The Best of HONOR 2008 ~ so far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best of HONOR 2008 ~ so far...

Some may say that Ring of Honor is having a shitty year, although in the 4 months of DVDs they have released so far...they have already accumulated a very impressive list of matches, from must see matches to worth a watch matches...so its odd, for the people here that want a list of matches they should check out...I'm going to throw out a list of matches that I LIKED.

JANUARY 2008

Necro Butcher vs. Kevin Steen ~ Street Fight (Proving Ground- Boston, MA 1/11/08)
    An unexpected good match that kinda came out of the blue, both brawlers really meshed together well and made a pretty brutal match out of it that definitely has its HARDCORE moments. Steen runs his mouth and Necro brings his unique charisma to this Street Fight.
    (Honorable Mention: Steen vs. Necro - Bedlam in Beantown)

Erick Stevens vs. Austin Aries ~ FIP World Title (Proving Ground- Boston, MA 1/11/08)
    The first defense of newly crowned FIP World Champion against one of ROH's best. Not often is the champion the underdog, the story here is done very smartly with ROH using FIP's countout rule in the ROH environment. In the end, the result is an action packed match that builds to a great climax that gets the crowd pumped.
    (Honorable Mention: Stevens vs. Danielson - Transform)

Mark Briscoe, Jack Evans & Jigsaw vs. Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black, & Necro Butcher (Transform- Edison, NJ 1/12/08)

A positive from a lackluster show, the main even of this show sees the return of Jack Evans to lead his Vulture Squad and an ally against the evil Age of the Fall in an insane insane...insane, anything goes no disqualification 6 man scramble match. It will definitely leave you saying, "Oh no he DIDN'T!".

Bryan Danielson vs. Tyler Black (Breakout - Dayton, OH 1/25/08)
    The best in the world against the rising star, a fantastic wrestling contest with mind games. The cocky youngster one step infront of the ROH Ace but will the veteran prove that experience will always succeed in the end. The ROH "Breakout" match of Tyler Black.

Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico (Without Remorse- Chicago Ridge, IL 1/26/08)
    If its possible for two wrestlers to be born to wrestler each other, these two would be the example. They start where they left off from their last encounter from last years RTTT Finals match. Although a complete different match, the pace, the stratedy and a play off their previous match that makes for an enjoyable wresting match.

Mark Briscoe vs. Joey Matthews (Without Remorse- Chicago Ridge, IL 1/26/08)
    Maybe the most shocking match so far this year, the tag team regular of Mark Briscoe and the WWE reject Joey (Mercury) Matthews have themselves one hell of a straight wrestling match. Matthews shows that he may have learned a thing or two in his previous job by getting extreme heat from the crowd while Mark plays the perfect babyface in peril. Dare I say that every wrestling match should be like this one.

FEBRUARY 2008

Go Shiozaki vs. Necro Butcher (Eye of the Storm- Deer Park, NY 2/22/08)
    I wouldn't call this must see, but I was fascinated by this encounter...the clash of styles is present but what made me lie this match, THE CHOPS! For a debut, Shiosaki is not scared to get at it right away as he has a chop war with Necro on the floor...and if you want to see HARD chops, Go is your man...the proof is Necros chest...well whats left of it.

Austin Aries vs. Go Shiozaki (6th Anniversary Show- New York, NY 2/23/08)

What is there to say about this match? No bullshit and no restrictions, this is a classic that will leave you wanting a rematch the moment this match ends.

Rocky Romero & Davey Richards vs. Ruckus & Jigsaw ~ World Tag Team Titles (6th Anniversary Show- New York, NY 2/23/08)

Not the usual ROH tag team title match but if you are lacking simple and fun tag team matches in your wrestling regimen, this will satisfy your appetite.
    (Honorable Mention: Rematch from Supercard of Honor 3)

Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens vs. Necro Butcher ~ FIP World Title (6th Anniversary Show- New York, NY 2/23/08)

What happens when you take three of the hardest bruisers and put them in a ring together and give them the red light to do anything they want? Airborne chairs and a few nearly broken necks. Who said the art of hardcore matches was dead?

Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson ~ ROH World Title (6th Anniversary Show- New York, NY 2/23/08)
    Chemistry is there, the story is there, the crowd is there, the title is on the line and the wrestling is good all the right ingredients for a masterpiece. This is the Mona Lisa of 2008.

MARCH 2008

Austin Aries vs. Bryan Danielson (Take No Prisoners- Philadelphia, PA 3/16/08)

Someone described this as the epitome of technical wrestling, and that it was an accomplishment for it working in this day and age of wrestling. I think I agree. Just two of the best going at each other to see who's the better man on that given night.

Tyler Black vs. Nigel McGuinness (Take No Prisoners- Philadelphia, PA 3/16/08)

How to book a new talent to shine and showcase his skills? This is your blueprint. For the PPV viewers it was known beforehand who would win but for the live crowd that night, they had no idea who would come up the victor. Talk about having everyone in the palm of your hand.

Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino (Dragon Gate Challenge II- Orlando, FL 3/28/08)
    A little bit of ROH and a little bit of Dragon Gate, mix it up, sprinkle of a little bit of Wrestlemania magic, add hot Orlando crowd and stir. Mmm-Mmm-Mmm oh so good.
    (Honorable Mention: BxB Hulk & Shingo vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico - Supercard of Honor 3)

Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens (Supercard of Honor III- Orlando, FL 3/29/08)
    The match that never really happened, who needs an actual official match? Just have two guys that hate each other come out and have a fight instead. Watch and learn.

Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe ~ Relaxed Rules Match (Supercard of Honor III- Orlando, FL 3/29/08)
    A street fight with some psychology? It's possible ladies and gentleman, this match just had that special it factor to it, you can feel the meaning to this feud but you don't know until the very end who will win.

Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries ~ ROH World Title (Supercard of Honor III- Orlando, FL 3/29/08)
    This sequel is actually better then the original, where the first may have fell short this match corrected itself. A full fledged heel Nigel was one factor, and a better defined story makes this match maybe the best of 2008.

Muscle Outlaws vs. Typhoon (Supercard of Honor III- Orlando, FL 3/29/08)
    Not the best of the annual Pure Dragon Gate matches, but a definite second with all six Japanese wrestlers incorporating elements from previous matches and then incorporating new tricks. Some Dragon Gate goodness on home soil, don't miss out on it.

APRIL 2008

Davey Richards vs. Kota Ibushi (Bedlam In Beantown- Boston, MA 4/11/08)
    The ROH audience and American wrestling fans get a small taste for the first time ever of Japanese sensation Kota Ibushi. It may not blow you away but this turns out to be a good match and a crowd pleaser.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Unfortunately, it takes more than good matches to make a promotion great.
    Arizona Cardinals 8-6 (NFC West Champions)
    A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar. -H.L. Mencken

Comment

I know it takes riveting angles...

"Paul?...Paul?"

Comment

Originally posted by Balzter View Post
        I know it takes riveting angles...

"Paul?...Paul?"
        I don't remember saying that angle was particularly good. But yes, matches are not enough. You have to add spice to it. Otherwise it gets bland after a while.

Comment

Your right, ROH only has matches. All the storylines are bad...and feuds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Balzter View Post
            Your right, ROH only has matches. All the storylines are bad...and feuds as well.
            So you did read that long spiel apparently huh?
            But here's what I said before.
            Ring of Honor excels at good matches. They have always brought the product to the fans and given the fans everything they could have wanted.
            Apparently, you just want to decide things on your own.

Comment

I didn't read a word of it. lol

Comment

Oh well. :P

Comment

You just put me in the mood for some ROH

Tag Wars? Age of the Fall vs. Motor City Machine Guns...yeaaaaa!

Comment

what fueds have been good in the wwe in the past couple years?
                    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Indianapolis Colts

XBox Live Tag:
                    GlazedJasonMask

Comment

None. But thats beside the point...

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny B View Post
                        I said this another post, but I'll say it again

Mr McMahon vs Telephones
                        Motherf*ck a 50 Cent + a John Cena!

"Then I thought deep about giving up the money, what I need to do is kick the b*tch in the tummy!" - Ice Cube, You Can't Fade Me

Comment

The telephones tried to kill Mr. McMahon...this feud has just started!
                          stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny B View Post
                            Actually, I rather like what they're doing with HBK and Jericho right now.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Deborahlanker, Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Nancystarkman  
                            Started by Deborahlanker, 07-25-2020, 06:37 AM
                            5 responses