X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheets
    replied
    http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/GSP-Hardy.html

In any case, the fact remains that GSP dominated that fight in beautiful fashion and if a true MMA fan can't see that and appreciate it, then they are indeed a meathead.

Leave a comment:

• Vexx
    replied
    Great article, and of course I agree with almost everything the dude's saying, but this is the UFC, not boxing. UFC fans, a huge majority of 'em, wanna see brutal slugfests, flash KOs, shit like that. Strategy and punching stats belong in boxing where fans actually care about it. I'm not going overboard by saying that the majority of UFC fans are fuckin' dumbass meatheads.

Leave a comment:

• Sheets
    replied
    Great article:

----

3/30/2010 6:29 PM ET By Mike Chiappetta

Twitterholic and UFC President Dana White said that during last Saturday's UFC 111 title fight between Georges St. Pierre and Dan Hardy, his Twitter feed – which is followed by over 1 million people – was blowing up with negative feeback on the fight.

The fans, it seemed, were not overly impressed by St. Pierre's systematic five-round beatdown of Hardy. Perhaps the fight was so dominant, so lopsided, that to them it bordered on boring. The somewhat absurd corollary to this is that people believe Hardy's stock shot up with the performance while St. Pierre's dipped.

Oh, really? The guy on the beating end gets a credibility boost for surviving while the guy on the business end of the punches somehow suffers? That's preposterous. Hardy does deserve credit, but if you think his survival was something to behold, it is only because of the attack that came his way. Either they both get credit, or neither does; I accept the former. St. Pierre's performance shows that he is true to his word of trying to break down a fight to a mathematical formula, and here are the statistics to prove it.

As the statistics – culled from our friends at Compustrike -- explain, he's simply on another level from the rest of the UFC's best welterweights, as evidenced by his last four performances, against Hardy, Thiago Alves, B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch. St. Pierre has dominated each of them.

First of all, let's put to rest the theory that says St. Pierre is afraid to stand up with strikers. The fact is that St. Pierre has easily out-struck his opposition in the standup.
    tweetcount_src = 'RT @NBAFanHouse:'; tweetcount_via = false; tweetcount_size = 'small'; tweetcount_background = 'FFFFFF'; tweetcount_border = 'CCCCCC'; tweetcount_api_key = '1cf4e3b7f7f20406a9dd9d1b1edc0e41b4fc20d1b21cb19a6 f169387c696d333';

Share31
    In the four fights, St. Pierre landed 197 of 401 standup strikes (49 percent). His opponents landed 141 of 426 (33 percent). Most telling are the stats against Alves, who is considered the most dangerous striker of the bunch and had finished five of his previous six opponents with KOs or TKOs. GSP easily won the standup battle in a bout that had plenty of striking action. St. Pierre landed 62 of 132 standing strikes (47 percent) while Alves landed just 47 of 166 (28 percent). And there's no argument that St. Pierre blanketed Alves for the win. As the stats show, the fight was equally contested on the feet and on the ground; St. Pierre threw nearly half of his strikes on his feet (132 standing, 136 on the ground). Alves had his chances; he was simply out-classed.

That said, the building block of St. Pierre's attack is his wrestling. Based on near-perfect timing and seamless transitions, St. Pierre's wrestling continues to bear fruit with stunning effectiveness. In his last four fights, he's attempted 35 takedowns and completed 29, a staggering 83 percent clip. Against Hardy, he was a perfect 9-for-9. That wasn't the only jaw-dropping stat he authored against his recent British challenger. He avoided every single one of Hardy's standing arm strikes against him; Hardy was 0-for-17 in head-hunting. It seems likely that St. Pierre thought his ground advantage was so substantial against Hardy, there was literally no purpose to engaging him in the standup.

St. Pierre apologized for his performance after the fight, but he has nothing for which to be sorry. Football teams don't apologize for routing an opponent 42-0, neither do baseball teams for a rout or tennis players for steamrolling a foe in one-sided fashion. He simply dissected Hardy and overwhelmed him in his most vulnerable area. Everyone enjoys a good slugfest, but if you want MMA to be considered a sport, you can't complain about fighters employing actual strategy.

Many will complain about St. Pierre's lack of finishes (only Penn didn't make it to the final bell with him in that four-match stretch), but that's a function of the toughness of his opponents as much as St. Pierre's inability to close them out.

Think about the streaks that those opponents had been on before facing him:

• Hardy had won 12 of 13 (only loss coming via DQ) and hadn't been finished since 2005
    • Fitch was on a 17-fight unbeaten stretch and hadn't been finished since 2002
    • Alves had won 9 of 10 with his only loss coming to the aforementioned Fitch

That's a combined record of 38-2 just before facing St. Pierre, yet he steamrolled each of them. He knocked down Fitch four times during the course of the fight in a hellacious beating. He smashed Alves around for five rounds. He came close to submitting Hardy twice, and in truth, other fighters might have tapped from either the kimura or arm bar he applied.

St. Pierre hasn't lost a round on a judge's scorecard since round one against Josh Koscheck in Aug. 2007. That's 25 straight rounds of dominance, with no end in sight. If you criticize him for finishing only one of his four most recent opponents, you truly aren't seeing the bigger picture: he's fighting the best welterweights in the world and he's literally embarrassing them

Leave a comment:

• Kid Ka$h
    replied
    Diaz is that dude

Leave a comment:

• air bozhidar
    replied
    I think Mir got too complacent, and was trying to conserve energy and wait too long on Carwin to make a mistake. If Mir had gone in there with much more energy and physicality, I think It would have been a much longer and closer fight. I would love a Mir and Cain fight for 2nd in title contension and JDS can get 3rd in title contension. Im loving the Heavyweight division right now

Leave a comment:

• NastyMC
    replied
    diaz is hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Redsoxx
    replied
    i dunno i think they are funny, they definitely both have some sort of mental problems though

Leave a comment:

• AlpHa_OmegA
    replied
    I hate the Diaz brothers. They need to learn how to act. Good fighters, horrible representatives of the sport.

I felt like spitting on Nick when he walked in mean mugging. lol.

Leave a comment:

• Redsoxx
    replied
    another classic Diaz brother interview lmao at when Kurt Pellegrino passes by him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBfS...layer_embedded

Leave a comment:

• OUTLAW
    replied
    carwin is a beast..he could knock brock out in 1st round quite possibly....randy wobbled brock with some puncches an shane is far stronger.
    word on gsp getting boring, would a been a different story standing...he gotta move up weight and fight a.silva after he destroys maia...

def need a cain vs junior fight to fight winner of carwin lesnar..sick times ahead

Leave a comment:

• Redsoxx
    replied
    ya im sure Dana wants Cain to get the next title shot and then give JDS the one after that, i didnt think of it b4 but if JDS and Cain fought who would be the next #1 contender after that?

because basically everyone will be coming off losses or only have one win going into a title shot...

Mir, Nog, Kongo, Gonzaga, Carwin/Lesnar loser, Cain/JDS loser...

the UFC will probley give JDS someone like Kongo and give him the next title shot after Cain...

i think Mir/Nog 2 makes sense right about now though or who knows the UFC could give Mir Gonzaga and Nog Kongo to get them wins who knows

who knows though theres a lot of possible match ups but Dana probley wont pit his 2 big up and comers against each other even though i really want to see that fight

Leave a comment:

• Clear
    replied
    Fitch and GSP are different. GSP at least attempts to consistently get himself in a better position ad subs, etc. Fitch will just lay on you and hold. I look at GSP as a new molding of what Tito Ortiz used to do.

Until someone comes along with a sick takedown defense or some Demian Maia type jiu jitsu well then no one is beating GSP at 170. He is going to continue to do this because he can. The subs he had on Hardy would of made most 170 guys tap, we cannot act like none of us didnt see the game plan for GSP.

I am really still not convinced on Carwin. Don't get me wrong, the guy is definitely a beast but we really still know absolutely nothing about him. We have no idea how his cardio is or if he has any sort of defense. It isnt his fault but seriously i can't judge the guy. I think Mir came in way too cocky and he needs to stop that shit. This loss i hope is a wakeup call for him.

I would like the future matchups to be GSP vs Koscheck because i think Daley will provide nothing. I want to see Dos Santos vs Cain but it seems Cain gets the winner of Brock-Carwin. So until then we get to see how Dos Santos and Duffee come up. Heavyweight division is fucking stacked now and im loving it.

Leave a comment:

• Vexx
    replied
    Hats off to Dan Hardy, dude has mad heart for not tapping when Rush put those submissions on him. GSP is sooo boring lately. I understand that he comes in and does what he needs to do to win the fight and keep the belt, but Jesus Christ, the dude's fights are becoming incredibly dull due to him trying to keep the whole fight on the ground. Anderson Silva's the real UFC king.

While I like Frank Mir for always putting on exciting fights, I couldn't help but feel good when he lost. Dude talks soooo much smack, and his homo obsession with Lesnar is gettin' played out. It was awesome seeing Carwin shut him the fuck up.
    Last edited by Vexx; 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MEADOWS_KILLAS
    replied
    nottingham boy dan hardy came against the greatest ever mma fighter after fedor...

Pretty much how people expected, the mat wrsetling dominace of gsp..

But you cannot deny that nottingham people are the toughest in the world after that fight..to last 5 rounds from gsp is epic..

That shane carwin is massive...

Leave a comment:

• Fader
    replied
    The card had the potential to be one of the best in a long while but I dunno,I felt bit dissapointed at the end.

Was shocked at the mir fight,I thought mir would win but carwin is a beast! Horribly late stoppage!

Main event was as expected. GSP is I feel p4p best fighter and would love to see him step up. Still can't believe he's only 28!

Leave a comment:

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Sagem1950, Today, 12:09 AM
0 responses
1 view
0 likes
Last Post Sagem1950  
Started by harman19, 07-07-2021, 04:14 AM