Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coded Arms - The PSP's first FPS

Coded Arms - Proving that the PSP can handle an FPS

If you are a PSP fan, you probably bought the device to play music, movies and basically anything else you could possibly do to avoid playing games on your handheld game system. For now this is fine. But what about when you want to talk down to an inferior owner of a Nintendo DS? We all know the PSP is built to support everything, but how do you hammer this into a moron that thinks the DS has superior control (with a touchscreen, no less. What a larf.)? The words of Yasuo Daikai (producer of the game Coded Arms) should shed some light on how the PSP's single analog control will clearly be better than the DS's touchscreen nonsense.

The PSP features superior control when rewinding and fast forwarding movies; it's primary selling point.

"IGN: OK, and finally, the controls. This is probably the most talked-about concern regarding this game, maybe controversial even. This being the first FPS for the PSP, what is your team doing to make this work on PlayStation Portable?

Daikai: We thought about the feeling -- the way it controls has to be very natural. But we are also aware that certain individuals have certain likes and dislikes in how they want to control this type of game. So, we tried to have as many settings as possible, and also allow people to assign settings in the game -- we do have certain pre-sets for the game that we feel are the right way to play, but we also leave it up to the player to set his controls."

Thinking about feeling guarantees that the game will play better. When we get to the next line I, for one, am very comforted to hear about the fact that this game will feature "many settings". When I see that they leave it up to the player to set his controls, it is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. What innovation! No other FPS game has allowed players to customize controls before. Not Perfect Dark, not Timesplitters. Nothing. You can't blame them as they were working with the obvious handicap of dual analog. This game eliminates the ridiculous problem of AIMING at what you want to shoot with an "auto-assist" (read: chimp mode) aiming system. Completely making up for the single analog nub used to control the game!

As if this isn't enough to put all possible concerns to rest, let us look further into Daikais words for a little more comfort:

"IGN: Will you have the 'FPS look' available as a choice for use on the analog controller?

Daikai: We will leave that up to the users to configure if they like."

Notice that this ISN'T a complete dodge of the question and completely addresses the very real concern that the PSP has both it's input devices on the same side of the system? "Leave it up to the users" should become a rallying point for developers. Why spend time and effort attempting to get the best control possible when you can let the poor schmuck who shelled out $60 CDN for a handheld game fix the problem? Especially when people are begging for more?

RANDOM LUNACY (about Coded Arms)

"Daikai: First of all, an FPS, you can use actual weapons and you kill enemies, so it all tends to become very violent. So, what we thought about was making the setting a virtual world, a digital world so that we could soften up on the hard violence."

I'm quite certain that if this quote referred to a Nintendo project, PSP owners would be laughing a whole lot. But since this is the beloved Sony PSP, the lack of blood is sure to not be considered kiddy (at least until the next time it happens on a Nintendo system).

"Man, no blood in an FPS is fucking sweet for some reason! The Next day: I heard that kiddy Nintendo doesn't have blood in their games! Fags."

I think that the following quote is the perfect way to describe Sony gaming. A myth that even the people who are making games for them are unable to unravel.

"IGN: How would you compare designing for PSP versus PlayStation 2?

Daikai: PSP is limited against everything you can do with PS2 ... but on the other hand, there isn't much of a big difference to the PSP versus PS2."
    Last edited by The Un-American; 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM.

that look kick ass. Cant wait til PSP is released over here.
    LOL @ You

Comment

^ Awesome. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I see the rest of it was pretty much lost on you.

Comment

WTF u fucktard. Ignoring your sarcasm, I did bother to quickly look up the game and IMO, it looks good.
        LOL @ You

Comment

Damn, seems like you're on a mission to destroy Sony.

Anyway, before I actually played a FPS on the PSP I thought it was cool. But ever since I played Coded Arms my views on my PSP have changed completely. You guys were right, apart from a few games...PSP isn't really what it seems. The controls for the game are absolute shit. You may be able to get the hang of the controls after a while, but from inside you'll know that this sucks. Thats what happened with me. I tried my best to work with all the configurations before I realized that I was fighting a lost cause. FPS's are not meant to be on the PSP...it's as simple as that. The analog stick is too fucking sensitive, even when you turn the sensitivity to low. Playing the game just dint feel right. Since then I realized the DS for what it truly is, an awesome gaming device.

I made the mistake of judging the DS too early, before games that actually took advantage of it's touchscreen were out. I played Mario, thought I've played it before and there's not too much in it....and made my decision. I was wrong, and I openly admit it. The first 2-3 games I played on my PSP were pretty neat (Ridge Racers, Mercuries, Lumines). After a while I realized all the other games are just a bundled down version of the PS2, with shitty controls. Thats not what you want when you buy a new gaming device. You want to experience something different and you dont get that with the PSP.

Anyway, later I bought some games for the DS which took advantage of the touchscreen (Rogue Agent, Yoshi Touch & Go...to name a couple)...and there it was, I was hooked onto the DS and realized what it really is. It may seem like a "kiddy" game to most of the people, but Yoshi Touch & Go is by far one of the most innovative games I have ever played. It's downright addictive. You just want to keep playing it till you beat your high score again and again. Rogue Agent, may not be the best FPS, but certainly has fantastic controls. When I purchased Rogue Agent is when I actually appreciated the DS for the first time, since then I've been buying DS games constantly while my library of PSP games has not gone past the 7 which I reached a long time ago. Until a really cool game comes along for the PSP, I doubt I'll be making any purchases for it anytime soon. Having said that, I'm already trying to figure out which DS game to purchase next.

The first batch of games you buy for the PSP may be cool, but soon enough you'll realize what I'm talking about. On the other hand, you dont what to expect from a DS game when you purchase it...it's full of neat things you can do with your touchscreen.

I shall now end my rant.

...The End...

Comment

PSP standards are like the current movies..
            good example: steven spielberg's War of the Worlds
            amazing special effects. very beautifull n shit... but clearly no in-depth or anything. the movie was only made by special effects. the story was really put out bad...
            like in video games people are more intrested in how shit looks than how the game functiones...
            I have both PSP and DS. and I havent touched my psp after a couple of days i bought it....
            no intresting games are out and I think the graphics arent that amazing... they are better than the DS
            The controls of the DS is better than the PSP for games like FPS and Strategy games.
            however as a gadget the PSP is way better than the DS it's sleek n shit and has more functions... but then again you have to pay way more for it
            in the end it's not what i'm looking for in a GAMING device..
            PSP is a gadget that's it... it doesn't offer to me in comparison to the price..
            that's all i got to say.
            My views on it might change after better software comes out like virtua tennis and GTA.. but i'm not excited about the future of the PSP
            RIP PROOF
            You're Chilling With Bugz Now. You'll Be Missed But Never Forgotten

R-mean: BROKEN WATER
            Check out the site for samples!
            R
            !!PENTAGON!!

Comment

Originally posted by kelsi'dean
              WTF u fucktard. Ignoring your sarcasm, I did bother to quickly look up the game and IMO, it looks good.
              Sorry for being such a "fucktard". Maybe you could actually attempt to understand that I'm trying to do you a favor. You clearly can't think for yourself, so I'm just trying to help.

People like you are the worst. You don't even know enough to know that you don't know. Ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
                Sorry for being such a "fucktard". Maybe you could actually attempt to understand that I'm trying to do you a favor. You clearly can't think for yourself, so I'm just trying to help.

People like you are the worst. You don't even know enough to know that you don't know. Ya know?
                seriously, who the fuck are you, to tell me I 'cant think for myself' lmfao. People like me? the ones u hate cos their different from ur retarded way of thinking?? damn you really are a case u know that, and Ive only read 3 of ur posts.
                LOL @ You

Comment

seriously, who the fuck are you, to tell me I 'cant think for myself' lmfao. People like me? the ones u hate cos their different from ur retarded way of thinking?? damn you really are a case u know that, and Ive only read 3 of ur posts.
                  No, you clearly CAN'T think for yourself. This little piece is about how shitty the controls on this game are. Backed up by actual FACT and practical experience from PSP owners. You can't even buy this hardware. Who the fuck are YOU to claim you know ANYTHING about it?

I don't hate you at all. I just find your self-imposed ignorance hilarous. The fact that you say my thinking is "retarded" when it's based on real world experience is fucking comedy GOLD.

Let's look at reality for a second:
                  1) I've actually had a PSP in my hands and played it.
                  2) I actually own a DS and play it.
                  3) You cannot even buy or play a PSP game yet.
                  4) People who actually OWN a PSP have said the control is horrible.

Funny that you mention what you've read from me. If I knew you were such a fucking lunatic I'd have searched out more of what you've written. If it's anything like the nonsense in this thread, it should be highly comedic.

Comment

LMFAO!!! My freind BOUGHT a PSP in New Zealand. I have been playing 2 different games on it for the past week. Ur seriously are the ignorant one who seems to think he knows it all.
                    Now THAT is comedy gold. fucking hell

I should add, the controls on PSP are fine, the games are addicting.
                    And Out of the 6 games ve played on a DS, I had more fun playing around with the drawing page on MARIO DS.....
                    LOL @ You

Comment

LMFAO!!! My freind BOUGHT a PSP in New Zealand. I have been playing 2 different games on it for the past week. Ur seriously are the ignorant one who seems to think he knows it all.
                      Now THAT is comedy gold. fucking hell
                      Great! So you have it in your hands and you still consider the controls great. Fucking even better.

Is one of those games "Coded Arms"? If not, may I ask why you feel as though you have some insight into a game you haven't even played?

Not only that, you've had this thing for a fucking WEEK! Doesn't get any better than that. Look back to some of BisoNN's old posts. He was really happy with his PSP too. Until he played (you guessed it) the game we are actually fucking talking about: Coded Arms.
                      I should add, the controls on PSP are fine, the games are addicting.
                      And Out of the 6 games ve played on a DS, I had more fun playing around with the drawing page on MARIO DS.....
                      Good for you. This article is just for your kind then. Would you type out "The DS has shitty controls compared to the PSP"? That would be awesome (and completely accurate).
                      Last edited by The Un-American; 08-23-2005, 04:01 PM.

Comment

LMAO @ the latter, no y would I type that?? They both feel fine and perfectly comfortable to me.

No I havent played Coded Arms, All I said in the beginning was 'It LOOKS kick ass''. Jesus christ. I never sed I had any insight, or that the game was obviously good. I said it LOOKs from what I have discovered about it.
                        LOL @ You

Comment

LMAO @ the latter, no y would I type that?? They both feel fine and perfectly comfortable to me.
                          Just trolling for hilarity.
                          No I havent played Coded Arms, All I said in the beginning was 'It LOOKS kick ass''. Jesus christ. I never sed I had any insight, or that the game was obviously good. I said it LOOKs from what I have discovered about it.
                          Well do you consider what is being said above to be inaccurate? If you don't, why wouldn't you take that into consideration as well? If you're just "discovering" information about a game, it seems more than a little bit retrarded to defend it, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by The Un-American
                            Just trolling for hilarity.

Well do you consider what is being said above to be inaccurate? If you don't, why wouldn't you take that into consideration as well? If you're just "discovering" information about a game, it seems more than a little bit retrarded to defend it, yes?
                            When u say above, do u mean what was on ur quote from me? Or Ur original post?
                            LOL @ You

Comment

When u say above, do u mean what was on ur quote from me? Or Ur original post?
                              I'm talking about ALL the information contained in this thread. You should be happy to get ANY and ALL information about a game that you think is going to be purchased. It's called being an informed consumer. You're not supposed to buy things without any kind of thought going into your purchase. It's irresponsible. It says to game developers "I don't care WHAT you do, I'll buy it anyway".

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 11:16 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Deborahlanker  
                              Started by Deborahlanker, Today, 10:26 AM
                              0 responses