an opinion of WHY nintendo WILL win the next "war."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an opinion of WHY nintendo WILL win the next "war."

Summary: Sony, Microsoft. Xbox 360, PS3. Solid Snake, Master Chief. Hold on a minute, aren't we forgetting something? That's right, Nintendo. Despite all the Sony-Microsoft hype, Nintendo is in the best position it's been in for a decade. You will not be able to stay home, brother, but you will be able to plug in, turn on and cop out. Because this Revolution will be televised.

Kong returns.

Disclaimer: I am not a Nintendo fan. Of all Nintendo systems, I only owned the NES, GBA, and briefly, the SNES. The N64 was a subject of my humor and the GameCube earned immediate contempt for its storage format and the vastly inadequate memory cards it came with (it took 3 or 4 to save a season of Madden with rosters on release). Regular readers of the site will have no doubt read many of my scathing comments about the Revolution controller design.

Consider that in the past year, oil has doubled in price to hit and maintain historic highs. Except for handhelds, game sales have slumped across the board, even in the industry console darling PlayStation 2. The DOW Jones Industrial Average remained flat throughout 2005, with the S&P and NASDAQ barely keeping pace with inflation. At the end of that same year, Microsoft released the most expensive console yet, and one that sold out but is plagued by continuing supply shortages. In Japan, as usual, an American-made (or rather, American-designed) product has flopped. Like countless other American companies, Microsoft has faced a stiff, impenetrable and informal wall of Japanese nationalism which clings stubbornly to a Japanese product. In short, one of the three key markets for the Xbox 360 is denied.

Sony, meanwhile, faces its own problems. Rumors abound of a five hundred dollar PlayStation 3. That’s enough Benjamins to get your hands on a beater car or pay a month’s rent in most American cities not called San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York. It passes that psychological barrier of being half a thousand dollars, and even in these days of raging trade and budget deficits that devalue the dollar, a grand is nothing to sneeze at. There’s a reason that prices like $99.95 are more popular than $100, though that five cents is trivial.

Moreover, gamers are dissatisfied. Though game review scores live in their own little world of the 60-90% range (with everything below being reserved for Daikatana and Mortyr), last year was not a banner year either for game sales or game awards. Nothing blew us away, there was no equivalent of a Grand Theft Auto, a StarCraft, a Quake or even a Call of Duty. Well, there was Call of Duty 2, but it was a sequel, like just about every other major title, and gamers have shown their displeasure with sequels. According to release lists for most major publishers, this coming year will be little different – more sequels!

Gameplay has stagnated beyond the obvious sequelitis. What was the last major revolution in RTS development? Homeworld gave us 3D almost six years ago now. WarCraft III and Warlords: Battlecry gave us heroes about three years ago. Age of Empires III was so similar to Age of Empires II that many reviewers found themselves making sure they weren’t playing a graphics mod for the older game by accident. Where have first-person shooters gone? Great, we have realism. Now what? We had years of Quake games, then we had years of Half-Lifes, and then years of Counter-Strikes and Medals of Honor. Come on, developers and publishers, we need something fresh! And don’t even get me started on the pathetic state of the RPG market, things are as bad if not worse than during those years before BioWare and Black Isle came onto the scene.

Enter Nintendo.

Now here comes Nintendo into this situation. Whether through some sort of master genius trend anticipator, a corporate account with Miss Cleo’s psychic hotline, or sheer dumb luck, Nintendo has just the strategy to take advantage of the situation. The Revolution will be cheap. Rumors range from $200 to $250. It will be a game system, not an all-in-one multimedia home theater experience extraordinaire (with built-in blender and Blu-Ray drive) like the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Its graphics potential will be considerably lower than the Xbox 360 and PS3, but for the first time in history, this may be a good thing. Game publishers and developers industry-wide are complaining of ballooning development costs, mostly due to art teams that have to grow exponentially to create all the content that’s possible. Think back to Mario 64, one of the best-looking games of the early N64/PlayStation generation. It had flat textures, maybe 1000 polygons per character, and trees that were made of a cylinder and sphere. Now, think about Call of Duty 2 or Perfect Dark Zero. How many man-hours would be needed just to model, animate and texture the faces of the characters? Never mind the technology involved in getting lip-synching working, or the various facial expressions, or all the special shader effects. The typical Call of Duty 2 level – just the level – probably has more polygons, textures and lights on it than all of Metal Gear Solid. Programming has faced similar growth in terms of demands and complexity, though at a slower pace. In short, team sizes have ballooned.

Now take Nintendo’s Revolution. It’s going to be easy to develop for by design, being a simple system rather than some convoluted multi-chip, multi-core, Microsony Playbox 363. Not only that, developers are going to spend less money on artists, because when they make games for the Revolution, the standard of art – the upper limit of what’s possible on the console – is going to be lower than what they’d have to compete with on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Of course, the success of that strategy depends on the Revolution carving out its own niche. It has to separate itself from Sony’s and Microsoft’s offerings sufficiently so as not to be seen competing with them on their terms. If Revolution is seen to be in direct competition for a market, purely on terms of hardware performance, it will fail. However, Nintendo has three distinct features to move the Revolution into its own segment.

1. The most obvious is the controller. It’s wacky, it’s weird, it looks like a freaking TV remote from the 1980s but and it has been the butt of my jokes for months. This video, however, convinces me perhaps not of the ultimate utility of the Revolution controller, but of the potential. It will, at the least, work. Its potential, however, is high and it offers a new way of interacting with our games.

2. Price. The disparity between cost, especially in times of relative economic uncertainty, can put the Revolution into a new category. The GameCube was a cool “second system” because it was cheaper. The Revolution, on the other hand, is cheap enough to be “the people’s console”, for the every day Joe Schmoe – with the Xbox 360 and PS3 competing to be the second consoles, and only among the richer or more dedicated folk.

3. Image. Image is important. I mean, look at Apple – why would anyone, ever pay that much for anything unless they were image conscious. Nintendo’s image is different. The kiddie-friendly persona lures in parents, but the retro links and gaming history bait hardcore console gamers. Moreover, just the idea that the Revolution is cheap to develop for and might have cool independent games is sexy. Just like the iPod, it’s the idea – not the hardware – that’s sexy. And yes, I know I am helping to spread that idea with this very article.

The Controller.

Of ultimate importance, however, is the Revolution’s controller. Nintendo made it, they probably have some ideas of what you can do with it, but the key point is that it’s out there. “OK devs, you’ve got this new toy – now do something with it!” It’s like the Soundblaster being released for the first time, with the actual possibility of voice synthesization! Or the first 3D game engines – imagine no more running side to side across a flat screen, but fighting in a 3D world! Enemies that don’t just jump up and down, but side to side!

That’s what the Revolution controller is. Now you may be inclined to say “pheh, what’s the point? I doubt it can do much more than the DualShock.” You may be right. Potential is hard to see and understand, so I’ll use the reverse analogy – the loss of ability, rather than what you can gain with it. As a loyal FiringSquad reader, you’ve no doubt played Quake and CS and other shooters for years now, with your trusty mouse and keyboard. You can get rail shots on fast-moving Quake marines in less time than the average drag racer needs to launch his car off the line. You can do the AK double-tap chest/headshot clear across the CT exit on de_dust, against a moving target at that. Now imagine someone told you to unbind your mouse and play those games with nothing but keyboard. The possibility still exists, just about every shooter still has the option of binding view directions to keys. Imagine if someone does something really cool that works great on the Revolution controller, but will be difficult – or worse, boring - to replicate on a DualShock.

Do you doubt that a controller can make a game exciting? Then you haven’t played enough flight sims. Il-2 is an interesting game with good flight models and nice graphics. It plays well enough with a standard joystick and keyboard combination. Buy a HOTAS, however, like the Saitek X-52 or CH FighterStick/Pro Throttle combo, when your hands never have to leave the controls to touch a mere keyboard, and you’ve got a whole new experience. Top it off with a TrackIR unit, which translates your real-world head movements into in-game movements that permit you to look around your virtual cockpit, to track your target without resorting to anything so crude as a hat switch or keyboard, and the immersion factor goes through the roof. Trust me, as someone who has recently rediscovered his love of flight simulators, controllers matter so much more in games than we’re prepared to believe until we actually experience it.

Conclusion
    Nintendo is poised for a coup. As someone who not so long ago was dismissive of what the company can accomplish, I today firmly believe that they’re capable of taking the #1 position from Sony. Slumping game sales, unimaginative games, expensive consoles and expensive games, consoles that will have features (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD) that we’re not sure we’ll need. In comes Nintendo, with the promise and the tools to let developers create cool games again. It’s guaranteed that we’ll see Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario on the Revolution – but this time there’s the potential for so much more.

What Nintendo is, or at least should be angling for, is the thought that Revolution games should be judged solely against Revolution games. Just like you don’t judge wines by comparing them to beer, or handheld games to consoles, Revolution aims to be its own market. It’s important for Nintendo to establish itself as significantly cheaper than the competition, with a unique controller and that all-important Nintendo game library and image. As long as Revolution offers a unique experience, it won’t matter to gamers that Generic Sequel #168 or NFL Roster Update 2009 look better on the PS3.

The cheapness of the console will help it sell and it’s unlikely that Nintendo will face production shortages since it won’t use exotic and difficult-to-make components. With a large installed owner base, more developers will be inclined to take a shot at it, publishers will feel pressured to release key titles (like Madden) for the Revolution regardless of their past GameCube experience. The controller is standard enough to work for most titles – so Xbox and PlayStation games will most likely work on the Revolution without major trouble, yet that same controller offers unique features that will be difficult to replicate for Microsoft’s and Sony’s consoles.

Sony is vulnerable on three fronts. First, they’re late and they’re feeling the pressure. DreamCast was Sega’s and Sega didn’t have the financial muscle to keep it going. The Xbox 360 has no such problems. Second, Sony’s marketing cannot get away with another “Emotion Engine” claim. The media called Sony on their CGI presentations this E3 and quite frankly, we smell blood and there’s nothing anyone enjoys more than seeing the top dog go down. Third, Sony is betting heavily on Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray fails to take off, PS3 owners will be stuck with this generation’s Betamax players (and Betamax, if you remember, was a Sony initiative – like the 8-track before it). Sony may offer an HD-DVD add-on in case of that eventuality, but the point is that someone – either customers or Sony itself – will have paid for the extra costs of Blu-Ray. Fourth, while the majority of Sony’s revenue is still from consumer electronics, its games division is the one that’s driving company growth. The only other section of the company to grow is its financial services division – all others have seen reduced sales in recent quarters. Microsoft is deliberately hitting Sony where it hurts, and Nintendo can tiptoe in between the battling giants and steal the prize.
    "Fuck other people's thoughts. You don't need them. They're not yours for a reason. Believe what you want for a reason and tell everyone else to fuck off."-my brother.

Good points... you wrote this?
    change must come from within

Comment

At least he put a disclaimer at the top of his arguement. Nice points made and agreed with the majority of them. If you wrote this all, thats amazing. Repped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tash226
        At least he put a disclaimer at the top of his arguement. Nice points made and agreed with the majority of them. If you wrote this all, thats amazing. Repped.
        "YALL WAS TRYING TO RAP YOU WAS MAKING ME PROUD NOW YOU FUCKED UP DOWN ON YOU LUCK RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!!!!"-NAS-50 DISS
        PROPS TO T & T FOR THE AVY

Comment

He didnt write this.Its been posted for what looks like months ago.
          Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
          Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

Comment

Originally posted by unown23
            Sony is vulnerable on three fronts. First, they’re late and they’re feeling the pressure.
            So, when the Nintendo Revolution doesn't even have a release date yet, only 5-6 games have been confirmed and no official screenshots have been released, they are being overly optimstic.

But when the release date of the PS3 is a year after the 360, with many killer-apps confirmed, they are "vulnerable" and are feeling the pressure?

This argument is completely pointless. If anyone is late, it's Nintendo.

Besides that, all the article pretty much says is: The Revolution will win because it's Nintendo. Pleasee!!!

Comment

^well said
              i have a belly full of white dog poop and you lay this shit on me?

Comment

Originally posted by camikazi
                So, when the Nintendo Revolution doesn't even have a release date yet, only 5-6 games have been confirmed and no official screenshots have been released, they are being overly optimstic.

But when the release date of the PS3 is a year after the 360, with many killer-apps confirmed, they are "vulnerable" and are feeling the pressure?

This argument is completely pointless. If anyone is late, it's Nintendo.

Besides that, all the article pretty much says is: The Revolution will win because it's Nintendo. Pleasee!!!
                Actually, just announcing game's doesn't really remove any pressure. First off, every company face's pressure when releasing a console. There's nothing new in that, but I think you have to be blind if you can't see the added pressure that Sony has.

(1) As the article say's, Sony is banking HEAVILY on Blu-Ray. Thing's will not go well if this format fail's.

(2) They were supposed to launch the console by March - April. Till just recently they stuck with this statement even though everyone knew it won't be possible. In the end: an inevitable delay.

(3) They still haven't shown the public what the PS3 controller will look like. They showed us a boomerang. That flopped. They decided to change it. I don't know about you, but that really isn't a sign of confidence. If tomorrow Nintendo decides to change their controller because people are calling it unconventional then that will be because they are unsure of themselves, but we all know that won't happen.

(4) We don't even have an idea of how much the console will cost. We don't even have a range. The only thing we have are Kutaragi's statement's, which are almost signalling the people to be ready for a big price.

(5) Development cost's are going to be insanely high for the PS3. I think everyone know's that.

Are you sure this arguement is completely pointless?

EDIT: And as far as your statement of only 5-6 game's have been announced for the Revolution goes, start counting:
                http://revolution.ign.com/articles/692/692479p1.html
                Last edited by BiSONN; 03-26-2006, 12:44 PM.

Comment

^i thought sony has come out and said expect the ps3 to be around 500 bucks..

I agree that sony is feeling the pressure because the company is hurting right now, but with the lineup of games they have already who wouldnt buy a ps3?

As far as the controller, it really didnt look all that bad. I dont know why people got all bent out of shape about it. But i heard something that they might be changing the controller because of a lawsuit. idk if theres any truth to that.

I think the revoultion will struggle. It has already come out and said it wont be a graphical powerhouse like the 360 and ps3, it'll have some exclusives(mario, zelda etc) but since the technologies will be so different the revolution wont get some of the games the 360 and ps3 will have. They are relying heavily on the controller and its practicality. Not to mention its going to be released after sony. I'd say the pressure is on nintendo
                  i have a belly full of white dog poop and you lay this shit on me?

Comment

(1) While that is true, it has little influence on GAMES - the most essential part of a console. People really ain't buying it to watch movies - pretty much everyone has a DVD-player at home.

(2) They were supposed to launch the console this SUMMER, not March - April. The delay was due to problems with the blu-ray production (or whatever). Sony was well aware of that, they KNEW the PS3 wouldn't drop untill late 2006. They merely wanted to keep consumers from purchasing the 360.

(3) Personally, I had no problems with the controller whatsoever, but I probably prefer a DualShock 3, just as most PlayStation gamers do. Changing it isn't a sign of lack of confidence, it's a sign that they listen to gamers.

(4) As far as the predictions are concerned, we all know how accurate they are. Remember they predicted PS1 to be extremely expensive, but it didn't turn out like that. Or when they predicted the price of PS2 to go through the roof? Didn't happen either. PSP the same story.

(5) Nonsense.

Aside from that, I believe the Revolution will become a great console. I'll even get it myself, but to say they will win the console war is just plain ridiculous. The whole concept "console wars" in itself is pretty ridiculous too. I tend to just enjoy the consoles I play and I let everyone else do the same. If you believe Nintendo is superior, then more power to you.

Comment

Originally posted by soul intent
                      ^i thought sony has come out and said expect the ps3 to be around 500 bucks..
                      If that's true then that isn't exactly great news. I don't know about you, but $500 is a lot of money to spend on a gaming console. I don't what extra features it has that may show may that it's worth it, people will manily buy it to play game's.

I agree that sony is feeling the pressure because the company is hurting right now, but with the lineup of games they have already who wouldnt buy a ps3?
                      I'm not saying people won't. My post was in regard the the statement made by camakazi, ie., Sony is not under pressure.

As far as the controller, it really didnt look all that bad. I dont know why people got all bent out of shape about it. But i heard something that they might be changing the controller because of a lawsuit. idk if theres any truth to that.
                      That's the thing man. They seem unsure of themselves. If that's not a sign of pressure then I don't know what is.

I think the revoultion will struggle. It has already come out and said it wont be a graphical powerhouse like the 360 and ps3, it'll have some exclusives(mario, zelda etc) but since the technologies will be so different the revolution wont get some of the games the 360 and ps3 will have. They are relying heavily on the controller and its practicality. Not to mention its going to be released after sony. I'd say the pressure is on nintendo
                      Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. I hope you would agree with me on this. True, the game's which will be created on the PS3 and Xbox 360 will not be ported to the Revolution looking exactly the same. There will be a loss in terms of graphics, but how bad will it be? Do you actually think that the graphics on the Revolution will suck? No way. They just won't be on par with the other 2 consoles. That does NOT mean that they will be bad.

Also, look at it this way. The game's made for the Revolution (using the feature's of it's controller) will feel like they've been made for the Revolution. Know what I mean? When they'll be ported, developers will have to cut back on a lot of gameplay features. Sure, there will be a graphical update (increasing cost's), but is that something you would prefer over better gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by BiSONN
                        I'm not saying people won't. My post was in regard the the statement made by camakazi, ie., Sony is not under pressure.
                        You made that up. I never said Sony was not under pressure. I stated the article made asinine assumption of Sony being late, and how this would cause Nintendo to (somehow) "win". Do you honoustly believe Sony would lose 50% of it's installed base. Predictions say Sony will become market leader with 50% market share. The author of the article somehow believes Sony will lose half it's costumers because of a 6 month delay, which is ridiculous.

Comment

(1) While that is true, it has little influence on GAMES - the most essential part of a console. People really ain't buying it to watch movies - pretty much everyone has a DVD-player at home.
                          I thought we were arguing over the fact that if Sony is/isn't under pressure? IF Blu-Ray fail's that will be a big loss for Sony, right? Therefore it's under pressure as a company.

(2) They were supposed to launch the console this SUMMER, not March - April. The delay was due to problems with the blu-ray production (or whatever). Sony was well aware of that, they KNEW the PS3 wouldn't drop untill late 2006. They merely wanted to keep consumers from purchasing the 360.
                          Fair enough. It may have been a marketing ploy to keep people from purchasing a Xbox 360. I still see it differently. But these are only our opinions, so no point going back and forth over this.

(3) Personally, I had no problems with the controller whatsoever, but I probably prefer a DualShock 3, just as most PlayStation gamers do. Changing it isn't a sign of lack of confidence, it's a sign that they listen to gamers.
                          They're listeing to gamer's because they fucked up with the boomerang. That isn't a sign of confidence. Who know's what they'll come up with next.

(4) As far as the predictions are concerned, we all know how accurate they are. Remember they predicted PS1 to be extremely expensive, but it didn't turn out like that. Or when they predicted the price of PS2 to go through the roof? Didn't happen either. PSP the same story.
                          I din't quote any preditions. The President of Sony has been saying the console won't be cheap.

(5) Nonsense.
                          Excellent.

Aside from that, I believe the Revolution will become a great console. I'll even get it myself, but to say they will win the console war is just plain ridiculous. The whole concept "console wars" in itself is pretty ridiculous too. I tend to just enjoy the consoles I play and I let everyone else do the same. If you believe Nintendo is superior, then more power to you.
                          I agree. Nintendo won't sell the most number of consoles, for that to happen the mentality of the people towards the company needs to change. I was just pointing out to you that Sony is under pressure as a company, because that is the only part of huge article you pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by BiSONN
                            If that's true then that isn't exactly great news. I don't know about you, but $500 is a lot of money to spend on a gaming console. I don't what extra features it has that may show may that it's worth it, people will manily buy it to play game's.
                            That's the thing man. They seem unsure of themselves. If that's not a sign of pressure then I don't know what is.
                            Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. I hope you would agree with me on this. True, the game's which will be created on the PS3 and Xbox 360 will not be ported to the Revolution looking exactly the same. There will be a loss in terms of graphics, but how bad will it be? Do you actually think that the graphics on the Revolution will suck? No way. They just won't be on par with the other 2 consoles. That does NOT mean that they will be bad.
                            Also, look at it this way. The game's made for the Revolution (using the feature's of it's controller) will feel like they've been made for the Revolution. Know what I mean? When they'll be ported, developers will have to cut back on a lot of gameplay features. Sure, there will be a graphical update (increasing cost's), but is that something you would prefer over better gameplay?
                            First of all people are going to be thinking what a bargain.A Next Generation media player,Most powerful hardware,60gb hard disk drive,so on.

It is not a sign of pressure.People thought it didnt look the best or right,so Sony listened to the consumer and made the necessary modifcations.

Btw that bring another interesting point.If they port Revolutions games and make them graphically better,on top of the multiplatform games all systems have then thats GREAT NEWS.I think thats an added bonus.Cause on top of the exclusive games Sony+Microsoft have,on top of the standard multi-platform games,they will also have Revolution games created specifically for Revolution.

Also the release date has been known to be Japan ONLY in Spring,then late fall in America,THEN Europe around MArch 07.

Camakazi,everybody i know is saving up for a PS3,they disregard the 360 and i havent heard them mention the Revolution.
                            Last edited by Apathy; 03-26-2006, 01:23 PM.
                            Ready to pop you like the cork and wine
                            Ready to pop you like the cherry on a gorgeous dime

Comment

(5) Nonsense.

i agre almost with everithing on your post except the point 1 and the point 5 here's why

1: if the blu-ray has "little influence on GAMES" then why put it and make the console more expensive and even make the launch date of the console get pushe'd back?
                              so you saying that games are the principal part of a console then why the fuck is sony making the ps3 with blu-ray shit
                              i mean like you say almost every pepole has a dvd-player in his house why would you want a company make you pay more for something you are suposedly use for exclusivly play games?

5:the development cost of the ps3 it is a lot acording to what i have read
                              "YALL WAS TRYING TO RAP YOU WAS MAKING ME PROUD NOW YOU FUCKED UP DOWN ON YOU LUCK RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!!!!"-NAS-50 DISS
                              PROPS TO T & T FOR THE AVY

Comment

Post ad widget 300x250

Collapse

LATEST POSTS

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by basketballeven, Today, 02:28 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post pianofighting  
                              Started by Smilert, Today, 11:40 AM