Clear All

• Saturo Iwata(president of nintendo) interview about nintendo REVOLUTION

Good read

source: http://cube.ign.com/articles/595/595...html?fromint=1

Originally posted by IGN
    New Satoru Iwata Interview
    NCL president in a post GDC chat.
    by Juan Castro

March 14, 2005 - While still as secretive as ever, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been granting several interviews in the wake of GDC 2005. Nintendo has now officially begun the unveiling process for the Revolution, stating the machine would be backwards compatible with the GameCube and come equipped with wi-fi capabilities. In a recent interview with BusinessWeek, Satoru Iwata discussed the future of Nintendo and its plans to infuse the games industry with a newfound sense of innovation. Concerning Revolution specifics, however, Satoru Iwata deflected incoming questions with ease, letting nothing slip. Unfortunate, yet entirely expected. Below, a full transcript of the interview:

Q: You mentioned Nintendo Revolution will have a totally new interface, a completely different look for gamers. Can you elaborate?
    A: The new interface will allow some new forms of innovation. Already, you're seeing changes in Nintendo DS, which has a microphone, input pen, and touch screen. We have a number of candidates for a new interface but are not ready to reveal them. All I can say right now is that whatever we choose will be intuitive and easy to use for everyone.
    Q: Well, you showed several new games that used voice commands. Is that one of your candidates?
    A: It certainly makes a game better to have voice commands, because it can alter how the game is played. But the fact of the matter is, to realize voice commands, all you have to do is install a microphone. We realize a few of our competitors are already thinking of following us on this, so it will not be a defining feature of the new console. We may or may not use the microphone in the new [Nintendo Revolution] interface.

Q: You also challenged game developers to think outside of the box on new games. Why?
    A: Games already pretty much have reached the point of photo-realism. Working on more intense graphics is not the only path we can take anymore. Simply relying on the sheer horsepower of the machine will not bring the industry a bright future.

Q: When will you get Revolution development kits out to game creators?
    A: Development kits are already out there, depending on which stage you're talking about. All I can say right now is "in the near-future" for the basis platform information they will need to get started on games.

Q: A lot has been said about Microsoft's new Xbox console coming out later this year. If that's the case, it may have a year's lead on you, and many are predicting Nintendo will be the big loser, not Sony. What are your thoughts here?
    A: Whether Nintendo is a winner or loser on Revolution totally depends on how our customers react to it, and since they do not know much about it, I can't respond. A year or two from now, it will be interesting to know who ultimately made the right choices. I'm confident we have made the right decisions.

Q: Still, a lot of people say there are lessons to be learned from previous mistakes with console introductions. What have you learned from Nintendo's missteps?
    A: I should point out two lessons: We really needed to understand the differences and the needs of the territories, and also the importance of timing. It's important not only to have the right timing of when the hardware is going to be released but also when we are going to be able to introduce quality software.

Q: Nintendo is one of the biggest game software publishers in the world. Does having such big hits make it more difficult to get third-party publishers like Electronic Arts on board, since they have to compete with you?
    A: Of course, third-party publishers, like everyone, face increasing risks associated with creating games, and you have to target your resources to the right places and the right platforms. Our competitors [in the hardware business] are the ones who are willing to shell out big money to ensure third-party support, but I believe as long as Nintendo can find the appropriate strategy to make us stand out, they will develop for our platforms.
    Last edited by Far-C; 03-16-2005, 07:31 AM.
    RIP PROOF
    You're Chilling With Bugz Now. You'll Be Missed But Never Forgotten

R-mean: BROKEN WATER
    Check out the site for samples!
    R
    !!PENTAGON!!

Nintendo has got to give us some fucking information...I mean c'mon
    Now, my oral demonstration be like clitoral stimulation
    to the female gender, ain't nothin better
    Let me know when it's wet enough to enter

Comment

Interesting read, thanks

Comment

It's so shitty that you don't know what to expect.
        i just hope nintendo doesn't make the wrong decision
        and i hope that the graphics aren't going to be (much) worse than the other 2 consoles
        RIP PROOF

R
        !!PENTAGON!!

Comment

Originally posted by Far-C
          It's so shitty that you don't know what to expect.
          i just hope nintendo doesn't make the wrong decision
          and i hope that the graphics aren't going to be (much) worse than the other 2 consoles
          Why the hell wouldn't revolution be better then the ps3? Gamecube owns PS2 graphics wise in every way.

Comment

yeah but it did get released a lot later than the PS2
            now it's on par with the PS2
            RIP PROOF

R
            !!PENTAGON!!

Comment

Seriously, if the graphics look as nice as the Cube, I'll be more than satisfied. I'm much more interested in the controllers on these bad boys. I'm guessing wireless controls right out of the box and perhaps a touchscreen on the controller? Remember, these have to be able to reasonably control a Cube game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
                Seriously, if the graphics look as nice as the Cube, I'll be more than satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by ssf4life
                  ??? Shocked? I prefer an innovative game design to flashy graphics. Seroiusly, how much better can games look than RE4 or the new Zelda? In my eyes, they are just about at the peak. I'm hoping to see gameplay return in force for this new generation. It's been too long that people play games just because they look nice. It's really a great time for a revolution in the game industry.

Comment

I hope that this new innovation solves the problem of playing FPS's on console (b/c of gamepads). If Nintendo does that, they can corner that entire market.
                    Originally posted by Calidank
                    milk the money as long as you can, long as people keep requestin it why stop a good thing.... At the end of the day its a buisness, the art of selling.

Comment

Originally posted by ssf4life
                      lol
                      do you ever post anything else?

i don't really care about the graphics either
                      but on the other hand i still love to be wowed with some amazing graphics. but if the ps3 and xbox2 wil have far superior graphics i don't see that happinin anymore on my probebly gonna be fav system
                      Last edited by Far-C; 03-20-2005, 07:57 AM.
                      RIP PROOF

R
                      !!PENTAGON!!

Comment

From what I have found out about it so far is Nintedo will be using a processor and graphic chip that will be superior to the chips that the same companies are creating for the Xbox 2 and PS3. I cannot see the graphics being too bad for the new "Revolution". I would not be surprised if the new nentedo controler has perhaps a touchscreen or a touch mouspad as a part of the controler. But if its the same type of old control it would be fine too, it just seem like according to company reps that some new type of way to play games is coming to nintendo. And I am excited about this new innovation. I played Metroid prime hunters preview game for the DS the other day and was impressed.
                        One convienient location...... somewhere in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by gdillinjah
                          From what I have found out about it so far is Nintedo will be using a processor and graphic chip that will be superior to the chips that the same companies are creating for the Xbox 2 and PS3. I cannot see the graphics being too bad for the new "Revolution". I would not be surprised if the new nentedo controler has perhaps a touchscreen or a touch mouspad as a part of the controler. But if its the same type of old control it would be fine too, it just seem like according to company reps that some new type of way to play games is coming to nintendo. And I am excited about this new innovation. I played Metroid prime hunters preview game for the DS the other day and was impressed.
                          Man, I've been playing Hunters since launch day and I'm STILL impressed. I think you're right on. I'm quite certain a touchscreen controller will happen AND I'm thinking it will be wireless. It just has to be capable of playing Cube games too. So maybe the same basic buttons on a cube control, 2 sticks, a dpad AND a touchscreen? Is that asking too much?

Comment

Damn, how much more expensive would it be from a standard controller if it was wireless and included a touchscreen interface?

Comment

Originally posted by Tru15
                              Damn, how much more expensive would it be from a standard controller if it was wireless and included a touchscreen interface?
                              Personally, I don't care one bit. I would imagine it would be inline with other controllers thoughs. Ditch the useless rumble feature and it will bring manufacturing costs down. Nintendo currently makes a wireless controller that is priced only slightly higher than a standard one. I would imagine it would be close with any new controllers. Probably slightly more expensive though.

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Nancystarkman  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, 07-25-2020, 06:37 AM
                              5 responses