.
                    AO kills shit.
                    Get at me

Comment

man what a great card on paper.. im fuckin pumped.. mostly about the aoki v melendez fight..

aoki is one of my favourites.. i just love how he can beat so many great fighters by being one dimensional in this day and age.. dude is a fuckin beast.. best jits in the game bar none. i love him (regardless of his antics during his last fight) Hirota was shitting on him pre-fight talkin shit loads of smack and aoki just said imma fuck you up and he did.. so yeah.. he was like suck this now.. you can imagine how it is in the heat of the moment.. Aoki copped a lot of sanctions because of what he did.

Melendez is probably Aoki's toughest opponent to date. Dude never ever stops. It's going to be one hell of a chess match that fight.. man i'm pumped. Aoki's got it tough but he'll pull through..

Shields v Hendo.. Hendo is favourite but do not count Shields out. Dude just knows how to win. So another tough fight..

Mousasi v Mo.. shit keeps gettin better.. this is going to be excitement x20.. both fighters on the up.. abviously mosasi has been more impressive and all.. but mo is not to be fucked with.. dude is dangerous.. very dangerous opponent for mousasi..

I'm pumped for this shit.. great motherfuckin card.

Edit: when is the date for this shit?
                      Everybody sound same; commercialize the game, reminiscing when it wasn’t all business.

If Hip Hop should die, we die together.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpHa_OmegA View Post
                        Shields is a bit boring but fuck it, at least he's a finisher. Unlike most boring fighters.
                        I agree it's gonna be very difficult to sub Hendo in the first. Shit, even Big Nog had a miserable time doing it in their 2nd fight. And Hendo completely nullified Belfort's BJJ in their fight. Hendo really does have an underrated ground game.
                        According to Hendo the weight cut really hurt him in the fight with Silva. Word was he cut 20lbs fight week. So I doubt he'll make that mistake again with Silva.
                        Shields a finisher? Come on bro...Just peep the fightfinder...
                        I didnt know he cut that much...he walks around at 200+...thats stupid of him especially for a title...
                        edit: big fan of Hendo but more of a fan of hating Bisping, lol
                        MayheM Monkey #833
                        WAR DIAZ BROS.
                        WORD=BORN

Comment

Originally posted by kriminal.pro View Post
                          man what a great card on paper.. im fuckin pumped.. mostly about the aoki v melendez fight..

aoki is one of my favourites.. i just love how he can beat so many great fighters by being one dimensional in this day and age.. dude is a fuckin beast.. best jits in the game bar none. i love him (regardless of his antics during his last fight) Hirota was shitting on him pre-fight talkin shit loads of smack and aoki just said imma fuck you up and he did.. so yeah.. he was like suck this now.. you can imagine how it is in the heat of the moment.. Aoki copped a lot of sanctions because of what he did.

Melendez is probably Aoki's toughest opponent to date. Dude never ever stops. It's going to be one hell of a chess match that fight.. man i'm pumped. Aoki's got it tough but he'll pull through..

Shields v Hendo.. Hendo is favourite but do not count Shields out. Dude just knows how to win. So another tough fight..

Mousasi v Mo.. shit keeps gettin better.. this is going to be excitement x20.. both fighters on the up.. abviously mosasi has been more impressive and all.. but mo is not to be fucked with.. dude is dangerous.. very dangerous opponent for mousasi..

I'm pumped for this shit.. great motherfuckin card.

Edit: when is the date for this shit?
                          I'd be SHOCKED if he subs Gil, being he is a f-ing Gracie fighter and they just dont tap...Shields knows how to win by laying...cough...I mean controlling his opponent...cant knock it though...get that win money
                          MayheM Monkey #833
                          WAR DIAZ BROS.
                          WORD=BORN

Comment

Originally posted by CutthroatCourier View Post
                            Shields a finisher? Come on bro...Just peep the fightfinder...
                            I didnt know he cut that much...he walks around at 200+...thats stupid of him especially for a title...
                            edit: big fan of Hendo but more of a fan of hating Bisping, lol
                            The dude finished 8 straight fights up until the Mayhem fight. I think that qualifies as a finisher.

200+? I'm not sure I believe that. Dude looks mad small for MW. But who knows, I could be wrong.
                            This album Is my shit.
                            If you ain't feelin it.
                            AO kills shit.
                            Get at me

Comment

highly doubt 200+ dude is a 170 pounder
                              No regrets, nicca no regards
                              I know the bar, raise mine, yall can lower yalls
                              What I lack in talent, I normally show in heart
                              Prolly why they want the encore before the show can start

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by fhnctuli, Today, 07:32 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post fhnctuli  
                              Started by Tarzan, 07-19-2021, 04:40 PM
                              1 response