Giving Back: Honor Above All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Back: Honor Above All

i know y'all hate to hear this but is there any doubt that ROH is the only thing in North American giving back some dignity to pro wrestling.

Lance Storm says it best, like usual...

Giving Back: ROH

JUly 22, 2008

I am very excited about his coming weekend. This Friday is the Canadian debut of Ring of Honor and Iím going to be a part of it. As you should all know by now I will be appearing at the Friday ROH show in Toronto as well as the Saturday PPV taping in Detroit. Iím a huge believer in Ring of Honor and Iíve been plugging the company and these shows specifically, very hard in recent weeks. Iíve been writing articles (like this one), doing media interviews with newspapers, and radio stations (Iím on Fight Network Radio this coming Thursday); Iíve been doing everything I can to help makes these shows a success, including doing appearances at both event.

What you donít know though, is that Iím not doing all of this for the usual pro-wrestling reasons. I am not appearing at these events or doing any of this publicity for a payday. I am doing this on my own time and for free. Ring of Honor isnít paying me to come to their shows or promote them, I volunteered. I enjoy ROH that much and I believe in ROH that much.

Iíve always believed that guys, whoíve succeeded in this business, should give back to the industry that treated them so well. Since Iíve retired Iíve done my best to do that, and itís actually been quite rewarding. You often see retired, or well past their prime stars, taking Indy bookings where they demand huge paydays and then produce poor/lazy matches and wonít even put a guy over to help elevate the future talent of the company thatís paying them. Stars like this seem to take their win and their payday and ride off into the sunset leaving the promotion, that just paid them, a little worse off than it was before they arrived. Thatís not giving back, thatís just sucking the industry dry, and that is a real shame.

Iím not the biggest name in this business, and adding my name to a poster isnít going to sellout too many buildings, but I have made an effort to give back and Ring of Honor is a very deserving recipient.

My relationship with ROH started when I agreed to my first post-WWE match with them, where I challenged the ROH World Champion, Bryan Danielson. Admittedly I was paid quite handsomely for that match, but I donít think anyone in the building thought I was coasting on my name value or gave them anything less than my all in that match. It was an excellent match and I worked every bit as hard as everyone else on the card did and tapped out clean in the middle, to the ROH World Champion. I may have left with a good payday, but at least I left the fans with a great match and their Champion with a big win.

Iím at the point now in my life, where I donít think I have a match of that caliber left in me, but I still have 17 years of knowledge and experience to offer and I was thrilled when ROH approached me about sharing that knowledge and experience with their locker room. ROH has a fantastic talent roster. They are young, hardworking, and very talented and hopefully combining that with my experience and knowledge it can become even greater. Iíve been doing this via DVD and email for a while now and itís been a lot of fun and quite rewarding. ROH has been sending me DVDs and in return Iíve been watching them and offering advice, praise, and criticism on the over all product, matches, and talent.

This has been providing me with tremendous viewing enjoyment (these guys have some great matches), while offering ROH talent a more experienced outside perspective on their product. I was originally doing this just through Gabe Sapolsky (ROH booker) but I have since been interacting directly with individual talent and I cannot believe how receptive they all are to both criticism and suggestions.

This is the sign of a true professional, in my opinion. A guy who puts his ego aside and listens to not only the good but the bad and is willing to debate and discuss a different perspective in hopes of finding the best possible balance. Every person Iíve interacted with in ROH has been both receptive and grateful for my input and because of that, when Gabe asked if Iíd be willing to come to some live events to offer my advice in person, I not only said yes, but said I would do it for free.

Ring of Honor is an amazing company, with a very talented, hardworking locker room. Iím showing them my respect by coming to their events to give back. I hope you show them your respect by being one of hottest crowds theyíve ever worked. I will be signing autographs and who knows what else at these shows, I hope to see you there.

In the words of Billy Red Lyons, ďDonít you dare miss it!Ē
    Lance Storm
    The truth.

"real wrestling", think about it?

Comment

uhhhh, no thanks. im fine as is

Comment

Real wrestling is a contradiction in terms.
        Arizona Cardinals 8-6 (NFC West Champions)
        A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar. -H.L. Mencken

Comment

this is wrestling

better?

Comment

Whatever makes you feel like the coolest guy.

Comment

"We’re about wrestling; we’re about giving the fans their moneys’ worth," said Silkin. "I always say, and this is not to downgrade any of the other companies, but you might get more action in 20 minutes of a ROH show than you’ll get in an entire WWE show. WWE also does some great shows as well but no one ever gets cheated coming to ROH. We also want to come off with a fantastic DVD. All of us, the wrestlers, the staff, we strive to give the best product possible."

Comment

"WWE also does some great shows as well but no one ever gets cheated coming to ROH."

=

"Balzter is a really smart guy. For a down syndrome crippled monkey with aids!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American View Post
                  "WWE also does some great shows as well but no one ever gets cheated coming to ROH."
                  =
                  "Balzter is a really smart guy. For a down syndrome crippled monkey with aids!"
                  very mature.

Comment

And you say shit goes over my head. I wasn't insulting you at all. I said the comments are the same thing. A backhanded insult. Duh.

Comment

They are not an insult in the least bit. They are the opinions of an individual, which depending on the person could be right or wrong. I personally think that the statements are pretty right on, but what do I know...I havent been watching wrestling for 20 years like you have.

Comment

That's funny, I've spent my money on some ROH DVD's and I felt like it was money wasted.
                        Arizona Cardinals 8-6 (NFC West Champions)
                        A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar. -H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by damagedude View Post
                          That's funny, I've spent my money on some ROH DVD's and I felt like it was money wasted.
                          If you like that feeling times 2, then you should try ordering some WWE PPVs.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Deborahlanker, 02-13-2021, 08:19 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post nicklloyd  
                          Started by nfggfaetyf, Today, 01:43 AM
                          0 responses